ADVERTISEMENT

If Brohm wants to leave for Louisville.....

arcb102000

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
....I will wish him well but not chase after him. He has brought Purdue back from the depths under Hazell and made them a competitive team. However, after today, I think that he has maxed out at Purdue. His teams are undisciplined and make too many mistakes at critical times. This is a coaching issue.

Purdue plays well and can be a sought after job. Personally, I would look at the Holy Cross coach who is imaginative and I think capable of taking Purdue to a higher level.

....I will wish him well but not chase after him. He has brought Purdue back from the depths under Hazell and made them a competitive team. However, after today, I think that he has maxed out at Purdue. His teams are undisciplined and make too many mistakes at critical times. This is a coaching issue.

Purdue plays well and can be a sought after job. Personally, I would look at the Holy Cross coach who is imaginative and I think capable of taking Purdue to a higher level.

I certainly agree with your comments on Brohm based on this season’s play so far. I know nothing about the Holy Cross coach you refer to. but this game at Syracuse was certainly not an award-winning coaching performance. that’s for sure.

Sober up and grow up. Brohm has us in a spot where we can finally sustain some success…and you want him gone?

There is certainly much to improve on but we’ve done probably the best we can do with him.

We don’t need a D2 coach to well….do anything for us.

Be a lot of pressure on Brohm if he were to return to Louisville and no guarantee he’d be successful there in a conference that is losing significance. Remember Frost and Nebraska. Frost was coming of a National Championship at UCF. Tic

Sober up and grow up. Brohm has us in a spot where we can finally sustain some success…and you want him gone?

There is certainly much to improve on but we’ve done probably the best we can do with him.

I am quite sober; haven't had a drop of alcohol.

My point is that Brohm has gotten Purdue to as far as he can get us. To sustain a program, Purdue needs to get better. At this point, Purdue is likely 7-5 for the season. It should be better after last year and this year's schedule. Purdue is likely headed to a third-tier bowl, which is not what you need in today's football in order to be a respected program. Brohm is being paid big bucks and his record does not reflect his pay.

Reactions: purduepat1969

We don't need a new coach. But the moral victories are getting old. Today was a game that should have easily been won. Penn St was a game he gave away with his questionable play calling at the end. Now we're in a position where realistically, we're looking at a ceiling of an 8 win season and a floor potentially much worse than expected. This was supposed to be the breakout season (year 6) for the program. And thus far we've been less than impressive. I don't see the last two years of recruiting changing much. And Brohm's in game coaching and play calling have become a clear disadvantage this season. What happens next year when we're breaking in a new QB? It's likely not gonna be pretty. We still don't have a running game. And the defense is pretty average at best It's not exactly looking great right now.

Reactions: DAG10
We don't need a new coach. But the moral victories are getting old. Today was a game that should have easily been won. Penn St was a game he gave away with his questionable play calling at the end. Now we're in a position where realistically, we're looking at a ceiling of an 8 win season and a floor potentially much worse than expected. This was supposed to be the breakout season (year 6) for the program. And thus far we've been less than impressive. I don't see the last two years of recruiting changing much. And Brohm's in game coaching and play calling have become a clear disadvantage this season. What happens next year when we're breaking in a new QB? It's likely not gonna be pretty. We still don't have a running game. And the defense is pretty average at best It's not exactly looking great right now.
Pat, not worried about a new QB next year, always more concerned w/ ave. OL and LB recruits and still no running game

Reactions: BSIT and DAG10
I am quite sober; haven't had a drop of alcohol.

My point is that Brohm has gotten Purdue to as far as he can get us. To sustain a program, Purdue needs to get better. At this point, Purdue is likely 7-5 for the season. It should be better after last year and this year's schedule. Purdue is likely headed to a third-tier bowl, which is not what you need in today's football in order to be a respected program. Brohm is being paid big bucks and his record does not reflect his pay.
You make some good points but arent you glad Purdue didnt give Brohm a ten year,one hundred million dollar contract like MSU gave their coach?Wow!I bet some of their fans are really honked off about that today.

Brohm is by far, one of the better coaches Purdue has ever had. I’ve always said: If you are going to get rid of a good coach at Purdue, you’d better have a real good one lined up or it’s probably out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Also, with Brohm’s desires about Louisville, the AD better have a living list of desired coaches that they can pull the trigger on in case he leaves.
Thirdly, with the Big Ten and SEC becoming the power conferences of the conferences with expansion and big money contracts, Brohm may be rethinking the Louisville thing.

Brohm is by far, one of the better coaches Purdue has ever had. I’ve always said: If you are going to get rid of a good coach at Purdue, you’d better have a real good one lined up or it’s probably out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Also, with Brohm’s desires about Louisville, the AD better have a living list of desired coaches that they can pull the trigger on in case he leaves.
Thirdly, with the Big Ten and SEC becoming the power conferences of the conferences with expansion and big money contracts, Brohm may be rethinking the Louisville thing.

He is not Tiller, Young, or Mollenkopf by a long shot.

Pat, not worried about a new QB next year, always more concerned w/ ave. OL and LB recruits and still no running game
You and Pat have nailed the issues...what is a bigger issue is the mere fact that those are STILL issues...6 years in...with zero indication that they will be fixed anytime soon, much less next year.

How Purdue with Brohm has managed to consistently have some of the worst DCs in the game annually is puzzling for sure, and, the fact that he has had 4 guys now and still not found one that was even good at it, never mind really good, it just flat disappointing, but, also very concerning.

Same goes for the failures of the OL, the inability to recruit RBs and LBs (and might as well add DBs to that list at this point), and, complete ineptness when it comes to clock management...oh, and, Special Teams as well...almost forgot that one.

There should be a new head coach at Purdue if we don`t win 5 more games and one of them must be IU.

That has WAY more to do with Purdue, than, with Brohm.

I don’t wish to see Brohm gone but I feel like he’s did what he set out to do here. He fulfilled promises to young guys he recruited about their futures at Purdue. That’s a big part of why he mulled for several weeks last time with the decision. With this being O’Connells last year and bringing in his best bud in Chuck Sizzle for a year, it really makes for a prime opportunity for him to make the move if their program continues down the road it’s on this year and they reach back out to him.

I also agree that we need to see him level up in some of these areas that he’s talked about after each presser. “We just got to get better…” is only a phrase until you put real action behind it. If your nose is too far into the play sheet during the game then defer typical, yet critical, HC duties to your capable assistants.

There is no doubt that the air raid offensive style is fun to watch and it keeps us in every single game we play. He really is an offensive mastermind and that’s probably what’s helped reinvigorate interest in our football program. We really do just need to button up a few things here and there and we can still be successful at a high level.

I hope he sticks around for several more years but I’m not sure we can rebuff Louisville’s draw very much longer.

Break in the new QB this year. The OL is going to get blown up consistently so you need a QB with some mobility or we will continue to give up untimely pick 6s and PIs.

Frank Reich is going to be available in about an hour...

• Haha
Reactions: wferrel
I don’t wish to see Brohm gone but I feel like he’s did what he set out to do here. He fulfilled promises to young guys he recruited about their futures at Purdue. That’s a big part of why he mulled for several weeks last time with the decision. With this being O’Connells last year and bringing in his best bud in Chuck Sizzle for a year, it really makes for a prime opportunity for him to make the move if their program continues down the road it’s on this year and they reach back out to him.

I also agree that we need to see him level up in some of these areas that he’s talked about after each presser. “We just got to get better…” is only a phrase until you put real action behind it. If your nose is too far into the play sheet during the game then defer typical, yet critical, HC duties to your capable assistants.

There is no doubt that the air raid offensive style is fun to watch and it keeps us in every single game we play. He really is an offensive mastermind and that’s probably what’s helped reinvigorate interest in our football program. We really do just need to button up a few things here and there and we can still be successful at a high level.

I hope he sticks around for several more years but I’m not sure we can rebuff Louisville’s draw very much longer.
I'm not worried about him leaving for Louisville. Let him. I don't want to him to leave. But I won't lose any sleep. With the money that's coming in from the TV contract, this university can afford to hire a very good coach. My only concern is whether the new president is committed to the sports programs like Daniels is.

Let him go if he wants! Rehire Hope! The results are the same for 1/10th the price!

You're crazy if you want Brohm gone.
He's not only brought Purdue back from the depths, but he's building a program that's exciting to watch, guys want to be a part of, can beat anyone on any given night, produces NFL talent, etc. He's made Purdue football a thing again.
He needs to clean up his in game coaching/clock management decisions. Fix the dumb penalties (discipline). Find a way to finish a game (we were leading both PSU and SU with less than 3 minutes and allowed game winning TD drives in both games).
Maybe that comes with experience or maybe it's a coaching staff issue, but for now, Purdue needs to lock him down financially and contractwise.

He's not only brought Purdue back from the depths, but he's building a program that's exciting to watch, guys want to be a part of, can beat anyone on any given night, produces NFL talent, etc. He's made Purdue football a thing again.
He needs to clean up his in game coaching/clock management decisions. Fix the dumb penalties (discipline). Find a way to finish a game (we were leading both PSU and SU with less than 3 minutes and allowed game winning TD drives in both games).
Maybe that comes with experience or maybe it's a coaching staff issue, but for now, Purdue needs to lock him down financially and contractwise.
I like to think that you are right but I am not sure that you are. Brohm is in his 6th year at Purdue with prior tenure at WKy. I do not see how lack of experience should be an issue at this point. As for staffing, he has had time to settle that. He is being paid in the top quintile of coaches. But even your post suggests that he is not achieving at a level that reflects that status.

I do not wish him to go. But I expect more from him. I get the Hazell tenure caused problems for him; but that should be solved by now. The lack of discipline and the lack of a strong defense has been recurring issue for his program with numerous examples. I just wonder if this is as far as he can take Purdue.

Brohm is what he is. He’s not going to get better as we’ve seen him for now his 6th year. I don‘t want him gone, but he’s not going to fix the issues at hand. In game coaching and clock management will continue to be what it is. He has not learned from his mistakes and the same mistakes will be made.

Brohm is what he is. He’s not going to get better as we’ve seen him for now his 6th year. I don‘t want him gone, but he’s not going to fix the issues at hand. In game coaching and clock management will continue to be what it is. He has not learned from his mistakes and the same mistakes will be made.
He's probably not going to change significantly, but one move he could make is to change his responsibilities on game day and delegate the play-calling duties. He would not be the first ball coach to "see the light" on that topic. Attention to detail in all 3 phases suffers when your HC is mentally consumed with breaking down the opposing defense.

Two signs of a poorly coached team are penalties and turnovers. He needs to get the penalty situation cleaned up because it cost them a win.
Agree on all...and, there was a turnover as well that ranks right up with the worst of all-time, by a guy that simply has to know not to make it, and, it was as much a factor ultimately as any in Purdue losing the game (and, that does not even account for the 2 interceptions that Purdue had that were wiped away by other penalties).

Reactions: Boiler8285
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT