ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana All-Stars named -- Here are three:

Dec 6, 2003
The future is bright...

D3vDsrVW0AAx57g.jpg

too lazy to look it up, and maybe it's the angle of the photo, but what are the heights of these 3? 6'6, 6'4, 6'?

too lazy to look it up, and maybe it's the angle of the photo, but what are the heights of these 3? 6'6, 6'4, 6'?

You Lenny? .....say it ain't so....

Good guess according to 247 - that's what they're respectively listed as....

Mason Gillis (6" 6" - 215), Brandon Newman (6' 4" - 175), and Isaiah Thompson (6' 0" - 165)

I like their collective potential - good fit for the Boilers.

Reactions: DAG10

Mason Gillis (6" 6" - 215), Brandon Newman (6' 4" - 175), and Isaiah Thompson (6' 0" - 165)

A solid class...may not be spectacular from a ratings standpoint, but, all three are really good players, and, most importantly, seemingly really good fits for Purdue and what it does.

Bonus in that all three are likable kids and easy to root for.

Reactions: Roeder

Newman cut his hair so he is likely only about 6'1 (tic).

Who's game is each comparable to? Haven't seen any of them play.
But just from reading, Thompson is supposed to be a bigger, more athletic version of PJ.

But just from reading, Thompson is supposed to be a bigger, more athletic version of PJ.
Thompson is bigger and more athletic than PJ, but, has the same high basketball IQ and same very solid game fundamentally. He looks to score more than PJ did, although that being said, PJ scored a bunch in HS...his role was different when he got to Purdue...not sure if Isaiah's will be or not.

Gillis is athletic, and, can play inside or on the perimeter some. He needs to get better at shooting from distance to be more of a threat away from the basket, but, he can put the ball on the floor, also has good basketball IQ, is unselfish and is a fit for the point/stretch 4 position that Purdue likes to have/use.

While Thompson and Gillis will need to get stronger/bigger (and will), Newman is capable of stepping and contributing day one from a physical standpoint. He is fast in transition, and, very athletic...Wheeler like in that regard (although nowhere near as long as Wheeler). He is good enough to be on the floor from the outset and is capable of helping immediately.

All three are solid, if not spectacular, and, all three will fit what Purdue looks for and does...and all three are athletic, which should be a bonus at both ends of the floor.

I look for Newman to back up Sasha at the shooting guard spot, filling the void left by Carsen from a position standpoint.

Gillis may come in behind Wheeler taking the old Grady Eifert position, if Painter does not take my advice (SIC) and play Haarms and Williams together.

I look for Newman to back up Sasha at the shooting guard spot, filling the void left by Carsen from a position standpoint.

Gillis may come in behind Wheeler taking the old Grady Eifert position, if Painter does not take my advice (SIC) and play Haarms and Williams together.
I'd be surprised if Newman isn't starting. IMO, the day 1 starters will be:

Nojel
Newman
Sasha
Wheeler
Haarms

Isaiah is quicker, talker and better shooter than PJ
Newman has far more potential than Mathias
Gillis is similarly ranked to Vince E
Manny not as gifted as Haas (yet)

The 18 class is better than the class in front of the Vince/Mathias class....if we nail the 2020 class, with the 5 star center and the 6’-5” point guard, look out. It will get interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT