ADVERTISEMENT

Is Haas a 2nd Round pick?

Aug 2, 2014
I’m curious to know what everyone thinks about Isaac Haas getting drafted tonight. Not hearing a peep about him and wondering if his legal issues are the cause of that.

Hammer and rails had an article about Haas with pros and cons. Based on the cons, I don't expect him to be drafted. The cons pointed out his lack of shooting range, defense, and his lack of aggressive rebounding skills. It said he doesn't go after the ball, but waits for it to come to him.

Based on Vince's tweets that he was injured during his team try-outs, which affected his ability to show off his skills. I doubt he is drafted either.

I can see Mathias, Vince and Haas all signing a Summer deal somewhere as camp fodder. I can't see any of the three actually making an NBA team. I still am trying to get over the pain of the Bucks drafting Michigan's Wilson in the first round last year. The Bucks are well known for their first round flops. Alexander, YI, Thon, Wilson, Traylor, Sissy, Lee....

Reactions: BoilerIron
Mathais might get drafted, and I think he is the most likely to make an NBA roster. Vince maybe.

One thing to keep in mind is that many teams will be drafting foreign players that are on no mock drafts in the 2nd round. They do this so they can keep them in European leagues until they want to bring them over to the NBA. This is called "draft and stash". This allows NBA teams to keep the rights to certain promising prospects, but they don't count against the NBA roster, or the salary cap for the team.

I say this, because there will be about 10 players drafted that this will happen to. That will significantly reduce the chance of some of these late round guys (PU players) getting drafted. I would imagine that all 3 go undrafted and sign a summer contract with a team. I don't see any of them actually making an NBA roster, however.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Ever? I’ll take that bet.

I also think VE gets drafted tonight. I’d love to see DM - he’s done exceptionally well in his workouts but I think he will get a shot this summer.
No, I don't think they make an NBA roster this year (could potentially in the future). Vince is an undersized, non athletic 3 man in the NBA. Heck of a college player, but the NBA is a different game. Mathias has the best chance of becoming an NBA regular imo.

I think DM has a very good chance of being drafted and It might be higher on the board than many think. We will see.

I read Detroit said Mathias was a possibility because they were looking for somebody efficient, but also cheap. But that article didn't come out of Detroit. When it comes to rating the future success of Purdue players, I tend to believe the national media more than the locals. the local media and fans have a tendency to be overly optimistic of Purdue players.

there's an article out of Portland questioning the drafting of Biggie claiming he's a bust. it suggested they should have used the pick and drafted Sterling brown instead.

Reactions: nagemj02
No, I don't think they make an NBA roster this year (could potentially in the future). Vince is an undersized, non athletic 3 man in the NBA. Heck of a college player, but the NBA is a different game. Mathias has the best chance of becoming an NBA regular imo.
I wouldn't bet on Vince making an NBA roster, but I don't know how Vince is undersized for the 3. Also, if those are the criteria that disqualify him, then I'm not sure why you are more optimistic about Mathias.

I wouldn't bet on Vince making an NBA roster, but I don't know how Vince is undersized for the 3. Also, if those are the criteria that disqualify him, then I'm not sure why you are more optimistic about Mathias.
Vince at 6'8" is on the smaller side for a small forward. With a wingspan of 7' he is also on the smaller side for a small forward. The defensive concerns are a major issue. Can you imagine Vince guarding Lebron, KD, or the Greek Freak?

Mathias is an elite shooter, and a better defender than Vince. Players his height have made a career of just knocking down 3s (Redick).

I read Detroit said Mathias was a possibility because they were looking for somebody efficient, but also cheap. But that article didn't come out of Detroit. When it comes to rating the future success of Purdue players, I tend to believe the national media more than the locals. the local media and fans have a tendency to be overly optimistic of Purdue players.

there's an article out of Portland questioning the drafting of Biggie claiming he's a bust. it suggested they should have used the pick and drafted Sterling brown instead.

Not to go on a tangent but what has been the issue with Biggie? Not enough minutes for his position? I can’t believe he’s considered a bust already.

I'm curious what you think the average size of an NBA SF is, but maybe you just have in your mind that Lebron, Durant, and Giannis are average NBA SFs.

They are the best, most explosive athletes in the game that no one can guard particularly well, but I believe Vince would have as good as time (if not better) trying to guard those players than Mathias.

Mathias was a better defender than Vince in college, but in the switching NBA I'm not sure things are as heavily in Mathias' favor.

Not to go on a tangent but what has been the issue with Biggie? Not enough minutes for his position? I can’t believe he’s considered a bust already.
I wouldn't consider him a bust at this point. He has the same problems that I outlined above for Vince. He is short for his position (6'8" PF). He is unathletic by NBA standards (Slow/Bad Vertical). His jumpshot last year was really bad (12% from 3). I was surprised a team took him in round 1 personally.

Reactions: pboiler18
I'm curious what you think the average size of an NBA SF is, but maybe you just have in your mind that Lebron, Durant, and Giannis are average NBA SFs.

They are the best, most explosive athletes in the game that no one can guard particularly well, but I believe Vince would have as good as time (if not better) trying to guard those players than Mathias.

Mathias was a better defender than Vince in college, but in the switching NBA I'm not sure things are as heavily in Mathias' favor.
The average height is 6'8" with a 7'1" wingspan (Vince 6'8" with 7' wingspan), so he actually measures up pretty well. He isn't the athlete to be in the NBA though. He doesn't project well as a defender, and his role in an offense projects as a catch and shoot player. He won't be a guy to put the ball on the floor and go to the basket. I would be shocked if he got drafted, and I would be floored if he actually made a team (real team not summer league team).

Part of the problem with biggie was that he was the second PF Portland took as a first round pick behind Gonzaga's Zach Collins. Portland fans didn't like the idea of using two first round picks to draft players at the same position, and felt that pick could have been better used at a different position.

and that also creates another problem. Collins was drafted with the #10 pick. and as an NBA club, if yo u are going to give out minutes to a rookie, the majority of those minutes would be given to Collins.

Biggie's problem was he was drafted by the wrong team into a wrong situation. he would have been a great pick for the Bucks who really needed a rebounder to allow Giannis to do his other things.

Reactions: CHUD in FL
He isn't the athlete to be in the NBA though. He doesn't project well as a defender, and his role in an offense projects as a catch and shoot player. He won't be a guy to put the ball on the floor and go to the basket. I would be shocked if he got drafted, and I would be floored if he actually made a team (real team not summer league team).
And I'm not sure I disagree with any of that. I just don't know how you could read the last few sentences you wrote and think it doesn't also apply to Mathias. If you think Vince was a bad defender on the wing this year, I'd ask you to provide examples. If it's just that he doesn't "project" well at the next level, I'd ask you why Mathias "projects" well.

And I'm not sure I disagree with any of that. I just don't know how you could read the last few sentences you wrote and think it doesn't also apply to Mathias. If you think Vince was a bad defender on the wing this year, I'd ask you to provide examples. If it's just that he doesn't "project" well at the next level, I'd ask you why Mathias "projects" well.
Mathias has an elite skill that Vince does not. Mathias can run off screens and catch and shoot off balance (like redick or korver). Mathias was a two time big ten defensive team member. He projects to be a "3 and D" guy in the pros.

I don't think either of them make a real NBA roster fwiw.

I don't believe any of them project well into the current NBA's game. I do believe if they have an opportunity to play for a summer team, they may draw some interest from a Euro team.

the key is not that they lack talent. it's more that their skills do not match the current way the NBA plays.

and as one poster above said, because of the salary cap, etc, a lot of NBA teams will draft Euro players and then not sign them and allow them to keep playing in Europe. This also hurts their chances of getting as the opportunities to play in Europe will be filled by players drafted by the NBA, but still playing in Europe.

I thought I saw where Giannis' other little brother declared for the draft. he doesn't really have talent, but somebody will probably take a flyer on him. Ball's brother also has very little talent. Will some NBA team take a flyer on him? hopefully not. the question is, would NBA teams take flyers on a guy like Ball over Vince and Mathias?

I see Diop is a projected NBA first round pick. What does he have that Vince doesn't?

Mathias has an elite skill that Vince does not. Mathias can run off screens and catch and shoot off balance (like redick or korver). Mathias was a two time big ten defensive team member. He projects to be a "3 and D" guy in the pros.

I don't think either of them make a real NBA roster fwiw.
Here's to hoping they do! In my opinion, they were two of the easiest guys to root for imaginable, and I think both of them have capitalized on their potential and then some. I would love to see them succeed, and I'm sure you would too. Boiler up!

Here's to hoping they do! In my opinion, they were two of the easiest guys to root for imaginable, and I think both of them have capitalized on their potential and then some. I would love to see them succeed, and I'm sure you would too. Boiler up!
Oh I completely agree. I'm hoping nothing but the best for those guys. I'm just trying to look at them through the eyes of an NBA GM.

Hammer and rails had an article about Haas with pros and cons. Based on the cons, I don't expect him to be drafted. The cons pointed out his lack of shooting range, defense, and his lack of aggressive rebounding skills. It said he doesn't go after the ball, but waits for it to come to him.

Based on Vince's tweets that he was injured during his team try-outs, which affected his ability to show off his skills. I doubt he is drafted either.

I can see Mathias, Vince and Haas all signing a Summer deal somewhere as camp fodder. I can't see any of the three actually making an NBA team. I still am trying to get over the pain of the Bucks drafting Michigan's Wilson in the first round last year. The Bucks are well known for their first round flops. Alexander, YI, Thon, Wilson, Traylor, Sissy, Lee....
H&R is trash, but the points are right. Will be shocked if he is drafted.

H&R is trash, but the points are right. Will be shocked if he is drafted.

I can't attest to the validity of H&R. I know many people on this site trash that site. I'm not sure why.

What I can say is that I read more than one web site before forming an opinion. and the only one I found saying anything positive about our Boilermaker's chances of being drafted were ones that were local or related to Purdue.

if you go to a national site, or an NBA team fans site, none of the Purdue players are even mentioned. not even Carsen is included in NBANET's 2019 mock draft.

So maybe H&R isn't trash. maybe it's just saying the truth that Purdue fans just don't want to hear.

The NBA is an enormous step even from elite D1 college basketball. VE, DM and IH were all great Boilermakers and have a place in Purdue history. Just my opinion, but I think most college fans overestimate the NBA potential of the "stars" on their team. CE and NE may get there, but the jury is still out in my mind. All four of our seniors from the past season can make a living playing basketball somewhere, I just doubt it is the NBA. I think DM has an outside chance.

Ok. I’m good with this take.

Hammer and rails had an article about Haas with pros and cons. Based on the cons, I don't expect him to be drafted. The cons pointed out his lack of shooting range, defense, and his lack of aggressive rebounding skills. It said he doesn't go after the ball, but waits for it to come to him..

Could have gotten a better scouting report from the homeless guy on the street.

Vince has the best chance of getting drafted, the way the league is going he is looking more of a small ball 4 than a 3 because of his quickness. He probably has a 25 percent chance of getting drafted. He is in some mocks but not most.

I think Mathias is the better prospect than haas. Haas weights way to much he should slim down to what he came in at to try and have a chance since he has great lenght. Really though Haas never developed anything for the NBA I would think he would try to develop a jumper since he can shoot free throws but no.

I am the highest on Mathias of all of the guys relatively but he will be one of the worst athletes in the NBA if he makes it. As a 3 point shooter with passable defense. He probably has the smallest chance of getting drafted though. I think Vince has a slightly better chance at sticking overal

I’m curious to know what everyone thinks about Isaac Haas getting drafted tonight. Not hearing a peep about him and wondering if his legal issues are the cause of that.
My bet is that if he doesn't get NBA $$$ his "legal troubles" go away.

Reactions: mathboy
One thing to keep in mind is that many teams will be drafting foreign players that are on no mock drafts in the 2nd round. They do this so they can keep them in European leagues until they want to bring them over to the NBA. This is called "draft and stash". This allows NBA teams to keep the rights to certain promising prospects, but they don't count against the NBA roster, or the salary cap for the team.

I say this, because there will be about 10 players drafted that this will happen to. That will significantly reduce the chance of some of these late round guys (PU players) getting drafted. I would imagine that all 3 go undrafted and sign a summer contract with a team. I don't see any of them actually making an NBA roster, however.
I think this is one reason why the draft should gonto three rounds. Rounds 1 and 2 are guaranteed contracts and Round 3 gives teams options for guarenteed contracts or a two year developmental contract to ‘draft and stash’ overseas or play in the G League. Allow high school players to enter and not hurt their status as eligible for college but must remain away from an agent and have an earlier declaration date to allow entrance in to college programs at a decent time.

I think this is one reason why the draft should gonto three rounds. Rounds 1 and 2 are guaranteed contracts and Round 3 gives teams options for guarenteed contracts or a two year developmental contract to ‘draft and stash’ overseas or play in the G League. Allow high school players to enter and not hurt their status as eligible for college but must remain away from an agent and have an earlier declaration date to allow entrance in to college programs at a decent time.
2nd rounders do not get guaranteed contracts on the 1st 30 picks

Kind of surprised Diop has fallen so far. I noticed the latest mock draft pegged him for the second round.

Brunson makes player of the year, and goes in the second round so in typical fashion, my Bucks pick the guy who comes off the bench at Villanova. in the first round .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT