ADVERTISEMENT

I'll say it...

Not a bad thing. Football can be a bigger revenue generator for athletic programs and to me the gameday experience is better and more exciting.

Reactions: pboiler18
I don't know about that. Part of the hype is due to lower expectations. The trajectory is good, but football has a long ways to go before it overshadows basketball.

And I'm sure in time if success continues we'll get spoiled and people will complain about not beating the big boys enough.

In the meantime let's just enjoy the hell out of winning seasons, bowl games, improved recruiting, beating of our rivals, and seeing Ross-Ade more filled than empty.

Between 1963 and 1968, while a student at Purdue, we had some great football teams. The last five years we never lost more than two games. Our 1965 team would have gone to the Rose Bowl except for the worst pass interference call in the history of Division 1 football against Michigan State. In 1967 we had the best team in the country, but we lost two games we should have easily won (it’s a long story). The excitement on campus was palpable every summer and fall. Mollenkopf was HATED by the fans and the student body until 1965, but he was a far more successful coach than Joe Tiller. I should know, as I saw each of their home games while they were coaching. Purdue can indeed compete for a national championship in college football.

Purdue was a football school from 1997-2007 and hopefully we can become both a football and hoops school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT