ADVERTISEMENT

If Edey goes Dickenson

Mar 3, 2020
would you be pissed off at him or understand????, by testing the waters he's basically putting finances ahead of college. if someone is willing to pay him 3 or 4 x what Purdue could offer wouldn't that be the same thing as going pro.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
would you be pissed off at him or understand????, by testing the waters he's basically putting finances ahead of college. if someone is willing to pay him 3 or 4 x what Purdue could offer wouldn't that be the same thing as going pro.

The good players & even some average ones are ALL pros now. Just a matter of how much and where they have to play to get that. Might be league, might be NCAA.

Whatever happens to Edey, he is a Boilermaker through and through as far as I concerned.

This statement is unrelated to Edey. Purdue is going to have to decide whether they want to be a player in this "arms race." We have the Boilermaker Alliance, but they are not showing much right now, so maybe they are answering that question without publicly answering it.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
.we have the Boilermaker Alliance, but they are not showing much right now, so maybe they are answering that question without publicly answering it.

You know this how?

You might be correct, but I have no idea, & thought that was same for all as I sent the Alliance a set of questions, told I would post answers here.......crickets.

Last edited:
You know this how?

You might be correct, but I have no idea, & thought that was same for all as I sent the Alliance a set of questions, tood I would post answers here.......crickets.
I just can't see bringing in Tiffani Grimes for no reason. She's been a gamer at this and she knows what needs done. I'm guessing but I think we'll be fine.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I just can't see bringing in Tiffani Grimes for no reason. She's been a gamer at this and she knows what needs done. I'm guessing but I think we'll be fine.
I doubt fan visibility is what is important here. Groundwork will be laid and deals will be considered in private conversations. Not in the press or on websites.

Two thoughts. I highly doubt Dickinson received that money from the University of Kansas. They may have brokered the deal or found the willing donor, but I doubt it came from their collective. To get the big $$$, Purdue and Edey’s agent need to aggressively find a willing benefactor . And I have to believe as player of the year, He would be able to get the benefactor to pay him that money regardless of where he attends. I’m of the belief that Dickinson would have received the same payout regardless of the school he chose to attend. As for going to another school, a look at the last tournament reflects there are no sure things. I believe Edey would turn pro before he changed schools!

as for going to IU and how the fans would react. Wasn’t Roger Clemens both a Yankee and a Red Sox? I know what happened to Bret Favre when he returned to Lambeau Field wearing a Vikings uniform. The Packers fans cheered for him when he was introduced. Packers fans tend to show more sportsmanship than college fans!

Two thoughts. I highly doubt Dickinson received that money from the University of Kansas. They may have brokered the deal or found the willing donor, but I doubt it came from their collective. To get the big $$$, Purdue and Edey’s agent need to aggressively find a willing benefactor . And I have to believe as player of the year, He would be able to get the benefactor to pay him that money regardless of where he attends. I’m of the belief that Dickinson would have received the same payout regardless of the school he chose to attend. As for going to another school, a look at the last tournament reflects there are no sure things. I believe Edey would turn pro before he changed schools!

as for going to IU and how the fans would react. Wasn’t Roger Clemens both a Yankee and a Red Sox? I know what happened to Bret Favre when he returned to Lambeau Field wearing a Vikings uniform. The Packers fans cheered for him when he was introduced. Packers fans tend to show more sportsmanship than college fans!
Good point, I think Big D wanted out of UM and upgraded his team and coach. Probably could have brokered a big payday to stay but used it as an excuse to get out of town and as much as I dislike him I don’t really blame him.

Last edited:
Good point, I think Big D wanted out of UM and upgraded his team and coach. Probably could have brokered a big payday to stay but used it as an excuse to get out of town and as much as I dislike him I don’t really blame him.
On target in my opinion. There is a steaming pile of issues at UM and the university is not addressing them. When your coach has so little control over his team that they play "hero ball" at the end of games, and has so little control over his personal behavior that he is involved in multiple physical confrontations with other coaching staffs, you know there is some sort of fire with that level of smoke. To all UM players: "Get out of town ASAP".

Whatever happens to Edey, he is a Boilermaker through and through as far as I concerned.

This statement is unrelated to Edey. Purdue is going to have to decide whether they want to be a player in this "arms race." We have the Boilermaker Alliance, but they are not showing much right now, so maybe they are answering that question without publicly answering it.
I mean when compared to almost any big name team, we have seen a lot less transfers out of Purdue. Our transfers in have been lackluster, but my hunch is they are being conservative with the rules and only putting up the bucks for existing players instead of promising as a recruitment method. That is the way the rules currently are although many teams are ignoring it and throwing out offers before commitment.

I mean when compared to almost any big name team, we have seen a lot less transfers out of Purdue. Our transfers in have been lackluster, but my hunch is they are being conservative with the rules and only putting up the bucks for existing players instead of promising as a recruitment method. That is the way the rules currently are although many teams are ignoring it and throwing out offers before commitment.
I would propose that there is a direct correlation between the two. Painter is very honest with recruits in terms of what they can expect and is very conservative in making any guarantees or promises. He also has stated several times that he keeps in mind the current roster when he evaluates who to bring in, i.e. where he feels good about his existing roster he's not going to bring in a guy at the same position and ask them to battle it out.

That approach seems like it would both limit his ability to attract incoming transfers and reduce the likelihood of current players transferring out. Matt has clearly placed a premium on retention versus attraction, time will tell whether that's the right approach.

ADVERTISEMENT