ADVERTISEMENT

I'm getting my hopes up

Apr 12, 2012
St. Louis
www.actionflow.net
This is a little scary, because I'm starting to get my hopes up for this team. It will be good to play Virginia Tech. If we beat them, I'll be in dangerous territory and will start to become open to some serious disappointment. Because I'm really liking this team. These are the reasons:

Carsen: No words from me needed
Nojel: With him, we can effectively cancel out their best player under 6'7" and then go 4 and 4 with the remaining players. Also, his rebounding & effort are great (I just wish his free-throw form were better)
Haarms: To go alone with Nojel, an imposing defensive force. In addition, his offense is much improve and he's made some great passes. His free throws look good also

I haven't seen the other Big Ten teams this year, so I can't really say. But don't you think that Haarms and Eastern might end up as the top two vote-getters for BIG 10 defensive player of the year?

Cline: Hitting threes and driving to the basket and making good passes
Eiffert: Solid rebounder and defense. Not sure about 3-pointers. He was good early, but not so good lately
Wheeler: Love his athleticism and three-point shooting. Imagine if he catches the Rafael/Mathias/Eastern bug and decides to become an elite defender. Has the potential to be one more in a long line of defensive stoppers at Purdue.
Boudreaux: Great rebounder, good shooter. Keeping guys honest from 3 points. And playing good defense also
Hunter: Super quick. Nicely aggressive with a pretty shot. He's hitting his free throws and making good decisions
Stefanovic: Hit two threes against Davidson and should only get better. He dives on the floor and seems to have a great IQ. Matthias II
Williams: Super-quick back pivot move and works hard under the boards. Needs to learn to finish around the basket, but should be good down the road
Dowouna: Super athlete with a free year to develop in practice with these guys every day.

Just so much to like. Another year of a team where every single player has something to offer and the team just seems to have great chemistry. A team that you love to root for. I mean, this team might be better than last year.

Like I said, I'm opening myself up for the potential of a painful letdown. It will be good to play Virginia Tech and maybe I'll come back down to earth. But right now, it's fun to watch these guys.

V tech will be a good early test and a dose of reality. V tech represents a quality team and a different style of team. Ball st was beaten handedly by Alabama which is not a good team. Purdue usually plays better in tourneys after their opening round games. The players, especially Haarms should be well rested.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
This is a little scary, because I'm starting to get my hopes up for this team. It will be good to play Virginia Tech. If we beat them, I'll be in dangerous territory and will start to become open to some serious disappointment. Because I'm really liking this team. These are the reasons:

Carsen: No words from me needed
Nojel: With him, we can effectively cancel out their best player under 6'7" and then go 4 and 4 with the remaining players. Also, his rebounding & effort are great (I just wish his free-throw form were better)
Haarms: To go alone with Nojel, an imposing defensive force. In addition, his offense is much improve and he's made some great passes. His free throws look good also

I haven't seen the other Big Ten teams this year, so I can't really say. But don't you think that Haarms and Eastern might end up as the top two vote-getters for BIG 10 defensive player of the year?

Cline: Hitting threes and driving to the basket and making good passes
Eiffert: Solid rebounder and defense. Not sure about 3-pointers. He was good early, but not so good lately
Wheeler: Love his athleticism and three-point shooting. Imagine if he catches the Rafael/Mathias/Eastern bug and decides to become an elite defender. Has the potential to be one more in a long line of defensive stoppers at Purdue.
Boudreaux: Great rebounder, good shooter. Keeping guys honest from 3 points. And playing good defense also
Hunter: Super quick. Nicely aggressive with a pretty shot. He's hitting his free throws and making good decisions
Stefanovic: Hit two threes against Davidson and should only get better. He dives on the floor and seems to have a great IQ. Matthias II
Williams: Super-quick back pivot move and works hard under the boards. Needs to learn to finish around the basket, but should be good down the road
Dowouna: Super athlete with a free year to develop in practice with these guys every day.

Just so much to like. Another year of a team where every single player has something to offer and the team just seems to have great chemistry. A team that you love to root for. I mean, this team might be better than last year.

Like I said, I'm opening myself up for the potential of a painful letdown. It will be good to play Virginia Tech and maybe I'll come back down to earth. But right now, it's fun to watch these guys.

My fear is that we live and die by the 3.

My fear is that we live and die by the 3.
This is ok if we crash the boards like last night. This is not ok if we just watch the shot after releasing it. That was a huge problem in the past. I used to cringe every time Swanigan shot a three because when he missed, I knew there would be nobody to grab the rebound as they all stood around and watched. Hopefully we learned from the past

Nojel has been tremendous this far defensively and very opportunistic on offense. With that, I’m concerned teams will start to try to take the ball to him early in games to get him in early foul trouble. That may not be easy for them but he is a difference maker for us on the defensive side of the ball and we would suffer greatly without him on the floor for major minutes.

Nojel has been tremendous this far defensively and very opportunistic on offense. With that, I’m concerned teams will start to try to take the ball to him early in games to get him in early foul trouble. That may not be easy for them but he is a difference maker for us on the defensive side of the ball and we would suffer greatly without him on the floor for major minutes.

3 shots yesterday not sure opportunistic on offense.
He's been solid for sure after first game but we really will need more offensive output from him. Cline's game more assertive for sure but not great shooting night and he also struggling mightily against Ball State. B10 schedule isn't going be easier for him.

CE has a tough day and we struggle no doubt, it's reality. This team will have valleys for sure so need tamper expectations. Come March they will be a team high seeds don't want see in their bracket for sure.

Reactions: rjmpu82
3 shots yesterday not sure opportunistic on offense.
He's been solid for sure after first game but we really will need more offensive output from him. Cline's game more assertive for sure but not great shooting night and he also struggling mightily against Ball State. B10 schedule isn't going be easier for him.

CE has a tough day and we struggle no doubt, it's reality. This team will have valleys for sure so need tamper expectations. Come March they will be a team high seeds don't want see in their bracket for sure.
Pretty objective review. Well done. NE does to be more of an offensive threat, he does't need to be great but at least respected. If or when Carsen has an off game, we will struggle. Grady is a great example of a Purdue blue collar guy, but I think eventually Wheeler steps in. Will be interesting to see how Cline does against better competition, I have been pleasantly surprised with him so far. It will be a roller coaster season with a few WTH games and a few highs as well. Good luck Boilers!!!!

Reactions: Boilpotato
Pretty objective review. Well done. NE does to be more of an offensive threat, he does't need to be great but at least respected. If or when Carsen has an off game, we will struggle. Grady is a great example of a Purdue blue collar guy, but I think eventually Wheeler steps in. Will be interesting to see how Cline does against better competition, I have been pleasantly surprised with him so far. It will be a roller coaster season with a few WTH games and a few highs as well. Good luck Boilers!!!!
NE just needs to hit his free throws and I’ll be happy. Need him in there at the end of close games.

I really want to see us make EB our #2 threat on offensive end. Outside - inside rather than two outside primary options I’ve seen so far (Edwards always #1 and so far Cline #2)

Reactions: hoosierdog1
NE just needs to hit his free throws and I’ll be happy. Need him in there at the end of close games.
He’s working on them I can tell u that but I agree he does it’s important for him and the team he makes them bcuz he will be fouled a lot and he has to be reliable to make most of them in crucial situations. Big game tonight I believe he gonna do well.

I really want to see us make EB our #2 threat on offensive end. Outside - inside rather than two outside primary options I’ve seen so far (Edwards always #1 and so far Cline #2)
I believe we have to spread the offense around as well if the shots don’t fall in some games hope we have other plays to get other players involved to off set that. I’ve been watching a lot of basketball many of these teams we about to play are more athletic than the teams we have played and these coaches will be more prepared to try to contain the 3 point shooters we have. Couple ball screens for nojel so he can get going Evan son pick in pop situations for him. I like Haarms using his size in the post will be hard to guard. We have other players who can score just gotta spread it around at some point

Just get carsen the ball with 1 minutes to play. Cline or EB as plan B. Can always play offense/ defense with Nojel and put the better shooter stefanovich or hunter in. I couldn't tell you who shoots the free throws better.

Was having a moment to watching the UCF game and thought to myself...Tacko Fall moves so well for 7’6...and then I remembers Purdue was a finalist for him. It then hit me had he come to Purdue, CMP could have had a lineup that had a 7’3 power forward and a 7’6 center....that would have been absolutely insane.

This team is very exciting and is truly more of a reflection of a classic Keasy team. A single strong scorer with a pitbull defensive mentality. The tenacity they have shown will win them multiple games this season bc other teams will fold when Purdue turns up the pressure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT