ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting conversation with a Kauai local

BSIT

All-American
Feb 2, 2011
Poipu, HI
Our landscaper who’s a mixture of Hawaiian, Japanese and White said his son is the drummer for the band Disturbed and while on tour in Europe they were given iodine medication as a precaution to a Russian nuclear event.

I told him we heard a military jet on the South shore a couple days ago which was unusual. We have the Pacific Missile Range on the West side of the island that does a lot of testing and advanced development but there’s no fighter jets located there. He said there have been Chinese ships near Hawaii in international waters.

He went on to say how messed up the country is militarily. He said Generals have become too woke focusing on the wrong things. He served years ago but said we are greatly understaffed now and it’s getting worse. He further said if a draft was reinstated the country’s young would draft dodge worse than VN.

He then went off on how screwed up our economy has gotten with Biden’s war on fossil fuels which has caused a ripple effect on food prices, difficulty getting fertilizer and even 2 cycle oil for his machines.

We have a lot in common because he lived in Ft Wayne for a period of time and has children living In Indiana and Michigan. Additionally he lived in Orange County CA before moving back to Kauai (his mother is from Kauai). He said he gave up on politics years ago having last voted for Bush the dad and he has no intention voting in the future.

I bring this up because he thinks this country is going down hill fast and feels frustrated that he has very little control of what is happening. IMO this country needs another Reagan so badly now

Last edited:
No surprise to woke pushback in the military. Also I assume (could be wrong) we're in less active engagements now than we have been for some time, so wouldn't surprise me to hear we're understaffed. I'm also sure if a foreign troop ever touched foot on US soil young people would have no issue being drafted, it all depends on the circumstances. Being drafted to go fight Russia in Ukraine probably wouldn't go over well.

Food prices and difficulty getting anything is a global problem today, not just a US problem. I work for a large international company and over the last two years I've gone from 0% of my time focused on supply chain to ~50% today. It's still a slugfest out there for a lot of commodities, which continues to have far reaching market impacts, inflation included.

As my fifth grade social studies teacher always said, if you don't vote you have no right to complain about American politics.

Our landscaper who’s a mixture of Hawaiian, Japanese and White said his son is the drummer for the band Disturbed and while on tour in Europe they were given iodine medication as a precaution to a Russian nuclear event.

I told him we heard a military jet on the South shore a couple days ago which was unusual. We have the Pacific Missile Range on the West side of the island that does a lot of testing and advanced development but there’s no fighter jets located there. He said there have been Chinese ships near Hawaii in international waters.

He went on to say how messed up the country is militarily. He said Generals have become to woke focusing on the wrong things. He served years ago but said we are greatly understaffed now and it’s getting worse. He further said if a draft was reinstated the country’s young would draft dodge worse than VN.

He then went off on how screwed up our economy has gotten with Biden’s war on fossil fuels which has caused a ripple effect on food prices, difficulty getting fertilizer and even 2 cycle oil for his machines.

We have a lot in common because he lived in Ft Wayne for a period of time and has children living In Indiana and Michigan. Additionally he lived in Orange County CA before moving back to Kauai (his mother is from Kauai). He said he gave up on politics years ago having last voted for Bush the dad and he has no intention voting in the future.

I bring this up because he thinks this country is going down hill fast and feels frustrated that he has very little control of what is happening. IMO this country needs another Reagan so badly now
That's one of my favorite bands!

Reactions: TheGunner and BSIT
No surprise to woke pushback in the military. Also I assume (could be wrong) we're in less active engagements now than we have been for some time, so wouldn't surprise me to hear we're understaffed. I'm also sure if a foreign troop ever touched foot on US soil young people would have no issue being drafted, it all depends on the circumstances. Being drafted to go fight Russia in Ukraine probably wouldn't go over well.

Food prices and difficulty getting anything is a global problem today, not just a US problem. I work for a large international company and over the last two years I've gone from 0% of my time focused on supply chain to ~50% today. It's still a slugfest out there for a lot of commodities, which continues to have far reaching market impacts, inflation included.

As my fifth grade social studies teacher always said, if you don't vote you have no right to complain about American politics.
Yep. The good thing about a draft that wouldn’t have special deferments for the political connected folks would be the less likely we would get involved in nation building wars. I would hope if the homeland were attacked our young would fight

Yep. The good thing about a draft that wouldn’t have special deferments for the political connected folks would be the less likely we would get involved in nation building wars. I would hope if the homeland were attacked our young would fight
its why we no longer rely on war bonds.
if we did, there would not be much war.

Russia and China are working together playing 4D chess while this administration is forcing the military to play checkers (or better yet Chinese checkers.)

Reactions: BSIT

He went on to say how messed up the country is militarily. He said Generals have become too woke focusing on the wrong things. He served years ago but said we are greatly understaffed now and it’s getting worse. He further said if a draft was reinstated the country’s young would draft dodge worse than VN.

Good to get a "State of the Nation" report from your "landscaper" who doesn't follow politics and hasn't voted in over 30 years.

Considering Biden won Hawaii by 30%, I'm not sure his views represent the views of most Hawaiians.

One of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read here, but I have only a couple things to write on:

Chinese “warships” (almost always intel gathering ships without actual weapons called AGIs) have been operating around Hawaii for at least the last 15 years. It’s not unusual.

Navy aircraft use that range regularly during annual battle group exercises such as RIMPAC among others. That you have never heard a military aircraft there speaks more to your lack of observation than anything else.

Last edited:
One of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read here, but I have only a couple things to write on:

Chinese “warships” (almost always intel gathering ships without actual weapons called AGIs) have been operating around Hawaii for at least the last 15 years. It’s not unusual.

Navy aircraft use that range regularly during annual battle group exercises such as RIMPAC among others. That you have never heard a military aircraft there speaks more to your lack of observation than anything else.
Lol, I know about the joint naval exercises. In fact I had a civilian annual pass to the base that allowed access to one of the best beaches on island. This pass also allowed me to have access to the officer's club which served food and alcohol. Where did I say "never heard military aircraft"? I said "we heard a military jet on the South shore a couple days ago which was unusual". From time to time we see helicopters and military transport planes. There's a difference of observing unusual activity to your comment "That you have never heard a military aircraft there speaks more to your lack of observation than anything else". But carry-on. Since you are so knowledgeable. how is the Biden vote working out for your limo business? Increased travel from pent up Covid demand has probably been good but are you able to pass along your increased fuel costs? Or better yet, did you follow Mayor Pete and VP Harris's direction to buy electric vehicles ?

Reactions: Crayfish57
Good to get a "State of the Nation" report from your "landscaper" who doesn't follow politics and hasn't voted in over 30 years.

Considering Biden won Hawaii by 30%, I'm not sure his views represent the views of most Hawaiians.
Ah yes the condensation comment from the liberal who equates "deplorable" and "gun and bible holders". Funny thing is I knew this would trigger a reaction by using "landscaper". Actually he use to own his own successful irrigation / landscaping business in Orange County. He even had enough left over money to afford Angels season tickets that he could entertain clients. Additionally this poor pauper still has a home walking distance to the beach in SoCal. The nerve of him

how is the Biden vote working out for your limo business? Increased travel from pent up Covid demand has probably been good but are you able to pass along your increased fuel costs? Or better yet, did you follow Mayor Pete and VP Harris's direction to buy electric vehicles ?
LOL, I got laid off from that job two years ago during the Trump Pandemic Depression and have started two businesses since then, both of which are flourishing thanks to Biden’s expert economic leadership, thanks for asking.

(See? I can give credit to Presidents for shit they have nothing to do with too!)

But please do regale us with further stories about your multi-racial landscaper’s political and military opinions. I can think of no better source. 🤣 Well, maybe someone who can go hang out at the Officer’s Club on a civilian pass. Yes yes, I am certain your military opinions are well-informed. 😅

You have “transport planes”, and antisubmarine patrol aircraft, as well as helicopters all stationed at Pearl, so of course you see them. Seeing fighters at the Pacific Missile Test Range is anything but “unusual”.

• Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider and BSIT
LOL, I got laid off from that job two years ago during the Trump Pandemic Depression and have started two businesses since then, both of which are flourishing thanks to Biden’s expert economic leadership, thanks for asking.

(See? I can give credit to Presidents for shit they have nothing to do with too!)

But please do regale us with further stories about your multi-racial landscaper’s political and military opinions. I can think of no better source. 🤣 Well, maybe someone who can go hang out at the Officer’s Club on a civilian pass. Yes yes, I am certain your military opinions are well-informed. 😅

You have “transport planes”, and antisubmarine patrol aircraft, as well as helicopters all stationed at Pearl, so of course you see them. Seeing fighters at the Pacific Missile Test Range is anything but “unusual”.
So you must be making a killing bussing illegals from the Southern border to small towns throughout the Midwest!

So you must be making a killing bussing illegals from the Southern border to small towns throughout the Midwest!
Lol did you pick up his “ multi-racial landscaper’s” comment too? The Dems try to act like they’re above it all when it comes to racial issues but can’t help but trip over themselves

Lol did you pick up his “ multi-racial landscaper’s” comment too? The Dems try to act like they’re above it all when it comes to racial issues but can’t help but trip over themselves
First of all, I'm anything but a "Dem". Secondly, I thought it was odd and basically useless information that you included in your first post - like nothing you said had anything to do with the fact that this person was Hawaiian/Japanese/White, but you pointed it out. So my comment about him being a "multi-racial landscaper" was intended to point out just how absurd it is that you cited his opinions about... well... literally anything. MY landscapers happen to all be of Mexican descent. Perhaps on Wednesday I'll ask them what they think about US military policy and report back.
I don't work in bus-world anymore, but yes, I am making a killing, enough that I left my defense contracting job in February and no longer work for a paycheck from someone else. Thank you for asking!

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57 and BSIT

Obviously you never actually read what you post do you? Besides Builderbob 99% of the dumbest posts on here are by you.

First of all, I'm anything but a "Dem". Secondly, I thought it was odd and basically useless information that you included in your first post - like nothing you said had anything to do with the fact that this person was Hawaiian/Japanese/White, but you pointed it out. So my comment about him being a "multi-racial landscaper" was intended to point out just how absurd it is that you cited his opinions about... well... literally anything. MY landscapers happen to all be of Mexican descent. Perhaps on Wednesday I'll ask them what they think about US military policy and report back.

I don't work in bus-world anymore, but yes, I am making a killing, enough that I left my defense contracting job in February and no longer work for a paycheck from someone else. Thank you for asking!
Welfare doing good for you then?

• Haha
Reactions: SKYDOG and BSIT
Ah yes the condensation comment from the liberal who equates "deplorable" and "gun and bible holders". Funny thing is I knew this would trigger a reaction by using "landscaper". Actually he use to own his own successful irrigation / landscaping business in Orange County. He even had enough left over money to afford Angels season tickets that he could entertain clients. Additionally this poor pauper still has a home walking distance to the beach in SoCal. The nerve of him
I don't care how much money he has and he sounds like someone I'd call when I need my irrigation system fixed, but it doesn't sound like he has any more insight on these issues than anyone else. That was the point.

I'm going to go on a riff. I won't respond because its not worth arguing about but...

I really get tired of uneducated people believing their "opinion" should be given equal weight to those who are educated and leaders in particular fields. If you want me to take you seriously about global economics then show me your credentials as an economist or at the very least support your arguments with articles and data synthesized by economists. If you want me to consider your opinion on the global health issues become a doctor or an epidemiologist. If your not a climate scientist, I don't care if you think global warming is real. Having a son in the military doesn't make you an "expert" on the military.

That's not elitist or snobbery. It just makes sense. If I need my car fixed I'll call a mechanic. If I need my HVAC fixed I'll call a heating and air conditioning company and if I need advice caring for my plants, I'll call your landscaper. Why? Because they know more about these things then I do.

I don't care how much money he has and he sounds like someone I'd call when I need my irrigation system fixed, but it doesn't sound like he has any more insight on these issues than anyone else. That was the point.

I'm going to go on a riff. I won't respond because its not worth arguing about but...

I really get tired of uneducated people believing their "opinion" should be given equal weight to those who are educated and leaders in particular fields. If you want me to take you seriously about global economics then show me your credentials as an economist or at the very least support your arguments with articles and data synthesized by economists. If you want me to consider your opinion on the global health issues become a doctor or an epidemiologist. If your not a climate scientist, I don't care if you think global warming is real. Having a son in the military doesn't make you an "expert" on the military.

That's not elitist or snobbery. It just makes sense. If I need my car fixed I'll call a mechanic. If I need my HVAC fixed I'll call a heating and air conditioning company and if I need advice caring for my plants, I'll call your landscaper. Why? Because they know more about these things then I do.
Ah yes the vaunted I'm more educated than you are and thus I wont respond. We arent talking about being a brain surgeon its a view of the world . But you are more educated and thus wont respond.

The whole idea that some how you are more educated in the world just because ? Yet you state you wont respond ?

What an asshole you are . You have just shown your credentials on that subject

BTW on your last line, it would be than not then so apparently your great education hasn't worked out all that great for you has it? Also, it's if you are or you're not a climate scientist not your . If you can't use the basic levels of the English language while calling others unworthy of you I don't care. Again what an a$$hole

Last edited:

Actually it's an appeal to authority in this logical fallacy you are peddling here. You don't have to be a medical Dr, a climate scientist or an economist to have facts about those areas. Good lord man. This is a major flub.

"A fundamental reason why the Appeal to Authority can be a fallacy is that a proposition can be well supported only by facts and logically valid inferences. But by using an authority, the argument is relying upon testimony, not facts. A testimony is not an argument and it is not a fact."

What is your definition of uneducated vs educated leaders in their particular fields? Sounds like you are a liberal in their own cocoon (guessing an educator or government employee) who was so smart that you're happy with voting for Biden. What have these educated lifelong bureaucrats accomplished other than rely on the taxpayers to fund them?

They are so smart they say we aren't in a recession, don't know the difference between a boy and girl, say BLM / ANTIFA are peaceful protesters, oversee increased city homeless population that are primarily drug addicts, prosecute law bidding citizens while releasing or not charging criminals, make it harder for petroleum exploration while at the same say the subsequent pain for Americans will be worth it as they connect to electric cars that in some regions will create a larger carbon footprint than gas autos let alone finding the infrastructure to charge up their vehicles. We won't even discuss how the "educated" managed Covid (rules for thee but not for me).

As for this individual with 3 degrees along with being 4 time vaccinated who pays more than my fair share of taxes supporting the "educated" folks, I'm happy stepping out of my 2.6 acre Kauai compound and listen to the common folks

Ah yes the vaunted I'm more educated than you are and thus I wont respond. We arent talking about being a brain surgeon its a view of the world . But you are more educated and thus wont respond.

The whole idea that some how you are more educated in the world just because ? Yet you state you wont respond ?

What an asshole you are . You have just shown your credentials on that subject
Biden voters are so smart. They cant even figure out one thing Biden has done well

Special deferments for the politically-connected folks? You mean like what Donald Trump did?

Here's a good quote from Richard Feynman:

"Have no respect whatsoever for authority; forget who said it and instead look what he starts with, where he ends up, and ask yourself, "Is it reasonable?""

This quote flies in the face of your appeal to authority.

trump pandemic... Have started two businesses since then, both of which are flourishing thanks to Biden’s expert economic leadership, thanks for asking.

🤣🤣This had me rolling.

Congrats on your businesses.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
I really get tired of uneducated people believing their "opinion" should be given equal weight to those who are educated and leaders in particular fields.

While I understand your point, this uneducated man knows I now have the wisdom to partially disagree with it.

For example, there are several college sociology professors I disagree with on their woke societal views even though some say they are an expert in their field.

Moreover, I do know the educated Dr. Faucci said quite a few things an uneducated man like me (PurdueMS) now knows might not hold water under Scientific scrutiny. Lol.

Finally, I do not listen to opinions of woke DAs and judges who want to free criminals and not prosecute crime even though they are lawyers who supposedly know the law.

But sure, on the other hand..... I do not listen to the views of sports heros, or movie stars on any item other than perhaps sports or Hollywood. Likewise, I would never listen to a media social influencer just because they had an opinion.
So on that we are in agreement.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Joetboiler and BSIT
While I understand your point, this uneducated man knows I now have the wisdom to partially disagree with it.

For example, there are several college sociology professors I disagree with on their woke societal views even though some say they are an expert in their field.

Moreover, I do know the educated Dr. Faucci said quite a few things an uneducated man like me (PurdueMS) now knows might not hold water under Scientific scrutiny. Lol.

Finally, I do not listen to opinions of woke DAs and judges who want to free criminals and not prosecute crime even though they are lawyers who supposedly know the law.

But sure, on the other hand..... I do not listen to the views of sports heros, or movie stars on any item other than perhaps sports or Hollywood. Likewise, I would never listen to a media social influencer just because they had an opinion.
I listen to the weather man and stock analysts as they really know their stuff. :rolleyes:

No doubt this business owner knows more about how the economy actually works than some egghead Econ professor who has never made a payroll.

No doubt this business owner knows more about how the economy actually works than some egghead Econ professor who has never made a payroll.
Right. Who would you trust more with resolving supply chain issues due to logistics and transportation. A high school graduate 20 year long haul trucker who has had to navigate dumbass California rules? Or Mayor Pete?

Ah yes your landscaper is a political genius I'm sure.
Typical liberal condensation and that is why I said my landscaper because the left's response is as predictable as the Hawaiian sun. You might want to re read what he said "He then went off on how screwed up our economy has gotten with Biden’s war on fossil fuels which has caused a ripple effect on food prices, difficulty getting fertilizer and even 2 cycle oil for his machines." What is brilliant is my "landscaper" states the obvious but Dems have the blinders on. Looks like the "educated" liberals aren't very smart

I waited a few days before responding to anyone most of the responses weren't worth responding to but Boiler Buck, I do agree that we can carry different views on a wide array of topics. The positives and negatives of a "woke" society or prison reform can be debated all day and Its not easy to directly link these issues positively or negatively to the well being of society.

But there are assertions that can be supported by data. I'll give you an example.

I've read several articles over the last couple of weeks about gas prices. We all know or should know that the oil market is global and gas prices are high around the world. Most of these articles have a consistent theme. During the pandemic, global demand tanked causing a glut in the oil market. As a result oil prices plummeted. Oil and gas companies closed refineries because they had access capacity. As we came out of the pandemic demand picked up and our refining capacity had gone down as a result prices began to rise. Exacerbating the situation was/is the situation with Russia and the Ukraine.

Looking at some historic data on WTC prices it seems to make since.

May 2008 $127.35 Modern day Historic High
For the first 6 years of the Obama administration the price of Oil traded in the $80-$90 range occasionally going a little higher or lower.
In January 2015 there was a huge drop in the price of Oil. Doping under $50 per barrel in January 2015 and down to $33.62 in January 2016.
Trump took office in 2017 and prices remained fairly consistent in a range between $50 and $70 per barrel.
The pandemic hit and prices plummeted to $18.84 in April, 2020. By October the prices were back up to $35.79. Prices were back up in the $50-$60 range when Biden took office.
As the economies of the world picked up the prices went up to $83.57 in October 2021 and by February were up to $95 per barrel. The Ukraine war started in February pushing WTC price up to $105 and as of the close of markets yesterday the price is back down to $93 which is about where it was during Obamas first 6 years in office.

Here is a chart of West Texas Crude Prices

For reference here is a chart with the daily global oil demand by year.

Also the US GDP decrease by 3.4% in 2020 and grew by 5.7% in 2021.

So that's how I analyze information. Are there things Biden could have done differently. Maybe, but until someone comes up with more support for the theory that gas prices are high because Biden hates fossil fuels, I'm going to stick with what the experts are saying.

Side bar: Some or most of the articles mentioned the Keystone pipeline but they all say the pipeline wouldn't have been completed yet and that the amount of oil transported through the pipeline would be rather insignificant compared to the global oil market.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT