ADVERTISEMENT

Info on New WBB recruits

Thanks for sharing.

Stoddard is the only one of the three I've seen play and I think I've been watching that Crown Point team in the LaPorte regional since she was a freshman. Some good battles between Crown Point and Penn in that time. I think she will need to get stronger to play in the Big Ten but you can say that about most freshmen post players coming into the league.

I like Pott's size for a point guard. I don't know if that is going to be her position at Purdue or whether she will be more of a combo guard or wing. Either way, I'm of the belief that it's optimal to have no fewer than 3 players on the court with point guard skills at all times in women's college basketball which means you should have 6 or more on the roster. If I look at our current roster, I think I'd count maybe 2 or 3. If Potts can come in, take care of the ball, and make good decisions, I think she could play an immediate role.

Holzer is the big question mark for me. Her one year of high school ball in the US seemed to produce promising results. The stats from her time playing in Switzerland are a bit hard to interpret.

Reactions: DocRon
Thanks for sharing.

Stoddard is the only one of the three I've seen play and I think I've been watching that Crown Point team in the LaPorte regional since she was a freshman. Some good battles between Crown Point and Penn in that time. I think she will need to get stronger to play in the Big Ten but you can say that about most freshmen post players coming into the league.

I like Pott's size for a point guard. I don't know if that is going to be her position at Purdue or whether she will be more of a combo guard or wing. Either way, I'm of the belief that it's optimal to have no fewer than 3 players on the court with point guard skills at all times in women's college basketball which means you should have 6 or more on the roster. If I look at our current roster, I think I'd count maybe 2 or 3. If Potts can come in, take care of the ball, and make good decisions, I think she could play an immediate role.

Holzer is the big question mark for me. Her one year of high school ball in the US seemed to produce promising results. The stats from her time playing in Switzerland are a bit hard to interpret.
I agree with your summaries. Holzer's experience against all types of international players is pretty impressive. I think she would come in ahead of a lot of freshmen. I hope so, at least.

It seems to me like there is little info on the three new recruits in most of the media. Even though there is info on the Purdue Sports site, it is not headlined. Here is the link if you are interested. Three new WBB Recruits
These are Sharon Versyp's recruits correct? Sharon recruited them? If so, we will have to wait until next season's signing day to unveil Katie's first recruiting class that she was mostly responsible for recruiting. I support these 3 ladies and welcome them to Purdue and to this program and hope that they succeed and all get a Purdue degree and are contributers to this program and are great ambassadors for Purdue, but I can't wait to finally see Katie's first recruiting class that she is responsible for recruiting.

Reactions: DocRon
These are Sharon's recruits, about the same level she has been attaining for a while. The big question is: Can Katie bring in some truly top talent to move us up to NCAA level and, like Painter, can she find diamonds in the rough that surprise the hell out of the league? Hopeful. I think recruits will like her style and the Midwest does have a lot of great players. (Not saying she won't go far and wide.) She mostly needs some dominant front line players.

These are Sharon's recruits, about the same level she has been attaining for a while. The big question is: Can Katie bring in some truly top talent to move us up to NCAA level and, like Painter, can she find diamonds in the rough that surprise the hell out of the league? Hopeful. I think recruits will like her style and the Midwest does have a lot of great players. (Not saying she won't go far and wide.) She mostly needs some dominant front line players.
Pott's flipped to us after it was announced that Katie would be replacing Sharon

I don't think talent was the reason we struggled so much last year. It might be an issue after the exodus in the spring but the team last year had better talent than their record.

I don't think talent was the reason we struggled so much last year. It might be an issue after the exodus in the spring but the team last year had better talent than their record.
I think the 2 players they will really miss this year are Kayana Traylor and Fatou Diagne. Karissa McLaughlin and Tamara Farquhar were not the same players after their injuries that they were before being hurt.

I think the 2 players they will really miss this year are Kayana Traylor and Fatou Diagne. Karissa McLaughlin and Tamara Farquhar were not the same players after their injuries that they were before being hurt.
they miss all 4 a lot....but probably Kayana and Fatou the most I think you're right. But all 4 would have been starters this season imho and played heavy minutes with Madison Layden.

You never miss anyone who doesn't want to be part of the team!!!
Not to mention a team that they left that was horrible last year. No doubt Karissa and Traylor start but this year is rebuilding anyway, might as well play the youngsters.

Not to mention a team that they left that was horrible last year. No doubt Karissa and Traylor start but this year is rebuilding anyway, might as well play the youngsters.
I guarantee you the young ladies on this team are not thinking about a "rebuilding" year. They are thinking about winning as many games as they can no matter who plays. I'm sure they would welcome back Kayana Traylor or anyone that would help them win now.

Thanks for sharing.

I am still astonished that the star of Crown Point, Jessica Carrothers, is signed to play at IUPUI. She is not a flamboyant star but seems to get her 20+ points about any time she needs to. Great get for Austin Parkinson but seems to me she could be a good get for KG through the portal or ????

Reactions: TC4THREE
It does not matter now and we have to look forward, but under Katie's coaching, all of those missing players would have been better because they would have been allowed to play a style that does not stifle them.
Karissa is a really good player as is Traylor and Farquar. But we got who we got and they are playing damn well. It is the coaching, folks.

Reactions: Boilerupone
ADVERTISEMENT