ADVERTISEMENT

I'm conflicted

Schmedly_Whiplash

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2022
As much as I want a national championship and a season long #1 kind of year I don't love a ball dominating player typically. We were so 1 dimensional once our shooting went south. And that after Jadens turn as ' end of game savior, here's the ball '.
That said, Zach is clearly as un-selfish a star player as there ever has been.
Still, as a life long lover of Team and teams that become more than the sum of their parts this is foreign land to me.
I"m very intrigued by what TKR and Caleb Furst bring to the table playing together. And the first 1/2 season they played VERY well together and looked like real threats to damage other teams via the #2 unit. Tapered off as they used TKR as Edey Lite and had Caleb out shooting 3's.
I think if Zack goes and they refine some roles this Can be a very good and interesting team that could be very hard to defend.
In my driveway daydream team builds I always loved teams with 2 tall, talented forwards on their front line. (we'd typically go 6'8-6'10" across the front line, with Me in the Larry Bird role of 6'9" white guy that can't jump but deadly jumper! (didn't you add a foot to your height in your daydream shooting?)
Even without a real center (probably because in the Geno days we often had NO center to speak of, always forwards playing 5). Loved the Bulls with Bob (Butterbean) Love and Chet Walker. Remember N.Carolina with droves of big, athletic forwards running the court back when.
Picture an up tempo team playing about x3 vs last year. Caleb is a very good passer that could thrive in a high post role I believe. TKR needs to be able to shoot midrange jumpers and not be stuck with his back to the basket.
With the deep bench we "should" have, we could run all day.
Defensively it gets tougher. Zack erases a LOT of blow bys against our perimeter defenders. Some of that by design, some because they weren't great staying in front of people. Easier said than done but I think with a necessary shift in philosophy and improved strength they can be much better and make it work. Lance could be a big factor in that too.
Mostly I hope he comes back and we kick the leagues ass again. But it could be interesting even without him.

As much as I want a national championship and a season long #1 kind of year I don't love a ball dominating player typically. We were so 1 dimensional once our shooting went south. And that after Jadens turn as ' end of game savior, here's the ball '.
That said, Zach is clearly as un-selfish a star player as there ever has been.
Still, as a life long lover of Team and teams that become more than the sum of their parts this is foreign land to me.
I"m very intrigued by what TKR and Caleb Furst bring to the table playing together. And the first 1/2 season they played VERY well together and looked like real threats to damage other teams via the #2 unit. Tapered off as they used TKR as Edey Lite and had Caleb out shooting 3's.
I think if Zack goes and they refine some roles this Can be a very good and interesting team that could be very hard to defend.
In my driveway daydream team builds I always loved teams with 2 tall, talented forwards on their front line. (we'd typically go 6'8-6'10" across the front line, with Me in the Larry Bird role of 6'9" white guy that can't jump but deadly jumper! (didn't you add a foot to your height in your daydream shooting?)
Even without a real center (probably because in the Geno days we often had NO center to speak of, always forwards playing 5). Loved the Bulls with Bob (Butterbean) Love and Chet Walker. Remember N.Carolina with droves of big, athletic forwards running the court back when.
Picture an up tempo team playing about x3 vs last year. Caleb is a very good passer that could thrive in a high post role I believe. TKR needs to be able to shoot midrange jumpers and not be stuck with his back to the basket.
With the deep bench we "should" have, we could run all day.
Defensively it gets tougher. Zack erases a LOT of blow bys against our perimeter defenders. Some of that by design, some because they weren't great staying in front of people. Easier said than done but I think with a necessary shift in philosophy and improved strength they can be much better and make it work. Lance could be a big factor in that too.
Mostly I hope he comes back and we kick the leagues ass again. But it could be interesting even without him.
got lost halfway through. the writing almost impossible to comprehend. will be the unusual day where I will have to take a couple aspirin before I start drinking.

If Edey chooses to stay in the NBA draft, I will cheer him on and embrace the smaller lineups that Painter puts on the floor, but I can’t buy for a minute that Purdue will be nearly as good without Edey. Without Edey last season, Purdue would have been no better than a middle of the pack Big Ten team. I do think that Purdue can be good next season without Edey, but will be much better with him. The struggles with shooting and turnovers were not caused by Edey. He makes defenses adjust which takes pressure off of everyone else.

I do think that Painter will be able to use Edey a little differently this season as the rest of the roster is upgraded and more experienced. Having a sophomore backcourt instead of a freshman backcourt should make a big difference.

If our shooters could actually make a few of their shots, we would not have been a one player team. Or if painter changed his offensive philosophy and reduced his love for a perimeter game, And went for a press on defense and higher percentage inside shots, Edey wouldn’t be relied on so much.

Reactions: Murv 3
If Edey chooses to stay in the NBA draft, I will cheer him on and embrace the smaller lineups that Painter puts on the floor, but I can’t buy for a minute that Purdue will be nearly as good without Edey. Without Edey last season, Purdue would have been no better than a middle of the pack Big Ten team. I do think that Purdue can be good next season without Edey, but will be much better with him. The struggles with shooting and turnovers were not caused by Edey. He makes defenses adjust which takes pressure off of everyone else.

I do think that Painter will be able to use Edey a little differently this season as the rest of the roster is upgraded and more experienced. Having a sophomore backcourt instead of a freshman backcourt should make a big difference.

Plus......there's no way Purdue could possibly turn it over and shoot as poorly as last year's deer-in-the-headlights performance down the stretch......haha.

There you have it folks.....TEX is officially on the clock for this year's upcoming jinx/blame game.

trading-places-buy.gif

I think Edey is gone...There was an espn write up on how much he shocked people when he held his pro day....I can't imagine no one taking a chance with him at the end of the first or start of the second round...He tested much more athletic than people thought he was....Put him in the G league for a year...You can't teach size but you can work on shooting

Reactions: bonefish1
I think Edey is gone...There was an espn write up on how much he shocked people when he held his pro day....I can't imagine no one taking a chance with him at the end of the first or start of the second round...He tested much more athletic than people thought he was....Put him in the G league for a year...You can't teach size but you can work on shooting
why play in the g league for way less money than Purdue

Reactions: northside100
I would say it may solidify that he would get drafted. Nbadraft.net still has him going 48th. Doubtful that gets a guaranteed contract.

By all accounts, he would make much more in college next year vs. Going pro. I think the much harder decision would be if someone says if your there at #__, we will draft you and give you a guaranteed contract. Even if he could make more in college next year vs the first year of the contract, the overall guaranteed money would probably be about the same. I think that would be very tempting, especially if he's one to bet on himself.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
He will make more money at Purdue. I’d be shocked if he didn’t come back.

I never said nearly as good. They are a dominating top 3 team all year with Zack.
They would (likely imo) still be a top 20 team without him.

I never said nearly as good. They are a dominating top 3 team all year with Zack.
They would (likely imo) still be a top 20 team without him.
Not sure about dominating. They'd be a Top 5 preseason team, but would need to shoot a lot better because they're going to see the same defense attacking our guards or forcing them to create their own shot.

I think there's a very good chance of the Pacers taking him if they don't trade a bunch of their 5 picks to move up or more apparently, trade for an established star. #7, 26, 29, and 32. !!
Or someone might take him before the late 1st round now.
A stud 4 at #7 or trade that and another first or 2 for an established stud and you could still take Zack at 32 (maybe). They have NO backup center on the roster at this point and played 4's as the backup. Very small and very weak up front it could be a very good landing spot for him imo.
I'm guessing there's a lot more interested teams in the guy that showed much more athleticism than most (iu fans) considered possible. Add on that he MAY become an unstoppable offensive force down the road and I think it's pretty clear now that he's as good as gone. :(
Happy as heck for him and mom though.
Would love to see him on the Pacers and I think it would help their lagging fan interest.

Reactions: DrEss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT