ADVERTISEMENT

In the absence of Purdue Basketball for the next few months,

In the absence of PU basketball for the next few months, what occupies your time?

• Honey Do's

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Golf

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Drinking

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Baseball

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Travel

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Softball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lamenting about Purdue Football

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Other

Votes: 28 38.9%

• Total voters
Golf and boating on the navigable TVA/ Tennessee River ways....Oops, and spending time at our friend's Vineyard...;)
....So all you fellow Boilermakers have a great summer!!

I love how MLB starts right when college basketball ends. And when the World Series ends, college basketball starts up again. Perfect transition.

Agree. Perfect transition between what have become my two favorite sports.

How large and where do you sail out of? Looking at homes in the South Haven/Saugatuck areas.
Meant to add - good luck with the house search. Some friends of mine kept their sailboat on Saugatuck/Douglas for a few years and really liked that area.

How do you handle the downtime?

Golf and baseball with a couple of motorcycle trips tossed in.
I'll spend about 16 days in Germany...maybe a trip or so to Frederick,MD..a wedding in Cleveland..mow about 6 acres..Germany is taking my free time when not talking basketball :) IF anyone is familiar with Germany...speak up!

Taking care of the 2 acre yard, planting some trees, hopefully some golf and spending time with the 2 year old (which will likely be the biggest portion). Oh and trying to decide if kid No.2 is a good idea (probably won't be a purdue level recruit no matter what so this is OT).

I'll spend about 16 days in Germany...maybe a trip or so to Frederick,MD..a wedding in Cleveland..mow about 6 acres..Germany is taking my free time when not talking basketball :) IF anyone is familiar with Germany...speak up!
While I haven't seen a lot of Germany, try to get to Belgium while there. See the Siegfried line with the Dragon's teeth....amazing structures between Eastern Belgium and Western Germany.

While I haven't seen a lot of Germany, try to get to Belgium while there. See the Siegfried line with the Dragon's teeth....amazing structures between Eastern Belgium and Western Germany.
I've been to Germany many times. I always enjoy the Rhine valley, Heidelberg area. Lovely area to see some of the natural beauty of the area. Also check out Rothberg - it is one of the few remaining walled cities left. The Hartz mountains still has a narrow gauge railway serving many of the local communities, with steam engines (a particular interest of mine).

Reactions: tjreese
I'll keep that in mind, but this trip will be the Eastern side (daughter married a guy from Plauen, Germany). I would like to go up the Rhine someday. I know I will be in Plauen, Nurenburg,Dachua, Dresden, Frankfurt and Munich and Prague from the Czech Republic. I want to Fit Berlin in if I can. I intend to go up to Eagles Nest (Lavon Reese) was with the 101st that made it up there (Band of Brother's book/movie) in WWII. I also intend to see Neuschwanstein Castle and a few other castles adn so I will mostly be in Bavaria (Beer area). I do think I would love the Siegfried line. So little time to see so many places...and I'm tied down to a birthday party in Plauen.

I have a cousin that would love to go back...he and the family were allowed to join their father a couple of years after his father was given false papers, had to grow a beard and long hair to live in Frankfurt in 1970...was a commander in the Navy that was gathering some intelligence. He talked about traveling to Eastern Germany with the blinds pulled down on a train years ago. Anyway, I would love your recommendations...for a next time. Thank you!

Reactions: samcboiler
I've been to Germany many times. I always enjoy the Rhine valley, Heidelberg area. Lovely area to see some of the natural beauty of the area. Also check out Rothberg - it is one of the few remaining walled cities left. The Hartz mountains still has a narrow gauge railway serving many of the local communities, with steam engines (a particular interest of mine).
Rothberg is one of the old Romantic Road Cities I think. close to Munich...definite possibility.

I'll keep that in mind, but this trip will be the Eastern side (daughter married a guy from Plauen, Germany). I would like to go up the Rhine someday. I know I will be in Plauen, Nurenburg,Dachua, Dresden, Frankfurt and Munich and Prague from the Czech Republic. I want to Fit Berlin in if I can. I intend to go up to Eagles Nest (Lavon Reese) was with the 101st that made it up there (Band of Brother's book/movie) in WWII. I also intend to see Neuschwanstein Castle and a few other castles adn so I will mostly be in Bavaria (Beer area). I do think I would love the Siegfried line. So little time to see so many places...and I'm tied down to a birthday party in Plauen.

I have a cousin that would love to go back...he and the family were allowed to join their father a couple of years after his father was given false papers, had to grow a beard and long hair to live in Frankfurt in 1970...was a commander in the Navy that was gathering some intelligence. He talked about traveling to Eastern Germany with the blinds pulled down on a train years ago. Anyway, I would love your recommendations...for a next time. Thank you!
I was able to go to Belgium, Western Germany, and Luxembourg about three years ago and re-trace my dad's steps. He too was in the 101st in Bastogne, France, and was dropped by mistake into Holland. It was so humbling to stand in the same places he told me he was, and I was honored with folding the American flag at the American Cemetery at Taps in Luxembourg. I would love to go to Eagles Nest. Have a safe and enjoyable trip and if you're there in September, I'll be in Italy then.

I was able to go to Belgium, Western Germany, and Luxembourg about three years ago and re-trace my dad's steps. He too was in the 101st in Bastogne, France, and was dropped by mistake into Holland. It was so humbling to stand in the same places he told me he was, and I was honored with folding the American flag at the American Cemetery at Taps in Luxembourg. I would love to go to Eagles Nest. Have a safe and enjoyable trip and if you're there in September, I'll be in Italy then.
I want to get to italy as well. Easy company was Lavon's and Bastogne was definitely one of the places. I remember Steve Ambrose calling me around 8 or 9 one night asking if I were a son of Lavon's and I said no, but I know his daughter. He asked if he were alive and I said he had just passed a couple of years earlier..and it went dead silence for what seemed like minutes, but was probably 20-30 seconds. he said he was finding so many that have recently died and wished he would have started his research earlier. he said he was writing a book about a bunch of heroes...a "Band of Brothers" and he wanted it the most accurate account of the war ever made...stories told by teh men themselves. He took her number, thanked me and said lavon's story will not get told and it was a shame. I remember hanging up and him saying a movie would probably follow and thinking ...wow, this will be a great movie. I've seen Band of Brother's several times and when I see the hell they went through ti gives you a whole another perspective. It gave his daughter an understanding why her dad drank so much as well... :(

Anyone that watched the movie will know some of these names...Floyd Talbert got to tell his story and if you scroll down you will see he was the best man to lavon in Lavon's wedding

http://www.bandofbrothers.uphero.com/talbert/eng.html

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
I want to get to italy as well. Easy company was Lavon's and Bastogne was definitely one of the places. I remember Steve Ambrose calling me around 8 or 9 one night asking if I were a son of Lavon's and I said no, but I know his daughter. He asked if he were alive and I said he had just passed a couple of years earlier..and it went dead silence for what seemed like minutes, but was probably 20-30 seconds. he said he was finding so many that have recently died and wished he would have started his research earlier. he said he was writing a book about a bunch of heroes...a "Band of Brothers" and he wanted it the most accurate account of the war ever made...stories told by teh men themselves. He took her number, thanked me and said lavon's story will not get told and it was a shame. I remember hanging up and him saying a movie would probably follow and thinking ...wow, this will be a great movie. I've seen Band of Brother's several times and when I see the hell they went through ti gives you a whole another perspective. It gave his daughter an understanding why her dad drank so much as well... :(

Anyone that watched the movie will know some of these names...Floyd Talbert got to tell his story and if you scroll down you will see he was the best man to lavon in Lavon's wedding

http://www.bandofbrothers.uphero.com/talbert/eng.html
Where do you live? If close enough, I'd love to share the photos I took while there. I actually attend, as a surviving son, some of the yearly meetings of the 501st PIRA, which is a group of the remaining airborne members who gather every year to remember. I was fortunate enough to find a guide who at the age of ten watched the German's kill his father in the kitchen of the family farm. From there, he reached the highest rank in the Belgium army, and became a guide. Because Pop never talked a lot about it, I was able with the guide's help, all the bits and pieces I'd heard. I have a letter from Dad's CO stating that he and another guy in his outfit were directly responsible for stopping the German invasion into Bastogne.

Where do you live? If close enough, I'd love to share the photos I took while there. I actually attend, as a surviving son, some of the yearly meetings of the 501st PIRA, which is a group of the remaining airborne members who gather every year to remember. I was fortunate enough to find a guide who at the age of ten watched the German's kill his father in the kitchen of the family farm. From there, he reached the highest rank in the Belgium army, and became a guide. Because Pop never talked a lot about it, I was able with the guide's help, all the bits and pieces I'd heard. I have a letter from Dad's CO stating that he and another guy in his outfit were directly responsible for stopping the German invasion into Bastogne.
one of my accounts I still use from years ago when involved in educational things is truthined@hotmail.com..tell me something about your friend with two children we know that was there for you during some really tough times for you..a sentence is all so I know it is you and i'll respond tomorrow

How large and where do you sail out of? Looking at homes in the South Haven/Saugatuck areas.
Hey, TwinDegree. I edit a Saugatuck newspaper and would be happy to show you around, should you visit.

Also spent a semester at IU before transferring to PU. Saw the '74-'75 Hoosier team that had Buckner, May, Wilkerson, Green, Laskowski, fellow frosh Kent Benson and a another new recruit, Larry Bird, who decided the Bloomington campus was to big, left and went home to French Lick to work as a garbage man before enrolling at ISU.

Fun times ...

Hey, TwinDegree. I edit a Saugatuck newspaper and would be happy to show you around, should you visit.

Also spent a semester at IU before transferring to PU. Saw the '74-'75 Hoosier team that had Buckner, May, Wilkerson, Green, Laskowski, fellow frosh Kent Benson and a another new recruit, Larry Bird, who decided the Bloomington campus was to big, left and went home to French Lick to work as a garbage man before enrolling at ISU.

Fun times ...
Love the area from St. Joe to South Haven to Saugatuck/Douglas. Visit just about every year, sometimes more than once. Looking for a home on THE lake, or another lake of decent size around there. Some really good wineries too.

You saw the best of the best when you saw that IU team. Just think how good they would have been had Larry the Legend stayed.

Gonna be a busy summer. After an educational and occupational odyssey that took me from Purdue to tool and die repairman back to Purdue then BS and MS in Audiology and wandering through the new profession for nearly 30 years ultimately with a doctorate it's nearing retirement time. Will call it an end at the VA on 9/30. This summer will entail getting the house ready to sell and hopefully ending in the early fall with a new home in coastal South Carolina.

I am racing cars, too.
Where are you planning to run your car?

I have found my reactions are not what they used to be, so I don't do the competitive stuff anymore. I just find a windy twisty road and go play - like the Dragon's Tail. I keep it between the mustard and mayonnaise (Yellow and white lines), and push the car a bit, without leaving too rubber on the road.

Constantly reading about Purdue basketball recruiting, upcoming season, rumors... Hello.... Isn't that what we all do during the off season?

Fantasy Baseball, Fantasy Football, Trying to get outdoors more, Netflix, Visiting the east coast, and did I say scouring the internet and this site for more Purdue Hoops INFO... True die-hard Boiler fans don't have an off season. :D

For all of you with farms and live in rural areas, I am envious of all your outdoor activities, even mowing 2 acre lawns. Living in an urban area with millions has its drawbacks. GO PURDUE !!!!

Reactions: Frankie611
Where are you planning to run your car?

I have found my reactions are not what they used to be, so I don't do the competitive stuff anymore. I just find a windy twisty road and go play - like the Dragon's Tail. I keep it between the mustard and mayonnaise (Yellow and white lines), and push the car a bit, without leaving too rubber on the road.

This is a little different than what you are thinking, and maybe a surprise. I run RC racing cars. Yes, 69 years old and still running these things competitively with the younger crowd. I drive from Indy to Toledo on race weekends to compete. There aren't any tracks like this in Indy that can handle these cars. Here is a link to show the racing and track we use.

So what type of auto racing do you participate in when you "still had it?"

Reactions: samcboiler
This is a little different than what you are thinking, and maybe a surprise. I run RC racing cars. Yes, 69 years old and still running these things competitively with the younger crowd. I drive from Indy to Toledo on race weekends to compete. There aren't any tracks like this in Indy that can handle these cars. Here is a link to show the racing and track we use.

So what type of auto racing do you participate in when you "still had it?"
Around the pylons at random parking lots. Usually set up by the local SCCA chapter. haven't done that for years. Think of the Tire Rack commercial that features "Kenny the Dentist". Having a family meant years of 4-seaters and mini-vans. Just got back into the sports car business.

What I have been doing lately is attending some national meets for the S2000 groups, like "Wake the Dragon". We run the road pretty fast, but never out of control. It's fun as hell to come out of a tight turn in second and wind it out, brake for the next, and gun through it. US 129 near Deals Gap is one of the best roads in the country for this.

Last edited:
Around the pylons at random parking lots. Usually set up by the local SCCA chapter. haven't done that for years. Think of the Tire Rack commercial that features "Kenny the Dentist". Having a family meant years of 4-seaters and mini-vans. Just got back into the sports car business.

What I have been doing lately is attending some national meets for the S2000 groups, like "Wake the Dragon". We run the road pretty fast, but never out of control. It's fun as hell to come out of a tight turn in second and wind it out, brake for the next, and gun through it. US 129 near Deals Gap is one of the best roads in the country for this.
Math, I love the Dragon, but the Cherohala Highway is a blast on the Ducati or MV Agusta. I'll book a room in June for Gatlinburg and take the new Vette down. There's a road that's equal too, or in some cases better called the Rattlesnake southeast of there too. It's 209 in N.C. Here's a link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjwiuiNwabTAhVMw4MKHV0KDB4QFggrMAI&url=http://www.209therattler.com/&usg=AFQjCNF8VI_1XifERThv9FyV2YvkHNFtUQ

Hiking Ga, NC, Tenn. Running, biking, fly fishing, photography. Outdoor things. A little travel, NC, SC beaches.

Watching old Purdue BB games from the DVR. I even have a few videotapes from long, long ago. I like watching Kenny Lowe hug Coach Keady after beating Duke in Alaska some years back.

CoBo

ADVERTISEMENT