ADVERTISEMENT

Is Edey Leaving or Not?

Feb 1, 2022
Nothing better to soothe the heartbreak then hearing he is coming back! If Edey has made the decision. I would let everyone know now. Add some life back into the fanbase or just pull off the bandaid fast and get it over with. I realize it might not be that simple; perhaps he wants to go through the evaluation process first. If I were him, I would be coming back. Can't end your college playing career this way!

Nothing better to soothe the heartbreak then hearing he is coming back! If Edey has made the decision. I would let everyone know now. Add some life back into the fanbase or just pull off the bandaid fast and get it over with. I realize it might not be that simple; perhaps he wants to go through the evaluation process first. If I were him, I would be coming back. Can't end your college playing career this way!
Meh. He’ll do what he does. Not losing sleep over it. Worst case is we’re forced to join the 21st century…

From what I've read he and his parents seem well educated. After 5-6 years of organized basketball and a quick rise to fame - my gut tells me they're not ready to let him wallow under uncertainty in some crazy places to play basketball. That may still happen - but I can see the family taking another year for clarity. The NBA is surely not an option right now. Probably not an option next year either. But the overseas options will be there if he wants it.

From what I've read he and his parents seem well educated. After 5-6 years of organized basketball and a quick rise to fame - my gut tells me they're not ready to let him wallow under uncertainty in some crazy places to play basketball. That may still happen - but I can see the family taking another year for clarity. The NBA is surely not an option right now. Probably not an option next year either. But the overseas options will be there if he wants it.
The NBA is absolutely an option.

It might not work out (like it doesn’t for about 75% of the guys drafted) but don’t let the performance of the rest of the team overshadow the fact that Zach is a unicorn and will absolutely get a shot to prove himself in the NBA

I'm gathering you guys didn't watch the post game interview from the locker room.

He said he would love to come back and play with guys he loves but the money offered may be too great to turn down. He concluded that he understands his earnings potential as a basketball player is limited and may have to take advantage of what he can now.

Love to see him stay, add some dimension to his game, Painter use him in pick n roll at times, mid range shot, open lanes for Colvin, Smith, and Heide🙂

Reactions: GregJM24
He is not a first rounder no guaranteed contract, but my guess is someone will take a flyer on him late in second. He needs to be able to shoot a short jumper 10-15 feet from basket.

Reactions: tenwest
He is not a first rounder no guaranteed contract, but my guess is someone will take a flyer on him late in second. He needs to be able to shoot a short jumper 10-15 feet from basket.
Exactly - he's not looking at life changing money. The overseas journeyman money will be there whenever he wants it though.

My guess he'll be back and have a fluid, more athletic Berg like we had in Tre. I want TKR and Furst to be more athletic bigs shooting mid range shots. Then go get 2 gritty guards add in Heide, Colvin and another year for our back court. Paint just needs to get out of the way during tournament time.

Also, Zach needs to work on his passing out of the paint or cutters. He's just not NBA worthy, yet.

Last edited:
Hope so. Thanks for all that he has done. Great kid and player.

Now, let's move on FOR GOOD from the plodding, lost-post big man offense.

It doesn't work when it counts.

Reactions: steakman765
seems like Edey was smart and put NIL on notice—they better pay up.

Is it possible a different college team has more NIL and offers it to him?

Don’t care. When has having a dominant player in the low post worked in March? 1978?

It doesn't work when everyone else other than the star center turns the ball over and shoots 28%. Not sure even if Edey was a pro ready guard that Purdue could have won
this is spot on... This so-called system works all season until the tourney...why is that? Could it be the supporting cast lays an egg when it matters most? wait, I think we missed another wide open shot, and another.

this is spot on... This so-called system works all season until the tourney...why is that? Could it be the supporting cast lays an egg when it matters most? wait, I think we missed another wide open shot, and another.
You're right but the supporting cast has been running on fumes since early February, Mason Gillis against Penn State excepted. :/

Whats there to stay for? Unless Purdue plays some zone theyll run into a team with five shooters eventually and it will end in disaster.

Kin
seems like Edey was smart and put NIL on notice—they better pay up.

Is it possible a different college team has more NIL and offers it to him?
I also thought that about his comment.
Pony up some TJD or DICKINSON type money or I’m gone.

Reactions: DannyGranger
I'm gathering you guys didn't watch the post game interview from the locker room.

He said he would love to come back and play with guys he loves but the money offered may be too great to turn down. He concluded that he understands his earnings potential as a basketball player is limited and may have to take advantage of what he can now.
Exactly. I did watch that post-game interview. In the end, I think it’s difficult to be optimistic about his return given the financial implications at stake in his decision.Reading between the lines of what he’ said, it sounded to me as if he’s come to terms with the fact that the money may be more important at this point. Sure can’t blame him. If thst’s what he decides.

Kin

I also thought that about his comment.
Pony up some TJD or DICKINSON type money or I’m gone.
Good for him. His best way to maximize earnings next year is to get an NIL deal in line with a returning NPOY. Purdue better pony up- he’s earned it. Hell the IL C a couple of years back got 7 figures, right?

Reactions: GregJM24
IMO, he's leaving. To change that, 2 things would need to happen:

#1. Huge NIL package put together by PU

#2 - CMP assures him he will get to play some significant time away from the basket. Both on offense and defense. This is the only way he can show the league that he can do it on a regular basis. Coming back and playing like he did this year does ZERO for his NBA stock. He has to show he can shoot away from the hoop and play defense away from it. Otherwise he is Tshiebwe from Kentucky

IMO, he's leaving. To change that, 2 things would need to happen:

#1. Huge NIL package put together by PU

#2 - CMP assures him he will get to play some significant time away from the basket. Both on offense and defense. This is the only way he can show the league that he can do it on a regular basis. Coming back and playing like he did this year does ZERO for his NBA stock. He has to show he can shoot away from the hoop and play defense away from it. Otherwise he is Tshiebwe from Kentucky
#3 he gets NBA feedback and no one makes a guarantee he'll be drafted.

Berg looks to be a more fluid big for a deep tourney run. Let's assume he's gone. Now, go get 2/3 athletic, gritty players.

Thank Zach and let him do his thing.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
#3 he gets NBA feedback and no one makes a guarantee he'll be drafted.
I think that is almost a certainty. I was saying that once he gets that feedback he will only come back to PU if my #1 and #2 are done. If they aren't he will either go to the NBA anyway and take his chances or he will play professionally some where other than the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT