ADVERTISEMENT

Intelligence Briefings for the Prexy

Admittedly, I am not a supporter of Donald Trump the politician or the person but respect his office and position. That being said, I find reports like these related to intelligence officers to be appalling... http://www.businessinsider.com/us-intelligence-agents-trump-public-comments-2019-2

Situation normal. Again this is not anything new. Give a report that execs/cabinet/President does not like, or sitreps that higher ups in theatre do not like, the challenge comes, and report will be altered. Been going on sonce 90s at least. Different people have different agendas.

Different people require different communication techniques. Trump likes titles(not surprising) and visuals. Visuals are pretty common.

On occasion, challenge is due to test confidence in report. Doubt that is case here.

Would have been more interesting if report had names. Intel officials is real generic.

Situation normal. Again this is not anything new. Give a report that execs/cabinet/President does not like, or sitreps that higher ups in theatre do not like, the challenge comes, and report will be altered. Been going on sonce 90s at least. Different people have different agendas.

Different people require different communication techniques. Trump likes titles(not surprising) and visuals. Visuals are pretty common.

On occasion, challenge is due to test confidence in report. Doubt that is case here.

Would have been more interesting if report had names. Intel officials is real generic.
It's not new that the President doesn't have the attention span to sit through intelligence briefings? Previous Presidents weren't able to focus enough to read through briefings and required pictures to understand basic concepts? Intelligence officials needed to scatter in the President's name in the report to get them to care enough to read what they wrote?

Nothing about this is situation normal.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

It's not new that the President doesn't have the attention span to sit through intelligence briefings? Previous Presidents weren't able to focus enough to read through briefings and required pictures to understand basic concepts? Intelligence officials needed to scatter in the President's name in the report to get them to care enough to read what they wrote?

The bar for Trump is so low it’s below ground so I guess being able to understand pictures drawn for kindergarteners is considered a success.

The bar for Trump is so low it’s below ground so I guess being able to understand pictures drawn for kindergarteners is considered a success.

My situation normal comment was mostly meant toward execs/cabinet/members/presidents having their agenda, beliefs, and message they want to deliver, regardless of intel. Nothing new.

Want examples? Trump wants a tougher stance on Iran with nukes, Obama insisted Al Qaeda was dead, Shinseki said 400,000 soldiers would be needed for decades in Iraq. Iran is an issue but not much with nukes, Al Qaeda was doing fine, and Shinseki wss right in Iraq but all but fired that day when Rumsfeld got pissed at him for stating that. Happens constantly.

This is not new. Trump is Trump. He perks up at pictures and titles. Ok. Obama attended less than 40% of his meetings let alone pay attention, Bush let Cheney and Rumsfeld manipulate his briefings and finally wisened up in 2005ish, Clinton/Gore publicly mocked North and other intel people for warnings on OBL.

Hey I do not get why Presidents cannot listen to a 30-60 minute intel brief with Directors, other execs if Director NA, or actual field agents if they uncovered something critical. But I am not President either.

The more important aspect is miltary leaders get critical info to theatre, and LEO get critical information. Presidents are just trying to win re election more than anything. They are tately needed for field action.

My situation normal comment was mostly meant toward execs/cabinet/members/presidents having their agenda, beliefs, and message they want to deliver, regardless of intel. Nothing new.

Want examples? Trump wants a tougher stance on Iran with nukes, Obama insisted Al Qaeda was dead, Shinseki said 400,000 soldiers would be needed for decades in Iraq. Iran is an issue but not much with nukes, Al Qaeda was doing fine, and Shinseki wss right in Iraq but all but fired that day when Rumsfeld got pissed at him for stating that. Happens constantly.

This is not new. Trump is Trump. He perks up at pictures and titles. Ok. Obama attended less than 40% of his meetings let alone pay attention, Bush let Cheney and Rumsfeld manipulate his briefings and finally wisened up in 2005ish, Clinton/Gore publicly mocked North and other intel people for warnings on OBL.

Hey I do not get why Presidents cannot listen to a 30-60 minute intel brief with Directors, other execs if Director NA, or actual field agents if they uncovered something critical. But I am not President either.

The more important aspect is miltary leaders get critical info to theatre, and LEO get critical information. Presidents are just trying to win re election more than anything. They are tately needed for field action.

I could buy everything you just said if Trump also didn’t dismiss the intelligence community as well. So it kind of blows all of this out of the water. (Sorry, I’m not trying to start anything here, it’s just that everything contradicts everything with him. He may have good intentions but then machine guns the hell out of it before it ever gets off the ground).

Reactions: Purdue97
I could buy everything you just said if Trump also didn’t dismiss the intelligence community as well. So it kind of blows all of this out of the water. (Sorry, I’m not trying to start anything here, it’s just that everything contradicts everything with him. He may have good intentions but then machine guns the hell out of it before it ever gets off the ground).

I do not disagree. Trump has a serious case of insert foot in mouth disease.

I get what you are saying, the way he handled ‘ending’ wars in Afghanistan and Syria, should have received some if not quite a bit of positive pub, except that became the back up story.

Telling Centcom in Iraq to monitor Syria, glad he informed Centcom, they had no idea.(dws)

‘Ending’ in quotes cause I do not think anything is ending in Afghan-Iran-Iraq-Syria-south to Yemen anytime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT