ADVERTISEMENT

Is Edey Painter’s best college player?

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
Matt Painter has had a lot of great players at Purdue. Standouts include Ivey, Carsen Edwards, and Swanigan, just in the last few years. In terms of NBA potential, Ivey is clearly Painter’s top prospect, but on a college level I thought that Swanigan and Edwards (and maybe even JaJuan Johnson) were better. Question is whether Edey is best yet. It’s hard to compare Carsen, but Swanigan played the same position and was an All American with monster stats.

From what I have seen this season, I would clearly take Edey. I feel like he is more dominant, particularly on defense, but really on both ends of the court.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Pre injury, I would say Hummel.

He could play inside or out. He could score inside or out. He could play defense and rebound. He made his teammates better, and he was a calming influence on the team, when teams would try to go on a run against us.

All could be debated but I believe Hummel was the best overall player Painter has had. Injuries happen. If Rob could have avoided the type he had, no reason he would not have had a long NBA career.

Talent-wise, I think the best college player Painter has had was AJ Hammons. Production-wise, I agree with the comments above.

If talking per 40 minutes, especially this season’s pace if he keeps it up, Edey - hands down. Nobody in the country seems to have an answer for him. In one night, he fouled out two of the top five recruits in the country on perhaps the most talented team in Duke - and the kicker is they knew it was coming, not like his skill set or the plan to feed him took them by surprise.

Well, just wait until Zach unleashes his monstrous treys.
He is holding that off as a surprise come the March!
Zach will become the third on Boiler treys list in two weekends!!

OK, ok, may be by the March '24?!

Boiler Up!!

Reactions: FiveWeight
Well, just wait until Zach unleashes his monstrous treys.
He is holding that off as a surprise come the March!
Zach will become the third on Boiler treys list in two weekends!!

OK, ok, may be by the March '24?!

Boiler Up!!
CMP said he gets to shoot one since he got 20 rebounds.

I've said this before, Jajuan Johnson was better than Swanigan. Consensus 1st team AA. BIG POY, BIG DPOY, BIG scoring leader all his senior year. Jajuan was so impactful on both sides of the court. Caleb was elite rebounder and very good offensively, but JaJuan was the complete package. Huge fan of both guys. Gotta have Jajuan in top 3 at least.

After reading all of the above, I may be premature in putting Edey #1, but if he keeps it up all year I will have him there.

I knew that Edey was very good when he was a freshman, but I realized that he would be great when I saw him on the Canadian team the following summer in the U19 championship. He went up against a US team with Holmgren, Ivey, and a bunch of all stars and was physically dominant. Canada came up a little short, but Edey made a huge statement.

Reactions: msm2 and Bill4411
1. Moore
2. Swanigan
3. Ivey
4. Edey
5. C. Edwards

Etwaun was a rock for 4 years. He more than held his own on D too.

Edey will be #1 if he keeps this up all year. So far it looks like he will. He is a monster.
Moore was always a team player who still got his own Ewards was a light them up in a second player Ivey once he starts hitting his 3 shot more will be outstanding Edey will be the hardest player to play against in college in years

For the amount of talent around him at Purdue, Carl Landry more than held his own against Greg Oden and the Big 3 of Florida in the NCAA Tournament. Purdue was the closest to beating the defending National Champs in 2007 NCAAs.

Carl Landry deserves a strong mention. Dude made DJ White look bad, too.

Carl Landry was a BEAST. And he was only 6'8'' or 6'9'' while playing center.

Edey is certainly in the discussion. It's fun to think that next year the list of candidates may be expanded.

"... you could make a compelling case for Colvin as the most talented player Painter has signed."
-- Brian Neubert

Reactions: TX4GB
For the amount of talent around him at Purdue, Carl Landry more than held his own against Greg Oden and the Big 3 of Florida in the NCAA Tournament. Purdue was the closest to beating the defending National Champs in 2007 NCAAs.

Has everyone forgotten the Big Dog? Or Joe Barry Carrol or Terry Dischinger or Rick Mount?

Reactions: Boiler8285
Y

You make a good point— Landry has certainly been Painter’s most successful player in the NBA as well.

For some reason I was thinking there was only a year overlap between them, but it looks like it was actually 2-3.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
I believe Painter may have had better players in the past but the competition was also much greater. As I look back 10 and 20 years, I have to believe the players were a lot better than today’s stars. Was Ivey or Carsen better than Paul or Wade? Is there anybody today as good as what Lew Alcindor or Walton were when they played at ucla? Is there a guard today that could do what pistol Pete or the big o could do? Were any of Painters players as good as big dog?

Edey may be the best player in today’s college basketball, but I’m not so sure how great he would be when compared with the past.

Was Rick Mount better than Wooden? Only do dah day would know for sure!

I think Edey needs to develop more range before he's a force in the NBA. He's got a huge size advantage now, and that won't be as much of a factor in the NBA, so he'll need to be a threat with a jump shot.

Painter has had quite a few good ones. Hasn't had the March success but just based off raw talent...

1. Jaden Ivey
2. Caleb Swanigan
3. Carsen Edwards
4. JaJuan Johnson
5. Carl Landry
6. E'Twaun Moore
7. Zach Edey
8. Robbie Hummel
9. AJ Hammons
10. Vince Edwards

Finally, someone with common sense! Also, Landry was the 31st player drafted and played 12 years in the NBA. Other than Teague, Landry was all we had of any note. Landry was the flagship for all other Bigs to follow. For many years he was Painters only NBA player most recruits knew. His rookie year he was all NBA 2nd team. I am not saying he is better than Zach but any list of Painters best damn well better have Landry on it IMO!

I think Edey needs to develop more range before he's a force in the NBA. He's got a huge size advantage now, and that won't be as much of a factor in the NBA, so he'll need to be a threat with a jump shot.
He will have a most difficult time trying to stop someone from scoring.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Finally, someone with common sense! Also, Landry was the 31st player drafted and played 12 years in the NBA. Other than Teague, Landry was all we had of any note. Landry was the flagship for all other Bigs to follow. For many years he was Painters only NBA player most recruits knew. His rookie year he was all NBA 2nd team. I am not saying he is better than Zach but any list of Painters best damn well better have Landry on it IMO!
Thanks!

Landry is completely forgotten because his Purdue team lost in the 2nd Round.

I still remember Landry's flat-footed dunks in the paint over guys his size and bigger after giving some head fakes. And he dunked it with force!

Landry was just as good statistically overall as Greg Oden. And Oden was the #1

overall pick. As strong as Caleb Swanigan was at fouling out other teams front

lines, I think Landry was even better at it.

Landry was just simply on much, much weaker Purdue teams and forgotten.

And still being Painter's best NBA player to date says a lot, too.

He could play inside or out. He could score inside or out. He could play defense and rebound. He made his teammates better, and he was a calming influence on the team, when teams would try to go on a run against us.
Edey is the frontrunner for POtY, and by a good margin. As great as Hummel was, he was not as dominant of a player as Edey is this year, and he'd be the first to tell you that.

Edey is the frontrunner for POtY, and by a good margin. As great as Hummel was, he was not as dominant of a player as Edey is this year, and he'd be the first to tell you that.
At the same time, there aren't the same type of great players in college basketball as there were when Hummel was playing.

Reactions: Wolegib

To put Zach's year in perspective, Robbie's per 40 minute stats still don't beat Zach's average this year.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT