ADVERTISEMENT

If anyone wants to take a closer look at Bellarmine....

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002

Team has a distinct Southern Indiana flavor as you might expect from a team based in Louisville. About half their roster played high school ball in Indiana. I'm more familiar with players from Indy and north of Indy so if you follow high school ball south of Indy some of these may mean more to you. Only name that stands out to me is Curt Hopf who played at Barr-Reeve last year. I saw him and Furst square off in the HOF Classic at New Castle last year and Hopf did an ok job on him. Not sure where in the rotation he is for them as a true freshman though or if he's in it at all. I suspect he'll see minutes against Purdue regardless as size will be at a premium for them (and most of our opponents this year) and he's their 3rd tallest player behind a couple of 6-10 guys.

They return 4 of 5 starters from a 14-8 team last year that finished 2nd in the A-Sun conference. The starter they lost was their leader in points (16.0), rebounds (6.9), and steals (1.6) though. As a team they were 3rd in the country in field goal percentage last year at 50.9%.

Returning starters (all averaged 30 minutes per game or more last year):

Dylan Penn, 6-3 senior guard, 12.9 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.6 assists . Only 8 of 30 from 3 last season.
CJ Fleming, 6-0 senior guard, 12.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.8 assists. He's their shooter. 46/104 for 44% from deep.
Ethan Claycomb, 6-7 senior forward, 10.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.0 assists. Also a decent shooter. 34/92 for 37%.
Nick Thelen, 6-7 junior forward, 5.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg. Missed the only 3-pointer he took last year.

Other players averaging 15+ minutes. Both shot over 40% from deep last year but averaged fewer than 1 attempt per game.

Juston Betz, 6-3 senior guard, 26 mpg off the bench. averaged 4 ppg, 3.0 rpg and 2.4 apg. Only attempted 18 3's last season but made 8 of them.
Alec Pfriem, 6-5 junior guard, 19 mpg off the bench, 6.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, and 1.0 apg. 8 of 19 from deep last year.

Games against significant opponents last year. Note we beat the latter two last year.

Lost 76-54 at Duke
Lost 81-70 at Notre Dame
Lost 94-78 to Liberty

What stands out is their field goal percentage. I can only assume that their guards are good at finding and taking good shots so maybe that will be a test for our defense. They also took care of the ball and averaged only 11 turnovers per game.

We should have a strong advantage inside. They have a big man (6-10 Sam DeVault) who averaged about 10 mpg last year off the bench that shot a respectable 14-38 from deep last year. Would not be surprised if he starts against us to try to matchup with our size and maybe attempt to use him to pull our big men out of the middle.

This is not a walk-over game. I think their NET ranking was in the 100's last year. We should certainly have an advantage, particularly inside, and win the game but they could give us some issues if we don't play well. I think it will be a good, early test to see if our defense has improved at all from the exhibition and scrimmage. Bellarmine is used to taking care of the ball and finding/taking good shots. They have a couple of really good shooters but also some guys that we can lay off of. Hopefully we know our assignments and can force them into bad shots. If we constantly get beat off the dribble and rely on help, I think these guys will find the open guys for good shots.

Last edited:
That is a whole lotta scoring with little defense it seems. Just can't take them, or anyone really, lightly.

Come out strong and put them away early.

Reactions: Purdue85

Team has a distinct Southern Indiana flavor as you might expect from a team based in Louisville. About half their roster played high school ball in Indiana. I'm more familiar with players from Indy and north of Indy so if you follow high school ball south of Indy some of these may mean more to you. Only name that stands out to me is Curt Hopf who played at Barr-Reeve last year. I saw him and Furst square off in the HOF Classic at New Castle last year and Hopf did an ok job on him. Not sure where in the rotation he is for them as a true freshman though or if he's in it at all. I suspect he'll see minutes against Purdue regardless as size will be at a premium for them (and most of our opponents this year) and he's their 3rd tallest player behind a couple of 6-10 guys.

They return 4 of 5 starters from a 14-8 team last year that finished 2nd in the A-Sun conference. The starter they lost was their leader in points (16.0), rebounds (6.9), and steals (1.6) though. As a team they were 3rd in the country in field goal percentage last year at 50.9%.

Dylan Penn, 6-3 senior guard, 12.9 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.6 assists . Only 8 of 30 from 3 last season.
CJ Fleming, 6-0 senior guard, 12.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.8 assists. He's their shooter. 46/104 for 44% from deep.
Ethan Claycomb, 6-7 senior forward, 10.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.0 assists. Also a decent shooter. 34/92 for 37%.
Nick Thelen, 6-7 junior forward, 5.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg. Missed the only 3-pointer he took last year.

Other players averaging 15+ minutes. Both shot over 40% from deep last year but averaged fewer than 1 attempt per game.

Juston Betz, 6-3 senior guard, 26 mpg off the bench. averaged 4 ppg, 3.0 rpg and 2.4 apg. Only attempted 18 3's last season but made 8 of them.
Alec Pfriem, 6-5 junior guard, 19 mpg off the bench, 6.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, and 1.0 apg. 8 of 19 from deep last year.

Games against significant opponents last year. Note we beat the latter two last year.

Lost 76-54 at Duke
Lost 81-70 at Notre Dame
Lost 94-78 to Liberty

What stands out is their field goal percentage. I can only assume that their guards are good at finding and taking good shots so maybe that will be a test for our defense. They also took care of the ball and averaged only 11 turnovers per game.

We should have a strong advantage inside. They have a big man (6-10 Sam DeVault) who averaged about 10 mpg last year off the bench that shot a respectable 14-38 from deep last year. Would not be surprised if he starts against us to try to matchup with our size and maybe attempt to use him to pull our big men out of the middle.

This is not a walk-over game. I think their NET ranking was in the 100's last year. We should certainly have an advantage, particularly inside, and win the game but they could give us some issues if we don't play well. I think it will be a good, early test to see if our defense has improved at all from the exhibition and scrimmage. Bellarmine is used to taking care of the ball and finding/taking good shots. They have a couple of really good shooters but also some guys that we can lay off of. Hopefully we know our assignments and can force them into bad shots. If we constantly get beat off the dribble and rely on help, I think these guys will find the open guys for good shots.
Excellent post and this is absolutely NO cupcake game!

Here is a really neat rundown of how they run their offense.

Very neat scheme, and should be a good test for our perimeter defense.
Reminds me of Coach Dale yelling - 4 passes before you shoot! It will be a good test defensively against their cutting action. Separate topic: I wonder what happened to former Boiler and Bellarmine player, Donnie Hale. I read where he only played at Bellarmine a semester before leaving (8 years ago).

Reactions: Schnelk
Reminds me of Coach Dale yelling - 4 passes before you shoot! It will be a good test defensively against their cutting action. Separate topic: I wonder what happened to former Boiler and Bellarmine player, Donnie Hale. I read where he only played at Bellarmine a semester before leaving (8 years ago).
Reminded me a little of Northwestern under Carmody.

Lost 76-54 at Duke
Lost 81-70 at Notre Dame
Lost 94-78 to Liberty

"What stands out is their field goal percentage. I can only assume that their guards are good at finding and taking good shots so maybe that will be a test for our defense. They also took care of the ball and averaged only 11 turnovers per game."

This is where I hope Purdue continues to get challenged pre-B1G. I hope their gaurds are quick and play with a chip on their shoulder.

Living in Louisville, Bellermine gets a lot of pub down here and rightfully so. Scottie Davenport is highly regarded as a coach and will out coach most. Great coach and person
Bellermine has won the D2 Title several times under his watch and made the move to DI last year.
Lots of midwestern kids that can shoot and won’t make mistakes, just good players that are coached up.

Is Freedom Hall their home court? The old Louisville arena?

Line is Purdue -21.5, total 147

I think Purdue's advantage is size and it will show up in a few different ways. Offence is self explanatory. On defense, they are not going to have as much room to work, passing lanes will be tighter and Painter will find out who can guard out on the perimeter. Good news is that I did not make plans to travel up for this one. I have a bad track record.

I don't know. That works out to roughly 84-63. Seems high if anything IMO. I feel it's more likely to hold them under 60 than score 80+.
My logic is that Purdue has a huge advantage inside and has been shooting well, so I don’t see Bellarmine slowing down the offense too much, but I do see Bellarmine having some success on the other side of the ball given their offensive efficiency and reports that the Purdue hasn’t gelled defensively yet.

Reactions: tjreese
Reminded me a little of Northwestern under Carmody.
Curious if Matt picks up the ball once inbounded to eat clock and try to get the team a bit farther out with less clock. Players have got to see ball AND man (as always). I hope to see Purdue D step to the ball after a pass to prevent the return pass and/or to force out away from rub. Use the back of the hand to feel the player when you are a bit up high. Inside hand in passing lane only so body is still in position for backcut. Head snap and change of hands on D when quick cuts on wing or baseline..turn and open up when you hit the lane to help with drive...unless you can't get to your man if he is passed. I look for Matt to sag on their five at high post and see if their five is hitting. Should be fun and a different style for Purdue. Purdue has enough length on D to not have to get so tight and they have to figure out how to stop Purdue on O.

Curious if Matt picks up the ball once inbounded to eat clock and try to get the team a bit farther out with less clock. Players have got to see ball AND man (as always). I hope to see Purdue D step to the ball after a pass to prevent the return pass and/or to force out away from rub. Use the back of the hand to feel the player when you are a bit up high. Inside hand in passing lane only so body is still in position for backcut. Head snap and change of hands on D when quick cuts on wing or baseline..turn and open up when you hit the lane to help with drive...unless you can't get to your man if he is passed. I look for Matt to sag on their five at high post and see if their five is hitting. Should be fun and a different style for Purdue. Purdue has enough length on D to not have to get so tight and they have to figure out how to stop Purdue on O.
Exactly my thuoght.

If I was Bella, I’d figure that Williams and Eddy are going to get their points in the paint. Guard them conventionally and don’t double and don’t foul. They can only score 2 points at a time no matter how tall they are. It is possible that B’s offense can counter that and stay in range to win. I would try to shut off Purdue’s three point shot, and crowd the passing lanes. I’d try to get a few extra shots by stealing the ball. If Purdue scores much from 3-pt range, and starts working their inside-outside game, this game will get out of hand quickly.

My logic is that Purdue has a huge advantage inside and has been shooting well, so I don’t see Bellarmine slowing down the offense too much, but I do see Bellarmine having some success on the other side of the ball given their offensive efficiency and reports that the Purdue hasn’t gelled defensively yet.

Let us hope and pray they worked on that DEFENSE more over the last few days.

If I was Bella, I’d figure that Williams and Eddy are going to get their points in the paint. Guard them conventionally and don’t double and don’t foul. They can only score 2 points at a time no matter how tall they are. It is possible that B’s offense can counter that and stay in range to win. I would try to shut off Purdue’s three point shot, and crowd the passing lanes. I’d try to get a few extra shots by stealing the ball. If Purdue scores much from 3-pt range, and starts working their inside-outside game, this game will get out of hand quickly.
I think that doubling Tre is harder than doubling Zach, because Tre is such a great passer. I think that he almost has to bring help against Edey because otherwise, it is almost an automatic 2. It’s an awesome luxury to have both of them.

Hey keep it PG guys....
iu

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT