ADVERTISEMENT

Is Eastern Fibbing?

There was a distinct negative vibe to the team last year. It will not just be gone, but will be replaced with a very positive vibe. that will far outweigh any "good" that stats may show in a comparison between nojel and morton.
Do you know that Haarms and Nojel were responsible for the negativity? Losing typically leads to a negative vibe for any team.

Do you know that Haarms and Nojel were responsible for the negativity? Losing typically leads to a negative vibe for any team.
MOOT - having little or no practical relevance, typically because the subject is too uncertain to allow a decision.

Was Eric Hunter better than Nojel offensively as a freshman? Not sure where you guys get the notion that freshman that are not elite recruits come in and produce at a high level. It doesn’t really happen.

Morton is a solid 4 year prospect, but you guys are acting like this guy is going to turn your team around next year.

Jaden Ivey and Brandon Newman have the best chance to help offensively. Regardless it’s probably a long year for Purdue next year. The following year I think they could be getting back to top of conference though.

Was Eric Hunter better than Nojel offensively as a freshman? Not sure where you guys get the notion that freshman that are not elite recruits come in and produce at a high level. It doesn’t really happen.

Morton is a solid 4 year prospect, but you guys are acting like this guy is going to turn your team around next year.

Jaden Ivey and Brandon Newman have the best chance to help offensively. Regardless it’s probably a long year for Purdue next year. The following year I think they could be getting back to top of conference though.
Just so you understand, I also do not put high expectations on any freshmen. I think Morton will quickly work into the rotation, but I expect Thompson to run the team next year. I expect more contribution from Ivey and Newman, but we will see. Do Da is not often wrong. He might be very accurate in calling this long shot. If he’s right, we are going to be a force in the BIG next year.

Last years team did not win at the rate we expected. They were in most games and had their chance at winning, but often made critical mistakes at the wrong times. It is not like we were uncompetitive. We have sufficient athletic skills to compete, and win most games. I attribute those mistakes to the team lacking leadership. We can point to several issues that caused that. Once the combination of (1) losing close games through mistakes and (2) some personal frustrations by key starters sets in, the negative vibe thing gets going.

Just so you understand, I also do not put high expectations on any freshmen. I think Morton will quickly work into the rotation, but I expect Thompson to run the team next year. I expect more contribution from Ivey and Newman, but we will see. Do Da is not often wrong. He might be very accurate in calling this long shot. If he’s right, we are going to be a force in the BIG next year.

Last years team did not win at the rate we expected. They were in most games and had their chance at winning, but often made critical mistakes at the wrong times. It is not like we were uncompetitive. I attribute those mistakes to the team lacking leadership. We can point to several issues that caused that. Once the combination of (1) losing close games through mistakes and (2) some personal frustrations by key starters sets in, the negative vibe thing gets going.

Lack of leadership was huge. Cline has mentioned multiple times a key factor to the success the year before was the leadership of Grady and Carsen and how well the team got along.

Last years team did not win at the rate we expected. They were in most games and had their chance at winning, but often made critical mistakes at the wrong times. It is not like we were uncompetitive. We have sufficient athletic skills to compete, and win most games. I attribute those mistakes to the team lacking leadership. We can point to several issues that caused that. Once the combination of (1) losing close games through mistakes and (2) some personal frustrations by key starters sets in, the negative vibe thing gets going.
That’s fair. Do you have a prediction on how your team will be next year? Obviously a lot of unknowns.

That’s fair. Do you have a prediction on how your team will be next year? Obviously a lot of unknowns.
much better than last year. Will that result in wins, I think so, but hard to quantify, but again, that intangible that has no elephant in the lockerroom ...

Reactions: TrojanFan004
Nope but played and have coached long enough to see that there was a lack of leadership. There was a lack of buying in. You don’t wake up one day and say I will transfer. If the returning guys were asked about those 2 last year they would have some stories that now would make sense. There was a big lack of cohesion and consistency from the group. Leaders don’t jump off the ship they stay and lead it to a better place by example. Just because you are an upperclassman doesn’t make you a leader. Some upperclassman don't get that . You have to earn it. Underclassman aren’t stupid. They know who is truly working the extra hours when the coaches aren’t around. And based on the results or lack there of it sure wasn’t those 2 juniors. I believe some serious selfishness just left the program. The last time that happened ( Ronnie Johnson) Purdue took a nice jump forward.

Nope but played and have coached long enough to see that there was a lack of leadership. There was a lack of buying in. You don’t wake up one day and say I will transfer. If the returning guys were asked about those 2 last year they would have some stories that now would make sense. There was a big lack of cohesion and consistency from the group. Leaders don’t jump off the ship they stay and lead it to a better place by example. Just because you are an upperclassman doesn’t make you a leader. Some upperclassman don't get that . You have to earn it. Underclassman aren’t stupid. They know who is truly working the extra hours when the coaches aren’t around. And based on the results or lack there of it sure wasn’t those 2 juniors. I believe some serious selfishness just left the program. The last time that happened ( Ronnie Johnson) Purdue took a nice jump forward.
BINGO .., and well said ...

That’s an interesting perspective.

Two questions for clarification.

1. Didn't the NCAA recently change their ruling about players declaring for the draft, but being able to keep their eligibility if not drafted? Wasn't that a factor in the creation of the G league where players could get paid with the promise of a college scholarship? As for Eastern actually being drafted ? I have to believe the reality of the last 2 NBA drafts will reveal the answer.

2. we often talk about a player isn't a member of a team until he actually attends a class. I've seen many posts about players and hoping we may be able to flip them etc, and that enrolling / attending class is that last day. I ask because until Eastern actually attends a class at Michigan, isn't he still on scholarship at Purdue? and couldn't he go to Summer school at Purdue? and maybe even graduate from Purdue and become a grad transfer an play immediately? With everything shut down, how hard would it be to finish his degree online? and along the same lines, until he actually enrolls at Michigan, isn't there the possibility he could end up elsewhere... like Western Michigan? We've seen a lot of players commit to one school, and then mysteriously end up playing for a different one. I could be mistaken, but I recall Mrs Reed talking about Bowen a few years back and they were AAU teammates. It was in response to one of my queries about why hasn't he signed with anybody ? and why hasn't painter tried to recruit him? Didn't little also commit to about three schools before ending up somewhere unexpected? I'm not saying show money is involved. I'm just saying if no scholarship is offered, Eastern could possibly end up going elsewhere. SIU just lost a player. Admittedly, they are not a big time program, but they play some decent schools, and are usually a bubble team. and NO, SIU hasn't mentioned his name. but it is possible.

3. This is a rhetorical question. technically, if neither Haarms or Eastern attend a class / enrolls, couldn't they both come back to Purdue. I know the likelihood is zero. that bridge is scorched and no longer navigable. but technically couldn't both players say this was all just fake news, or they were just baiting GBI, and they had a change of heart and are coming back?

4. I am reminded of the Clemson QB that transferred to OSU, and the NCAA granted him immediate playing ability because he claimed harassment / threats or something to that affect while playing at Clemson. Couldn't Eastern try to claim the exact same thing using posts from this board over the past three years? and mentioning how many threads about her son had to be completely deleted because of those cyber bullies on this board? is it possible she may try to use this forum to gain immediate playing time much like the Clemson QB did ?

5. as for Eastern ever playing for Michigan. I already voiced my opinion in a different thread and on the first page of this one. It was pure speculation on my part. But I've noticed many of you are speculating my exact same thoughts. I'm not changing my opinion any time soon.

6. as for the post that read Lies. I think a deal fell through. I remember buying a car. I was offered $2500 as a trade in. As I was about to buy the car, after going to a competitor, the salesman said he was mistaken and m y trade-in was only worth $1500. is it possible a scout said some great things about Eastern's abilities at an evaluation, and then changed his mind? in other words: LIES !

My apologies in advance for the brevity of this post. and to those of you who choose to access this forum via your cell phones. peace ! out !!

Last edited:
Lack of leadership was huge. Cline has mentioned multiple times a key factor to the success the year before was the leadership of Grady and Carsen and how well the team got along.
I felt the same and mentioned it but many on here were critical of the thought. Always felt the talent was there, but rather a lack of leadership to lead men into war.

There are so many unknowns predicting next year is really difficult. If I break down the issues, I would approach it this way:

(1) Who will play the Power Forward position? Wheeler is the most likely starter, but I can see Painter going to a smaller line up with Sasha playing a wing position. The unknown here is how good is Gillis. I will assume he come off the bench behind Wheeler.

(2) Who is the backup for Williams? I’ll take the devil I know (Dow) over the devil I don’t know (Eden).

(3) I will assume that the shooting issues when being away from home are greatly improved with maturity. Eric, Sasha, IT, and Wheeler especially work off season to improve their shooting. As a group, I will assume a 10% improvement.

(4) IT replaces Jelly, and we see a better assist to turnover ratio, and scoring from the PG spot. I think he will average around 10 ppg. His average last year was 5.6 ppg with limited playing time as a freshman.

(5) One of the freshman guards, Newman, Ivey, or Morton will crack the starting line up by BIG season as a scorer.

Last year we were close in at least 10 games of the 15 we lost. We also uncharacteristically lost 3 games at home we should have won. Our shooting woes away from home caused us to lose to some teams we should have pounded, like Nebraska. I think we can turn these issues around and win at least 10 more games than we did last year.

I will go out on a shaky limb an predict something like a 25-6 record before the BIG tourney. That might put us in the top 4 of 5he BIG. I do stand ready to eat crow because I have not closely followed Other BIG teams. I do know Illinois might make some noise next year. MSU is always tough. I just hope we play next year!

I wouldn’t expect you to understand how Morton will make our offense better immediately.

There are so many unknowns predicting next year is really difficult. If I break down the issues, I would approach it this way:

(1) Who will play the Power Forward position? Wheeler is the most likely starter, but I can see Painter going to a smaller line up with Sasha playing a wing position. The unknown here is how good is Gillis. I will assume he come off the bench behind Wheeler.

(2) Who is the backup for Williams? I’ll take the devil I know (Dow) over the devil I don’t know (Eden).

(3) I will assume that the shooting issues when being away from home are greatly improved with maturity. Eric, Sasha, IT, and Wheeler especially work off season to improve their shooting. As a group, I will assume a 10% improvement.

(4) IT replaces Jelly, and we see a better assist to turnover ratio, and scoring from the PG spot. I think he will average around 10 ppg. His average last year was 5.6 ppg with limited playing time as a freshman.

(5) One of the freshman guards, Newman, Ivey, or Morton will crack the starting line up by BIG season as a scorer.

Last year we were close in at least 10 games of the 15 we lost. We also uncharacteristically lost 3 games at home we should have won. Our shooting woes away from home caused us to lose to some teams we should have pounded, like Nebraska. I think we can turn these issues around and win at least 10 more games than we did last year.

I will go out on a shaky limb an predict something like a 25-6 record before the BIG tourney. That might put us in the top 4 of 5he BIG. I do stand ready to eat crow because I have not closely followed Other BIG teams. I do know Illinois might make some noise next year. MSU is always tough. I just hope we play next year!
Those are some lofty predictions... particularly the 43% from 3 as a group. We will see what happens...

Those are some lofty predictions... particularly the 43% from 3 as a group. We will see what happens...
I just want to see us shoot better when away from home - that’s where the 10% number is really applicable. I am not sure we can improve on our home-shooting that much. Like I said, I am fully prepared to eat crow.

I just want to see us shoot better when away from home - that’s where the 10% number is really applicable. I am not sure we can improve on our home-shooting that much. Like I said, I am fully prepared to eat crow.

I think a 10% improvement from the year prior is egregious but don't think it's out of the question for Purdue to see a significant improvement for a variety of reasons. With Haarms and Nojel gone, probably a good bet that Purdue primarily plays inside out through Williams who I have to say is a phenomenal passer, and not just for his size either. I think it's reasonable to expect Purdue to make a higher percentage of shots but on a lower volume of attempts. I can't imagine Wheeler shooting as bad as he did last year and if he does his minutes will likely be cut drastically. Sasha was an anomaly last year. His home/road splits were some of the most bi-polar averages that I have seen in quite some time. I'm always leery on freshman and first year players shooting at a decent clip from deep, but guys like Newman and Ivey are definitely upgrades from Eastern.

I think a 10% improvement from the year prior is egregious but don't think it's out of the question for Purdue to see a significant improvement for a variety of reasons. With Haarms and Nojel gone, probably a good bet that Purdue primarily plays inside out through Williams who I have to say is a phenomenal passer, and not just for his size either. I think it's reasonable to expect Purdue to make a higher percentage of shots but on a lower volume of attempts. I can't imagine Wheeler shooting as bad as he did last year and if he does his minutes will likely be cut drastically. Sasha was an anomaly last year. His home/road splits were some of the most bi-polar averages that I have seen in quite some time. I'm always leery on freshman and first year players shooting at a decent clip from deep, but guys like Newman and Ivey are definitely upgrades from Eastern.
Now that I think about it, 10% improvement seems a bit high. How about we hit 10% of the shots we missed. Shoot 100 times and miss 80. That’s 20% shooting. 10% of those misses is 8. That brings the shooting to 28%. I can see that much improvement. Especially shooting on the road. The kids we are talking about, SS, IT, EH, etc., are known to be good shooters. I just want their shooting mojo to stay with them when they leave West Lafayette.

As a Hoosier fan this is kind of ridiculous. Maybe Morton only scores 6-8 points, but he is going to score those much more efficiently. He will shoot better form outside and make the team better offensively. He also will not miss free throws at the rate NE did. The increased offensive efficiency is going to have a positive impact on his team mates.

Mortons drive to improve and unselfishness on the court jumped out to me in just the 5 min highlight video I watched. He will be one of the harder workers on the team and will buy into the program early. Players like this under Painter have been difference makers and natural leaders. I don’t think Morton will be any different. Not saying he’s our savior by any means, but his presence will help for sure.

As a Hoosier fan this is kind of ridiculous. Maybe Morton only scores 6-8 points, but he is going to score those much more efficiently. He will shoot better form outside and make the team better offensively. He also will not miss free throws at the rate NE did. The increased offensive efficiency is going to have a positive impact on his team mates.
Well said.

Math. I'm rubbing off on you. that post was dare I say. wolegibish in length?

My two quick thoughts. I believe Ivey or Morton will start and IT will continue his 6h man role. I believe IT has the combo of being able to score and distribute to provide a steadying force in that role. Hunter may shift to the 3.

the key will be if Dow or Eden can step up and give us a consistent 20 minutes a game. We don't need them to score, but rather to give tre some rest and be there if he gets into foul trouble. I believe Tre will average 30+ minutes. I'm not expecting much from Wheeler other than minutes. I'm not expecting much from Gillis coming back off his injury. He's also a bit short to go u p against the better 4's in the league. He could easily prove me wrong.

Math. I'm rubbing off on you. that post was dare I say. wolegibish in length?

My two quick thoughts. I believe Ivey or Morton will start and IT will continue his 6h man role. I believe IT has the combo of being able to score and distribute to provide a steadying force in that role. Hunter may shift to the 3.

the key will be if Dow or Eden can step up and give us a consistent 20 minutes a game. We don't need them to score, but rather to give tre some rest and be there if he gets into foul trouble. I believe Tre will average 30+ minutes. I'm not expecting much from Wheeler other than minutes. I'm not expecting much from Gillis coming back off his injury. He's also a bit short to go u p against the better 4's in the league. He could easily prove me wrong.

Bigs, overall that was a good post. Well thought out, concise, rational... WTH is wrong with you today?! ;)

Some random thoughts...
  • "wolegibish" sounds unbelievably close to "gibberish"... (just sayin')
  • Tre' went from 10 mpg as a FR to 21 as a SO. If we can get him to those 30 mpg as a Jr we will "only" need Dow and/or Edey to step in for possibly 5-10 mpg (allowing for some "small ball" from time-to-time, if it works). If one or both are ready for more PT, all the better.
  • I think Morton will eventually get his PT as a FR, but I think Ivey gets the nod sooner due to our need for scoring.
  • I'm on the Mason Gillis bandwagon; we have had some REALLY solid 6'6" and 6'7" 4's over the years. I think he's going to surprise with production and minutes.

Yes Hunter was and Isaiah Thompson was as well. And not to pile on Eastern but just about everyone was better offensively as freshmen than him. I do agree about Ivey and Newman

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT