ADVERTISEMENT

I was wrong

Level 42

Senior
Jan 9, 2020
So I am big enough to admit hat I was wrong in supporting NE and his mom on this forum for so long. Now that is not to say I wouldn't do it again for anyone that wants to be at Purdue, but in this case I was wrong to devote so much time of my life defending those two.

If you don't want to be at Purdue then good riddance I say. You've effectively tarnished the good things you did here based on what I have to believe here is some very bad advice from people around you.

Down the road if somehow we meet up in the tourney with whatever team NE ends up on, like say Western Michigan, we'll know how to defend the greatest practice shooter of all time, just sag off of him and let him shoot the 3 or foul him and watch him brick those shots.

His defense will be missed sure, but with what is ready to go now and coming in, it will quickly be forgotten. That I have no doubt.

One positive side of this is that it hopefully leaves this board less divided than it was since a certain someone has no need to be here anymore.

i don't think anyone didn't like Eastern, the guy gave everything he had for the team, yes he couldn't shoot from outside, but he did what he could to win. I guess he feels like his playing time this coming year will be fewer minutes and wants to play. I appreciate the comments his mom made on the board, gave us a lot of insight on things. Good luck to the guy, thanks for the time at Purdue.

i don't think anyone didn't like Eastern, the guy gave everything he had for the team, yes he couldn't shoot from outside, but he did what he could to win. I guess he feels like his playing time this coming year will be fewer minutes and wants to play. I appreciate the comments his mom made on the board, gave us a lot of insight on things. Good luck to the guy, thanks for the time at Purdue.

I don't think you were wrong. IMO there is no place to bash Purdue student athletes, this board or anywhere else. We can call out their mistakes and weaknesses but it needs to be done in a respectful way.
Treed was a little over bearing at times but she was, for the most part, respectful of others on here.
Nojel had a special relationship with his mom. IMO Treed has given him bad advice in this instance.
He may think by sitting out a year to develop more of an offensive game. I doubt a year will do the trick but I wish him luck.

So I am big enough to admit hat I was wrong in supporting NE and his mom on this forum for so long. Now that is not to say I wouldn't do it again for anyone that wants to be at Purdue, but in this case I was wrong to devote so much time of my life defending those two.

If you don't want to be at Purdue then good riddance I say. You've effectively tarnished the good things you did here based on what I have to believe here is some very bad advice from people around you.

Down the road if somehow we meet up in the tourney with whatever team NE ends up on, like say Western Michigan, we'll know how to defend the greatest practice shooter of all time, just sag off of him and let him shoot the 3 or foul him and watch him brick those shots.

His defense will be missed sure, but with what is ready to go now and coming in, it will quickly be forgotten. That I have no doubt.

One positive side of this is that it hopefully leaves this board less divided than it was since a certain someone has no need to be here anymore.

You weren't wrong. Lots of us supported Nojel. He seemed like a good guy that played hard. That is what we want in a player. He played great Defense and probably won us some games on that ability. However, he was a huge liability offensively.

He is choosing another path that he thinks is better and I wish him luck. I think he will be hard pressed to get whatever he is looking for somewhere else.

You would hope that everyone would support our players no matter how well they do on the court or fields. We as fans should take pride in how well our student athletes represent our university.

However, we know this is not going to happen with every fan, and there are certain fans that are more vocal than others, but that is the world we live in. It is made worse with social media, and it will continue to get worse.

I don't think you were wrong. IMO there is no place to bash Purdue student athletes, this board or anywhere else. We can call out their mistakes and weaknesses but it needs to be done in a respectful way.
Treed was a little over bearing at times but she was, for the most part, respectful of others on here.
Nojel had a special relationship with his mom. IMO Treed has given him bad advice in this instance.
He may think by sitting out a year to develop more of an offensive game. I doubt a year will do the trick but I wish him luck.
It was hard, because even the most balanced, analytical reviews of his performances would draw a knee-jerk, mama bear type reaction from Treed. Then you had trolls dropping in to try to inflame the situation....Glad it’s over.

The way things are set up, kids are almost encouraged to move on to the NBA or transfer. NE was fine. Decent human being. Good player.

Somebody thought that he was MJ along the way. Obviously, he’s not. Maybe he finds his way. He’s got a lot of work to do.

Purdue fans expect a lot. But... Mackey is special because of the passion. Don’t be ashamed that you care. Just try and treat people right.

The way things are set up, kids are almost encouraged to move on to the NBA or transfer. NE was fine. Decent human being. Good player.

Somebody thought that he was MJ along the way. Obviously, he’s not. Maybe he finds his way. He’s got a lot of work to do.

Purdue fans expect a lot. But... Mackey is special because of the passion. Don’t be ashamed that you care. Just try and treat people right.

There was nothing wrong with defending him. I defended him until the Western Michigan shirt debacle. It was clear to me at that point that he didn't want to be at Purdue. And his mom being on this board talking about his mental struggles, predicting his future greatness, and defending every little criticism of his play was ridiculous at best. He was clearly getting bad advice.

Nojel is still a Boilermaker to me. From everything I saw, he did things on and off the court the right way. Yes, his offense struggled. But, we sure didn't mind having him for the 2019 run.

I just wish the players and their parents would ignore public forums like this. Nothing good can come of it, IMO. Yes, we all need to be able to handle criticism in our lives, but I sure wouldn't like the shareholders of my (public) company watching my day-to-day work and giving their input. Especially now in these work-from-home days! I'm over 50 and still hate receiving cristicism, but I handle it better now than my 18-22 year old self.

Nojel is still a Boilermaker to me. From everything I saw, he did things on and off the court the right way. Yes, his offense struggled. But, we sure didn't mind having him for the 2019 run.

I just wish the players and their parents would ignore public forums like this. Nothing good can come of it, IMO. Yes, we all need to be able to handle criticism in our lives, but I sure wouldn't like the shareholders of my (public) company watching my day-to-day work and giving their input. Especially now in these work-from-home days! I'm over 50 and still hate receiving cristicism, but I handle it better now than my 18-22 year old self.

Most of it is triggered by opposing fan bases who act like Purdue fans. It is tough when posters are anonymous.

Not sure what the NBA forums are like but I’m sure this is small scale in comparison.

Reactions: Purdue85

Nope, when he decided to transfer his senior year at the last minute, he's no longer a Boilermaker. I have no ill will toward him. But I won't include him in my thoughts as a Boilermaker.

As others said, nothing wrong with supporting and defending Nojel during his time here. By all accounts he was a good kid and teammate.

Treed, on the other hand, wore out her welcome here pretty fast IMO. I quite enjoyed her posting the first year; it offered unique insight and perspective. It turned for me after his freshmen year when she posted threatening him to transfer. Freaking terrible thing to throw out on social media / message boards! I don't care that she deleted the posts, enough people saw them.

Then during the 18-19 season (and some during this past year) she posted complaints that Painter wasn't running enough high-ball screens for him or featuring him enough in the offense. Ugg lady! For chissake, in 18-19 the Boilers had one of the greatest scorers in school history (Carsen) and one of the better 3 point shooters in school history (Cline). Where did she expect the offense to run through?

And this year, Nojel got his chance to be featured more, and she still blamed coach...made me ill to read her continued drivel. She'd also frequently post her opinion, and say it was FACT. Anyway, I bit my lip (as other's did) and refrained from posting to her.

I feel for Nojel because that's some of the worst examples of a helicopter parent ever. Really glad she won't be posting on here anymore. Lastly, I think Purdue's message boards are rather tame compared to other schools. And if Nojel does ever make it to the NBA, look out -- fans are completely ruthless at the pro level. I can only imagine her arguing with hundreds of people at a time on social media / message boards and blaming yet another coach. Brutal man, just brutal. Her posts were super cringe.

I have always thought that she doesn’t completely understand er the difference between facts vs opinions and rights vs privileges.

I have always thought that she doesn’t completely understand er the difference between facts vs opinions and rights vs privileges.

Agreed. BTW, i'd meant for my post to be in the other thread, thus moved it. But yeah man, I don't think she is fully aware of the difference of facts and opinions. To her, when she posted it, it was FACT and when others would post, it was OPINION. Lol, but uggg.

Agreed. BTW, i'd meant for my post to be in the other thread, thus moved it. But yeah man, I don't think she is fully aware of the difference of facts and opinions. To her, when she posted it, it was FACT and when others would post, it was OPINION. Lol, but uggg.

Yep, exactly. She’d always say “it is my God-given right to post on here” ... which is literally not true if she ever meant it seriously. Even if it was true it is more opinion than fact. Always struck me as odd that she didn’t get that no one on here has the “right” (God-given or otherwise) to be here.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Most of it is triggered by opposing fan bases who act like Purdue fans. It is tough when posters are anonymous.

Not sure what the NBA forums are like but I’m sure this is small scale in comparison.

I mean, were there trolls, yes. But she went after people that were perfectly fine Purdue fans that have been posting for years. I was called "sexist" and had some other insults thrown at me once because we didn't agree on something basketball related and she was using rather aggressive language.

It's just not worth any family member's time to spend posting on message boards trying to defend their kid (even when you said positive things, her response was often still aggressive). I directly posted this to her that I didn't feel there was anything to gain from it, so I'm not just pulling it out now that she's gone.

The behavior wasn't healthy and it's funny to see people mention she brought insight to the board. I'm not sure what exactly that insight was, it was a lot of talking in broad strokes but didn't really pan out.

In the future, I hope people realize that if someone is on a public message board as a family member, it's probably not their place to give insight, and there shouldn't be a leniency on their etiquette because of who someone is. I'm sure the coaches despised it.

After listening to Painter it sounds like the two Portal transfers didn't work very hard in practice on their weaknesses and thought maybe thought PT would come from being who they were. Haarms had his injuries to overcome and not a perimeter player I think he wanted to be and Nojel a Rodman type of player with very good defense and rebounding but a liability shooting on a team that needed scoring. When Matt suggests that maybe someone was in their ear that is coaching talk for it happened but he cannot just come out and say it so. I betting the players let their feelings hurt the team chemistry despite the hustle and efforts in most games. When Evan came around Matt's PT dove same with Hunter and others taking Nojel's. Unless Nojel finds his shot he better get used to spot minutes or play on a team that is so loaded they don't need any offense from him! My two cents worth!

I mean, were there trolls, yes. But she went after people that were perfectly fine Purdue fans that have been posting for years. I was called "sexist" and had some other insults thrown at me once because we didn't agree on something basketball related and she was using rather aggressive language.

It's just not worth any family member's time to spend posting on message boards trying to defend their kid (even when you said positive things, her response was often still aggressive). I directly posted this to her that I didn't feel there was anything to gain from it, so I'm not just pulling it out now that she's gone.

The behavior wasn't healthy and it's funny to see people mention she brought insight to the board. I'm not sure what exactly that insight was, it was a lot of talking in broad strokes but didn't really pan out.

In the future, I hope people realize that if someone is on a public message board as a family member, it's probably not their place to give insight, and there shouldn't be a leniency on their etiquette because of who someone is. I'm sure the coaches despised it.

The insight was filled with parental bias which is different from the fam bias that we all share. The division occurred because she was a Nojel fan on a Purdue fan site and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Amen...

Excellent post.
I too had run ins with her including just earlier this week. Like clock work, some "sheriff's" would come to her rescue and one even called me a Jackass for calling her out. Another suggested she should be given special treatment because she was a players parent. Both of those posters are now singing a different tune. She brought zero insight worth anything. Everything was biased and in some cases down right inaccurate. Glad she is gone, board is better for it.

May I ask what reason was provided for him as a team captain wearing a western Michigan tshirt to a press conference?

I ask because I was the parent of a college athlete who was forbidden by his coach and school to wear any other school’s clothes at all times and forbidden to wear any other shoe company’s gear in public! I trust Purdue had a similar policy.

I have to believe there had to be a reason. Can somebody please tell me the truth rather than delete the thread like your usual process?

Striving for decency and civil discourse is never wrong. Many of us have bruises on our tongues from biting down so often.
Until yesterday this parent was a part of the Purdue family, and regardless of her judgment or actions deserved to be treated as such.

Striving for decency and civil discourse is never wrong. Many of us have bruises on our tongues from biting down so often.
Until yesterday this parent was a part of the Purdue family, and regardless of her judgment or actions deserved to be treated as such.
another...

Home_run_2_large.jpg

You mean as far as you know he was still a Boiler. This player was gone long ago. Yesterday was not the first time he had decided to transfer, it was only when he decided to announce. Treed was on here as late as Sunday arguing with a poster. Pretty classless as far as I’m concerned. Nojel waited until classes were over to announce his transfer. Guarantee he had decided long ago to transfer. About 2 weeks ago someone on here had flat asked her or stated that it sounds like Nojel isn't coming back and she never replied to it. And we all know that she replied to everything relating to Nojel. He was gone.

There is something we in coaching call mom-goggles. This is when a mom can’t see what the player really is , or where their skill level is really at. Maybe once only a handful of mid majors come calling and the NBA guys laugh at him declaring for the draft will she finally take those goggles off. I seriously doubt it tho, because As far as she could see nothing was ever Nojel’s fault. It was either the bad offense , or the alleged off the court problems he was having. None of those have anything to do with him having the worst shooting form for a guard that has EVER played at Purdue. And by the way her being on here running her mouth is going to flat hurt his recruitment. Very few schools are going to bring in a player with his lack of offensive end talent that comes with a parent that is this big of a problem. I’m Excited for the Dudes that are still on the team and glad the two “Selfish “ guys are gone. Boiler Up !!!

After listening to Painter it sounds like the two Portal transfers didn't work very hard in practice on their weaknesses and thought maybe thought PT would come from being who they were. Haarms had his injuries to overcome and not a perimeter player I think he wanted to be and Nojel a Rodman type of player with very good defense and rebounding but a liability shooting on a team that needed scoring. When Matt suggests that maybe someone was in their ear that is coaching talk for it happened but he cannot just come out and say it so. I betting the players let their feelings hurt the team chemistry despite the hustle and efforts in most games. When Evan came around Matt's PT dove same with Hunter and others taking Nojel's. Unless Nojel finds his shot he better get used to spot minutes or play on a team that is so loaded they don't need any offense from him! My two cents worth!

Not to stir the pot, but Eastern isn't even close to the player Rodman was in college. in his first season, Rodman, after not playing basketball in HS and then dropping out of his first school, he averaveg 26ppg and 13rpg, As a junior, Rodman averaged 26.8ppg and 15.9 rpg. As a Senior, he 24.4 and 17.8.

You mean as far as you know he was still a Boiler. This player was gone long ago. Yesterday was not the first time he had decided to transfer, it was only when he decided to announce. Treed was on here as late as Sunday arguing with a poster. Pretty classless as far as I’m concerned. Nojel waited until classes were over to announce his transfer. Guarantee he had decided long ago to transfer. About 2 weeks ago someone on here had flat asked her or stated that it sounds like Nojel isn't coming back and she never replied to it. And we all know that she replied to everything relating to Nojel. He was gone.

There is something we in coaching call mom-goggles. This is when a mom can’t see what the player really is , or where their skill level is really at. Maybe once only a handful of mid majors come calling and the NBA guys laugh at him declaring for the draft will she finally take those goggles off. I seriously doubt it tho, because As far as she could see nothing was ever Nojel’s fault. It was either the bad offense , or the alleged off the court problems he was having. None of those have anything to do with him having the worst shooting form for a guard that has EVER played at Purdue. And by the way her being on here running her mouth is going to flat hurt his recruitment. Very few schools are going to bring in a player with his lack of offensive end talent that comes with a parent that is this big of a problem. I’m Excited for the Dudes that are still on the team and glad the two “Selfish “ guys are gone. Boiler Up !!!
Like I said, regardless of their words or actions, striving to treat those within the family with grace and respect is never "wrong". Follow the golden rule, etc., etc. Not everyone subscribes to that philosophy in every situation, and I can't really hold that against them. But it isn't "wrong" to strive to keep the peace, even if someone is acting foolishly.

The transfer doesn't "justify" anybody for getting into arguments with Treed or for nasty comments about her or Nojel. Not any more than verbally abusing your kid or spouse is justified when they are out of line.

Like I said, regardless of their words or actions, striving to treat those within the family with grace and respect is never "wrong". Follow the golden rule, etc., etc. Not everyone subscribes to that philosophy in every situation, and I can't really hold that against them. But it isn't "wrong" to strive to keep the peace, even if someone is acting foolishly.

The transfer doesn't "justify" anybody for getting into arguments with Treed or for nasty comments about her or Nojel. Not any more than verbally abusing your kid or spouse is justified when they are out of line.
I would agree for the most part. Someone said and I would agree my lip was also sore from biting it so hard wanting to blast her on here at times. She really had those MOM goggles on and refuses to see reality. If your kid is getting a D in Algebra it isn’t an A no matter how bad you want it to be. But if you are a parent of a player and decide to put yourself in EVERY discussion about your son then you are opening yourself up to being criticized. She really never added much and it was pretty much the same response. “He’s home now , he’s good now because he’s home and away from basketball” “He had some off the court stuff affecting his play” I mean he either has some mental problems that he needs to get professional help for, or he’s just an old fashioned head case. Either way it is nice that we won’t see her on here anymore and we all as Boilers can move forward with the guys that want to be here.

Most D1 players and parents of D1 players are told emphatically to stay off these boards. I Knew a player at a different school a couple of years ago that the coach brought in his office. He emphatically said your Dad is on the message boards , get him off of them. Let’s just say that was the last day that dad was on them , at least last day he was posting. Nojel’s mom was doing nothing , but hurting him.

All the players and coaches know that these boards exist. Each team has a coach that is responsible for monitoring these type boards and all the players and recruits social media accounts. The way Painter came out yesterday was not off the cuff , or a knee jerk interview. I’m sure there is much much more negative behind the scenes that went on that we will never know about. He handled it the way he did , because even tho they weren’t saying bad things directly on the way out the door. By saying you want to play in NBA and going elsewhere to do so is a big backhand slap at the program.

“You want to be a Pro then Work like a Pro”. Bingo Coach Painter and Boiler up

I would agree for the most part. Someone said and I would agree my lip was also sore from biting it so hard wanting to blast her on here at times. She really had those MOM goggles on and refuses to see reality. If your kid is getting a D in Algebra it isn’t an A no matter how bad you want it to be. But if you are a parent of a player and decide to put yourself in EVERY discussion about your son then you are opening yourself up to being criticized. She really never added much and it was pretty much the same response. “He’s home now , he’s good now because he’s home and away from basketball” “He had some off the court stuff affecting his play” I mean he either has some mental problems that he needs to get professional help for, or he’s just an old fashioned head case. Either way it is nice that we won’t see her on here anymore and we all as Boilers can move forward with the guys that want to be here.

Most D1 players and parents of D1 players are told emphatically to stay off these boards. I Knew a player at a different school a couple of years ago that the coach brought in his office. He emphatically said your Dad is on the message boards , get him off of them. Let’s just say that was the last day that dad was on them , at least last day he was posting. Nojel’s mom was doing nothing , but hurting him.

All the players and coaches know that these boards exist. Each team has a coach that is responsible for monitoring these type boards and all the players and recruits social media accounts. The way Painter came out yesterday was not off the cuff , or a knee jerk interview. I’m sure there is much much more negative behind the scenes that went on that we will never know about. He handled it the way he did , because even tho they weren’t saying bad things directly on the way out the door. By saying you want to play in NBA and going elsewhere to do so is a big backhand slap at the program.

Wonder if CMP has had these guys read “Outliers” by Malcolm Gladwell. Specifically the part about doing something for 10,000 hours to become great at it. Carsen and Biggie are probably there, or on their way at least.

Reactions: JRowdy20

I’m a fan of this post

Reactions: JRowdy20
Treed is someone else’s problem now! Be surprised if she ever returns to our boards.

Nojel, I’m mostly bummed he won’t get a Purdue degree. He’s going to need it.
I actually mentioned the Purdue degree deal to Treed a few weeks ago, and she seemed to indicate it was a priority... guess not.

I actually mentioned the Purdue degree deal to Treed a few weeks ago, and she seemed to indicate it was a priority... guess not.

Anyone know what he was studying? I know many on here were assuming he finished his degree but that was evidently wrong

Not to stir the pot, but Eastern isn't even close to the player Rodman was in college. in his first season, Rodman, after not playing basketball in HS and then dropping out of his first school, he averaveg 26ppg and 13rpg, As a junior, Rodman averaged 26.8ppg and 15.9 rpg. As a Senior, he 24.4 and 17.8.

NAIA stats…just sayin’

May I ask what reason was provided for him as a team captain wearing a western Michigan tshirt to a press conference?

I ask because I was the parent of a college athlete who was forbidden by his coach and school to wear any other school’s clothes at all times and forbidden to wear any other shoe company’s gear in public! I trust Purdue had a similar policy.

I have to believe there had to be a reason. Can somebody please tell me the truth rather than delete the thread like your usual process?
So, is he going to Michigan or Western Michigan? I've read both on here.

I would like to echo this sentiment. I supported both Nojel and his mom here at the expense of some of the rest of you. It is now obvious to me I was misguided and I’m excited to watch the Paint Crew destroy any confidence Nojel might have gained back in two years.

Reactions: IUhaterade
I would like to echo this sentiment. I supported both Nojel and his mom here at the expense of some of the rest of you. It is now obvious to me I was misguided and I’m excited to watch the Paint Crew destroy any confidence Nojel might have gained back in two years.

Thank you for your candor.

ADVERTISEMENT