ADVERTISEMENT

In VB we did what we needed to do this week.

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Clearly we cannot compete over a three set match with Nebraska. The last set was pretty embarassing (11-25).. But on Friday we beat a fairly good Michigan team handily.

Now this coming week we need to beat Maryland (at their place where they beat OSU this last week but then lost 1-3 to Michigan who was playing the next day after losing to us.) That game is on Wed and then we pray for a win at Penn State on Friday. I will be pleased if we win one of those but two would be fantastic.

And who was not surprised that Ohio State lost BOTH of their games this last week - to Maryland at Maryland in 4 sets and to 7-10 INDIANA (WHAT???) in Columbus in 5 sets? In the match against IU they were ahead 13-12 in the 5th set when IU went on a 4-1 run winning 16-14. And I do not see where OSU had any significant injuries. After OSU beat Nebraska 3-1, I thought they were the best team in the B1G. How wrong was I? Now OSU faces Minnesota and Wisconsin but both games at home.

And Eva Hudson, at 4.24 kills/set, has now fallen to 3rd place behind Landfair‘s 4.61/set (Minnesota) and Thomas-Allara (4.47/set) (Northwestern). But Maddie Schermerhorn is running away with digs/set at 4.61 ahead of Ohio State’s Murr at 4.47/set. Pretty impressive for Maddie considering she was recovering from an injury for several games while Murr was considered by many at the start of the season to be the best libero in the conference.

Last edited:
Clearly we cannot compete over a three set match with Nebraska. The last set was pretty embarassing (11-25).. But on Friday we beat a fairly good Michigan team handily.

Now this coming week we need to beat Maryland (at their place where they beat OSU this last week but then lost 1-3 to Michigan who was playing the next day after losing to us.) That game is on Wed and then we pray for a win at Penn State on Friday. I will be pleased if we win one of those but two would be fantastic.

And who was not surprised that Ohio State lost BOTH of their games this last week - to Maryland at Maryland in 4 sets and to 7-10 INDIANA (WHAT???) in Columbus in 5 sets? In the match against IU they were ahead 13-12 in the 5th set when IU went on a 4-1 run winning 16-14. And I do not see where OSU had any significant injuries. After OSU beat Nebraska 3-1, I thought they were the best team in the B1G. How wrong was I? Now OSU faces Minnesota and Wisconsin but both games at home.

And Eva Hudson, at 4.24 kills/set, has now fallen to 3rd place behind Landfair‘s 4.61/set (Minnesota) and Thomas-Allara (4.47/set) (Northwestern). But Maddie Schermerhorn is running away with digs/set at 4.61 ahead of Ohio State’s Murr at 4.47/set. Pretty impressive for Maddie considering she was recovering from an injury for several games while Murr was considered by many at the start of the season to be the best libero in the conference.
Sometimes the VB team gives me flashes of the FB team in that they lose unexpectedly (Maryland, NW) and win vs a higher ranked opponent (Minn, early in the season). But I have far more confidence in this team ( and coach) to compete and have a good chance than I do with FB. (Sorry FB, but facts….)

I was unable to watch/follow yesterday’s match but sounds like set 3 was not pretty. Or even competitive. I agree about the next 2 matches - winnable yes, but scary, given both teams recent success. This league!

Did not see OSU losing again - both those losses were stunners. I too thought they were gonna run away with the B10 title. Again… this league…

Here’s hoping for a great finish to the season, high seed, and deep run in the tourney. This team has earned that I think. Such good gals, the whole team. Finish strong ladies.

Lastly, how good is Maddie S ?? Otec 2.0 and then some! Quintessential Boiler VB player - she will be missed after this year

Reactions: DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT