ADVERTISEMENT

Injury updates

lovelyblonde

True Freshman
Aug 27, 2018
I know we had 4 guys with injuries early on. Furst, Waddell, Heide and Smith if my memory serves me correctly, or maybe it was Loyer instead of SMith. Anybody have any updates on these injuries? There is a big ten guide to injuries that is supposed to be updated and I didn't see a single Purdue player listed, which I am happy about, but wasn't sure of it's accuracy.

I know we had 4 guys with injuries early on. Furst, Waddell, Heide and Smith if my memory serves me correctly, or maybe it was Loyer instead of SMith. Anybody have any updates on these injuries? There is a big ten guide to injuries that is supposed to be updated and I didn't see a single Purdue player listed, which I am happy about, but wasn't sure of it's accuracy.
In a recent interview Painter said Furst, Smith, and Heide are back after sitting out summer with foot injuries. He said Waddell is practicing but can tell he is not 100% yet and will take more time to fully recover from ACL. Edey also had a concussion at some point too in preseason, but it looks like he played in the scrimmage.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
In a recent interview Painter said Furst, Smith, and Heide are back after sitting out summer with foot injuries. He said Waddell is practicing but can tell he is not 100% yet and will take more time to fully recover from ACL. Edey also had a concussion at some point too in preseason, but it looks like he played in the scrimmage.
I have a feeling Waddell will not be back to 100% until late in the season or more than likely next year.

For most elite athletes that get past the first 8 weeks (and eliminate the swelling), it's all mental, and whether or not you trust the knee.
For most Purdue football and men's basketball players it's usually been 1.5 to 2 years before they are actually back to normal after ACL injury.

Luckily we haven't had a lot of ACL injuries in recent years.

He had a major knee injury - multiple ligaments. The fact he’s practicing again is a good sign.
understand it is a good sign that he is practicing, but doesn't sound good at this time of the year with him being behind "for this year" although maybe in a couple of months that is not an issue

Reactions: hoosierdog1
He had a major knee injury - multiple ligaments. The fact he’s practicing again is a good sign.

Continue to wish him the best for a full recovery and a healthy playing career going forward. From a friend of mine who is a retired orthopedic surgeon having played football in the old Southwest Conference - "You're never quite fully the same after reconstructive surgery." Now, the advances over the years have shortened recovery time and helped with getting stronger around the joint - but there is still some loss or range of motion. That's on the physical end of it. As '85 points out, the mental obstacles are just as crucial in trusting the stability/healing process.

He seems to be within the wide range of possible timetables - gradual progress and build his confidence - looking forward to seeing him play for the Boilers whenever that is.

For most elite athletes that get past the first 8 weeks (and eliminate the swelling), it's all mental, and whether or not you trust the knee.
I had knee surgery about 7 months. It was a mental thing initially, but I got back to not thinking about it. I am still far from being back to 100%. I did over 17 PT sessions to get ready to officiate the HS soccer season. I will be doing basketball soon. I am not 17/18 years old obviously, but I have to be able to keep up with them.
The speed and flexibility is still a work in progress. My orthopedic surgeon told me that I won’t be 100% until January or February, which is about a year from the surgery. The more I push myself the stronger I get.
I understand that Waddell has the best trainers and medical staff. He is years upon years younger than me. However, my timeframe is typically for what it takes most people to get back to 100% again. He could be an exception, but that is why I said in an earlier post that I think it will be later on in the season until he is 100% back.

I had knee surgery about 7 months. It was a mental thing initially, but I got back to not thinking about it. I am still far from being back to 100%. I did over 17 PT sessions to get ready to officiate the HS soccer season. I will be doing basketball soon. I am not 17/18 years old obviously, but I have to be able to keep up with them.
The speed and flexibility is still a work in progress. My orthopedic surgeon told me that I won’t be 100% until January or February, which is about a year from the surgery. The more I push myself the stronger I get.
I understand that Waddell has the best trainers and medical staff. He is years upon years younger than me. However, my timeframe is typically for what it takes most people to get back to 100% again. He could be an exception, but that is why I said in an earlier post that I think it will be later on in the season until he is 100% back.

Good luck with it, KentuckyBoiler - hope everything else is progressing well for you. Also, make sure you call the damn three-second violations, will you? :)

Good luck with it, KentuckyBoiler - hope everything else is progressing well for you. Also, make sure you call the damn three-second violations, will you? :)
Believe me. Kids hate me on that. It is like I am the only one that ever calls them on that. If they know you will call it though, they stop doing it.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Supposedly ACL and MCL.
I know two girls (besides my daughter) that played for Ben Davis and Pike bball teams that wanted to play so bad, after they tore their ACL'S, they played with a brace . It worked! This was back around 2012. My daughter just did the therapy and got back to playing pretty fast. Still wasn't 100% until maybe 8 months after surgery. She had surgery in January and was ready for school ball that Fall. A lot of it is definitely mental.

I know two girls (besides my daughter) that played for Ben Davis and Pike bball teams that wanted to play so bad, after they tore their ACL'S, they played with a brace . It worked! This was back around 2012. My daughter just did the therapy and got back to playing pretty fast. Still wasn't 100% until maybe 8 months after surgery. She had surgery in January and was ready for school ball that Fall. A lot of it is definitely mental.
It all depends on the extent of the injury. When you injure more than 1 ligament, it’s a much more difficult road back to the court. Regardless of if it’s an ACL or ACL plus other ligaments, one of the biggest issues in dealing with swelling after you get back on the court.

Agree that part of it is mental and trusting the reconstruction, healing, and PT.

I mean just look at Acuna in baseball. He did not look the same all season. Its all varying. The good news for Brian is he is under no pressure to rush back. We have plenty of guys capable of playing at his position.

Anyone know whats up with Berg? I hadn't seen anything about him being injured, but he never left the bench in the scrimmage, and didn't participate in warmups?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT