ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa at Purdue: any given Saturday?

Nov 8, 2001
Iowa Kirk Ferentz is going for his 12th win as head coach in this series in 22 years, as the oldest college football coach at one stop.

The Dean of the Big Ten is only 1-2 against Purdue though the past 3 seasons, coming off a 26-20 win in 2019.

Purdue is seeking to start 1-0 for the first time in the Brohm era. 0-3 under Jeff Brohm in season and B1G openers.

Both teams are not at 100%, due to the off season. Iowa is without sophomore LB Jack Campbell. This is the fourth straight season for DC Phil Parker to start a new MLB. It will be likely senior, veteran LB Nick Niemann, who returned the final interception of the season for 6 in the 49-24 win over USC in Holiday Bowl last year.

Plenty of unknowns. Personally, I think Iowa has the edge at QB, RB, TE and OL. Purdue and Iowa both have good WRs. But, the Boilermakers have the back to back best freshman WRs from 2018 and 2019 in the Big Ten.

We will have to wait for pregame to access how this game is really going to play out from a football personnel standpoint, with covid-19.

How many players are hurt?

Purdue sophomore WR Rondale Moore wasn't 100% two years ago for the Iowa game. Purdue won 38-36.

Iowa returns plenty of players from the 2018 game. Two of three starting RBs, though the 2020 starter Tyler Goodson is a true sophomore. He is the best freshman RB in the Ferentz era.

Purdue beat Iowa 20 straight game from 1961 to 1980. In 1981, Kirk Ferentz was a first year OL coach at Iowa under Hayden Fry.

Iowa won 33-7 to break streak. Hawkeyes went on to Big Ten title and Rose Bowl, for first time, since 1958 season.

Kirk Ferentz was OL coach in 1985, when Iowa, who were #1 for five straight weeks, pulled out a near miss, 27-24 in West Lafayette.

Brian Ferentz is Iowa's OC, in his fourth season, as coordinator. He would be the first OC under Kirk Ferentz to fall short, if Iowa doesn't finish 8-0 in the Big Ten.

Iowa in 2002 and 2015 beat Purdue, with fourth year OCs and finished 8-0 in Big Ten. Kirk Ferentz likes his 2020 team.

Iowa 31
Purdue 27

We shall see. Purdue has the series lead, including the longest win streak, but Fry and Ferentz both have had success in West Lafayette, and much of that was either together or the 22 years KF replaced Fry.

Last edited:
Must be confused with the Stoops.

I haven't heard anything saying that we're not pretty healthy. I suppose a football team can never really be 100%, but all reports indicate Moore and Neal are good to go.

Reactions: cidsports
Iowa Kirk Ferentz is going for his 12th win as head coach in this series in 22 years, as the oldest college football coach at one stop.

The Dean of the Big Ten is only 1-2 against Purdue though the past 3 seasons, coming off a 26-20 win in 2019.

Purdue is seeking to start 1-0 for the first time in the Brohm era. 0-3 under Mike Brohm in season and B1G openers.

Both teams are not at 100%, due to the off season. Iowa is without sophomore LB Jack Campbell. This is the fourth straight season for DC Phil Parker to start a new MLB. It will be likely senior, veteran LB Nick Niemann, who returned the final interception of the season for 6 in the 49-24 win over USC in Holiday Bowl last year.

Plenty of unknowns. Personally, I think Iowa has the edge at QB, RB, TE and OL. Purdue and Iowa both have good WRs. But, the Boilermakers have the back to back best freshman WRs from 2018 and 2019 in the Big Ten.

We will have to wait for pregame to access how this game is really going to play out from a football personnel standpoint, with covid-19.

Purdue sophomore WR Rondale Moore wasn't 100% two years ago for the Iowa game. Purdue won 38-36.

Iowa returns plenty of players from the 2018 game. Two of three starting RBs, though the 2020 starter Tyler Goodson is a true sophomore. He is the best freshman RB in the Ferentz era.

Purdue beat Iowa 20 straight game from 1961 to 1980. In 1981, Kirk Ferentz was a first year OL coach at Iowa under Hayden Fry.

Iowa won 33-7 to break streak. Hawkeyes went on to Big Ten title and Rose Bowl, for first time, since 1958 season.

Kirk Ferentz was OL coach in 1985, when Iowa, who were #1 for five straight weeks, pulled out a near miss, 27-24 in West Lafayette.

Brian Ferentz is Iowa's OC, in his fourth season, as coordinator. He would be the first OC under Kirk Ferentz to fall short, if Iowa doesn't finish 8-0 in the Big Ten.

Iowa in 2002 and 2015 beat Purdue, with fourth year OCs and finished 8-0 in Big Ten. Kirk Ferentz likes his 2020 team.

Iowa 31
Purdue 27

We shall see. Purdue has the series lead, including the longest win streak, but Fry and Ferentz both have had success in West Lafayette, and much of that was either together or the 22 years KF replaced Fry.

Obviously you're an Iowa homer but saying you have the edge in QB as well? Has your guy ever even started a game in the B1G?

agree with the QB advantage is to Purdue .. no way can it be to iowa with a guy that has not played

Purdue has an underrated defense IMO. They've played a lot of underclassmen, and I see talent on that side of the ball and of course WR. Only issue with the defense could be the switch to 3-4 and Mr. Bob Diaco who likes to sit back instead of being aggressive.

Any list that doesn’t include GK as top 5 in his position is complete garbage. Dude was picked as the 2nd best NFL prospect behind fields at Ohio State.
My guess is that the 2 top 5s are Rondale and GK. Bell can't be far behind but there are some good WRs in this league.

Obviously you're an Iowa homer but saying you have the edge in QB as well? Has your guy ever even started a game in the B1G?
Iowa had QB Nate Stanley starting for 3 straight years. Over the last decade, only one QB played ahead of the season starter. That was 2014, Big Ten opener at Purdue, when C.J. Beathard made his first and only start in 2014.

Entering his third season, QB Spencer Petras knows the Iowa offense, as Stanley's understudy.

He has two formal spring drills under his belt.

Who is Purdue’s QB?

Iowa had QB Nate Stanley starting for 3 straight years. Over the last decade, only one QB played ahead of the season starter. That was 2014, Big Ten opener at Purdue, when C.J. Beathard made his first and only start in 2014.

Entering his third season, QB Spencer Petras knows the Iowa offense, as Stanley's understudy.

Who is Purdue’s QB?
Well Crap “spring drills”. LOL. Yep. Go ahead and give him All Big Ten right now.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Well Crap “spring drills”. LOL. Yep. Go ahead and give him All Big Ten right now.
Iowa isn't Ohio State. Justin Fields B1G honors are safe. What Iowa needs is better production, then QB Nate Stanley.

With players back on offense, and newcomers from IU and Buffalo, the Iowa offense should be better in 2020 than 2019.

Reason for optimism. Further, over 22 years, Iowa has done well with first-year QBs.

Must be confused with the Stoops.

I haven't heard anything saying that we're not pretty healthy. I suppose a football team can never really be 100%, but all reports indicate Moore and Neal are good to go.

Jeff Brohm has mentioned 5-6 players. Both teams are likely dealing with injuries.

Yes, I am picking Iowa, based on KF's past teams in season openers. But, in this rivalry series, anything can go.

It should be an interesting game.

Reactions: BoilerinLouisville

Purdue is seeking to start 1-0 for the first time in the Brohm era. 0-3 under Jeff Brohm in season and B1G openers.

Iowa 31
Purdue 27

+1

Who is Purdue’s QB?

Purdue has 2 quarterbacks in Plummer and O'Connell who both threw for over 1,000 yards last season and both had 400+ yard games in conference. Both threw more TD's than interceptions as well. Plummer threw for over 300 yards at Iowa last season, or maybe you've forgotten. Given the return of 2 QB'S with in game(in conference) experience Purdue would seem to have a more proven QB room and thus the advantage. At least based on documented results instead of speculation.

Purdue 28 - 20

Reactions: BoilerinLouisville
Purdue has 2 quarterbacks in Plummer and O'Connell who both threw for over 1,000 yards last season and both had 400+ yard games in conference. Both threw more TD's than interceptions as well. Plummer threw for over 300 yards at Iowa last season, or maybe you've forgotten. Given the return of 2 QB'S with in game(in conference) experience Purdue would seem to have a more proven QB room and thus the advantage. At least based on documented results instead of speculation.

Purdue 28 - 20
All the reasons you stated and add in more OL experience and Moore & Bell.
Purdue 31 Iowa 21

Two returning QBs from the B1G's #1 passing offense in 2019.

Yet, we should favor some unknown 3-star QB who couldn't beat out Nate Stanley.

:oops:

Yes, he was a 4 star per Rivals.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospect_cards/182773
I guess you didn't watch Nate Stanley for 4 seasons at Iowa.
In 2018

In January 2020: Ferentz named him starter before covid-19 and the disruption. Ferentz over last 22 years. How often did that happen?

High school: from Dan Fouts to Jared Goff to Spencer Petras

Iowa 31
Purdue 27

I hope Iowa loses and loses terribly at Purdue. Nothing personal, but this program is ready to turn the corner. Will this be the year; should be. Will this be the game; could very well be.
Again, nothing personal. Hope it is a drubbing in Purdue's favor.

Well with this clip and Moore as unknown status...the final score has tightened to nearly a toss up.
Moore is a 10 pt difference maker. He plays we win, if not, tight game. S.O.B.! The males version of soap opera.
I'm not sure where this thing about Moore being hurt is coming from? I'm seeing nothing anywhere on him being injured.

I'm not sure where this thing about Moore being hurt is coming from? I'm seeing nothing anywhere on him being injured.
Rumor thread on Hawk site. As a Hawkeye fan who loves watching amazing players, I hope he is full speed! Also, agreed that Petras can't logically be pegged as the better QB. Granted, his predecessor is now in the NFL. Also, Petras broke all of Jarrod Goff's high school numbers. There's reason for Hawk fans to be optimistic, but it needs to be proven.

Reactions: Purdue85
Looking forward to this game Boilers. 'Bout time we had some B1G football! Good luck, hope we can keep Rondale under control. (you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him).

LOL. Iowa fan here. No one can really know what to expect from Iowa's QB. He was good in HS, but what college QB wasn't. He has all the talent, and is said to have a stronger arm then Nate Stanley. Stanley lacked accuracy on his deep passes, and Petras is said to have a better deep ball touch. That being said, like I said before, no one will know until after Saturday. I can honestly say I don't know the Purdue QB's, so wouldn't care to speculate on who has the advantage at the QB spot. I also don't know what Purdue has on offense, other then the two great WR's. Petras will have a very good OL, the best WR's Ferentz has had since he was coach and a very good young RB in Tyler Goodson. That being said, Iowa has had trouble covering the Purdue WR's since Brohm has been the coach. I am looking for a good competitive game. I have no dislike for Purdue, so after Saturday, I wish your team well.......Just not on Saturday. LOL

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
LOL. Iowa fan here. No one can really know what to expect from Iowa's QB. He was good in HS, but what college QB wasn't. He has all the talent, and is said to have a stronger arm then Nate Stanley. Stanley lacked accuracy on his deep passes, and Petras is said to have a better deep ball touch. That being said, like I said before, no one will know until after Saturday. I can honestly say I don't know the Purdue QB's, so wouldn't care to speculate on who has the advantage at the QB spot. I also don't know what Purdue has on offense, other then the two great WR's. Petras will have a very good OL, the best WR's Ferentz has had since he was coach and a very good young RB in Tyler Goodson. That being said, Iowa has had trouble covering the Purdue WR's since Brohm has been the coach. I am looking for a good competitive game. I have no dislike for Purdue, so after Saturday, I wish your team well.......Just not on Saturday. LOL
As a representative of OMHR, we expect a little more vitriol than that!

(sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell)

• Haha
Reactions: scotthawk1964

Boilers looking to vanquish The Most Hated Rival! Buckle up, and Boiler Up, my friends.

omhr1984.0.jpg

I see the sarcasm there. LOL I am not here to talk crap, I just like talking football. Now, when it gets to Iowa and Nebraska's bantering on the forum, it is much, much less cordial. Good luck.....after Saturday that is. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I see the sarcasm there. LOL I am not here to talk crap, I just like talking football. Now, when it gets to Iowa and Nebraska's banteingr on the forum, it is much, much less cordial. Good luck.....after Saturday that is. ;)
I'll be disappointed if Purdue doesn't win or make a good showing today. But I have to say, Iowa fans on here have been very respectful and friendly. Great fans!

I'll be disappointed if Purdue doesn't win or make a good showing today. But I have to say, Iowa fans on here have been very respectful and friendly. Great fans!
I obviously enjoyed the victory over the Hawkeyes, though my Iowa alum neighbor is probably not feeling so thrilled. But in general, Iowa has always had the best visiting fans of any conference school. The worst? Wisconsin and Ohio State are very, very close.

I obviously enjoyed the victory over the Hawkeyes, though my Iowa alum neighbor is probably not feeling so thrilled. But in general, Iowa has always had the best visiting fans of any conference school. The worst? Wisconsin and Ohio State are very, very close.
The nebraska fans are up(or shouldnI say down) there too. A few okay ones but way too many are just complete, whiny a-holes.

Nebraska football fans are the equivalent to IU football fans. They were good 20+ years ago and think that should guarantee their success and status now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT