ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Stat

Roeder

Junior
Jun 21, 2007
Nojel Eastern was a plus 7. Haarms was even at 0. Everyone else was in the red.

Eastern's foul trouble in 2nd half and the run VT went on while he was on the bench was not a coincidence, as it threw off the rotations and left Cline/Hunter/Sasha matched up with 2 of their 3 stud guards which isn't ideal this early in season.

Agree ....our team D was terrible when NE was not in there.....got to have him in there.

Last edited:
Nojel Eastern was a plus 7. Haarms was even at 0. Everyone else was in the red.

Eastern's foul trouble in 2nd half and the run VT went on while he was on the bench was not a coincidence, as it threw off the rotations and left Cline/Hunter/Sasha matched up with 2 of their 3 stud guards which isn't ideal this early in season.
I told my son that he had to be careful bcuz they were gonna try to get him in foul trouble even tho 2 of those fouls were not fouls I saw and I’m an official. The charge call he sold that call but nojel lowered that shoulder and that dude sold it more than the foul looked. That guy was smart he new how to get into ur body to make it look like he was being fouled and the refs didn’t pick that up. Nojel now knows he was play smarter on defense bcuz teams gonna go at him to get him in foul trouble. He was doing a good job on that guy up until he picked up that 3rd foul than he was leery to touch him and the 4th foul was unfortunate. He will learn to from this as well.

I told my son that he had to be careful bcuz they were gonna try to get him in foul trouble even tho 2 of those fouls were not fouls I saw and I’m an official. The charge call he sold that call but nojel lowered that shoulder and that dude sold it more than the foul looked. That guy was smart he new how to get into ur body to make it look like he was being fouled and the refs didn’t pick that up. Nojel now knows he was play smarter on defense bcuz teams gonna go at him to get him in foul trouble. He was doing a good job on that guy up until he picked up that 3rd foul than he was leery to touch him and the 4th foul was unfortunate. He will learn to from this as well.
There was a massive amount of those types of fouls all game long and as I said in my recent thread, that will change how you play defense because you simply can't or you foul out.

They have a more mature team don’t they? A bit older than us? So if that’s the case we certainly have a pretty good team and I would expect as the season goes on in our team matures we will be more prepared for a game like this. More often than not in basketball and mature team looks very good in the first two months of the year and the younger more hungry teams that mature as the season goes on have a very good finishes

Officiating aside, we needed to feed the post more when Haarms was in. Take a few of the missed 3’s for Carsen and give Haarms some looks down low and we see a different game. When Haarms only shoots once and it is a three pointer, especially against a team lacking front court depth, then we have an issue.

I see some folks talking about our help D, bit that’s how we play and it usually works. VT did a good job of hitting their open shots in the second half. Should have been a good learning experience. Our offense looks pretty good and we got help from everyone outside of Haarms. Playing smarter will fix many of the issue we saw last night. It’s not unheard of to see a young team lose its composure against a good team like the Hokies.

Nojel needs to find a way to stay on the court this year. Purdue is not the same team when he is on the bench.

Reactions: rgarlitz
+/- is a worthless stat. Trying to make something black and white that isn't since everything would have to be the same(lineups) to make it a real stat.

+/- is a worthless stat. Trying to make something black and white that isn't since everything would have to be the same(lineups) to make it a real stat.
Yeah any stat that says Haarms was better than EBo last night is questionable, at best.

if only Painter would have gotten Nojel back in the game sooner!

if only Painter would have gotten Nojel back in the game sooner!
It may have helped may not just hard to tell. But real talk they had 4 explosive guards that is gonna give many teams fits with other explosive guards so we not the only team that cud struggle defensively to this team. They made shots in crunch time we didn’t and Purdue was still in the game despite all that. The good they get to watch film see what they need to work on and get better prepared if they should see another team like that as season goes on. No team in the big ten have 4 guards like that all on 1 team so ppl relax they did play well for most of the game and had VT on there heals and the team held there own defensively for most of the game. Good game to measure yourself individually and as a team and to me they will be better from this test. This team has what it takes despite the youth movement and other guys playing bigger roles it all fits well together it’s just 5 games into the season they got this.

It may have helped may not just hard to tell. But real talk they had 4 explosive guards that is gonna give many teams fits with other explosive guards so we not the only team that cud struggle defensively to this team. They made shots in crunch time we didn’t and Purdue was still in the game despite all that. The good they get to watch film see what they need to work on and get better prepared if they should see another team like that as season goes on. No team in the big ten have 4 guards like that all on 1 team so ppl relax they did play well for most of the game and had VT on there heals and the team held there own defensively for most of the game. Good game to measure yourself individually and as a team and to me they will be better from this test. This team has what it takes despite the youth movement and other guys playing bigger roles it all fits well together it’s just 5 games into the season they got this.

Very good points. This is the type of team that has given us problems historically with their explosive guards. They are a Sweet 16 quality team and the fact we had a chance to win that game shows how far our team already is despite the fouls. I am not even sure we would have played that well last year (we did poorly in the early season tournament). Hopefully this results in a long winning streak like last year!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT