ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Year to Evaluate Painter

hamcoboiler

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 29, 2013
Going back to 2012-2013 season Purdue has ran their offense through the block. Big men didn't always lead them in scoring in that stretch, but Purdue's offense was run with a back to basket big man and for a two year stretch another big in the high post.

Next year, Painter has the most dynamic scoring guard he has ever had. Often times the best offense won't involve anyone on the block. I think the signing of Boudreaux allows CP to play four 3 point threats alongside Carsen.

I think Haarms will get some opportunities on the block, but with his quickness I think you will see a heavy dose of him in the pick and roll.

Lot of things to sort out for the staff, but will be a good test for them. I for one think this guard focused offense has a chance to really get rolling down the stretch. Anxious to Carsen playing down hill in ways he hasn't the last two years.

Going back to 2012-2013 season Purdue has ran their offense through the block. Big men didn't always lead them in scoring in that stretch, but Purdue's offense was run with a back to basket big man and for a two year stretch another big in the high post.

Next year, Painter has the most dynamic scoring guard he has ever had. Often times the best offense won't involve anyone on the block. I think the signing of Boudreaux allows CP to play four 3 point threats alongside Carsen.

I think Haarms will get some opportunities on the block, but with his quickness I think you will see a heavy dose of him in the pick and roll.

Lot of things to sort out for the staff, but will be a good test for them. I for one think this guard focused offense has a chance to really get rolling down the stretch. Anxious to Carsen playing down hill in ways he hasn't the last two years.

It should be noted that Evan has said CMP has talked to him about being a small ball 5. If that’s the case at times, I would like to see:

Boogie
Cline
Sasha
Wheeler
Evan B.

That would, conceivably be, a legit lineup you could see that would really stretch the floor and cause massive problems for opposing teams. Literally everyone of those players should be north of 35% from three this season and likely expect three of them to be north of 42% (Boogie, Cline, Sasha).

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
It should be noted that Evan has said CMP has talked to him about being a small ball 5. If that’s the case at times, I would like to see:

Boogie
Cline
Sasha
Wheeler
Evan B.

That would, conceivably be, a legit lineup you could see that would really stretch the floor and cause massive problems for opposing teams. Literally everyone of those players should be north of 35% from three this season and likely expect three of them to be north of 42% (Boogie, Cline, Sasha).
I think that lineup would really struggle defensively though. Substitute Eastern for Sasha (or Cline) and I’m with you.

Don't forget about Trevion Williams. He'll get some PT.

I hope you’re right, I suspect that his mpg will directly correlate to his level of conditioning and that the majority of his minutes will come at the 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I hope you’re right, I suspect that his mpg will directly correlate to his level of conditioning and that the majority of his minutes will come at the 4.

I think being 4 months out, he looks pretty good. He’ll only get better from here. The issue may be once the season starts and he isn’t working out as much...but then again Biggie proved it can be done with hard work.

CMP is only one National Championship away from being a National Championship coach.

It’s gonna happen any year now.

Wait for it. Wait. Wait

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

I'm looking forward to the length and athleticism potential some of the lineups might have.

Purdue has struggled with long athletic teams in the past. Will this be the year Painter flips the switch and 6'6 Eastern at PG, 6'8 Wheeler at SF, and a 7'3 mobile center in Haarms give other teams problems?

Yea, been saying that next year will be a test for the staff.....to deal with a team who outside of 1 remaining starter most haven't been measured yet on what they can do as starters in the wars of the B1G. And with an inexperienced bench & a new transfer.....so beyond 4 guys who at least have logged some time in those B1G wars....not to many of them have been measured by the grind of the B1G.

But a team of so much potential......just how quickly can the staff get them up to that potential?

Is it by Dec. because of the extra practice, or is it by March? The only harm with the latter is.....will the young team lose too many games to get into the NCAAT? That would be a shame for the staff & the players, because they certainly will be a NCAAT quality type team @ some point next year, one would think....just hope the staff makes sure it is earlier than too late for the NCAAT.

Yea, been saying that next year will be a test for the staff.....to deal with a team who outside of 1 remaining starter most haven't been measured yet on what they can do as starters in the wars of the B1G. And with an inexperienced bench & a new transfer.....so beyond 4 guys who at least have logged some time in those B1G wars....not to many of them have been measured by the grind of the B1G.

But a team of so much potential......just how quickly can the staff get them up to that potential?

Is it by Dec. because of the extra practice, or is it by March? The only harm with the latter is.....will the young team lose too many games to get into the NCAAT? That would be a shame for the staff & the players, because they certainly will be a NCAAT quality type team @ some point next year, one would think....just hope the staff makes sure it is earlier than too late for the NCAAT.
A lot of teams lost a lot in every conference all of them coaches gonna have to make adjustments on their roster but Purdue still have 4 guys no didn’t play starters min but got plenty plenty of experience coming into this season under their belt. Lots of unknowns sure but if you look at most conferences they all lost key pieces off their roster and now they all gotta work with what they got. These guys knows what they facing and all of them ready for the challenge no matter how hard it could be and that is a maybe. I for one not worried about this team it has plenty of pieces with size athleticism speed skilled players that will grow as a team play as a team and win and loose as a team like the seniors before them. What I like is this they no they are being counted out and that just fuel their fire to prove doubters wrong. 4 months will no exactly what this team can do and I believe gonna shock many this season how good they gonna be.

A lot of teams lost a lot in every conference all of them coaches gonna have to make adjustments on their roster but Purdue still have 4 guys no didn’t play starters min but got plenty plenty of experience coming into this season under their belt. Lots of unknowns sure but if you look at most conferences they all lost key pieces off their roster and now they all gotta work with what they got. These guys knows what they facing and all of them ready for the challenge no matter how hard it could be and that is a maybe. I for one not worried about this team it has plenty of pieces with size athleticism speed skilled players that will grow as a team play as a team and win and loose as a team like the seniors before them. What I like is this they no they are being counted out and that just fuel their fire to prove doubters wrong. 4 months will no exactly what this team can do and I believe gonna shock many this season how good they gonna be.

Yea, sure we agree on what you wrote......
Players have worlds of potential and team has great pieces. Very excited about seeing exactly what you wrote about on the court.

However, this thread & my post are both about what Purdue coaching staff has to do with those pieces & how this will be a good year to eval staff on how quickly they have this team in top gear. So this thread is about OUR coaching staff......

Treed, the single most exciting post on here since the seadon ended, imo, was the one where you commented on all the returning players progress/abilities and also the newcomers potential. I cant find it now. Care to update us or refresh our memories? Or just repost it?

Yea, sure we agree on what you wrote......
Players have worlds of potential and team has great pieces. Very excited about seeing exactly what you wrote about on the court.

However, this thread & my post are both about what Purdue coaching staff has to do with those pieces & how this will be a good year to eval staff on how quickly they have this team in top gear. So this thread is about OUR coaching staff......
Fair point and I’m sure they all no what they have in this roster to adjust to the personnel they have. But many coaches have same issues that Purdue staff has to try to figure out this season giving the team lack of starters or scoring options my beliefs they will adjust their coaching to the players they have.

Treed, the single most exciting post on here since the seadon ended, imo, was the one where you commented on all the returning players progress/abilities and also the newcomers potential. I cant find it now. Care to update us or refresh our memories? Or just repost it?
I no they are working hard learning each other building team chemistry that to me is the most important ingredient this season considering roles on the team will expand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT