ADVERTISEMENT

If we were going to make this the Big Twenty, who would be the 4 other additions?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
We are moving to super conferences. With the additions USC and UCLA, we are at 16. If we wanted to make the Big Ten the Big Twenty, what 4 teams would we want to add?

I think Notre Dame would be at the top of the list. There are in the Midwest, but they have a national following (including IU football fans). Question is whether they would choose (be given enough money) to leave their independent status or not.

Clemson would be a nice addition for football, not obviously not on the basketball side. However, football brings in the biggest revenue anyway.

Do you add someone between USC and UCLA, like a Colorado, Utah or Arizona?

What would your picks be for the next 4 additions, if we went to 20?

We are moving to super conferences. With the additions USC and UCLA, we are at 16. If we wanted to make the Big Ten the Big Twenty, what 4 teams would we want to add?

I think Notre Dame would be at the top of the list. There are in the Midwest, but they have a national following (including IU football fans). Question is whether they would choose (be given enough money) to leave their independent status or not.

Clemson would be a nice addition for football, not obviously not on the basketball side. However, football brings in the biggest revenue anyway.

If it is going to happen, I want it to happen without Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is obvious. Georgia Tech for the Atlanta media market. Oregon for Nike. UNC because I live nearby and would get to see Purdue play.

But this is all ridiculous.

Logically it would seem to add schools from the west, so I could see Stanford and cal being two choices. For selfish reasons I wouldn't mind Utah and Colorado being the others. In theory academics are supposed to be a Big Ten consideration but who the hell knows anymore. The PAC-whatever is already wounded at this point, may as well kill them off by grabbing a few more.

Regardless I agree with others here, I hate the whole idea of the changes of the last couple of years.

Reactions: SKYDOG and DAG10
I really don't see 3 schools from the same state, esp a smallish state like IN. That goes against the money grab mentality that is driving all of this.

When this thing finally goes off the rails and expands beyond 20 to create a premier super-conference, I think at that point ND will be added to the pile and there will be a separation of the athletics and academics, whereby the Big Ten will remain as an academic consortium only, and the athletic power houses will band together without the likes of Purdue, Northwestern, etc.

Oregon, Washington, ND are the no brainers at this point, maybe UNC after that. I like the idea of Arizona, Utah, and Colorado strictly from a land bridge perspective having all schools connected. No matter what, I don't think anyone can predict how this will all shake out. I've heard people say the NFL model could be on the way, with NFC and AFC.

At this point, we are lucky to already be in the Big Ten. We won't be left behind, at least for now.

Reactions: purduepat1969

Dang you, KB! I was gonna post the "who's next" thread!!! :p The article on the front about the coaches says FSU has already reached out. ND then gets a bunch of rivalries built in and can still schedule the service academies (and BU every now and again).

I really don't see 3 schools from the same state, esp a smallish state like IN. That goes against the money grab mentality that is driving all of this.

When this thing finally goes off the rails and expands beyond 20 to create a premier super-conference, I think at that point ND will be added to the pile and there will be a separation of the athletics and academics, whereby the Big Ten will remain as an academic consortium only, and the athletic power houses will band together without the likes of Purdue, Northwestern, etc.
ND would bring a big bump for the next TV contract, whether they are located in Indiana or Timbuktu.

Notre dame is the obvious add. they will join for the money.

I stanford and cal. Oregon has the world's greatest track stadium.

UNC and Duke are voicing concerns that BIG 10 teams make a lot more than ACC teams.

let's state the obvious. USC and UCLA were added for the TV marketing. Who is the TV darling? it's notre dame in football, and Duke in basketball. ESPN will force Notre dame and Duke to join the BIG 10.

let's let nebraska go back to where they came from.

FSU and miami could join the SEC.

Reactions: WMichBoiler
Notre Dame is obvious. Georgia Tech for the Atlanta media market. Oregon for Nike. UNC because I live nearby and would get to see Purdue play.

But this is all ridiculous.
Georgia Tech is meaningless in the Georgia market. Why in the world would the B1G add them when it can pull in Oregon, UNC, ND, and likely Duke, or some other big fish...

The funniest part will be seeing schools like Louisville looking from the outside in...

ND would bring a big bump for the next TV contract, whether they are located in Indiana or Timbuktu.
Agreed, but they do bring enough interest from Indy and surrounding market that their addition would put Purdue in a very tenuous position, basically expendable from a market share perspective. If we aren't already there..

Georgia Tech is meaningless in the Georgia market. Why in the world would the B1G add them when it can pull in Oregon, UNC, ND, and likely Duke, or some other big fish...

The funniest part will be seeing schools like Louisville looking from the outside in...
The old argument is that it doesn't matter if Ga Tech is second or third fiddle in Atlanta. If there is just enough interest to get BTN on the Atlanta cable carrier basic subscription = huge windfall. We are talking the 8th largest media market in the US and growing. The entire state of Oregon has only 2/3 the population of Atlanta.

I'm not sure if that argument still holds as much water with streaming, but Rutgers wasn't added because of their overwhelming popularity in NY/NJ.

The old argument is that it doesn't matter if Ga Tech is second or third fiddle in Atlanta. If there is just enough interest to get BTN on the Atlanta cable carrier basic subscription = huge windfall. We are talking the 8th largest media market in the US and growing. I'm not sure if that argument still holds as much water with streaming, but Rutgers wasn't added because of their overwhelming popularity in NY/NJ.
i would agree, the two new criteria for additions will be the TV market and national audience. Duke, Stanford and notre dame would be the national audience. georgia tech would bring atlanta.

but if we're talking large communities, let's start talking about Miami.

The old argument is that it doesn't matter if Ga Tech is second or third fiddle in Atlanta. If there is just enough interest to get BTN on the Atlanta cable carrier basic subscription = huge windfall. We are talking the 8th largest media market in the US and growing. The entire state of Oregon has only 2/3 the population of Atlanta.

I'm not sure if that argument still holds as much water with streaming, but Rutgers wasn't added because of their overwhelming popularity in NY/NJ.
Fixed cable is a thing of the past. Streaming packages not reliant on local infrastructure, other than internet service, is where it's going. You're always better taking a bigger better school with more alum than a Georgia Tech with minimal sports legacy. If I were going after a school for a market, it would be UNC, Duke, or NC State...

Nd, wash, oregon, and stanford.

First, we will only add ONE non AAU school, ND, and that offer has been made and they are on the clock.

Second UWash and Ore have already expressed an interest, the only holdup is adding then collapses the PAC and we need NDs answer so we know whether we need 1 or 2 schools from Az, Utah or Co as they all as me markets for the BT network. It didn't matter if anyone watches them, we get paid for every cable subscription in the state per our aggreements already in place.

Which is why Stanford and Cal are out of luck.

Once SEC raids ACC we go after UNC, UVA, GaTech and one ladst offer to ND to get to 24 or we go to Kansas if ND turns down their last chance.

Last edited:
-Is there a team in Texas that would make sense to grab some of that media market?
-UNC has a valid football & basketball facility
-Duke’s football stadium is very lacking
-Vanderbilt would be a big media market, one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the US…results in football/basketball not great
-Would Florida, FSU & Miami all want to be in the SEC? If not who would be the best fit?
-Oregon is a good way to get into the pacific NW market but Night’s money will never run out…it probably gets bigger when he dies: ‘Foundation’
So my 2 cents: Vandy, UNC, Oregon, one of the FL teams (Florida is ranked 28th nationally in academics, much higher than FSU or Miami but they are mid 50’s)

I always disliked rarely getting to play Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, so I think it would be great if we could do something like go to 18 teams, two 9 team divisions where your 9th game is a maintained or rivalry game if your rival isn't in your division. Divisions could either be shuffled up year by year or, ideally, be in a relegation format, which will never happen. That's just my thought if anyone at the Big Ten offices reads these. CFB is becoming the NFL, and we need to mix it up to keep it exciting. Hopefully Purdue doesn't get relegated so we can actually play the big teams.

Oregon, Washington, Duke and North Carolina would be my four of choice assuming ND stays independent. Florida Sate and Clemson would be my replacement choices if Duke and NC are not interested. The bigger question is which schools have or will approach the B1G in the next week or so!

-Is there a team in Texas that would make sense to grab some of that media market?
-UNC has a valid football & basketball facility
-Duke’s football stadium is very lacking
-Vanderbilt would be a big media market, one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the US…results in football/basketball not great
-Would Florida, FSU & Miami all want to be in the SEC? If not who would be the best fit?
-Oregon is a good way to get into the pacific NW market but Night’s money will never run out…it probably gets bigger when he dies: ‘Foundation’
So my 2 cents: Vandy, UNC, Oregon, one of the FL teams (Florida is ranked 28th nationally in academics, much higher than FSU or Miami but they are mid 50’s)
Florida is already in the SEC and is the only of the the Fla schools mentioned in the AAU. We aren't pulling an SEC school, same for Vandy, Tx, TxA&M which wraps up all the Texas AAU schools but Rice... Hard pass.

Oregon has money to burn for now, but so does OSU, UM and PSU.... They are still a good fit, same with Washington, Utah, Az, and Co. I agree ND probably cannot weasel out of the ACC until the SEC raids them for Clemson, FSU, and Miami, which is why we might get them when we go for UNC, UVA GaTech, and either ND or Duke

If we ate eliminating all SEC and other Cali schools then I would say roughly in order
Oregon
Colorado
Virginia
Miami
GA Tech
Washington
UNC

The domers, as always, can pound sand.

Reactions: joseole101
Whether we like it or not, ND is the first choice and always will be. Then the dominos start to fall. North Carolina and Oregon seem to be the shiny jewels, and apparently the B1G has been trying to get UNC for quite some time. In theory they are a package deal with Duke and Washington, respectively. I'm somewhat partial to Virginia from the academic/geographic side of things, and renewing their rivalry with Maryland would be a nice bonus.

The one school I haven't heard anything about this time around is Syracuse. Curious.

I really don't have much desire to do more out west, but it would be hard to pass on Oregon from the $$$ standpoint. Hard pass on Colorado/Utah/AZs.

It sounds like a foregone conclusion that Miami, Clemson and FSU go to the SEC. It only makes sense from several standpoints. Not sure who #20 would be there. Then the ACC disappears so it only makes more sense for the B1G to go that direction.

The Big East probably tries to grab back schools like BC, Syracuse and Pitt in the aftermath. Maybe they'll have a bit more of a legit football presence again.

It certainly is entertaining. This one definitely came out of left field, and my opinion is that the B1G had to do this to be the eater and not end up an also-ran in comparison to the SEC. So for that I'm proud of Kevin Warren.

How do you get around the fact that ND is contractually obligated to join the ACC if they are to ever join a conference? How likely do you think that the ACC will waive their rights in this case?

How do you get around the fact that ND is contractually obligated to join the ACC if they are to ever join a conference? How likely do you think that the ACC will waive their rights in this case?
Contracts can always go away with money. I'd be interested in seeing the language though. Since no one is mentioning that I'd say it would be easy to break.

Reactions: BoilerMadness
I think ND is stuck until the SEC raids the ACC and we go in for ND and three other ACC schools destroying the conference and voiding NDs contact

Contracts can always go away with money. I'd be interested in seeing the language though. Since no one is mentioning that I'd say it would be easy to break.
That is easier said than done. The ACC put up with a lot from ND insisting on FB independence. ND leaving would really hurt them and their network. The amount of dollars.to get a waiver would be staggering. I do not see it as ND will not give up that much money.

I think ND is stuck until the SEC raids the ACC and we go in for ND and three other ACC schools destroying the conference and voiding NDs contact
There will be unraided ACC schools so the conference will still exist, admittedly in a rump state. But wouldn't that make holding ND to its contract even more important? I think that it would. ND made a choice a while ago that has now screwed them.

Reactions: MichaelRR
There will be unraided ACC schools so the conference will still exist, admittedly in a rump state. But wouldn't that make holding ND to its contract even more important? I think that it would. ND made a choice a while ago that has now screwed them.
IT depends on how many schools it takes to vote the ACC out of existence. IF its simple majority, those schools wanting to leave needs to number 8..... if more than that, its unworkable and ND will just have to be in violation of their contract and go through the court system to see how many tens to hundreds of millions that will cost them. Or they go to the SEC, one ESPN contract to another and ESPN massages the ACCs egos and bank accounts to keep/fully get ND in their stable instead of going to Fox's. I do not see the BT willing to pay ND's way out of this mess, stupid should hurt and ND has been VERY stupid in the last two decades how they have handled their conference affiliations.

Oregon/Washington. Give ND one last chance with the courting of Stanford. If they blow us off then Cal. Complete lockdown of California...

Then let SEC do the dirty work to the ACC and see where things go from there.

I think the BIG and SEC would *mostly* have different ACC teams as priorities.

I haven't seen anyone talk about the current bowl system. Even if the SEC/BIG and possibly what's left of the PacBig12 (as an equal or at large conference or neither) there will still be lots of schools and bowl sponsors that will want to go bowling. Does a Purdue, IU, Minnesota, Vandy, Northwestern, etc. just accept being a Cinderella wildcard with no other chances of post season play?

There would still have to be a partnership between the NCAA and the new mega playoff system...

Without big pocket universities and bowl money a struggling Ball State would absolutely have to look at folding some sports.

Final thought...should IU/Purdue need to subsidize BSU, Indiana State, IUPUI, Purdue Ft Wayne, etc. to keep them going? /drunk

I'm not necessarily talking about how many will watch. I'm thinking more about the sheer size of the ATL market when it comes to adding BTN to local cable packages.

Reactions: MichaelRR
I'm not necessarily talking about how many will watch. I'm thinking more about the sheer size of the ATL market when it comes to adding BTN to local cable packages.
The ATL market is irrelevant. The big ten network is streamed on several services and people are cutting cords. Even with subscriptions that’s a fraction of the revenue. The commercials for thr games also drive revenue and if people just subscribe and not watch there is little revenue. Georgia Texh does not draw games the big ten will lose so much revenue if they were to pick up georgia tech. They can’t afford the buyout and put in facilities to be competitive

Reactions: purduepat1969
The ATL market is irrelevant. The big ten network is streamed on several services and people are cutting cords. Even with subscriptions that’s a fraction of the revenue. The commercials for thr games also drive revenue and if people just subscribe and not watch there is little revenue. Georgia Texh does not draw games the big ten will lose so much revenue if they were to pick up georgia tech. They can’t afford the buyout and put in facilities to be competitive
What are the markets that would make sense that people aren’t talking about? I threw out the name Vanderbilt because Nashville is the hottest market for growth in the country but the whole state of Tennessee only gives a crap about UT. So I think it’s kind of pointless if you don’t get UT, which no way the Big Ten would ever get them then it’s kind of a meaningless endeavor??
Is Colorado or Kansas worthwhile? Kansas rolls into Kansas City but are those markets big enough to make sense? I mean after all the University of Kansas has a long way to go in football to become relevant. But I don’t even think Kansas as a school is a very good academic institution if I recall. How about Colorado?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT