ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana vs. Kentucky All Star Game

Saw that. I think KG is doing as well as can be realistically expected, actually better.

Jones' explosive ability and athleticism to attack the rim and dish it out to our plethora amount of 3 pt shooters - or just score it herself is really going to ignite our offense. Def seeing her getting a ton of minutes at the PG position - maybe from Day 1 she's in a Purdue uni. Things could change - but I don't see Terry taking her COVID year at Purdue - she will have been able to graduate and be a grad transfer and I see her taking that route - thus we will probably need a new PG next year.

Jones' explosive ability and athleticism to attack the rim and dish it out to our plethora amount of 3 pt shooters - or just score it herself is really going to ignite our offense. Def seeing her getting a ton of minutes at the PG position - maybe from Day 1 she's in a Purdue uni. Things could change - but I don't see Terry taking her COVID year at Purdue - she will have been able to graduate and be a grad transfer and I see her taking that route - thus we will probably need a new PG next year.
So Jayla Smith is more of a SG than PG then? Ellis to me is their current PG and she's a senior. A backcourt of Alias Smith and Jones for KG and Purdue in 2023-24? Rashunda at PG and Jayla at SG? Sounds good to me... A very, very nice potential backcourt of great speed, athleticism, and basketball IQ. Should be a fun backcourt to watch for a couple of years.

Reactions: DocRon
So Jayla Smith is more of a SG than PG then? Ellis to me is their current PG and she's a senior. A backcourt of Alias Smith and Jones for KG and Purdue in 2023-24? Rashunda at PG and Jayla at SG? Sounds good to me... A very, very nice potential backcourt of great speed, athleticism, and basketball IQ. Should be a fun backcourt to watch for a couple of years.

Right now I would consider Terry being the PG of the team with Ellis being a combo guard that often plays as the off guard because she's a much better shooter than Terry. Terry doesn't have a reliable shot but has proven effective at running the team and distributing and attacking so she is more of the PG in the current system.

So we have Terry at PG, with Ellis at SG covering over when Terry sits, Layden at the SF spot, and Smith, Williams, Potts, Harden, Swanson, and Holtzer all vying for minutes behind them, correct? Meanwhile we have one center in Woltman and 4 PFs in Learn (who I still think should be a SF), Harper, and Stoddard. I am hesitant to put Petree here, as the official roster has her listed as a guard, so we will see if and where she plays.

We have three redshirt seniors, so they are surely gone after this season (Hardin, Petree, and Harper) with Ellis, Terry and Woltman being normal seniors. It seems we need to make a move this year, because we could face a big drop in CKGs third year losing all that experience and without a center on the squad if Woltman doesn't return or we don't find another one soon.

So for a stab at the depth chart considering all possibilities I think are moderately likely:

C: Woltman, Harper, Stoddard, Learn
PF: Harper, Learn, Hardin, Stoddard
SF: Layden, Hardin, Learn, Petree, Potts
SG: Ellis, Smith, Williams, Potts, Hardin, Holtzer, Swanson, Terry? Petree
PG: Terry, Ellis

Last edited:
So we have Terry at PG, with Ellis at SG covering over when Terry sits, Layden at the SF spot, and Smith, Williams, Potts, Harden, Swanson, and Holtzer all vying for minutes behind them, correct? Meanwhile we have one center in Woltman and 4 PFs in Learn (who I still think should be a SF), Harper, and Stoddard. I am hesitant to put Petree here, as the official roster has her listed as a guard, so we will see if and where she plays.

We have three redshirt seniors, so they are surely gone after this season (Hardin, Petree, and Harper) with Ellis, Terry and Woltman being normal seniors. It seems we need to make a move this year, because we could face a big drop in CKGs third year losing all that experience and without a center on the squad if Woltman doesn't return or we don't find another one soon.

So for a stab at the depth chart considering all possibilities I think are moderately likely:

PF: Harper, Learn, Hardin, Petree, Stoddard
SG: Ellis, Smith, Williams, Potts, Hardin, Holtzer, Swanson, Terry? Petree?
Quick note, Swanson will be a Sr in High School and Holzer is out for the season and will redshirt.

Quick note, Swanson will be a Sr in High School and Holzer is out for the season and will redshirt.
TY, I should have double checked rather than use the info being put out by others in the thread on Swanson..... But looking at the depth chart as I put up, I don't think their presence or absence would be noticeable either way.

TY, I should have double checked rather than use the info being put out by others in the thread on Swanson..... But looking at the depth chart as I put up, I don't think their presence or absence would be noticeable either way.
Agreed, just wanted to give up a heads up. Your list is solid, don’t disagree with any of it really. Guessing the opening night lineup is Terry/Ellis/Layden/Harper/ for sure, 5th spot is up in the air really.

Agreed, just wanted to give up a heads up. Your list is solid, don’t disagree with any of it really. Guessing the opening night lineup is Terry/Ellis/Layden/Harper/ for sure, 5th spot is up in the air really.
I disagree, it has to be Woltman if you have any intention of competing in Big Ten games. Harper at 6'1" is not going to be a starting center on a BT team with a winning conference record. She is just too small. What I fear is the starting lineup will be the same as last years ending starting lineup. Woltman, Hardin, Layden, Ellis, and Terry.

Why is Terry considered a PG? She's not fast, she's not quick... to me she's a Draymond Green type facilitator but Draymond is not considered a PG. She's more a point forward to me, Ellis is a PG. Just like Learn is not a Center, Harper may play the post some, but with Stoddard on the team, the 2 real Centers are Woltman and Stoddard. And Woltman is playing the post because she doesn't have a jump shot. Rickie has never developed a 10-15 jumper for whatever reasons. She came to Purdue imho as a PF to compliment a true Center in a big lineup, but has never developed a jump shot and with Kyle's injury last season, Woltman was forced to be a post player where she's actually thrived in some ways and has seen lots of playing time as a smallish Center. Just like Hardin is not a SF, she's 3 point shooter who doesn't have many other skills on the court, she's a SG. Smith is a combo guard imho, will start at SG alongside Ellis, but can play PG when Ellis sits and will quite a bit. Like Sharon Versyp loved to recruit lots of guards, this team will have lots of SG's this upcoming season. Smith, Potts, Hardin, and Williams will get the most minutes at SG. Learn may be your starting PF and play PF a lot, but Layden will be the starting defacto PF imho with Terry at SF, Woltman at Center, Ellis at PG, and Smith at SG. One thing we can agree on, is that this team is much deeper than last season if they can stay healthy, and has lots of flexibility built in to the lineup possibilities, many of these players will play multiple positions and it may take a few games for KG to get a feel on how to use them in game situations and to develop rotations that best compliments their skills and the team chemistry and how they will be used to best serve the success of the team. Katie can go big with Stoddard at Center and Harper or Woltman at PF, and Layden at SG, with Terry at PG with someone like Learn at SF. And she can go with a small lineup with more quickness and press full court defensively, etc. With Ellis, Smith, Williams, Terry, and Woltman, and on and on. The different combinations and the many possible lineups will be fun to watch, and it will be interesting to see how KG manages them and what she does in certain situations. They have lots and lots of lineup possibilities this coming season, that's for sure. One other thing Swanson won't be on the roster till 2023-24 and Holzer will redshirt.

Last edited:

I still think the starting lineup will be; Jayla Smith will start at SG, Terry is your SF, Ellis is your PG, Madison is your PF, and Woltman will be the starting Center. But from there the fun begins for KG, how to mix and match the remaining 7 available players on this roster. Where do the remaining 7 players find minutes and where do they play and how do they fit the puzzle? There will be tons of different lineup combinations, especially in the exhibition games and the early scheduled games against non-conference teams.

Last edited:
I still think the starting lineup will be; Jayla Smith will start at SG, Terry is your SF, Ellis is your PG, Madison is your PF, and Woltman will be the starting Center. But from there the fun begins for KG, how to mix and match the remaining 7 available players on this roster. Where do the remaining 7 players find minutes and where do they play and how do they fit the puzzle? There will be tons of different lineup combinations, especially in the exhibition games and the early scheduled games against non-conference teams.
First, its very hard to play more than 9 players significant minutes a game (averaging 10 min/game. So some of these players are going to be used in spot roles. Second, if Terry is not playing at PG, she probably isn't playing. She has a very mediocre to poor outside shot and we simply have too many better options at SF and SG than her. Ellis can certainly play PG and does, but it takes away her point production. Layden can play some PF, but she is slightly built and soft and having to guard a pf for very long a game will dramatically reduce her effectiveness IMHO. Also if you are playing Layden at PF, why recruit Harper at all? I very much doubt your starting lineup will even be the same five on the floor in those positions in many if any games. It just puts too many players into positions they are less effective in on a team that isn't that talented to begin with.

I still think the starting lineup will be; Jayla Smith will start at SG, Terry is your SF, Ellis is your PG, Madison is your PF, and Woltman will be the starting Center. But from there the fun begins for KG, how to mix and match the remaining 8 available players on this roster. Where do the remaining 8 players find minutes and where do they play and how do they fit the puzzle? There will be tons of different lineup combinations, especially in the exhibition games and the early scheduled games against non-conference teams.
I still think the starting lineup will be; Jayla Smith will start at SG, Terry is your SF, Ellis is your PG, Madison is your PF, and Woltman will be the starting Center. But from there the fun begins for KG, how to mix and match the remaining 8 available players on this roster. Where do the remaining 8 players find minutes and where do they play and how
I still think the starting lineup will be; Jayla Smith will start at SG, Terry is your SF, Ellis is your PG, Madison is your PF, and Woltman will be the starting Center. But from there the fun begins for KG, how to mix and match the remaining 8 available players on this roster. Where do the remaining 8 players find minutes and where do they play and how do they fit the puzzle? There will be tons of different lineup combinations, especially in the exhibition games and the early scheduled games against non-conference teams.

they fit the puzzle? There will be tons of different lineup combinations, especially in the exhibition games and the early scheduled games against non-conference teams.

First, its very hard to play more than 9 players significant minutes a game (averaging 10 min/game. So some of these players are going to be used in spot roles. Second, if Terry is not playing at PG, she probably isn't playing. She has a very mediocre to poor outside shot and we simply have too many better options at SF and SG than her. Ellis can certainly play PG and does, but it takes away her point production. Layden can play some PF, but she is slightly built and soft and having to guard a pf for very long a game will dramatically reduce her effectiveness IMHO. Also if you are playing Layden at PF, why recruit Harper at all? I very much doubt your starting lineup will even be the same five on the floor in those positions in many if any games. It just puts too many players into positions they are less effective in on a team that isn't that talented to begin with.

It's semantics with Terry, and the word PG... Ellis is the PG on this team, Terry is a PF imho, so maybe they really will have 2 PG's per se. Whatever word you want to use to describe Terry, she will start along with Ellis and probably Smith, so they may have 3 PG's on the floor most of the time. And Madison is a great passer as well, so maybe 4 PG's on the floor at the same time. But I agree that the remaining 7 players aren't elite talent, and KG will find a 9 player rotation at some point. They're still a few years away from being a really good team, but at least KG has some depth this season to work with, maybe not the most talented depth but she has options where she didn't really seem to have many last season.

It's semantics with Terry, and the word PG... Ellis is the PG on this team, Terry is a PF imho, so maybe they really will have 2 PG's per se. Whatever word you want to use to describe Terry, she will start along with Ellis and probably Smith, so they may have 3 PG's on the floor most of the time. And Madison is a great passer as well, so maybe 4 PG's on the floor at the same time. But I agree that the remaining 7 players aren't elite talent, and KG will find a 9 player rotation at some point. They're still a few years away from being a really good team, but at least KG has some depth this season to work with, maybe not the most talented depth but she has options where she didn't really seem to have many last season.
The roster is about the same size, the talent level might be very slightly higher, but some players like Doumbia did not get enough minutes to show what they could do until Layden was out completely while lesser talents like Hardin led the team in minutes. Terry brought the ball up the floor, ran the offense, and led the team in assists. In what universe is that not playing the point guard spot? Smith last season showed no ability to play point imho, but it would be nice if she could as we probably need her to in 2 years.

The most significant thing about this year, manifested in the many line-up guesses, is that KG has more proven depth than last year and she did a pretty good job with what she had. Expect the same this year as all good coaches figure out the best way to go. We know that Layden and Ellis are shoo-ins to play a lot and probably Woltman because she has to play center with her experience. Beyond that it is mix and match and that is where KG's ability will be shown or not. I expect the team to be competitive in a lot of games and maybe sneak in the Dance. But NIT is still a possibility and better than not. It is year to year now with transfers and Covid holdovers making a huge difference which is always TBD. Because of what I saw from KG last year, I think that games will be more fun than not. We are not at all at the top of the BT level I think, but could be wrong.

The most significant thing about this year, manifested in the many line-up guesses, is that KG has more proven depth than last year and she did a pretty good job with what she had. Expect the same this year as all good coaches figure out the best way to go. We know that Layden and Ellis are shoo-ins to play a lot and probably Woltman because she has to play center with her experience. Beyond that it is mix and match and that is where KG's ability will be shown or not. I expect the team to be competitive in a lot of games and maybe sneak in the Dance. But NIT is still a possibility and better than not. It is year to year now with transfers and Covid holdovers making a huge difference which is always TBD. Because of what I saw from KG last year, I think that games will be more fun than not. We are not at all at the top of the BT level I think, but could be wrong.
5-6th place Big Ten finish with a 9-10th seeded NCAA tournament team is what I think happens. Think Layden, Ellis, Terry, Harper all play 25 minutes or so per night, after that going to be lots of mix and match minutes handed out.

I have to bring up the dreaded word "turnovers." The following are the stats. Our team last year was far below the ideal assist/TO ratio of 2.0 but our opponents did poorly also.

ASSIST/TO Ratio WBB 2021-2022
Team 506/484 = 1.05
Opponents 448/474 = 0.94

Individuals:
Guards

Terry 183/100 = 1.83
Layden 80/55 = 1.45
Hardin 50/36 = 1.39
Ellis 95/71 = 1. 34
Smith 21/29 = 0.72

Forwards/Center
Learn 6/17 = 0.35
Woltman 13/41 = 0..32

IMHO that is the big reason why Terry will be PG and Smith has a long way to go.

And BTW, Petree's Assist/TO stats last season were 32/61 for a ratio of 0.53.

I also believe in the good discussions above many are underestimating the impact of Potts on this year's team. In looking at her film, I think she was a huge "get" for us and will have immediate impact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ Ford
I have to bring up the dreaded word "turnovers." The following are the stats. Our team last year was far below the ideal assist/TO ratio of 2.0 but our opponents did poorly also.

Team 506/484 = 1.05
Opponents 448/474 = 0.94

Individuals:
Guards

Terry 183/100 = 1.83
Layden 80/55 = 1.45
Hardin 50/36 = 1.39
Ellis 95/71 = 1. 34
Smith 21/29 = 0.72

Forwards/Center
Learn 6/17 = 0.35
Woltman 13/41 = 0..32

IMHO that is the big reason why Terry will be PG and Smith has a long way to go.

I also believe in the good discussions above many are underestimating the impact of Potts on this year's team. In looking at her film, I think she was a huge "get" for us and will have immediate impact.

Having some quality depth this year will hopefully help improve the turnover numbers. Maybe those that continually turn the ball over will find themselves sitting next to Coach Gearlds. While those that value the ball will be rewarded with more court time.

I agree about Potts. I'm really looking forward to watching her play.

Having some quality depth this year will hopefully help improve the turnover numbers. Maybe those that continually turn the ball over will find themselves sitting next to Coach Gearlds. While those that value the ball will be rewarded with more court time.
I think Potts will be a good player, but its going to be hard to be a freshman on a team returning all its starters and 7 of its top 8 players in minutes per game to get a lot of minutes. Smith, Williams, Potts and maybe Petree and Hardin will all be vying for the minutes Moore vacated, as well as trying to steal some minutes from Layden, Ellis, and Terry. Hardin will be in a fight to get minutes with Harper, and possibly Petree and Learn at the PF slot and could see her minutes drastically cut or have her vying for Moore's minutes as well. Or CKG could play it the same as last year with Smith getting Moore's minutes, Potts getting Smith's and Woltman and Learn sharing post time with Harper with no change in our approach.

Team 506/484 = 1.05
Opponents 448/474 = 0.94

Individuals:
Guards

Terry 183/100 = 1.83
Layden 80/55 = 1.45
Hardin 50/36 = 1.39
Ellis 95/71 = 1. 34
Smith 21/29 = 0.72

Forwards/Center
Learn 6/17 = 0.35
Woltman 13/41 = 0..32

For example, our men's team was pretty good last season, although not necessarily in the turnover category at times, and their end of season A:T was 601:435. Nearly 1.4.

I tend to think a really good turnover number in a competitive game is 10 or less. So if someone were to average 10 turnovers a game for the season they'd need to average 20 assists a game to hit that 2:1 ratio and that seems like alot to average for a college basketball season.

And while there's certainly room for improvement, last season was a step in the right direction from the season before when we were 320:397.

To your point, I think if the players who have the ball in their hands the most and are running our offense can be closer to 2 than 1 that is ideal. I remember someone was critical of Terry's turnovers last year and I remember thinking that for as much as she has the ball and as many assists as she got that 100 turnovers really weren't all that bad, especially considering how the coach was new and most of the players were new to playing together. I think her ratio at 1.8 is solid.

I'm less concerned about the post players. For example, Zach Edey last season was 44:64. That's a byproduct of him only passing when he sees double-teams (otherwise he's going to post up and try to score rather than pass if no double comes). But now that Kyle is gone, I'm not sure we have any players that play that much back-to-the-basket. Maybe Woltman could use that as an excuse but I still think she should be much better than 13:41 for the season

At any rate, I think a guard like Smith needs to be at least on the right side of 1.0. Hopefully we'll see a big jump now that she has a year of experience under her belt.

Is 2.0 a realistic ratio for an entire team? I know it's really good for an individual. I'm curious what a good ratio is for a team.

For example, our men's team was pretty good last season, although not necessarily in the turnover category at times, and their end of season A:T was 601:435. Nearly 1.4.

I tend to think a really good turnover number in a competitive game is 10 or less. So if someone were to average 10 turnovers a game for the season they'd need to average 20 assists a game to hit that 2:1 ratio and that seems like alot to average for a college basketball season.

And while there's certainly room for improvement, last season was a step in the right direction from the season before when we were 320:397.

To your point, I think if the players who have the ball in their hands the most and are running our offense can be closer to 2 than 1 that is ideal. I remember someone was critical of Terry's turnovers last year and I remember thinking that for as much as she has the ball and as many assists as she got that 100 turnovers really weren't all that bad, especially considering how the coach was new and most of the players were new to playing together. I think her ratio at 1.8 is solid.

I'm less concerned about the post players. For example, Zach Edey last season was 44:64. That's a byproduct of him only passing when he sees double-teams (otherwise he's going to post up and try to score rather than pass if no double comes). But now that Kyle is gone, I'm not sure we have any players that play that much back-to-the-basket. Maybe Woltman could use that as an excuse but I still think she should be much better than 13:41 for the season

At any rate, I think a guard like Smith needs to be at least on the right side of 1.0. Hopefully we'll see a big jump now that she has a year of experience under her belt.
I agree about the post players. that is why I put them in a separate category. And yes, I hope Smith can improve but right now you would sure have to say Terry should be our PG unless one of our frosh is exceptional.

In last night's (Friday) Indiana vs Kentucky All-Star Game - Stoddard had FOUR blocks. Pretty impressive.

I'm looking forward to watching this young lady play also. I've never seen her play live. I've read a lot of widely varying opinions on her readiness to contribute immediately. But if she can rebound, defend and run the court. I'm guessing she will get meaningful minutes.

I think the many lineup guesses are due more to lack of clear cut standouts, personal biases for players they have taken a strong liking to, and the desire for rapid improvement which leads to labeling some incoming player (or in the case of DavidBoiler Smith "being unshackled") "the messiah" that will take us to the next level. The real truth is no one really knows, despite one troll claiming he knows exactly every thought in CKGs head about how she wants her team to look We are all guessing and hoping. We could improve, we could be the same, we could slip some if no one steps up to replace Moore and we develop chemistry problems again from coach playing favorites that don't seem to earn their minutes. I would hope for modest improvement, which would come from not getting swept by UWisc and holding steady in our OOC play. We won't really know what we have as a coach for another 2-4 years though, so any proclamations that she is the savior or next coming of a great coach are VERY premature and like as not nothing b ut bombast and hot air. I HOPE CKG becomes a very good to great coach, I hoped that for the last 4 coaches who all came in much better prepared for the challenges of coaching a school like Purdue..... hope don't make it happen though

Can't disagree with your continued dourness, Micheal, but you are setting up a straw man. Almost no one who commented expects any Messiahs or quick turnarounds and knows that the success of KG is up in the air. But she coached a fun style, won more than expected, seems to have pieces to do better somewhat this year and certain;y does have a spirit to compete and win that is refreshing. Yes the jury is out, but the verdict is not certain and that is good.

Can't disagree with your continued dourness, Micheal, but you are setting up a straw man. Almost no one who commented expects any Messiahs or quick turnarounds and knows that the success of KG is up in the air. But she coached a fun style, won more than expected, seems to have pieces to do better somewhat this year and certain;y does have a spirit to compete and win that is refreshing. Yes the jury is out, but the verdict is not certain and that is good.
It took until year 4 or 5 for signs that Versyp was not going to be a good coach to start to surface. Remember she took Curry's recruits tot he Elite 8 twice, something Curry never did with all her own players. Yes, we got a nice bounce from a new coach, and if it were not for the late season collapse, I would be a lot more encouraged. I am not convinced we are more talented this year than last, but that is why they play the games. I did not state anyone openly is calling someone the program savior, but I BELIEVE that is why you have some fans proclaiming the forthcoming greatness of players that have yet to play, or in the case of Smith, play more than spot minutes. I believe Harper is a player that can help us, but I don't think she will be an adequate center. I HOPE Stoddard can be as a frosh and that Harper and Learn end up manning the PF slot. Yes, I really beat that drum about Learn, but I hate seeing players playing so far from where they can be most effective, and for Learn I believe that is SF, but PF would give her a chance to utilize more of her skills and develop faster. It's why Bogdonova and Osterello played much better in Europe as pros than they did here, they both got moved to their natural positions of SF. And I could very well be wrong, she may not be a good player at any position, but I would no sooner consign her to center than I would Layden who's game, height and build Learn's most resembles, but obviously without the polish or needed skills yet to play at Layden's level. For 12 years fans called for the next season to be Versyp's break out year...... I have grown jaded from that and like the old Missourian jokes; don't tell me, show me. I would love to eat crow on this after next season, but we shall see.

BTW, THANK YOU IlliniBoiler for disagreeing in a civil manner, there is far too little of that on this board, and if we ignore the trolls, maybe this board can start attracting back the many fans chased away by the attacks and hatefullness of some posters.

BTW, THANK YOU IlliniBoiler for disagreeing in a civil manner, there is far too little of that on this board, and if we ignore the trolls, maybe this board can start attracting back the many fans chased away by the attacks and hatefullness of some posters.
Actually this board was a pretty peaceful place until about the time you began to participate, Michael. But I am happy that your recent posts have been less attacking and more civil… and contain some pretty good opinions which you post without condescending swipes at others (most of the time.)

And, BTW, you do realize that you can put in a paragraph break every once in awhile, right?. Some of your long posts are daunting to read. :)

Actually this board was a pretty peaceful place until about the time you began to participate, Michael. But I am happy that your recent posts have been less attacking and more civil… and contain some pretty good opinions which you post without condescending swipes at others (most of the time.)

And, BTW, you do realize that you can put in a paragraph break every once in awhile, right?. Some of your long posts are daunting to read. :)
Thank you, and I will try. I have been reading this board for years before posting again, so I know TC has been attacking other posters before me, you may not have cared because some of them were not very good at putting coherent thoughts into their posts, but this board was an uncivil mess long before I started posting again IMHO.

I will endeavor to use more paragraph breaks. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT