ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting stat

rgarlitz

All-American
Jun 16, 2012
I read today that Purdue is averaging 79.3 ppg. That is apparently the highest scoring average through 11 games since 1995/6.

Couple thoughts: 1) I get that the hard grind of the conference season is still on the horizon. 2) It's nice to see scoring again after Sharon Versyp's last few teams seemed to labor to get into the mid-60s so much of the time.

2018-2019 season, before conference play we were averaging about 70 ppg, dropped to 60 in conference play.
The offense under KG moves better and seems to be more efficient scoring except that the turnovers continue at a very high rate against P5 teams. But it seems we are not as good on defense as we were under Versyp either. I think they go hand in hand as we push the tempo more under KG which gives the other team more shots per game as well.

Reactions: rgarlitz and DocRon
2018-2019 season, before conference play we were averaging about 70 ppg, dropped to 60 in conference play.
The offense under KG moves better and seems to be more efficient scoring except that the turnovers continue at a very high rate against P5 teams. But it seems we are not as good on defense as we were under Versyp either. I think they go hand in hand as we push the tempo more under KG which gives the other team more shots per game as well.
That seems to happen a lot in the B1G, men and women. It's a physical conference, and every team knows every other team's weaknesses---especially by February. Versyp's teams played great defense, I'll readily admit that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT