ADVERTISEMENT

I'm calling it now...Purdue vs. Florida State in a bowl game.

FSU has got to drop out of the Top 25, correct? I mean, how can any voter justify giving them votes?

Same goes for Wisky volleyball. They're 0-3 after starting the season ranked #3. Granted, all 3 losses have come to great teams, but still.....0-3?

We will know more after the ND game. ISU, and games like it, tell you nothing and is why IU fails year after year in the B10.

If we play ND tough or win, then we are headed in the right direction and player improvements and play making are evident.

If we get blown out by ND, then we are in for a long season and more prayer recruitment is needed.

Things I want to see in the ND game:
  • WR getting separation and open
  • Online pass blocks and opens run holes
  • Defense can stop a quality Offense
This will be all we need to see. If these happen then we are on our way to a 6+ win season.

Reactions: Schnelk and BBG
We will know more after the ND game. ISU, and games like it, tell you nothing and is why IU fails year after year in the B10.

If we play ND tough or win, then we are headed in the right direction and player improvements and play making are evident.

If we get blown out by ND, then we are in for a long season and more prayer recruitment is needed.

This will be all we need to see. If these happen then we are on our way to a 6+ win season.
I want to see the D play disciplined, assignment football and not constantly lose track of who actually has the ball on the RPO like they did against Cuse, giving up 100 yards rushing to the QB. Leonard is very similar to that Cuse QB.

I agree with this to an extent. I get that ND won in an extremely hostile environment and one we would like lose in, but to me they needed A&M to "help" them out to win. Basically as I said in another thread ND looks over rated as usual.. good sure, but beatable .

If we get curb stomped at home, then there is legit cause for concern. Especially if the boneheaded penalties continue.

Reactions: Schnelk
I agree with this to an extent. I get that ND won in an extremely hostile environment and one we would like lose in, but to me they needed A&M to "help" them out to win. Basically as I said in another thread ND looks over rated as usual.. good sure, but beatable .

If we get curb stomped at home, then there is legit cause for concern. Especially if the boneheaded penalties continue.
And defensive assignments continue to be blown.

With our defense, I’m not even sure our scheme accounts for the QB except for pass rush.

Would be nice to take that step forward and see that for once under this coach.

Reactions: Schnelk and BBG

Not sure how you can say ND looked over rated? They won against a top 20 SEC team on the road in arguably, one of the tougher road environments in the country. It was possibly the best win of Week 1 of college football.

Not sure how you can say ND looked over rated? They won against a top 20 SEC team on the road in arguably, one of the tougher road environments in the country. It was possibly the best win of Week 1 of college football.
The Texas A&M quarterback was largely incompetent. I think it had more to do with him than the Notre Dame defense, but that is probably up for debate. I don't know how football factories like A&M can have a starting quarterback who is that bad, but it seems that's the case.

Notre Dame was pretty awful on offense. They did run the ball well at times and Leonard got out and got some chunk yardage on draws and scrambles. And their RB broke off one long one. But outside of that, what did they really do?

Reactions: pboiler18 and BBG
The Texas A&M quarterback was largely incompetent. I think it had more to do with him than the Notre Dame defense, but that is probably up for debate. I don't know how football factories like A&M can have a starting quarterback who is that bad, but it seems that's the case.

Notre Dame was pretty awful on offense. They did run the ball well at times and Leonard got out and got some chunk yardage on draws and scrambles. And their RB broke off one long one. But outside of that, what did they really do?
Exactly. My comment in no way is meant to say we beat them (we could sure) but they were gifted a lot and the offense was pretty anemic.

Truth will pan out as the season unfolds.. A&M could end up being awful.. who knows.. but that is why the games are played.

lol we aren’t in for a long season if we get blown out by ND. ND has a lot more talent than Purdue.

@BoilerN exhibit A. If we lose convincingly to ND this guy is going to be acting like Jeff brohm got fired by Purdue

lol we aren’t in for a long season if we get blown out by ND. ND has a lot more talent than Purdue.

@BoilerN exhibit A. If we lose convincingly to ND this guy is going to be acting like Jeff brohm got fired by Purdue
I still dont get the metaphor.

I do think ND is a litmus test of sorts. Can our CBs keep their WRs (who I don’t think are anything special) from running free and getting chunk plays? How do we handle a running QB? Can we reliably stop a good RB? On offense, they have elements of what we’ll see all year. Can we focus on stopping a good RB and not let an average QB beat you with the run or deep throws?

If it’s more of the same from what we saw last year…yeah it could be a long year.

I don’t expect it to be all perfect or fixed immediately but I do expect to see progress and in game adjustments vs ND.

Reactions: z_one

I do think ND is a litmus test of sorts. Can our CBs keep their WRs (who I don’t think are anything special) from running free and getting chunk plays? How do we handle a running QB? Can we reliably stop a good RB? On offense, they have elements of what we’ll see all year. Can we focus on stopping a good RB and not let an average QB beat you with the run or deep throws?

If it’s more of the same from what we saw last year…yeah it could be a long year.

I don’t expect it to be all perfect or fixed immediately but I do expect to see progress and in game adjustments vs ND.
We can lose by 50 to ND and have a fine season.

The metaphor? If ND, who constantly has top 20 recruiting classes beats us convincingly, here will come all of the “I miss Jeff brohm/maybe Walters Is Darrell hazell” posts

I am not at all worried about their WR’s being free. Their QB actually has to throw them the ball. He’s not a good passer.

I’ve said it for a week. ND isn’t that good.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I am not at all worried about their WR’s being free. Their QB actually has to throw them the ball. He’s not a good passer.

I would not disagree. If we lose this game we’ve got some problems.

NDs OL looked bad today. NILs DL looks semi talented but we should be better there. Leonard didn’t have much time to throw for most of the day.

Based off of what we saw out of ND yesterday, if they curb stomp us like that... we got some major problems.
No. Different matchups. Unless you think that every team Oregon faces in conference will do as well as Idaho and Boise state has.

Why did Purdue lose to Toledo in tillers first game and then beat ND? How are you going to spread out a team that’s quicker and smaller than you?

These g5 teams are built to do well in one or two games like this, but wouldn’t last a month in p4.

No. Different matchups. Unless you think that every team Oregon faces in conference will do as well as Idaho and Boise state has.

Why did Purdue lose to Toledo in tillers first game and then beat ND? How are you going to spread out a team that’s quicker and smaller than you?

These g5 teams are built to do well in one or two games like this, but wouldn’t last a month in p4.
ND got exposed yesterday, if they curb stomp us by 50 then we have issues. It's that simple.

NDs OL looked bad today. NILs DL looks semi talented but we should be better there. Leonard didn’t have much time to throw for most of the day.
ND looked like Miami when they came out vs Ohio state in the 03 rose bowl like they could win just for being there. I hope teams come into Ross Ade like that

ND got exposed yesterday, if they curb stomp us by 50 then we have issues. It's that simple.
Ah yes, the perfect loop. If people who said ND wasn’t good yesterday end up being wrong, they can just blame Walters.

Maybe if you do, you can frantically launch a fire Walters campaign in hopes that it works before he has a chance to play Oregon state and Illinois lol

A Notre dame fan just told me it will be a different game “we couldn’t get Notre dame in a phone booth. You guys don’t try to do what they do. Maybe under tiller. Now you just try to be as big and fast as us, you’re just not as good at it.”

Ah yes, the perfect loop. If people who said ND wasn’t good yesterday end up being wrong, they can just blame Walters.

Maybe if you do, you can frantically launch a fire Walters campaign in hopes that it works before he has a chance to play Oregon state and Illinois lol

A Notre dame fan just told me it will be a different game “we couldn’t get Notre dame in a phone booth. You guys don’t try to do what they do. Maybe under tiller. Now you just try to be as big and fast as us, you’re just not as good at it.”
ND wasn’t really good either of their games tho. Not basing it off of 1 game but 2 that I watched about 85% of. They don’t protect the QB well. They didn’t run the ball well yesterday either…and really didn’t vs TAMU outside of the last 6-8 minutes…but that was vs TAMU. They looked worse vs NIL.

I think there is isn’t the talent gap here that this mythical ND fan would want you to believe. If NIL pushed them around, we should too on the DL. If they couldn’t protect Leonard they likely won’t vs us either.

NIL did a very good job accounting for Leonard on the QB run a lot and I’m still not confident we can.

That said, we are FAR more talented on offense than either of those teams. Card will be the best QB they’ve seen. NIL had a good RB but we have a good 3 headed monster there. From a limited view I’d take Edrine over any of NDs WRs at NILs WRs. That Beaux Collin’s kid that transferred in from Clemson does not seem to live up to the hype.

If we lose on Saturday it’s because we were not prepared and they exploited our weaknesses…not because they are vastly more talented. Teams that lose to THAT NIL team are not that talented.

Reactions: BBG

their starting Center is someone we wanted really bad

a scenario I could see happening is our D doing well vs Leonard in the first half, then in the 2nd half they make a change and the 2nd string guy pulls out the win.

Wasn't even remotely suggesting.. well.. ANY of this but way to jump right off in to the deep end. One can think we have problems and not suggest CRW be fired as the two are not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler

NDs QB is not good. No defense, especially one coached by a defensive guru, should give up 35-40 points to Riley Leonard.

For those predicting any bowl game appearance, I encourage you to open your eyes and do some research first! The BIG 10 added 4 teams. With the likelihood they will all win at least 6 games. Then look at what Bowl games the BIG 10 is affiliated with. And then look at the BIG 10 philosophy of not sending a team to the same bowl game two years in a row. If Purdue does go to a Bowl game, it will probably do so with a 6-6 record, and Purdue will likely be the 8th - 10th best team BIG10 selected. That would NOT be the GATOR BOWL. . That would be the pinstripe or that bowling ally bowl or that little pizza bowl at best! Scoring a lot of points against Indiana st last week is as meaningful and predictive of our future as IU’s score this week!

ND wasn’t really good either of their games tho. Not basing it off of 1 game but 2 that I watched about 85% of. They don’t protect the QB well. They didn’t run the ball well yesterday either…and really didn’t vs TAMU outside of the last 6-8 minutes…but that was vs TAMU. They looked worse vs NIL.

I think there is isn’t the talent gap here that this mythical ND fan would want you to believe. If NIL pushed them around, we should too on the DL. If they couldn’t protect Leonard they likely won’t vs us either.

NIL did a very good job accounting for Leonard on the QB run a lot and I’m still not confident we can.

That said, we are FAR more talented on offense than either of those teams. Card will be the best QB they’ve seen. NIL had a good RB but we have a good 3 headed monster there. From a limited view I’d take Edrine over any of NDs WRs at NILs WRs. That Beaux Collin’s kid that transferred in from Clemson does not seem to live up to the hype.

If we lose on Saturday it’s because we were not prepared and they exploited our weaknesses…not because they are vastly more talented. Teams that lose to THAT NIL team are not that talented.
No. NIU and teams like that don’t get that one win early on by pushing a team around.

They have shorter faster DL who get under big linemen. Those big linemen need to be that big because they have to survive a meat grinder of a season that NIU, Boise State and bowling green don’t.

NIU is smaller and quicker. They cover ground well. But they would be decimated by injury if they played even two more big teams after this week.

Oregons showing against Boise state yesterday doesn’t mean that the 7th best team in the big would have an easy time with them.

Joe tiller said “we can’t win a battle in a phone booth, so we don’t try” or something like that. Notre dame can get Purdue in a phone booth.

That said, Notre dame really had a lot of guys who just looked like they didn’t give a shit. If they do that coming to Purdue, they will lose.

At some point, ND will realize they will have to give up their independent status and actually join a conference if they want a chance at competing for another national championship. Teams like Alabama and Georgia and OSU know all they have to do is win their conference championship and they will receive an automatic bid to the championship game play-offs. An independent team will need to go undefeated to ensure they receive an invite to the championship playoffs. Sure, it’s not required to go undefeated, but look at the recent past. When was the last time Notre Dame competed for a national championship?

For those predicting any bowl game appearance, I encourage you to open your eyes and do some research first! The BIG 10 added 4 teams. With the likelihood they will all win at least 6 games. Then look at what Bowl games the BIG 10 is affiliated with. And then look at the BIG 10 philosophy of not sending a team to the same bowl game two years in a row. If Purdue does go to a Bowl game, it will probably do so with a 6-6 record, and Purdue will likely be the 8th - 10th best team BIG10 selected. That would NOT be the GATOR BOWL. . That would be the pinstripe or that bowling ally bowl or that little pizza bowl at best! Scoring a lot of points against Indiana st last week is as meaningful and predictive of our future as IU’s score this week!
If you think ucla is going to a bowl, I want some of what you are smoking

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT