ADVERTISEMENT

I'm Saying It Since No One Else Will: Future of Purdue Football > Basketball

BoilerInChiTown

True Freshman
Oct 5, 2016
I don't give a f#*k if you agree with me or not, but I feel like our football team will be in the football playoff w/ Brohm before we make the final 4 w/ Painter (hope I'm wrong).

Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with Painter and went to school when he played. Met my expectation last year with a sweet 16 appearance just like I've predicted before the season. Kinda know what to expect from him, decent recruiter therefore pretty good teams for the most part. Top 3-4 teams in the B1G most years with a sweet 16 every once in a while. Straight up man-to-man defense no matter what, even though an occasional zone can be a monkey wrench if nothing else. Probably top 3-4 coaches in the B1G after Beilein & Izzo (anyone arguing this fact is uninformed), but somehow I don't see him getting to the final 4 in the foreseeable future unless our recruiting picks up. And with Miller now getting most of the top Indiana recruits I'm just not seeing it.

How far our football program will go with Brohm (if we are able to keep him here), it's still to be determined, but It's a amazing what the right coach can possibly do for you...

I agree with most of what you said. Although, I think it might be a little premature to say that Brohm gets to a playoff before Painter gets to a Final 4. That's a steep hill to climb, and if Brohm really is that good, will he stick around long enough for it to happen?

Painter seems to be the kind of coach that can get you to the promised land......if he has the horses in the stable. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem very talented at bringing in guys in the top 75 on a consistent basis, which are the horses you need to put statistics in your favor. Let's be real, no matter the talent, you need some luck. But, it's a lot easier to be lucky with top notch talent at your disposal. And who would realistically come to Purdue if Painter wasn't here? The answer is nobody that would be a sure fire bet to exceed his performance. Yeah, maybe you hire a great recruiter, but will he be as good of a program builder and talent developer as Painter? Ok, maybe you bring in a guy that is a good program builder and talent developer like Painter, but maybe he ends up never quite achieving high success rates in recruiting either. And if you do hit the lottery with a great coach like a Brad Stevens, who's to say that he doesn't bolt for a Duke/UNC/Kentucky or NBA gig? Bottom line, Painter does a lot of things really really well. With some decent talent on the roster and luck on the court we could make a Final Four. With some luck on the recruiting trail and shooting par on the court, we could make a Final Four. I don't know if you can expect much more without being extremely lucky in your hiring. I'm glad we have Painter and am in for the long haul.

raw

I agree with most of what you said. Although, I think it might be a little premature to say that Brohm gets to a playoff before Painter gets to a Final 4. That's a steep hill to climb, and if Brohm really is that good, will he stick around long enough for it to happen?

Painter seems to be the kind of coach that can get you to the promised land......if he has the horses in the stable. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem very talented at bringing in guys in the top 75 on a consistent basis, which are the horses you need to put statistics in your favor. Let's be real, no matter the talent, you need some luck. But, it's a lot easier to be lucky with top notch talent at your disposal. And who would realistically come to Purdue if Painter wasn't here? The answer is nobody that would be a sure fire bet to exceed his performance. Yeah, maybe you hire a great recruiter, but will he be as good of a program builder and talent developer as Painter? Ok, maybe you bring in a guy that is a good program builder and talent developer like Painter, but maybe he ends up never quite achieving high success rates in recruiting either. And if you do hit the lottery with a great coach like a Brad Stevens, who's to say that he doesn't bolt for a Duke/UNC/Kentucky or NBA gig? Bottom line, Painter does a lot of things really really well. With some decent talent on the roster and luck on the court we could make a Final Four. With some luck on the recruiting trail and shooting par on the court, we could make a Final Four. I don't know if you can expect much more without being extremely lucky in your hiring. I'm glad we have Painter and am in for the long haul.

A great leader is not someone who knows it all, but someone who knows his weaknesses. If you can't recruit the top talents, it's your job to get someone who can.

Have you ever wonder why how some one like him get a girl like her or someone so nondescript become the richest person you have ever known? It's not luck, successful people take calculated risk.

What a waste of bandwidth...

I don’t give a f#*k if you agree with me or not....anyone arguing this fact is uninformed. I see you have a way with people and no doubt win a lot of people over with your cheery outlook and chill demeanor.

I don't post to get approval unlike some on here. I just say it like it is.

Wow. And here I was thinking IU fans were prematurely celebrating.

I like Brohm and I’m sure he will have a lot of success. But he barely made .500 and won a bowl game this season. Painter’s team was top 16 of the entire league last year.

You can believe that Brohm’s future is brighter. That is plausible. But you can’t say anyone who disagrees is uninformed. That is just rude and not true.

Wow. And here I was thinking IU fans were prematurely celebrating.

I like Brohm and I’m sure he will have a lot of success. But he barely made .500 and won a bowl game this season. Painter’s team was top 16 of the entire league last year.

You can believe that Brohm’s future is brighter. That is plausible. But you can’t say anyone who disagrees is uninformed. That is just rude and not true.

well that's the difference/comparison, brohm year 2, painter year 14

after painters 2nd season, I think there was already similar excitement too. which is a positive thing.

well that's the difference/comparison, brohm year 2, painter year 14

after painters 2nd season, I think there was already similar excitement too. which is a positive thing.

Yes, but it was still rude the to look down on those who didn’t believe Painter’s future is brighter than Tiller’s.

I'd like to see Purdue beat Nebraska and UW before I'm willing to predict they will be the BIG 10 Champion and representative in the final 4 of football. I love your optimism though.

What I don't like are those people who are realists being called negative. there is a huge difference in being a negative person and a realist. is it time yet, for me to say I told you so to half of our posters? that's what a negative poster would do. or to point out our last NCAA basketball championship was in 1932?

I'm a brewers fan living in Cardinals country. I know our franchise's entire history. I don't want my nose rubbed in the ground because we've never won a championship. if not for the strike, we would have won a championship in 1983. We were in first place at the time. I know we need 2 starting pitchers who can actually pitch past the 7th inning to have a realistic chance at winning a World series this year.

I consider myself a realist because I look at a team, and know what it will take to win a championship. Which Purdue team will win a championship first? At this time, my money's on the Purdue baseball team being the first and having the best chance.

I don't give a f#*k if you agree with me or not, but I feel like our football team will be in the football playoff w/ Brohm before we make the final 4 w/ Painter (hope I'm wrong).

Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with Painter and went to school when he played. Met my expectation last year with a sweet 16 appearance just like I've predicted before the season. Kinda know what to expect from him, decent recruiter therefore pretty good teams for the most part. Top 3-4 teams in the B1G most years with a sweet 16 every once in a while. Straight up man-to-man defense no matter what, even though an occasional zone can be a monkey wrench if nothing else. Probably top 3-4 coaches in the B1G after Beilein & Izzo (anyone arguing this fact is uninformed), but somehow I don't see him getting to the final 4 in the foreseeable future unless our recruiting picks up. And with Miller now getting most of the top Indiana recruits I'm just not seeing it.

How far our football program will go with Brohm (if we are able to keep him here), it's still to be determined, but It's a amazing what the right coach can possibly do for you...
I don't see a Brohm led PU team in the National Playoff ever.

I don't post to get approval unlike some on here. I just say it like it is.

I’m not one to usually stir the hornets nest...but in my experience when someone says something along those lines...it usually means they don’t care that people think they are an asshole.

I usually live by the idea that when I die, I want people to reflect and think to themselves, ‘damn, he was a good man.’ Don’t really want them to think back about how much of an asshole I was because I liked to ‘tell it like it is.’

Honestly, you take a day when the football program continues to take a step forward and decide to turn around and take a dump on the basketball program...why? I believe that is the reason Lutz was brought in from Creighton. He was a known commodity as a high level recruiter. It’s is infinitely more difficult to recruit for basketball than it is for football as the talent pool is smaller and so is the margin for error.

Sorry...just telling it like it is.

I'd like to see Purdue beat Nebraska and UW before I'm willing to predict they will be the BIG 10 Champion and representative in the final 4 of football. I love your optimism though.

What I don't like are those people who are realists being called negative. there is a huge difference in being a negative person and a realist. is it time yet, for me to say I told you so to half of our posters? that's what a negative poster would do. or to point out our last NCAA basketball championship was in 1932?

I'm a brewers fan living in Cardinals country. I know our franchise's entire history. I don't want my nose rubbed in the ground because we've never won a championship. if not for the strike, we would have won a championship in 1983. We were in first place at the time. I know we need 2 starting pitchers who can actually pitch past the 7th inning to have a realistic chance at winning a World series this year.

I consider myself a realist because I look at a team, and know what it will take to win a championship. Which Purdue team will win a championship first? At this time, my money's on the Purdue baseball team being the first and having the best chance.
A realist would say Purdue has some inherent limitations in winning a national title in basketball but that those limitations aren’t anything that can’t be overcome with the right mix of players and good luck. They would also likely not look for every chance to piss on that program they supposedly support. I’m a realist when it comes to sports because I tend to look at statistical analysis to drive my opinions...but I don’t let that get in the way of me being a fan.

Sorry but the OP was being negative for the simple fact he takes a positive from one (Grant’s commitment) and decides to turn around and piss on the basketball program). You know about 300 or so other basketball programs would totally be willing to trade with Purdue over the last 2-3 years, right?

A realist would say Purdue has some inherent limitations in winning a national title in basketball but that those limitations aren’t anything that can’t be overcome with the right mix of players and good luck. They would also likely not look for every chance to piss on that program they supposedly support. I’m a realist when it comes to sports because I tend to look at statistical analysis to drive my opinions...but I don’t let that get in the way of me being a fan.

Sorry but the OP was being negative for the simple fact he takes a positive from one (Grant’s commitment) and decides to turn around and piss on the basketball program). You know about 300 or so other basketball programs would totally be willing to trade with Purdue over the last 2-3 years, right?

yes. I've never seen so many fans so critical of such a winning program. I realize teams like Duke recruited much higher ranked players than Painter has. I also believe Painter has established a foundation at Purdue that a championship team can be built on. painter has targeted and recruited some of the best basketball players in America. Admittedly, he's come in second or third on most of them. however, the reality is Purdue was in the equation. and I n the future, maybe one or two of those players will choose Purdue over MSU , Duke and UK.

And being a realist, the NCAA tournament has always been about match-ups and a little luck. With a healthy Haas and a healthy Hummell, Purdue's fortunes and history would be a lot different.

I believe Purdue's football team will be much improved. but Purdue's basketball team is nothing to downplay or be ashamed of. and the same goes for Purdue's women's basketball team. I am saddened by how many Purdue fans are not happy about the success our team has generated.

Then again, don't ask me to make a prediction in the middle of Summer when we are not even sure what our starting lineup or rotation will be. and as for football, we seemed to be a different team in the second half of last year. Was it because of Sindelar? or was it because our receivers finally learned how to hold on and catch a dam pass, or our offensive line learned how to pass block?

I keep my expectations realistic. But my hopes and desires are always higher. I'm a track dad. My son runs track - the decathlon. my expectations this year were realistic. he surprised me and exceeded them. that's what I expect from Purdue.

I do worry about people who are overly optimistic and overly pessimistic. Will they have a meltdown if we don't reach their predictions? or will they rationalize and make excuses? I guess in success or failure, we can always blame the coach.

Look at last night's Cav's / Warriors game. An 80% Ft shooter choked and missed a FT that should have won the game. But JR Smith gets the blame.

I don't post to get approval unlike some on here. I just say it like I think it is.
There, I fixed it for you.

You are making a wildly speculative statement and treating it as a fact. You might be correct, but probably not.

Given the perspective of most sports experts this past season, Purdue had a decent chance to make the Final Four. That prediction was highly dependent on (1) everyone staying healthy and (2) the luck of the draw. Painter has at least had a team or two that touched the possible FF capability. Brohm has not.

There is nothing more to say than this, your post is utterly ridiculous.

I try to avoid calling out posts and such anymore because it's fruitless, but in the case of your post I am willing to make an exception. Your post is nothing but an anti-Painter agenda-driven rant with little basis in fact or understanding.

I will close this out by simply saying, you have to be a blast at parties.

I'll be pleased if Brohm can maintain a level of success similar to Pat Fitzgerald. IMO, maintaining reasonable success in football is more important than a one-time trip to the playoff---though I wouldn't kick a playoff appearance to the curb.

And this exposes your IU fandom.

Why not? Brohm is a great coach. He's had amazing results in a short period of time.

What is the matter with you?
If you had one bit of intelligence, you'd get off the IU fandom crap. That left a long time ago, and has been gone long enough it won't come back. IU isn't IU anymore Bubba. And Brohm, while being a good coach, has not proven greatness yet.

When he does, I'll eat a bit of crow, but for now the sauces are in the pantry,. Now do you want to talk about your IU FB coach?

Longevity is the key...CMP had limits in the recruiting war for sure. Brohm has come in with a different administration and might have a longer impact but in a short period of time under that new administration CMP has at least made the list of top 50 guys before not so much.

CMP’s already won a B1G championship. In football, that puts u in the playoff. FF is a different story / comparison. Totally different way to get there. If Purdue football we’re in a 64 team tourney...tough road

CMP’s already won a B1G championship. In football, that puts u in the playoff. FF is a different story / comparison. Totally different way to get there. If Purdue football we’re in a 64 team tourney...tough road
Making a bowl game and getting into the NCAA tournament is very comparable today. Obviously the big difference is the bowl game invitation in football is one game and the level of that game. In basketball a team can win it all by getting in, but not so in football.

In making comparisons, you could say last year Purdue's football team was a bubble team. Like a bubble team, we needed to win our last game against IU to be a .500 team and get an invite to the post season. Unlike basketball, the football team played a team of equal rating. If football was played like basketball, we would have been close to a 10 seed and being one and done.

I'm proud of our football team and it's accomplishments. But there are too many differences in football and basketball to compare the two. It's like saying who is going to win a title first? Our golf team or our baseball team? Rather than comparing, I will say they both have an equal opportunity.

Reactions: SKYDOG and BBG

if not for the strike, we would have won a championship in 1983. We were in first place at the time.

Not to nitpick, Wole, but there was no strike in '83. You may be thinking '81, when there was about a 60-game work stoppage. The Brewers best chance, of course, was '82, and being a fan of the AL, I KNOW they would have won that year if Rollie Fingers was not hurt.

if not for the strike, we would have won a championship in 1983. We were in first place at the time.

Not to nitpick, Wole, but there was no strike in '83. You may be thinking '81, when there was about a 60-game work stoppage. The Brewers best chance, of course, was '82, and being a fan of the AL, I KNOW they would have won that year if Rollie Fingers was not hurt.

81 ?? not 83? That 7th game against the Cards still tears at my heart and my memory. We had the lead, if only we had a relief pitcher who could get some outs. if Rollie had played, the series would have been over in 5. I'm still upset Bud made the brewers shift to the national league, just to make the other owners happy.

81 ?? not 83? That 7th game against the Cards still tears at my heart and my memory. We had the lead, if only we had a relief pitcher who could get some outs. if Rollie had played, the series would have been over in 5. I'm still upset Bud made the brewers shift to the national league, just to make the other owners happy.

I really liked those Brewer teams from the early 80's....loaded with power......Cecil Cooper, Robin Yount, Ben Ogilvie, Gorman Thomas....and the hit machine Paul Molitor. IIRC, they had four players with 100+ RBIs in that '82 season....something like that. Rollie Fingers was the reigning Cy Young award winner and AL MVP.....tough that he was lost for the end of the season.....probably made the difference.

Also, I agree, the Brewers belong in the AL, and as much as I like the Astros.....they belong in the NL.

This is a very emotionally charged posting that lacks logic or data. I hope that ChiTown Boiler uses more critical thinking than that demonstrated here when at work, or in public locations. However to directly paraphrase him, "I don't a f#'k if he does or not".

Just poking the bear...

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Once Archie goes down in flames in a few years due to some currently unforeseen reason, Purdue's recruiting will pickup just enough to get us to a final 4. I am betting sooner than our football team gets to the playoff. If Nojel has a Carsen type leap from his freshman campaign to his sophomore campaign, I think next season could be special. Final 4? Never say never!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
PS: I like the way our football team is trending, Brohm is doing an awesome job so far, but I don't see us over taking Ohio State and getting to the playoff for at least 6 or 7 years if ever.

Reactions: spradecki
PS: I like the way our football team is trending, Brohm is doing an awesome job so far, but I don't see us over taking Ohio State and getting to the playoff for at least 6 or 7 years if ever.

i hope he's successful.
the same people wanting to give him a lifetime contract will be calling for him to be fired if he doesn't win the B1G in 7 years and every other year after that :-(

Wow. You're so brave for saying that. Go get a fn Congressional Medal of Honor.

Good God this is a horrible, horrible post. I mean the whole zone mention just immediately negates anything else you have to say, let alone the smattering of nonsense when comparing basketball to football.

I am literally dumbfounded at how stupid this post is. This is one of those posts that just embarrass a fanbase as a whole because it's such a failure.

I could see us competing against Wisconsin in a couple of years. If we beat them and get to the title game against OSU and with a couple of creative plays by Brohm & company we could very well comes out on top. With how strong the B1G conference is and continues to be, we could very well be in the playoff when not if we win the conference.

Good God this is a horrible, horrible post. I mean the whole zone mention just immediately negates anything else you have to say, let alone the smattering of nonsense when comparing basketball to football.

I am literally dumbfounded at how stupid this post is. This is one of those posts that just embarrass a fanbase as a whole because it's such a failure.

Like I've said, I'm okay with Painter for now, but my feeling is he does not recruit good enough to get us to the final 4 especially now with Miller at IU pulling most of Indiana's top talents. BTW, banking scholarships and not using all your scholly is stupid.

But I'll still take this a the best compliment someone could get coming from the biggest CMP cheerleader on this board and possibly the world. If he craps out a log you probably still think it's a sandwich, now put down those pom pom and go get my coffee b!tch, meanwhile I'll work on making the world a better place and being the next billionaire.

Reactions: nagemj02
But I'll still take this a the best compliment someone could get coming from the biggest CMP cheerleader on this board and possibly the world. If he craps out a log you probably still think it's a sandwich, now put down those pom pom and go get my coffee b!tch, meanwhile I'll work on making the world a better place and being the next billionaire.
You need to get a grip on your emotions. Right from the start of this thread, all the way to this "gem", you have demonstrated poor thinking, emotional-based loser-mentality, and a general disregard of the rest of us.

Let's start with your opening statement at the start of this thread, "I don't give a f#*k if you agree with me or not...". Having said that, I really did not expect to see you post here again. However you return with calling people names who offer a different opinion, so either you DO GIVE a F@#K and lied in your first post, or you are lying now? Which lie fits you best?

Next billionaire? Not with your emotional and mental defects! Nobody would trust you with 50 cents.

Frankly, after this mess, I don't think you should post here anymore. I don't care if your opinions differ. I just don't want to read your lies and emotional outbursts when I want to see about Purdue's Basketball team.

You need to get a grip on your emotions. Right from the start of this thread, all the way to this "gem", you have demonstrated poor thinking, emotional-based loser-mentality, and a general disregard of the rest of us.

Let's start with your opening statement at the start of this thread, "I don't give a f#*k if you agree with me or not...". Having said that, I really did not expect to see you post here again. However you return with calling people names who offer a different opinion, so either you DO GIVE a F@#K and lied in your first post, or you are lying now? Which lie fits you best?

Next billionaire? Not with your emotional and mental defects! Nobody would trust you with 50 cents.

Frankly, after this mess, I don't think you should post here anymore. I don't care if your opinions differ. I just don't want to read your lies and emotional outbursts when I want to see about Purdue's Basketball team.
Who cares if you don't want to see him post? Don't read it. All opinions are welcome. And quite frankly he made some good points. Main one being painter doesn't recruit at a high enough level to win a championship. Every reasonable poster acknowledges painter is a decent coach and if he was able to land better talent could probably get us over the s16 ceiling.

Now, inb4 your holier then thou tirade and how painter can win a national championship with a team primarily composed of 3 stars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT