ADVERTISEMENT

Idle thoughts for an idle week

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
(1) The sun came up today. As much as it stings, getting bullied by Wisconsin isn't anything this program hasn't dealt with before. This was not a crushing loss, even if it felt like one.
(2) Bye week. Team: Rest up, lick your wounds, and then come back with motivation from the sting of loss and opportunity ahead. Every single goal is still on the table. Every. Single. One.
(3) Bye week. Fans: Sit back and take in some stress free football. OSU/PSU white out should be good theater. Will Syracuse get back on track vs. ND? Louisville with a chance for a big win, hosting Wake. Illinois travels to Nebby... hmmm.. why do I have a funny feeling about this one??
(4) Speculation as to who comes back off the bye week healthy - Doerue, Downing, Yaseen, Trice, Brown, Brothers, Canion, the 6 OL still standing, etc
(5) Nobody is getting fired this week. Just stop.
(6) Devin Mockobee. What a pleasant surprise. I hope to see him in a Boiler uniform for 3 more years. The portal giveth, the portal can taketh away.
(7) Are we stuck with Vegas gold/beige pants forever? Burn them and go all-in with black already.
(8) Mother nature has held up her end of the bargain this season. Which means the bad one is coming..
(9) I have lost my last shred of interest in the recruiting scene. I know that recruiting rankings, as a whole, correlate to talent and productivity. But not here. Not at Purdue. Our big 3 on offense couldn't sniff a big time offer, while most of the prized recruits from the junior and senior classes have transferred out or ride the bench.
(10) I'd like to meet the person to follows both Purdue football and Taylor Swift. Then again, no I don't.

This loss was nothing to me. I'm numb to losses against Wisconsin, I would rather win but it's like hoping it's not cold in February. Love it when it's 50 and sunny, but when you wake up and it 13 degrees, you just think, "Of course it's 13 degrees, it's Febraury."

• Haha
Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
(1) The sun came up today. As much as it stings, getting bullied by Wisconsin isn't anything this program hasn't dealt with before. This was not a crushing loss, even if it felt like one.
(2) Bye week. Team: Rest up, lick your wounds, and then come back with motivation from the sting of loss and opportunity ahead. Every single goal is still on the table. Every. Single. One.
(3) Bye week. Fans: Sit back and take in some stress free football. OSU/PSU white out should be good theater. Will Syracuse get back on track vs. ND? Louisville with a chance for a big win, hosting Wake. Illinois travels to Nebby... hmmm.. why do I have a funny feeling about this one??
(4) Speculation as to who comes back off the bye week healthy - Doerue, Downing, Yaseen, Trice, Brown, Brothers, Canion, the 6 OL still standing, etc
(6) Devin Mockobee. What a pleasant surprise. I hope to see him in a Boiler uniform for 3 more years. The portal giveth, the portal can taketh away.
(7) Are we stuck with Vegas gold/beige pants forever? Burn them and go all-in with black already.
(8) Mother nature has held up her end of the bargain this season. Which means the bad one is coming..
(9) I have lost my last shred of interest in the recruiting scene. I know that recruiting rankings, as a whole, correlate to talent and productivity. But not here. Not at Purdue. Our big 3 on offense couldn't sniff a big time offer, while most of the prized recruits from the junior and senior classes have transferred out or ride the bench.
(10) I'd like to meet the person to follows both Purdue football and Taylor Swift. Then again, no I don't.
Good points.Especially three and four.Purdue surely needs those three defensive guys,Trice,Brown and Brothers to play against Iowa,so lets keep our fingers crossed.

Agree with all points except #1. To say it wasn't crushing, I have to disagree. Performance in season for both programs at that time lead to expectations. WI - interim head coach, having unexpected losses, injuries mounting just like Purdue. Meanwhile, Purdue winning multiple games in a row, finding ways to win, maybe this is truly the year it was meant to be. Then, laid an egg. The Charlie Brown/Lucy football pullback is highlighted below by a creative person. Enjoy
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfR5G08WYAMDqv0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
Agree with all points except #1. To say it wasn't crushing, I have to disagree. Performance in season for both programs at that time lead to expectations. WI - interim head coach, having unexpected losses, injuries mounting just like Purdue. Meanwhile, Purdue winning multiple games in a row, finding ways to win, maybe this is truly the year it was meant to be. Then, laid an egg.
Yeah, it sucked. An egg was laid. But to consider it crushing, you have to concede that goals for the season are no longer within reach or that the team cannot recover from the loss. As disappointing as Saturday was, I don't concede those things. Purdue has beaten good teams and the rest of the schedule isn't murderers row. I remember the 2000 the Rose Bowl team looking completely inept in a road loss at MSU, then turned around and absolutely annihilated IU. Ups and downs happen.
Assuming Illinois will lose to Michigan, Purdue still effectively controls its own destiny in the West and can still win 8 or 9 games. Those are absolutely big things for a program like Purdue.
Coming off the bye week in good health is paramount because depth, above anything else, is starting to chip away.

Agree with all points except #1. To say it wasn't crushing, I have to disagree. Performance in season for both programs at that time lead to expectations. WI - interim head coach, having unexpected losses, injuries mounting just like Purdue. Meanwhile, Purdue winning multiple games in a row, finding ways to win, maybe this is truly the year it was meant to be. Then, laid an egg. The Charlie Brown/Lucy football pullback is highlighted below by a creative person. Enjoy
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfR5G08WYAMDqv0.jpg
#9 is another to disagree with...it matters. That Purdue has had some good fortune with guys that were not highly rated is awesome, but, they don't have near enough truly talented guys. On one hand, credit for finding some guys that were capable of playing and making a difference that were walk-ons...on the other, find guys that are genuinely good that can do the same. I appreciate what several of the walk-ons have done, and, there are lots of stories of guys that were overlooked and just needed a chance and then were able to achieve success...but, it does not excuse the poor recruiting, recruiting misses or failure to develop otherwise.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Yeah, it sucked. An egg was laid. But to consider it crushing, you have to concede that goals for the season are no longer within reach or that the team cannot recover from the loss. As disappointing as Saturday was, I don't concede those things. Purdue has beaten good teams and the rest of the schedule isn't murderers row. I remember the 2000 the Rose Bowl team looking completely inept in a road loss at MSU, then turned around and absolutely annihilated IU. Ups and downs happen.
Assuming Illinois will lose to Michigan, Purdue still effectively controls its own destiny in the West and can still win 8 or 9 games. Those are absolutely big things for a program like Purdue.
Coming off the bye week in good health is paramount because depth, above anything else, is starting to chip away.
It did suck...it sucked more because it was a golden opportunity, and, because it was a case where Purdue should have been in position to win a game against Wisconsin. That, and, that the same problems that have plagued them continue to...no change in personnel, scheme or performance made it all the more disappointing, and, is cause for concern moving forward as a result in that it just seems that it can't be fixed.

#9 is another to disagree with...it matters. That Purdue has had some good fortune with guys that were not highly rated is awesome, but, they don't have near enough truly talented guys. On one hand, credit for finding some guys that were capable of playing and making a difference that were walk-ons...on the other, find guys that are genuinely good that can do the same. I appreciate what several of the walk-ons have done, and, there are lots of stories of guys that were overlooked and just needed a chance and then were able to achieve success...but, it does not excuse the poor recruiting, recruiting misses or failure to develop otherwise.
So if Brohm signs another top 25 class like 2019 will you be convinced that the guys at the top of the class will be the team leaders 2-3 years later? Recruiting is important, of course. But with all the busts, injuries, and now the portal, I'm done projecting the future. That's what #9 was about.

Agree wholeheartedly and remember the MSU (Drew Brees) game as well. It happens. Players need to heal up and show up for the home stretch.

Would agree with that. I don’t want to be trying to constantly find the diamonds in there rough. That is too hard to do.

I am happy for the AOCs, Horvaths, Mocks, etc. of the world, but I don’t want to known as the Cradle of WalkOns or Den of WalkOns. Yes, we have 4 stars that have not worked out absolutely, but we have seen a big difference in our team, when they do, like Rondale, David, George, etc.

If we are going to be competitive in the BT, we need to have some David Bells of the world to do this.

So if Brohm signs another top 25 class like 2019 will you be convinced that the guys at the top of the class will be the team leaders 2-3 years later? Recruiting is important, of course. But with all the busts, injuries, and now the portal, I'm done projecting the future. That's what #9 was about.
With Portal, Purdue will still be fighting for talent with the same contenders as the high school talent, it can be a shortcut to mature and more ready young men to contribute. There will be $$$'s that plays into this as well. I hope Purdue can find OL and develop them which seems to be challenging to say the least with injuries to players that end up hanging up the cleats. We've been snake bitten long enough. Changes in this coming off season need to happen to make a step forward on two fronts (OL and Def) or we get left behind.

I get that and even buy it to an extent, but, the idea that Purdue is finding success because of finding walk-ons is more an indictment of their recruiting failures or development ones.

Nothing wrong at all with finding guys that were overlooked...kudos to the kids in those cases, and, in Purdue finding some...but, again...they should be recruiting and developing guys, or, getting guys from the portal.

Whether guys are ultimately leaders 2/3 years down the road is not near as important as having talented guys make their way to West Lafayette, and, then the staff further developing them so that they hopefully are the leaders in the program.

Bottom line, Purdue/Brohm have to find the Rondale Moore's, David Bell's and George Karlaftis' to actually be special.

I may have missed what you were trying to say in thinking that you were suggesting that recruiting is not that important, as I disagree as I said on that...it is important...so is development. To your point, the portal is a way to address failures in both regards...Purdue has already done that to some extent, but, it needs to not only do it more, but, they need to do it better as well.

Agree wholeheartedly and remember the MSU (Drew Brees) game as well. It happens. Players need to heal up and show up for the home stretch.
I was there for it...so, I remember it much like you will remember this weekend...not fondly. The literal only saving grace that day was that Iowa beat Northwestern and Purdue still had a chance to win the conference a week later at home against Indinia.

Purdue obviously still has a chance to win the West or finish on a good note...so, a saving grace again...but, is this team actually better today than it was in week 1 against Penn St.? Are they getting better?

Never mind the obvious difference in talent level of that team in '00 vs this one.

This team has everything to play for still thankfully...I am just not convinced that it can/will rise to the challenge given what we have seen.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
"I am just not convinced that it can/will rise to the challenge given what we have seen."
We have a pattern that repeats and is hard to break at this point. CJB is certainly in a tight spot, but he gets paid the big bucks, so we'll have to see how it plays out.
Iowa has a good enough Defense to get us into a baseball game. I.E. 9-6 much like 3 of their earlier games this year.
Buckle up, face forward and keep your hands in the roller coaster at all times. It might be a rough ride.

A devastating loss would be one which eliminates Purdue from BT title contention. We have to beat Illinois. Even if we would have beaten Wisconsin, to control our destiny, we’d have to beat Illinois. So nothing really changes in my mind.

One other note: it seems like Purdue is Mockobee’s dream school.

white out was this past saturday.

yea, that 19 class, we have like 1/2 of that class currently on the team, brutal

A devastating loss would be one which eliminates Purdue from BT title contention. We have to beat Illinois. Even if we would have beaten Wisconsin, to control our destiny, we’d have to beat Illinois. So nothing really changes in my mind.

One other note: it seems like Purdue is Mockobee’s dream school.
wish he'd get a screen pass thrown his way. Common play but don't see it used much.

wish he'd get a screen pass thrown his way. Common play but don't see it used much.
Screen wouldnt have done much against Wisconsin, they were rushing 4.

I think he did get a couple in the Maryland game.

ADVERTISEMENT