ADVERTISEMENT

If Brohm does leave Purdue, would you be in favor of the following resume?

• Total voters

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
General question here:

Coach A:
Offensive Coordinator at the P5 level for 6 different programs
Current OC P5 Program
NFL Experience as an assistant coach
Experience with QB's
Spread offense philosophy
Named interim coach (HC record 1-0)
Known as a high level recruiter nationally
56 years old

Coach B:
Offensive Coordinator at two P5 programs
Current HC G5 program
HC record of 25-12 (0-2 bowl games)
Spread offensive concept
2017: 4,355 yards passing 2016: 3957 yards passing 2018: 2843 yards passing
Known as good recruiter
37 years old

Coach C:
HC D1AA program
Current HC P5 program
Former HC G5 program
HC Overall Record 53-35
2X COY in respective D1AA League
Position coach 7 different P5 programs
Associate HC P5 program (1 season)
G5 Conference Championship Season
2016: 3855 passing yards 2017: 3538 passing yards 2018: 2776 passing yards
57 years old

Coach D:
OC @ 1 G5 program
Current HC @ G5 program
Overall HC Record: 34-15 (2-0 bowl games)
COY G5 League
G5 Conference Championship
2015: 2847 passing yards 2016: 3386 passing yards 2017: 3505 passing yards 2018: 2309 passing yards
Spread offensive passing concepts
38 years old

Coach E:
Former 1AA QB
QB Coach/Offensive Coordinator at 4 P5 programs
2017: 4026 passing yards 2016: 4306 passing yards 2015: 3323 passing yards 2014: 3971 passing yards 2013: 4593 passing yards
Spread Offensive Philosophy
Coached as many as 4 NFL QB's in his coaching tenures
33 years old

Coach F:
Current HC P5 program
Former HC G5 program
COY P5 Conference
COY G5 Conference
Offensive Coordinator G5 program
Overall HC Record: 52-31 (3-1 bowl games)
2 G5 Conference Division Titles
Pro style passing offensive philosophy
2018: 2312 passing yards 2017: 3548 passing yards 2016: 3016 passing yards 2015: 3036 passing yards 2014: 3044 passing yards 2013: 2481 passing yards 2012: 3276 passing yards 2011: 3480 passing yards 2011:
38 years old

I agree with Gemini. D and F look like the most accomplished two.

E looks promising but doesn't have much head coaching experience: is he lightning in a bottle or the next Darrell Hazell? C looks like a modest upgrade over Danny Hope/Brock Spack. E looks like a great candidate for an offensive assistant. A looks like a career assistant.

None of the above he is so not leaving. Why do people actually believe DD aka ding dong

None of the above he is so not leaving. Why do people actually believe DD aka ding dong
I didn't believe DD because I don't believe Brohm will make a decision (or even entertain the decision) until the regular season is complete.

I like this game, anxious to know the results.

I think F and B clearly rise to the top.

I think C and E clearly sink to the bottom.

General question here:

Coach A:
Offensive Coordinator at the P5 level for 6 different programs
Current OC P5 Program
NFL Experience as an assistant coach
Experience with QB's
Spread offense philosophy
Named interim coach (HC record 1-0)
Known as a high level recruiter nationally
56 years old

Coach B:
Current HC G5 program
HC record of 25-12 (0-2 bowl games)
Spread offensive concept
2017: 4,355 yards passing 2016: 3957 yards passing 2018: 2843 yards passing
Known as good recruiter
37 years old

Coach C:
HC D1AA program
Current HC P5 program
Former HC G5 program
HC Overall Record 53-35
2X COY in respective D1AA League
Position coach 7 different P5 programs
Associate HC P5 program (1 season)
G5 Conference Championship Season
2016: 3855 passing yards 2017: 3538 passing yards 2018: 2776 passing yards
57 years old

Coach D:
OC @ 1 G5 program
Current HC @ G5 program
Overall HC Record: 34-15 (2-0 bowl games)
COY G5 League
G5 Conference Championship
2015: 2847 passing yards 2016: 3386 passing yards 2017: 3505 passing yards 2018: 2309 passing yards
Spread offensive passing concepts
38 years old

Coach E:
Former 1AA QB
QB Coach/Offensive Coordinator at 4 P5 programs
2017: 4026 passing yards 2016: 4306 passing yards 2015: 3323 passing yards 2014: 3971 passing yards 2013: 4593 passing yards
Spread Offensive Philosophy
Coached as many as 4 NFL QB's in his coaching tenures
33 years old

Coach F:
Current HC P5 program
Former HC G5 program
COY P5 Conference
COY G5 Conference
Offensive Coordinator G5 program
Overall HC Record: 52-31 (3-1 bowl games)
2 G5 Conference Division Titles
Pro style passing offensive philosophy
2018: 2312 passing yards 2017: 3548 passing yards 2016: 3016 passing yards 2015: 3036 passing yards 2014: 3044 passing yards 2013: 2481 passing yards 2012: 3276 passing yards 2011: 3480 passing yards 2011:
38 years old

Before I play this trap game, which one is Hazell.

Rather than say I guy is known as a great recruiter, I want to know what his school's actual ranking was and how many elite 4/5 athletes his school actually signed.

I want a guy with p5 head coaching experience and a winning record!

I could care less about passing stats Typically teams with a lot of passing yards are teams that fall behind and are using the pass to try to catch up. I.e. OSU passed a ton trying to catch up to us.

Alabamas passing yards are never that great .

When talking about coaching QBs that became NFL pros I want to know who those QBs were. Both Brohm's were NFL QBs as was Painter that doesn't say much about them or their coach. Yancy was NFL receiver too

Rather than say I guy is known as a great recruiter, I want to know what his school's actual ranking was and how many elite 4/5 athletes his school actually signed.

I want a guy with p5 head coaching experience and a winning record!

I could care less about passing stats Typically teams with a lot of passing yards are teams that fall behind and are using the pass to try to catch up. I.e. OSU passed a ton trying to catch up to us.

Alabamas passing yards are never that great .

When talking about coaching QBs that became NFL pros I want to know who those QBs were. Both Brohm's were NFL QBs as was Painter that doesn't say much about them or their coach. Yancy was NFL receiver too
Had I given exact rankings out, you could easily have figured out who was who. Tried to give as much info as possible without it being a dead giveaway. I think some of you will be very surprised tomorrow when I release the names!

Well the thing I liked about Brohm was his ability to attract elite players. That's a huge difference from being supposedly known as a good recruiter. Painter is a good recruiter.

You also didn't mention their philosophy about their offensive line. Do any of them believe in recruiting o linemen that don't need two years to develop before making an impact? I like 300 pound linemen as recruits. I don't like recruiting 240 lb guys and using the next two years trying to add weight. I want to see sophomores and red shirt freshmen starting. They do on winning teams.

My thoughts are the lline should take a priority over skilled positions and dbacks. I want to see our d line be able to pass rush and our o line create holes and protect our QB

Well the thing I liked about Brohm was his ability to attract elite players. That's a huge difference from being supposedly known as a good recruiter. Painter is a good recruiter.

You also didn't mention their philosophy about their offensive line. Do any of them believe in recruiting o linemen that don't need two years to develop before making an impact? I like 300 pound linemen as recruits. I don't like recruiting 240 lb guys and using the next two years trying to add weight. I want to see sophomores and red shirt freshmen starting. They do on winning teams.

My thoughts are the lline should take a priority over skilled positions and dbacks. I want to see our d line be able to pass rush and our o line create holes and protect our QB
I voted for B, Norvell is still my guy.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I know this is going to sound snarky and I’m honestly trying to be less snarky toward you, but do you watch any college football other than our games? This comment on passing is a laughably bad take on the current state of offensive play calling in college (and the pros for that matter).

For those that care:
A: Former Purdue OC Jim Chaney
B: Memphis HC Mike Norvell
C: Syracuse HC Dino Babers
D: Troy HC Neal Brown
E: West Virginia OC Jake Spavital
F: Iowa State HC Matt Campbell

Looks like Troy HC Neal Brown would have won a 'blind' look at some aspects of a coach resume. I think he could do very well at Purdue but likely would be looking at the exact same type of situation in 3-5 years....which isn't a bad thing because it means Purdue has had a successful transition.

That being said, I still believe Brohm is leaning toward staying at Purdue given the timeline of the events that have occurred.

Last edited:
Here is another one for you:

Coach G:
2x National QB coach of the year
Former HC P5 program
HC record of 37-16 (2-2 bowl games, including NCG appearance)
HC of Heisman trophy winning QB
His coaching tree includes a well known and highly paid P5 HC
Current NFL OC (helped take team from 29th to 6th in scoring)
Spread offensive concept
45 years old

Here is another one for you:

Coach G:
2x National QB coach of the year
Former HC P5 program
HC record of 37-16 (2-2 bowl games, including NCG appearance)
HC of Heisman trophy winning QB
His coaching tree includes a well known and highly paid P5 HC
Current NFL OC (helped take team from 29th to 6th in scoring)
Spread offensive concept
45 years old
I guess it would be a short move down 65. Is he known as a good recruiter, or did the swoosh take care of that for him ar Oregon?

I know this is going to sound snarky and I’m honestly trying to be less snarky toward you, but do you watch any college football other than our games? This comment on passing is a laughably bad take on the current state of offensive play calling in college (and the pros for that matter).
Passing is great and the fans love it, but successful teams are not totally one sided pass happy. Their offense has a balance. What is Purdue's record this year? What is the Packer's record? They sure love to pass a lot. I prefer winning over watching teams who pass a lot. As a Packers fan I always thought Bart Starr was their greatest QB . And his passing stats were not close to several other Green BAy QBs or for that matter to other QBs in the league at his time. I prefer Joe Montana over Marino and Fouts. And I hate to say this but most people who are not Purdue alumni would choose Brady over Brees as the better QB .

I'm tired of a team with a great statistical offense that can't win close games! Give me a boring team and the W . And I have the belief that the majority of fans would accept the same, although you won't find them as posters on internet sports forums. Posters on the internet are typically driven by fantasy stats and war and ops and +/- and other stats that only people who come in second place actually care about. If we had beat Wisconsin, 80% of the fans wouldn't remember the score or would have even looked up or cared about the stats. Consider me part of that 80%.

Quick thought without trying to figure out who they are... D, F, A, B, E, C
***Condoleezza Rice*** Had to throw that candidate in for discussion.
Now we know why Cleveland Browns are so bad.
Just because your a great fan of the sport, doesn't qualify you to become head coach. What understanding of fire off the ball, low pad level, swim / spin techniques, pinch blitz, cover 2, etc etc does she have that qualifies her for that job?
I understand she has a great Noggin' of a brain, but that doesn't equate to OJT and immediate communication with players to make them perform.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-interview-condoleezza-rice-head-coaching-job

I guess it would be a short move down 65. Is he known as a good recruiter, or did the swoosh take care of that for him ar Oregon?
Not sure about the recruiting. The book on him is he was a great #2 guy, but not equipped to lead a program. Of course he stumbled into a couple of really good seasons and a NCG before they went downhill in 2016. Seems like the Ducks demise was mostly on the defensive side of the ball, and, like Brohm, I think he would be very dependent on a good DC.

Passing is great and the fans love it, but successful teams are not totally one sided pass happy. Their offense has a balance. What is Purdue's record this year? What is the Packer's record? They sure love to pass a lot. I prefer winning over watching teams who pass a lot. As a Packers fan I always thought Bart Starr was their greatest QB . And his passing stats were not close to several other Green BAy QBs or for that matter to other QBs in the league at his time. I prefer Joe Montana over Marino and Fouts. And I hate to say this but most people who are not Purdue alumni would choose Brady over Brees as the better QB .

I'm tired of a team with a great statistical offense that can't win close games! Give me a boring team and the W . And I have the belief that the majority of fans would accept the same, although you won't find them as posters on internet sports forums. Posters on the internet are typically driven by fantasy stats and war and ops and +/- and other stats that only people who come in second place actually care about. If we had beat Wisconsin, 80% of the fans wouldn't remember the score or would have even looked up or cared about the stats. Consider me part of that 80%.
IDK, Purdue has always been a school with a reputation of good QB's and I like that. I also like balance too, but there are plenty of passing teams that are winning teams. Heck the Patriots are pretty pass happy themselves and you can't argue with their sucess. I am with you regarding Montana. As far as the Brady/Brees debate; I don't think it is a fair playing field. Brady has always had the better team around him throughout his career except for maybe the year Brees won the Superbowl. If Brees played for the Patriots and Brady played for the Saints it would be interesting to see how that would have turned out.

I definitely don't want a ground and pound boring team to watch. If I wanted that I would say Les Miles would have been the perfect coach. Unless you can recruit like Alabama I think you're gong to have holes to fill that will require you to pass pretty often.

The game has changed so much since Starr was a QB. The rules are now designed to protect QBs and wide receivers. Good passing games allow you to move the ball quickly, much more so than running the ball. As someone else said, defense is also part of the equation.

The game has changed so much since Starr was a QB. The rules are now designed to protect QBs and wide receivers. Good passing games allow you to move the ball quickly, much more so than running the ball. As someone else said, defense is also part of the equation.
From a VOL Fan, DO NOT hire Butch Jones.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Purdue will announce Butch Jones as their new football coach as early as Sunday, sources tell me.</p>&mdash; Andy Furman (@AndyFurmanFSR) <a href="">November 30, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT