ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v. Purdue Game Thread

We need to pay for better talent. We got to stop being the Cradle of Walk Ons or Dens of Walk Ons.

I think we can all agree that English has to go. One of the worst BT offenses and they made our defense look like a high school team.
Totally agree! Walk ons are feel good stories and we got a few special ones lately (Mocks future looks bright!) but you can’t depend on them to be your best players on offense. Just comes down to recruiting needs to get better! Better play calling would help too lol

Reactions: Boiler8285
Need to move the season to June, July and August I guess.

When I went to school up there, this was a typical November day.

Yes - it's freakin November in North Central Indiana.....not Florida or Texas. However, I will agree that Brohm's teams have generally not fared well in inclement conditions - that's on Brohm for the most part to figure out.

WR Charlie Jones' old roommate at Iowa. It was nice to see Iowa win 24-3.

Tyrone Tracy needed a change of scenery after his struggles in Iowa City post pandemic.

Charlie Jones was targeted more than Spencer Petras targets Sam LaPorta. He certainly has caught more than any Iowa WR ever.

Good luck at Illinois 🖤💛

Totally agree! Walk ons are feel good stories and we got a few special ones lately (Mocks future looks bright!) but you can’t depend on them to be your best players on offense. Just comes down to recruiting needs to get better! Better play calling would help too lol
play calling, how bout it. It's 1st and goal at the 2 w/ a decent running attack this year and he calls 3 passes. I had flashbacks to the Super Bowl when Seattle had beastmode and got cute.

Glad I quit watching the game in the first half, and then I tried rewatching after the half just in time for the next touchdown! I just quit listening then. It's just too painful. Large plays against our defense and no offense to speak of. Just a repeat of the Wisconsin game. With all future defenses knowing how easy it is to score against us and how to do it, I think that we will be lucky to win another game. We scored as many points as South Dakota whatever against them, and allowed a whole lot more points. That doesn't say much.

Other teams improve throughout the season, we get worse. And we make poor opponent quarterbacks look good.

I can't wait for the Illinois debacle to begin nextweek.

Or on to basketball or indoor track!!!! It can't be any worse.

Glad I quit watching the game in the first half, and then I tried rewatching after the half just in time for the next touchdown! I just quit listening then. It's just too painful. Large plays against our defense and no offense to speak of. Just a repeat of the Wisconsin game. With all future defenses knowing how easy it is to score against us and how to do it, I think that we will be lucky to win another game. We scored as many points as South Dakota whatever against them, and allowed a whole lot more points. That doesn't say much.

Other teams improve throughout the season, we get worse. And we make poor opponent quarterbacks look good.

I can't wait for the Illinois debacle to begin nextweek.

Or on to basketball or indoor track!!!! It can't be any worse.
I think we will play with Illinois. I don’t think we are going to win, but we seem to play down to our competition, as we have shown in the last 2 games. We play better against better competition.

I think we will play with Illinois. I don’t think we are going to win, but we seem to play down to our competition, as we have shown in the last 2 games. We play better against better competition.

Before today, I would have tended to agree, and I've been bullish on Jeff Brohm when his team's been a decided underdog, but they didn't just play down to the competition level today. They were thoroughly beaten. I think it was also the first Brohm-coached team to go without a TD at home.

We shall see.....not confident right now in their chances.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Before today, I would have tended to agree, and I've been bullish on Jeff Brohm when his team's been a decided underdog, but they didn't just play down to the competition level today. They were thoroughly beaten. I think it was also the first Brohm-coached team to go without a TD at home.

Illini shut down Palmer in the Nebraska game. We’ll need to get more from the other WRs and Durham if Jones is locked up. I would say our D does better against running teams but we were just steamrolled by the Iowa RB. I would be shocked if we keep it close.

Illini shut down Palmer in the Nebraska game. We’ll need to get more from the other WRs and Durham if Jones is locked up. I would say our D does better against running teams but we were just steamrolled by the Iowa RB. I would be shocked if we keep it close.
This. I was very confused with our pass attack today. It was like Brohm and O'Connell made a prop bet on Jones getting 10+ catches.

Illini coming off a loss, they are more physical of a team. We are trending like the Cuse, losing to physical teams. Doesn't look good

This. I was very confused with our pass attack today. It was like Brohm and O'Connell made a prop bet on Jones getting 10+ catches.
I think that Brohm likes to promote players to have them mentioned in the news. It must help recruiting, especially in receivers and quarterbacks. Spreading the ball to different receivers doesn't help with this goal, at least for getting a recognized top receiver. On the other hand, running backs success dosesn't help with getting recruits into the future passing game, so less runs equals more pass plays.

I've always thought that Brohm was astute in what he did at Purdue, getting some players highly hyped to draw recognition to the program, get fans in the seats, and aid in recruiting. He certainly wants things done his way with a passing game, no matter what success a runner may have. Running multiple pass plays from the few yard line lets the passing stats get inflated as to TD numbers, what he wants to hype. Unfortunately it can be at the expensive of an almost certain running TD.

Our ability to stop the run is a myth. Teams just don't run often against Purdue because it is so easy to throw over your heads. Opposing coaches aren't stupid. They take what you give them and we give up big pass plays. They don't bother running until they are up two touchdowns.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Hey @BCfanatic2020 , how's O'Connell doing on those fast reads and progressions here lately? Maybe you could tell him to lay off Charlie a bit and actually look at other receivers?

He showed what he could do with real receivers. This year he has one… you can’t be serious

Sheffield and Burks were wide open on numerous occasions in this game. Even the TV guys talked about it. O'Connell isn't even looking their way because he's so honed in on Jones, trying to throw him open rather than throwing to the open man. You can't tell me Sheffield hasn't been overlooked. And I guess, all of a sudden Payne Durham isn't getting open either...

He has 5 interceptions in the last two games. There's a reason for that...

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

I think you misjudged the level of comp. Despite the offensive ‘flaws’, Iowa is perennially one of the conf top echelon teams. They played like the more ‘mature’ program. It wasn’t really close in any facet

Sheffield and Burks were wide open on numerous occasions in this game. Even the TV guys talked about it. O'Connell isn't even looking their way because he's so honed in on Jones, trying to throw him open rather than throwing to the open man. You can't tell me Sheffield hasn't been overlooked. And I guess, all of a sudden Payne Durham isn't getting open either...

He has 5 interceptions in the last two games. There's a reason for that...
You know what read they were?

I think you misjudged the level of comp. Despite the offensive ‘flaws’, Iowa is perennially one of the conf top echelon teams. They played like the more ‘mature’ program. It wasn’t really close in any facet
LMAO...Iowa's been one of the better teams in the West. But to call them "perennially one of the conf top echelon teams" is laughable. The top echelon teams have been OSU, Mich, Penn St, and Wisconsin. Iowa's a little further down the list...

LMAO...Iowa's been one of the better teams in the West. But to call them "perennially one of the conf top echelon teams" is laughable. The top echelon teams have been OSU, Mich, Penn St, and Wisconsin. Iowa's a little further down the list...
I always see Iowa as Wisc. Lite

Don't care. There were several instances of them being wide open AOC forcing it to Charlie. Doesn't take knowledge of what read each one was to know it was a problem...
Rice has to targeted more too. He's a taller target on those fades and has proven to make some nice catches this year

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT