ADVERTISEMENT

I'm Sorry

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
I've lived the majority of my life outside the state of indiana. the only time i really lived in indiana is when i attended purdue. I have spent the majority of my life living in Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, Illinios, and California. My daily conversations are with the people I live near, not my school alumni.

for the past 10+ years, I've argued ad nauseum with purdue fans about their recruiting clases. you think the classes and your coaches are awesome because that's all you've ever known. and you compare them to previous Purdue classes. I've tried to say stop comparing this year's class with the past. Compare it to your competition. if you want to beat your competition, you must first beat them in the off season which means recruiting.

When it comes to recruiting I take a nationalistic approach. those nationalistic web sites all seem to like the recruiting classes of michigan, alabama, and OSU. and for the most part with a couple of exceptions, those teams with top 20 rated recruiting classes tend to end up being ranked in the top 20. talented teams tend to win.

people here are all excited Purdue won the western side of the BIG 10 this year as if it's an awesome accomplishment. it is for purdue. but in doing so, purdue still fininshed 8-6, was demolished in a bowl game and was never once in the top 25 all year. ten years from now will people still be talking about this awesome season? Nobody other than boilermakers will be.

my posts have been aimed at trying to educate you as fans that Purdue's recruiting is nowhere close to where it needs to be if you want to build a consistent 8-10 win top 25 team. take some time. look at the recruiting classes of other top 25 teams, and then look at the caliber of players Purdue recruits. yes, most of the purdue players had offers from other power 5 teams. But are teams like OSU upset with the players purdue signed?

Every decade Purdue gets a player like GK. But OSU gets 10+ players every single year as good or better than GK. Purdue beat OSU on a very emotional day when they honored a dying fan. will Purdue ever beat OSU again? maybe. But they will never be favored to win.

my posts during the hazell era pointed to his recruiting targets which most often only had offers from ivy league and mac schools. my posts were about you are never going to beat the big boys unless you compete with the big boys for the same players. rather than recrjuiting players you can sign easily, go after the players that can make a difference and make the big boys upset you stole their recruits.

Living in Ohio, i can tell you waht OSU fans think of purdue's football recruitng class. But you don't want to hear their opinion. all you want to hear is happy news and rah rah posts. you don't like outsider or objective opinions. you want opinions to back up your own beliefs.

You are quick to belittle national recruiting services as being inaccurate except when it's a purdue recruit that received a high rating. if that national service gave a purdue recruit a 4 star rating, it must be spot on. you can't have it both ways. either it's accurate or its not.

I'm tired of arguing wih you. I'm tired of being called names. I'm tired of being misquoted. I'm tired of being right. I'm tired of telling you this team is not as good as you think it is. Some of you think it's a great achievement beating IU. wasn't IU just named the worst team in college football history?

you talk about me seeking attention. isn't that the same as yourself constantly posting about Purdue? to build your own following and cred? why do you feel the need to have 25,000 posts about purdue football ? so that others will bow down to you? why do you feel the need to share a person's personal twitter and also what the national sites have to say about a player? We all can cut and paste.

you love your team. You have your dreams. I will never change them.

however, you must understand there are many Purdue alumni who believe the academics and degree are much more meningful than any football accomplishment. those people don't waste their time posting here. Good bye.

“isn't that the same as yourself constantly posting about Purdue?” - says the guy with 10,000+ posts…

Reactions: Mobes
I've lived the majority of my life outside the state of indiana. the only time i really lived in indiana is when i attended purdue. I have spent the majority of my life living in Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, Illinios, and California. My daily conversations are with the people I live near, not my school alumni.

for the past 10+ years, I've argued ad nauseum with purdue fans about their recruiting clases. you think the classes and your coaches are awesome because that's all you've ever known. and you compare them to previous Purdue classes. I've tried to say stop comparing this year's class with the past. Compare it to your competition. if you want to beat your competition, you must first beat them in the off season which means recruiting.

When it comes to recruiting I take a nationalistic approach. those nationalistic web sites all seem to like the recruiting classes of michigan, alabama, and OSU. and for the most part with a couple of exceptions, those teams with top 20 rated recruiting classes tend to end up being ranked in the top 20. talented teams tend to win.

people here are all excited Purdue won the western side of the BIG 10 this year as if it's an awesome accomplishment. it is for purdue. but in doing so, purdue still fininshed 8-6, was demolished in a bowl game and was never once in the top 25 all year. ten years from now will people still be talking about this awesome season? Nobody other than boilermakers will be.

my posts have been aimed at trying to educate you as fans that Purdue's recruiting is nowhere close to where it needs to be if you want to build a consistent 8-10 win top 25 team. take some time. look at the recruiting classes of other top 25 teams, and then look at the caliber of players Purdue recruits. yes, most of the purdue players had offers from other power 5 teams. But are teams like OSU upset with the players purdue signed?

Every decade Purdue gets a player like GK. But OSU gets 10+ players every single year as good or better than GK. Purdue beat OSU on a very emotional day when they honored a dying fan. will Purdue ever beat OSU again? maybe. But they will never be favored to win.

my posts during the hazell era pointed to his recruiting targets which most often only had offers from ivy league and mac schools. my posts were about you are never going to beat the big boys unless you compete with the big boys for the same players. rather than recrjuiting players you can sign easily, go after the players that can make a difference and make the big boys upset you stole their recruits.

Living in Ohio, i can tell you waht OSU fans think of purdue's football recruitng class. But you don't want to hear their opinion. all you want to hear is happy news and rah rah posts. you don't like outsider or objective opinions. you want opinions to back up your own beliefs.

You are quick to belittle national recruiting services as being inaccurate except when it's a purdue recruit that received a high rating. if that national service gave a purdue recruit a 4 star rating, it must be spot on. you can't have it both ways. either it's accurate or its not.

I'm tired of arguing wih you. I'm tired of being called names. I'm tired of being misquoted. I'm tired of being right. I'm tired of telling you this team is not as good as you think it is. Some of you think it's a great achievement beating IU. wasn't IU just named the worst team in college football history?

you talk about me seeking attention. isn't that the same as yourself constantly posting about Purdue? to build your own following and cred? why do you feel the need to have 25,000 posts about purdue football ? so that others will bow down to you? why do you feel the need to share a person's personal twitter and also what the national sites have to say about a player? We all can cut and paste.

however, you must understand there are many Purdue alumni who believe the academics and degree are much more meningful than any football accomplishment. those people don't waste their time posting here. Good bye.

Didn't read your whole manifesto, but...no please, don't go......

Reactions: pboiler18 and D A Y
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Reactions: pboiler18

Get a load of this guy.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
Expecting a first time head coach to walk in here 98% of the way through a recruiting cycle and vault us into elite prospects commitments in weeks (instead of months or years) is the most tone deaf take i've maybe ever seen on this board. IT suggests you have no rational view of how CFB recruiting works and unrealistic expectations for what it takes to be successful in CFB recruiting as well.

While Walters wasn't my personal first pick, its ignorant to say he hasn't done a good job recruiting....taking into account that you have to constantly recruit your roster, commits and the portal...at all times. Can it be better? Absolutely....but we are damn lucky the Brohms or other teams didn't fully raid our current roster and the only guys who left were either non-contributors, after NIL funds (Holstege), or 3 DL who had already played 5 years in the program and most thought would jump to the NFL anyways.

If what you state above is how you feel and intellectually honest....Purdue doesn't need fans like you.

Good luck in your future adventures.

I have to agree with others that the comments about Walters's recruiting were completely unrealistic given when he was hired and the fact that he was forced to compete for existing verbals with our former coach.

We've had two above-average seasons, and I think most fans know we're not going to win a national title next year. But we'll have a chance to see Walters vision for the program and how well he recruits for it. The pedantry and condescension towards Walters and other fans was a bit much.

I've lived most of my life outside of Indiana, too, but I'm not really looking at how UGA fans perceive our program.

Here is your problem. Why do you feel the need to change our opinion about the team we love? Why do you have to challenge every positive post someone makes?

If you have such a dim view of Purdue football and always feel the need to express those negative views, then you are right - need to find something better to do.

Is Bigs conducting a master class in message board trolling in the creation of the character "Wolegib", the most self-important, unhinged, and verbose poster known to mankind?

It's an act. It just has to be an act.

It's not an act. Bigs is the Sheldon Cooper of our world. He simply believes he's smarter than the rest of us.

You act as if you are all knowing on the situation, yet you show again and again a total disregard for the facts. I have yet to see one fan posting on this and other boards that doesn't have a good idea of what Purdue faces in regards to recruiting against other schools. Most of us know that we have to have a "throw the kitchen sink" mentality on offense to be competitive in a league that has some "bluebloods" controlling it. I am one that believes that academics is the top of the pyramid when it comes to how my alma mater conducts itself competitively as well as athletically.
That puts Purdue at a disadvantage against schools that don't care. Overall budget, location, size of local fanbase, etc. have been discussed ad naseum on these forums.
To act like you are the only one on here that understands this is ludicrous. It is an insult to everyone on here and it is also totally wrong.
In reality Clemson was once in a very similar situation to what Purdue is. Coaches are the most important ingredient to success. Walters deserves time and support to succeed. He has it from me.

I for one won't miss your consistently erroneous analysis. Good bye.

I've lived most of my life outside of Indiana, too, but I'm not really looking at how UGA fans perceive our program.
The last line here sticks with me being a UGA alum. Those teams have so many advantages (state school, fan base, boosters, money, location, stadium) over Purdue that seeing it and understanding it....even though Purdue is a P5 program we are still not in the same league as Michigan, OSU, UGA, Bama, etc.

I think you have to know that and accept that to be happy as a Purdue fan. We aren't THE state school so theres something that will ALWAYS work against us. There are 3 P5 programs in the state that barely has enough talent to support 1....that will always work against us.

The sooner you realize that we aren't going to ever recruit at a top 10 level (sustained at least) the quicker you can relax and enjoy 8-9 win seasons, BIG championship game appearances and the milestones that mean a lot to a mid tier program like Purdue but are common place for the 8-10 (southern) powerhouses in college football. To double down on it...to immediately expect a new coach to put you on that level without so much as a second press conference to his resume and no on field results....its asinine.

Sure, I was crushed on this board for my take on Card/Allen but from what I have seen as a member of a fanbase that values guys who stick it out (like Stetson Bennett) vs. guys who cut and run I just think that Allen was doing himself the biggest injustice by not trying to beat out a guy who is very beatable IMO. My opinion was coming from a place of knowledge (seeing Card play 2 games last year live, knowing what Allen is and isn't, how these transfer situations go) and not a place of look at me ignorance like Wole. My point here is....if you're not being constructive....if being a fan bothers you....you need to go.

Glad that Wole has finally realized this for himself. Do hope he either comes back with a realistic base of the program....or just doesn't come back.

So what I hear you saying , is your excited about the program going forward and your wife does like Neil Diamond and she left you.....
Dr. Marvin you can help me 🤣

Du

I haven't posted or perused much since all the changes, but happened to stop by.

Dude, with you it's the same ol' same ol'.

You set up nothing but straw man arguments.

There is no general 'you', yet *YOU* use it frequently to bash Purdue fans. Stop it. It's ignorant as h*ll.

You b*tch about being called names, yet you call people names and b*tch about people and what they post.

You b*tch about people "belittling", yet you belittle people.

You post demonstrably false statements about recruiting, get called on it (Redshirting, Bigs????) then hide and ignore the data when you're blatantly WRONG.

Very few people want you to leave, but you do you. As you always have.

Lol. always love these self absorbed goodbye posts. No one gives a shit if you stay or leave.

"my posts have been aimed at trying to educate you as fans..."

If ever a single line from a post best summarized its message, this is it. Congrats.

On behalf of Boiler Nation, thank you for fansplaining, er, your patronization, no, wait, for your efforts. Ya, for your efforts.

Recruiting isn't an exact science. Some of our best players came in as 3 stars (Kerrigan, Pollard, D Keller). And don't forget Hall of Famer Brees who was recruited by just Purdue and Wyoming. So it not like we are shut out in recruiting. We don't have to beat Georgia or Alabama or Clemson (don't play em). Just have to beat half of the BIG and win a couple non-conference gimmes to have a solid season. That's all most of us want... and maybe play well enough in some of those losses to deserve respect (PSU & Syracuse this year). 2022 football was mostly fun for Purdue fans. Give us some more Coach Walters. Don't need national championships to enjoy football Saturdays!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT