ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting read on unexpected championship contenders

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...hich-early-season-surprises-really-contenders

The article focuses on Purdue, Virginia, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Wichita State. The author asked opposing coaches what makes these teams national title contenders and also what weaknesses could prevent them from winning it all.
And this is where my feeling about the week between the BTT and the NCAA's helps Purdue. Veteran team with a likely 15 or 16 seeded team (probably similar to that of Minnesota or Wisconsin) will be fine enough for Purdue to sharpen its' steel prior to the second game of the weekend. Plus the extra time off gives the starters and bench of 3 ample time to rest...plus we all know JT is good enough to provide spot minutes and not give up a lot when he is called upon.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...hich-early-season-surprises-really-contenders

The article focuses on Purdue, Virginia, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Wichita State. The author asked opposing coaches what makes these teams national title contenders and also what weaknesses could prevent them from winning it all.

Only knocks on Purdue from other coaches were basically:

1.If they lose a guy to injury it will throw off their rotation, depth, increase fatigue, etc.

Very true, but the same goes for any contender in the nation if they lose a key guy. Purdue does drop off after 8 guys, so I see why they pick at that.

2. Teams with multiple NBA guys will have a gear in Tourney Purdue can't compete with.

Kansas was a perfect storm of multiple things last year, but their elite guys did flex their muscles in that game. This Purdue team is much better at defense and the 3 ball can be the great equalizer if Purdue is hitting from deep. We will see.

Pretty sure Purdue and Virginia at least right now have separated themselves

Only knocks on Purdue from other coaches were basically:

1.If they lose a guy to injury it will throw off their rotation, depth, increase fatigue, etc.

Very true, but the same goes for any contender in the nation if they lose a key guy. Purdue does drop off after 8 guys, so I see why they pick at that.

2. Teams with multiple NBA guys will have a gear in Tourney Purdue can't compete with.

Kansas was a perfect storm of multiple things last year, but their elite guys did flex their muscles in that game. This Purdue team is much better at defense and the 3 ball can be the great equalizer if Purdue is hitting from deep. We will see.

Good points.

To the depth issue: Haarms, Eastern, Cline, and Eifert have all gotten quality minutes lately. The scoring production definitely drops once you go beyond the five starters, but the bench guys are making real contributions: Eastern and Eifert on the boards; Cline's shooting has improved lately; Haarms around the basket.

The NBA talent thing concerns me as well. Like most Purdue teams of the past 40 years, I don't know if this bunch has the high-end athleticism to beat the most talented teams (those who are most likely to make it deep into the NCAA tournament). That said, I actually think this year's team is more athletic than last year's, mostly because of the emergence of Matt Haarms and because of how Carsen Edwards has exploded. Purdue probably doesn't have any future NBA all-stars, but Vince Edwards and Isaac Haas seem to be legitimate prospects. Plus, Purdue has very balanced scoring. It's not like opponents can just try to contain one or two NBA guys.

We'll see. Purdue will be an interesting team to watch this March.

If there are posts on 24 other boards that ask who they most don't want to play in the tourney - I suspect we are on darn near every list. That's right where I want to be right now. No team is perfect - especially this year.

Good points.

To the depth issue: Haarms, Eastern, Cline, and Eifert have all gotten quality minutes lately. The scoring production definitely drops once you go beyond the five starters, but the bench guys are making real contributions: Eastern and Eifert on the boards; Cline's shooting has improved lately; Haarms around the basket.

The NBA talent thing concerns me as well. Like most Purdue teams of the past 40 years, I don't know if this bunch has the high-end athleticism to beat the most talented teams (those who are most likely to make it deep into the NCAA tournament). That said, I actually think this year's team is more athletic than last year's, mostly because of the emergence of Matt Haarms and because of how Carsen Edwards has exploded. Purdue probably doesn't have any future NBA all-stars, but Vince Edwards and Isaac Haas seem to be legitimate prospects. Plus, Purdue has very balanced scoring. It's not like opponents can just try to contain one or two NBA guys.

We'll see. Purdue will be an interesting team to watch this March.

I would argue that CE has a better shot at an NBA future than Vince or Haas.
He reminds me of Westbrook with slightly less lift off the floor.
Vince is a great college player but I'm still not sure he has the athleticism for the NBA. Haas will probably always be on a roster because he's 7'2 and not a complete stiff (although he missed about 3 bunnies against UW that were stiff-like misses).

Reactions: Pistolman
This Purdue team has way more balance that other teams I can think of in the past. There are no weak spots in the starting five. Most teams cannot say that. They may be lacking an explosive athlete or two but as a team they are hard to guard for anyone. It all starts with Haas. Not many teams can contain him one-on-one and if you are going to help on him, Purdue will find the open man.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I would argue that CE has a better shot at an NBA future than Vince or Haas.
He reminds me of Westbrook with slightly less lift off the floor.
Vince is a great college player but I'm still not sure he has the athleticism for the NBA. Haas will probably always be on a roster because he's 7'2 and not a complete stiff (although he missed about 3 bunnies against UW that were stiff-like misses).
Westbrook is a once in a lifetime type of athlete and talent in basketball. Carsen, no matter how good he is or can be, isn't even close. Westbrook will end up being one of the 100 greatest players of all time. You don't average a triple double in an entire season (and will probably do it for a second season this year as he is just a slight clip under 10 for rebounds and assists). As good as Carsen is, he isn't the rebounder that Russell is.

Personally, a better comparison might be Eric Bledsoe or Shabazz Napier. Awesome players in their own right but just a better comparison for Carsen.

My only concern is the lack of athletic teams in the B1G. Hopefully we will get a dose of that from OSU, MSU and Michigan, but the rest of the Big Ten lacks players and even more, lacks athletes. (Minnesota would have been a nice test until there talent disappeared).

This is the one season where playing Louisville or WV or an ACC contender would have been nice to have on the schedule in mid-Feb.

We have admittedly handled the "athletic" teams to date (less the loss to Tenn).

Should be an interesting March. I am hoping we get 2 of Michigan/OSU/MSU in the BTT.

This team isn't going to wow you with our athleticism, but we have enough of it not to be our liability. Whereas last year, it was a real problem. The key additions Haarms and Eastern are two steps quicker than the key losses Swanigan and Spike

This rotation probably has the most NBA talent out of any of the Painter teams. The Baby Boilers had 3 draft picks

I see Carsen, Haarms, Eastern, getting drafted. Vince and Haas are fringe 2nd rounders / undrafted but should make a roster. Mathias, I would have said no up till very recently, but he will get at least an audition

Reactions: Inspector100
This team isn't going to wow you with our athleticism, but we have enough of it not to be our liability. Whereas last year, it was a real problem. The key additions Haarms and Eastern are two steps quicker than the key losses Swanigan and Spike

This rotation probably has the most NBA talent out of any of the Painter teams. The Baby Boilers had 3 draft picks

I see Carsen, Haarms, Eastern, getting drafted. Vince and Haas are fringe 2nd rounders / undrafted but should make a roster. Mathias, I would have said no up till very recently, but he will get at least an audition

Carsen: Yes
Haarms: too early to tell but you can't teach 7'3
Eastern: way too early. Needs to develop his offensive game a lot.
Mathias: would love to see him get a shot but the knock will always be athleticism.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Carsen: Yes
Haarms: too early to tell but you can't teach 7'3
Eastern: way too early. Needs to develop his offensive game a lot.
Mathias: would love to see him get a shot but the knock will always be athleticism.
My son has an offensive game. 6”7 PG at 223 pounds athletic quick feet with lateral quickness high basketball IQ with guard skills and elite vision can score the basketball that can also guard 3 positions at the next level bcuz of his size alone he will get looks from NBA scouts. The amount of set plays they run he’s isnt put into position or on the floor long enough to show his offensive game. My son game is isolation ball screen action off the dribble getting into the lane to score or pass to the open shooter. He has size length athleticism with his size he’s a matchup nightmare for opposing small guards and 4s if switch on ball screens they can’t guard him. He has a post up back to the basket game with good footwork can use either hand to make lay ups. He has a trainer the works on all of this when he’s home. With this senior laden team that runs a tone of set plays at this time it’s hard to see what he can do. This system works for this senior laden team it looks so so good when they run these sets that have teams confused on defense when they run it so well why they will be so hard to beat even a team with athleticism they may face in the Ncaa tournament. They have the ingredients with 5 perimeter shooters 5 guards all can handle the ball 2 Legit 7 footers both vastly different but hard to guard and Mr versatility in Vince with a good bench makes for a team that can win it all. Villinova Oregon Gonzaga and 2014/15 Wisconsin team 2 final 4s comes to mind all 4 year guys mostly and most of those teams either won it or made the final 4. Purdue has all of that to make a serious run for a national title. My point is this nojel offensive game is there if he get his shot together and better and it’s getting better he’ll get some pro scouts taking notice.

Reactions: skfboiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT