ADVERTISEMENT

I really still believe we started the season with 7 guys who had proven to be big ten starters at kick off of Oregon state

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
Here’s what I’d go with of what I think will return next year

QB Oconnell
RB Doerue
TE Durham
WR Wright
WR Thompson
WR Sheffield
C Hartwig
OT Miller
OT Craig

Leo Jenkins
NT Johnson
DT Deen, Lewis
LB Graham
CB Trice
FS Allen
SS Grant
CB Brown

that’s 18 guys, 9 on each side, that I’d be ready to go with if we played penn state right now. It’s not that others haven’t shown signs.. it’s more been about time starting and likely off-season development. Here are guys where I’ve seen enough or in one case know enough that I wouldn’t be surprised to see them there this coming fall..

RB James
WR Rice
WR Yaseen
WR Burks
TE Miller
OT Moussa
OG Holstege
OG Mbow
DE Sullivan
DE Anderson
DT Boyd
LB Saunders
LB Wahlberg
LB Karlaftis
S Jefferson
DB Kane

wow! What player development! My apologies if I missed anyone

worth noting I don’t anticipate seeing Mackey, Alexander or Mitchell back but I’d love to have them.. we’d be even better.

there’s no game this team should be heavily favored to lose next year with another good offseason. Oconnell will be feared. I think he’s qualitatively our best QB since Brees. We should open up ranked hosting penn state

the future is bright

Last edited:

QB Oconnell
RB Doerue
TE Durham
WR Wright
WR Sheffield
C Hartwig
OT Miller
OT Craig

Leo Jenkins
NT Johnson
DT Deen, Lewis
LB Graham
CB Trice
FS Allen
SS Grant
CB Brown

that’s 17 guys, at least 8 on each side, that I’d be ready to go with if we played penn state right now. It’s not that others haven’t shown signs.. it’s more been about time starting and likely off-season development. Here are guys where I’ve seen enough or in one case know enough that I wouldn’t be surprised to see them there this coming fall..

RB James
WR Rice
WR Yaseen
WR Burks
TE Miller
OT Moussa
OG Holstege
OG Mbow
DE Sullivan
DE Anderson
DT Boyd
LB Saunders
LB Wahlberg
LB Karlaftis
S Jefferson
DB Kane

worth noting I don’t anticipate seeing Mackey, Alexander or Mitchell back but I’d love to have them.. we’d be even better.

there’s no game this team should be heavily favored to lose next year with another good offseason. Oconnell will be feared. I think he’s qualitatively our best QB since Brees. We should open up ranked hosting penn state

the future is bright

Is Thompson back next year?

Biggest issue I see next year is getting pressure on the opposing QB. We don't have anyone close to Karlaftis and that was apparent in the bowl game...

Reactions: boiler44
@purduepat1969 im curious .. do you think my list of big ten caliber contributors is accurate? Who do you anticipate stepping into that group if anyone? I think on offense I think that Miller, James, Burks, Mbow, Moussa and Holstege will all step it up as well as Rice or Yaseen if healthy. On defense I think Karlaftis, Saunders, Wahlberg and Anderson will all step their game up. This isn’t cause I know about any of them per se, but more because of the major uptick in development of players

@purduepat1969 im curious .. do you think my list of big ten caliber contributors is accurate? Who do you anticipate stepping into that group if anyone? I think on offense I think that Miller, James, Burks, Mbow, Moussa and Holstege will all step it up as well as Rice or Yaseen if healthy. On defense I think Karlaftis, Saunders, Wahlberg and Anderson will all step their game up. This isn’t cause I know about any of them per se, but more because of the major uptick in development of players
I would agree with who you have listed. I don't remember all the transfers. But I think we'll have some good players there in the secondary.

QB Oconnell
RB Doerue
TE Durham
WR Wright
WR Thompson
WR Sheffield
C Hartwig
OT Miller
OT Craig

Leo Jenkins
NT Johnson
DT Deen, Lewis
LB Graham
CB Trice
FS Allen
SS Grant
CB Brown

that’s 18 guys, 9 on each side, that I’d be ready to go with if we played penn state right now. It’s not that others haven’t shown signs.. it’s more been about time starting and likely off-season development. Here are guys where I’ve seen enough or in one case know enough that I wouldn’t be surprised to see them there this coming fall..

RB James
WR Rice
WR Yaseen
WR Burks
TE Miller
OT Moussa
OG Holstege
OG Mbow
DE Sullivan
DE Anderson
DT Boyd
LB Saunders
LB Wahlberg
LB Karlaftis
S Jefferson
DB Kane

the future is bright
Is Lawrence Johnson back next year? I'm assuming he's eligible?

QB Oconnell
RB Doerue
TE Durham
WR Wright
WR Thompson
WR Sheffield
C Hartwig
OT Miller
OT Craig

Leo Jenkins
NT Johnson
DT Deen, Lewis
LB Graham
CB Trice
FS Allen
SS Grant
CB Brown

RB James
WR Rice
WR Yaseen
WR Burks
TE Miller
OT Moussa
OG Holstege
OG Mbow
DE Sullivan
DE Anderson
DT Boyd
LB Saunders
LB Wahlberg
LB Karlaftis
S Jefferson
DB Kane

the future is bright
If Mershawn Rice can stay healthy, I see him having a breakout year. Too much talent and physical gifts there for him not to be effective.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
My Verne lunquist intro ..

“The line left to right Moussa, who they are excited about, Holstege, Hartwig the nice center, Mbow and Cam Craig, you’ll see Eric Miller often.

Milton Wright who came on late before missing the bowl due to academics is on one side, TJ Sheffield, Mershawn rice.. the running backs will be a platoon of King Doerue and Sampson James, Doerue out there.. Payne Durham the tight end

And the Quarterback, the third rated passer in America last year and former walk-in … Aidan Oconnell..

It’s 2nd and 2 from the Purdue 33…”

Reactions: Tommaker
“And now the Purdue defense.. Sullivan, Deen, Johnson and Jenkins up front .. you’ll see a lot of depth there today..

Yanni Karlaftis the redshirt freshman and brother of George starting outside with Wahlberg and the best player on this defense Jalen Graham.

the secondary Brown, Marvin Grant, Cam Allen and Trice who joins Graham as preseason all big ten. 1st and ten for the nittany lions …”

Reactions: buffboiler
My Verne lunquist intro ..

“The line left to right Moussa, who they are excited about, Holstege, Hartwig the nice center, Mbow and Cam Craig, you’ll see Eric Miller often.

Milton Wright who came on late before missing the bowl due to academics is on one side, TJ Sheffield, Mershawn rice.. the running backs will be a platoon of King Doerue and Sampson James, Doerue out there.. Payne Durham the tight end

And the Quarterback, the third rated passer in America last year and former walk-in … Aidan Oconnell..

It’s 2nd and 2 from the Purdue 33…”
God damn you’re bored.

I’m confident in what we have coming in from the portal too. We have a good base of depth and still need some stars to round it out. A hot start next year would help in recruiting too.

Happy with where the program is at. Can get better. Can also get worse. I think the portal will help us consistently plug holes where depth might be the issue.

God damn you’re bored.

I’m confident in what we have coming in from the portal too. We have a good base of depth and still need some stars to round it out. A hot start next year would help in recruiting too.

Happy with where the program is at. Can get better. Can also get worse. I think the portal will help us consistently plug holes where depth might be the issue.
Yes I am.. gym all day .. i think most of what I read is so far beyond irrelevant that I get a pass. Watch the Malik Hornsby thread go 9 pages

Yes.. by the way to be fair I have conceded that you and others were right and I was a dunce
I don’t read every thread or post so obviously missed it. I think Purdue has been lucky that we have lost very few contributors to the portal and it’s mostly been guys leaving who either weren’t playing or didn’t want to be here.

Definitely worked out in the positive for us with who we have brought in I would say.

I don’t read every thread or post so obviously missed it. I think Purdue has been lucky that we have lost very few contributors to the portal and it’s mostly been guys leaving who either weren’t playing or didn’t want to be here.

Definitely worked out in the positive for us with who we have brought in I would say.
I’ve said many times that the tough love I got from a lot of Purdue fans early in the season allowed me to realize I don’t know everything and just enjoy it

Reactions: pboiler18

Also I agree.. I think Purdue may benefit from the new landscape as much as anyone

Lost few contributors, but it always stings to see scholarship positions go to waste.

It seems that out of each recruiting class we get about 5-10 guys that pan out as starters. A similar number never see the field. The balance round out the depth chart and special teams. When you get a higher number of recruits that pan out and can then also replace the ones that transfer out with upgrades from the portal, things work out and you have an opportunity for quality depth. When that doesn't happen you have years like 2019 and 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCfanatic2020
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT