ADVERTISEMENT

Is Eastern Fibbing?

How were Teague and Landry rated coming out of high school? I doubt they were five stars.

Teague was a very good high school player. Rankings weren't nearly as prevalent back then but Teague played on one of the all-time Pike teams and won two state titles. Played along side Chris Thomas who was a McDonald's AA that ended up at ND and ran away with Mr. Basketball in 2001. Was arguably the third best player on that team, Justin Cage was a sophomore and eventual Mr. Basketball winner a few years later. If I remember correctly Teague spent a year out east at a Prep School before enrolling at Purdue.

Last edited:
George did show up and "worked" on the Pensky file for a week even though hadn't been formally hired. This was in the episode "The Barber."

Some classic lines in that episode --

George: I enjoy understanding.

Jerry: I want you to have this job, of course sodomy is a prerequisite.

George: Mr. Pensky. I was just working on your file. I was transferring the contents of the file into this flexible accordion-style folder.

George: Well bear in mind I am in the smaller office.
ncaHgN.gif

And there was also the infamous job @ Pendant Publishing, which ended based on some "extra-curricular" activities with the cleaning lady - (and involved a white cashmere sweater with a red dot)

"Was that wrong Should I not have done that?"

tenor.gif

bd70a0f4-ad5f-4936-9a78-81ae95b785fa_screenshot.jpg

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
As noted above, Jeff Teague and Carl Landry didn't play in Painters 1st year as Coach, due to injury.

Jeff Teague never played for Painter.

But that isn’t the point. The point made was what the coaches inherited. Painter did inherit those 2

I would have gladly taken Morton, I just don’t think he’s going to have the impact as a freshman that the Purdue fans posting on the IU board seem to think he’s going to have in comparison to losing Nojel. Context helps in these kind of situations.
I truly had respect for your opinion until this ... to think that Morton will not surpass the contribution that NE would have made this year seem totally out of touch with the word "coach."

Reactions: Inspector100
this forum is getting almost unreadable. just about every thread gets hijacked by a couple guys arguing about something completely unrelated to the topic.
most probably don't care at all about what they're arguing about. having the last word must make you the winner...smh
last year, about this time, I chose to not look here ... I came back in late fall.... worked out well ...

I truly had respect for your opinion until this ... to think that Morton will not surpass the contribution that NE would have made this year seem totally out of touch with the word "coach."
I don’t know that I would jump to either conclusion. I have yet to see Morton play in a college game. Nojel, bless his confused little heart, was all BIG defense. That is a big hill for Morton to climb. I have my suspicions that Morton is going to be very good, but will he catch up to the speed of the game and learn the offense quick enough to contribute what Eastern might have this next year?

I think you have to look at the whole team situation, and not just boxing two players and comparing. Second, I think you must consider that Eastern’s anxiety and discouragement had an effect on the team. Hence, his leaving will remove some negative aspects of the locker room Environment. I don’t know how to measure the negative issues so I will just leave it at that.

I think it will be Thompson and not Morton that replaces Eastern. Thompson is going to make his leap from freshman to sophomore and we are going to be very impressed with his performance. I expect him to really make the team run as a dynamic PG. Morton is going to back him up and make some nice plays, but it will be IT that really replaces Eastern. He was already replacing Eastern in end-of-game situations late in last season.

IT is a great ball handler, good shooter, and a facilitator. I think he is the starting PG, and Morton will have a tough time knocking him to the bench.

How?

Nojel was a superior athlete and one of the best on-ball defenders in the B10 if not the country. Morton is a high IQ player that is highly skillful, but he's not an elite athlete nor does his game translate to an exceptional scorer at this level. I'm curious to what you think Morton's production is going to be next year? If you say 10 pts and 6 assts I'm going to laugh at you. Fans tend to put extremely and unnecessarily high expectations on incoming freshman to the point they always disappoint. The adjustment to not only the speed of the game at this level but to the level of competition is night and day different from high school. That's why there are very few freshman who can come in an immediately produce at a high level. No knock on Morton, I just don't see him being one of those guys from day 1.

I think a stat line of 5pts and 2-3 assts for a freshman Morton is a pretty reasonable take, but at the end of the day, his defense will dictate his minutes. Morton won't come anywhere close to picking up the slack on the defensive end that Nojel leaves behind. Disagree with my take all you want, but that's a reasonable expectation for Morton.

-signed Coach

How?

Nojel was a superior athlete and one of the best on-ball defenders in the B10 if not the country. Morton is a high IQ player that is highly skillful, but he's not an elite athlete nor does his game translate to an exceptional scorer at this level. I'm curious to what you think Morton's production is going to be next year? If you say 10 pts and 6 assts I'm going to laugh at you. Fans tend to put extremely and unnecessarily high expectations on incoming freshman to the point they always disappoint. The adjustment to not only the speed of the game at this level but to the level of competition is night and day different from high school. That's why there are very few freshman who can come in an immediately produce at a high level. No knock on Morton, I just don't see him being one of those guys from day 1.

I think a stat line of 5pts and 2-3 assts for a freshman Morton is a pretty reasonable take, but at the end of the day, his defense will dictate his minutes. Morton won't come anywhere close to picking up the slack on the defensive end that Nojel leaves behind. Disagree with my take all you want, but that's a reasonable expectation for Morton.

-signed Coach

Nojel scored 5 points a game, 4 rebounds, and 2.7 assists. He also committed 1.5 turnovers per game. So his assist to turnover ratio is terrible.. Yes, he was an elite defender, but he was a complete liability on offense. His defense didn't outweigh his offensive ineffectiveness, especially considering he was supposed to be a point guard/facilitator. Whether Morton stacks up better stats is yet to be seen. But regardless, whomever is in the game in Eastern's place will bring more to the team, IMHO. That was pretty evident in NET differential stats posted in another thread. Will we miss him as a lock down defender? Sure. Will we be better off with Morton and others getting his playing time in the mid and long term? Absolutely.

And there was also the infamous job @ Pendant Publishing, which ended based on some "extra-curricular" activities with the cleaning lady - (and involved a white cashmere sweater with a red dot)

"Was that wrong Should I not have done that?"

tenor.gif

bd70a0f4-ad5f-4936-9a78-81ae95b785fa_screenshot.jpg
Is that sort of thing frowned upon here?

Nojel scored 5 points a game, 4 rebounds, and 2.7 assists. He also committed 1.5 turnovers per game. So his assist to turnover ratio is terrible.. Yes, he was an elite defender, but he was a complete liability on offense. His defense didn't outweigh his offensive ineffectiveness, especially considering he was supposed to be a point guard/facilitator. Whether Morton stacks up better stats is yet to be seen. But regardless, whomever is in the game in Eastern's place will bring more to the team, IMHO. That was pretty evident in NET differential stats posted in another thread. Will we miss him as a lock down defender? Sure. Will we be better off with Morton and others getting his playing time in the mid and long term? Absolutely.

There's still multiple things that don't show up in the box score that a freshman isn't going to surpass a senior that has multiple years of starting experience. I don't doubt for a single minute that Nojels's offensive production will be made up with relative ease. It happens every single year. But that's not what I'm talking about. Understanding rotations, assignments, getting used to the speed of the game, none of the stuff shows up in any post game box score. I hope Morton knocks it out of the park because he genuinely seems like a good kid, but I'm not going to call a Freshman Morton for a would-be Senior Nojel as an even trade, especially without someone like Haarms in their at the rim as well.

What exactly do you base this on? Nojel was an Elite defender. He was awful offensively. Morton is not nearly as good defensively. Like not even in the same universe.

As a freshman Morton will not be much better than Nojel offensively. Will he pass better? Probably. Will he shoot free throws better? Definitely. 3pt shooting? He will take more, but will probably shoot in the mid to low 20s. He won’t be as good driving to the rim, and yes I know Nojel was bad at that this year.

What exactly are your expectations for him? They must be pretty damn high for you to lose respect for someone’s opinion just because that person thinks Senior Nojel Eastern is better than Freshman Ethan Morton.

When looking back over the past few weeks, some of the statements that have been made about Morton are just clueless, and appear as nothing more than sour grapes. The kid will thrive.

When looking back over the past few weeks, some of the statements that have been made about Morton are just clueless, and appear as nothing more than sour grapes. The kid will thrive.

I've acknowledged several times that Morton will be a fantastic player for Purdue. We're talking about Morton next year specifically. I don't think he fills the void of Nojel. Agree to disagree and get over it. If missing out on Morton is what allowed IU to get Lander to reclassify, shake hands and call it a day.

Good riddance

What are your expectations for Morton next season?

IMO:

20 mpg
4 ppg
1.5 apg
2 rpg
1 tpg

40% fg
22% 3pt
75% FT

He will provide a high basketball IQ for a freshman, and will pick up the offense quickly. He will be one of the better players on the team in keeping the ball moving on offense which is key to the motion offense. Outside of that. He won’t do much as a freshman.

George did show up and "worked" on the Pensky file for a week even though hadn't been formally hired. This was in the episode "The Barber."

Some classic lines in that episode --

George: I enjoy understanding.

Jerry: I want you to have this job, of course sodomy is a prerequisite.

George: Mr. Pensky. I was just working on your file. I was transferring the contents of the file into this flexible accordion-style folder.

George: Well bear in mind I am in the smaller office.
ncaHgN.gif
Had to go look up this episode and guess George ran into a similar situation as Kramer..... we can agree to disagree that both episodes are similar to the current situation.....

Hey all you IU jackasses. Tell us what you foresee Lander doing at IU this year so we can debate your thinking.

The NCAA tabled the free waiver idea today. They will look at it again in January for potential usage in the 21-22 season. Seems to take away any chance for Nojel to play for Michigan (or wherever) in 20-21.

But I know...lies...

And you still haven’t won an NCAA title since well ever. Is that how this works? Is that some kind of insult? IU could miss the tournament for the rest of this decade and Purdue still wouldn’t have as many appearances as them.
How thick is the dust on those NCAA banners Mo? How long has it been now since the last one was hung? Let's see....Davis have any? Nope. How about Cheatin' Kelvin? Nope. How about Dakich? Nope. How about Crean? Nope. Little man? Nope. And you still think IU basketball is special? At 62, unless you have great genes in your family, you'll never live long enough to see another one put up. Just like your FB coach...whom no one in New Castle will say a good word about. IU....no longer feared.

How thick is the dust on those NCAA banners Mo? How long has it been now since the last one was hung? Let's see....Davis have any? Nope. How about Cheatin' Kelvin? Nope. How about Dakich? Nope. How about Crean? Nope. Little man? Nope. And you still think IU basketball is special? At 62, unless you have great genes in your family, you'll never live long enough to see another one put up. Just like your FB coach...whom no one in New Castle will say a good word about. IU....no longer feared.

For the life of me, not sure why he's spending so much time here, other than trying to validate what he believes his intelligence is, to himself...

Everyone in NC loves Tom Allen. JFC you say some dumb things.

IMO:

20 mpg
4 ppg
1.5 apg
2 rpg
1 tpg

40% fg
22% 3pt
75% FT
If he plays 20 minutes a game he will destroy those predictions, by a lot. Him struggling as a freshman wouldn't be surprising, but he isn't going to play 20 minutes if he does.
Although he has struggled a bit from 3 point range I think he will likely develop into a guy who can reliably hit them when he gets left open. There are never guarantees with player development and despite us having some recent disappointments in that area I think it is more likely for someone with Morton's profile to become a passable shooter. Certainly better than 22%, even in his freshman year.

If he plays 20 minutes a game he will destroy those predictions, by a lot. Him struggling as a freshman wouldn't be surprising, but he isn't going to play 20 minutes if he does.
Although he has struggled a bit from 3 point range I think he will likely develop into a guy who can reliably hit them when he gets left open. There are never guarantees with player development and despite us having some recent disappointments in that area I think it is more likely for someone with Morton's profile to become a passable shooter. Certainly better than 22%, even in his freshman year.
How can you say certainly better than 22% when that was his percentage over TWO AAU seasons. That was at the high school line against players his age. Now move the line back two feet and up the competition, and you think he shoots better???

Eric Hunter was a far superior shooter than Morton in high school, and shot 21%. Freshman overall don’t typically come in and shoot well right away. Freshman not known for shooting especially don’t come in and shoot well.

Morton could be a good a shooter down the line at Purdue. I think you are crazy if you are expecting him to be even a decent shooter next year.

What exactly do you base this on? Nojel was an Elite defender. He was awful offensively. Morton is not nearly as good defensively. Like not even in the same universe.

As a freshman Morton will not be much better than Nojel offensively. Will he pass better? Probably. Will he shoot free throws better? Definitely. 3pt shooting? He will take more, but will probably shoot in the mid to low 20s. He won’t be as good driving to the rim, and yes I know Nojel was bad at that this year.

What exactly are your expectations for him? They must be pretty damn high for you to lose respect for someone’s opinion just because that person thinks Senior Nojel Eastern is better than Freshman Ethan Morton.
I base this on the intangible affect of a truly hard-working, team-oriented, pass-first elite player who impacts every aspect of the team from the locker-room to the court to the weight-room to the study hall.

IMO:

20 mpg
4 ppg
1.5 apg
2 rpg
1 tpg

40% fg
22% 3pt
75% FT

He will provide a high basketball IQ for a freshman, and will pick up the offense quickly. He will be one of the better players on the team in keeping the ball moving on offense which is key to the motion offense. Outside of that. He won’t do much as a freshman.
I think the intangibles, the elephant in the lockerroom, the emotions and attitudes and work ethic .... no way to use stats on those things.

I think the intangibles, the elephant in the lockerroom, the emotions and attitudes and work ethic .... no way to use stats on those things.
So you think Morton is better than Eastern for the team, but don’t necessarily think he will put up better numbers, or have the on court impact that Eastern would have? More of a glue guy?

I could agree to that.

Reactions: mathboy
How?

-signed Coach
My son played D1 basketabll. His first call home was about how the slowest player on his team was quicker than anyone he had ever played against. His AAU team won the state championship one year. He was not "untested." And I stand by my comment that Morton will have more of an overall positive impact on the team than Nojel had ...

I base this on the intangible affect of a truly hard-working, team-oriented, pass-first elite player who impacts every aspect of the team from the locker-room to the court to the weight-room to the study hall.

Agree. Painter saying he’s one of the best passers he’s ever recruited. Also heard this guy is a leader on the court and makes those around him better. Can’t wait to watch him play.

So you think Morton is better than Eastern for the team, but don’t necessarily think he will put up better numbers, or have the on court impact that Eastern would have? More of a glue guy?

I could agree to that.
There was a distinct negative vibe to the team last year. It will not just be gone, but will be replaced with a very positive vibe. that will far outweigh any "good" that stats may show in a comparison between nojel and morton.

My son played D1 basketabll. His first call home was about how the slowest player on his team was quicker than anyone he had ever played against. His AAU team won the state championship one year. He was not "untested." And I stand by my comment that Morton will have more of an overall positive impact on the team than Nojel had ...

Not seeing to what you're replying, I have a strong suspicion you're wasting your time trying to rationalize with someone intent on tearing down Ethan Morton.

Morton is going to be a stud, much to the chagrin of the losers who are hellbent on ripping him apart.

ADVERTISEMENT