ADVERTISEMENT

I think its obvious...

Emartin70287

Sophomore
Nov 17, 2015
We miss Kendall Stephens, and what he brings to Purdue. It was great to see him on the sidelines against Maryland, I was more expecting to see him return at a home game. I don't know any insider information, but I think this could mean he makes his return Tuesday vs Michigan State. Here are a few observations I've noticed since being bereft Kendall Stephens:
Vs Iowa Purdue looked strong in the first half, but faded similar to the Maryland game. Iowa shot lights out from 3, and Kendall's long arms are good at protecting the 3, one of his best advantages defensively, he even gets the occasional 3 pointer block. While Purdue shot 39% from three, hammons/haas only have 8 shot attempts, Stephens is probably the 2nd or 3rd best passer to the post. Also because he obviously keeps the defense honest. We miss plenty of opportunites here to get our centers going.
Vs Minnesota Purdue really struggled to defend against Minnesota's gaurds, they drove to the basket, passed in the paint for easy buckets, we miss his defense here, something that he hasn't even been known for. MN went right at cline, and he just didn't seem ready to defend them. This doesn't happen with Kendall in there. Barely squeak by.
Vs Nebraska Purdue played great offensively, and shooting the three at 58%, but again, missing his defensive skill. This was a home game, and we got some favorable calls that helped Hammons play a monster game, but even when Purdue stretched the lead, Nebraska was always on the cusp of crawling back into it. Defense works as a unit, and they gave up a lot of points.
Vs Maryland, this game was pretty similar to Iowa, except Purdue shot terrible from the three. Against Iowa PJ got open attempts, teams have now figured he has to be guarded, taking away a decent threat when open, and PJ struggles to create his own offense. Without Kendall, they can lock down our 2 or 3 reasonable three point shooters, and they did just that at Maryland. Kendall's numbers have been down this year, but he makes the entire offense more deadly, and more efficient. If Kendall is on the floor, PJ gets more open looks, Hammons has a better chance of getting fed, or fouled. Sometimes we need more than 2 serviceable three point shooters to stretch the defense, and even a bad Stephens shot, at 30 to 35% calculates to 45 to 52.5 for a two pointer. Now, onto Michigan State:
Maybe we see Kendall's return, he shoots his first three, it goes in, and the crowd goes nuts, his teammates are inspired, play pissed off, and pull off one of their best wins this year. Like the shot against Penn State, his return brings them back.

Reactions: nagemj02
We miss Kendall Stephens, and what he brings to Purdue. It was great to see him on the sidelines against Maryland, I was more expecting to see him return at a home game. I don't know any insider information, but I think this could mean he makes his return Tuesday vs Michigan State. Here are a few observations I've noticed since being bereft Kendall Stephens:
Vs Iowa Purdue looked strong in the first half, but faded similar to the Maryland game. Iowa shot lights out from 3, and Kendall's long arms are good at protecting the 3, one of his best advantages defensively, he even gets the occasional 3 pointer block. While Purdue shot 39% from three, hammons/haas only have 8 shot attempts, Stephens is probably the 2nd or 3rd best passer to the post. Also because he obviously keeps the defense honest. We miss plenty of opportunites here to get our centers going.
Vs Minnesota Purdue really struggled to defend against Minnesota's gaurds, they drove to the basket, passed in the paint for easy buckets, we miss his defense here, something that he hasn't even been known for. MN went right at cline, and he just didn't seem ready to defend them. This doesn't happen with Kendall in there. Barely squeak by.
Vs Nebraska Purdue played great offensively, and shooting the three at 58%, but again, missing his defensive skill. This was a home game, and we got some favorable calls that helped Hammons play a monster game, but even when Purdue stretched the lead, Nebraska was always on the cusp of crawling back into it. Defense works as a unit, and they gave up a lot of points.
Vs Maryland, this game was pretty similar to Iowa, except Purdue shot terrible from the three. Against Iowa PJ got open attempts, teams have now figured he has to be guarded, taking away a decent threat when open, and PJ struggles to create his own offense. Without Kendall, they can lock down our 2 or 3 reasonable three point shooters, and they did just that at Maryland. Kendall's numbers have been down this year, but he makes the entire offense more deadly, and more efficient. If Kendall is on the floor, PJ gets more open looks, Hammons has a better chance of getting fed, or fouled. Sometimes we need more than 2 serviceable three point shooters to stretch the defense, and even a bad Stephens shot, at 30 to 35% calculates to 45 to 52.5 for a two pointer. Now, onto Michigan State:
Maybe we see Kendall's return, he shoots his first three, it goes in, and the crowd goes nuts, his teammates are inspired, play pissed off, and pull off one of their best wins this year. Like the shot against Penn State, his return brings them back.

Kendall brings a lot of positive things with his play. He's a pretty good defender, he has good length, he's a 3 point threat that defenses stay true to, he's one of our better post-feeders, etc.

Considering he started practice again the week of the Maryland game, I didn't expect to see him play. But would be really nice to see him get some time on Tuesday!

Reactions: nagemj02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT