ADVERTISEMENT

I mean no disrespect to last year's talent

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
But the way these guys play as a team makes Purdue BB fun to watch. Individual talent will win you games but as we saw last year, shut down that talent, talent has an off night, or opponent marginalize your talent then you are hurting.

How do you shutdown Purdue? You have a dominant play in Edey relieved by Furst who can knock down the 3. You have aggressive PG play that attacks the rim and dishes it, selflessly. You have 2-4 who move the ball, selflessly make the extra pass, and consistently knocks down the 3. You have a bench that goes another 4-5 players deep to give a break, bring intensity.

Wow, is it fun to be PURDUE fan today!

Last edited:
The results from last year and the early receipts from this year are extremely telling...its just crystal clear.

The obvious takes in terms of what this team has and what last year's had and didn't have could honestly be written up in exhaustive essay form.

At the same time...... this team isn't always going to be turn it on like they have the past week.
There was a time against Gonzaga when it looked like it might be a rout the other way.
Despite all our skilled players they aren't the quickest bunch and i see a team with a lot of speed giving us the most trouble (as usual).
Lots of guys have opinions about force feeding Zack so much but I think they miss the open shots that creates for other guys when they double him. If throwing the ball to any 1 of the 5 on the floor means that someone else gets an open look, you go there all night long.

It has more to do with Painter than anything. Ivey is easily one of the most talented players to put on a Purdue jersey. I don't think Painter is comfortable having a star like that. There is a difference in coaching one. This roster just fits Painter a lot better. You give a guy like Ivey the keys, you'll get somewhere. He did it with Edwards and finally got to an Elite 8.

Defenses are going to improve as the season goes on and rosters mesh. I think this team could be bothered some by perimeter pressure, maybe more so without a clear late clock bucket guy like Ivey. The perimeter pressure will be compounded in games where the officiating doesn't protect Zach in the lane. Everything is a trade off. Very good team basketball, inside outside, fundamentally sound but less dangerous in transition and in late clock. Reminds me a little of the 2017-18 team.

Keep going 10 deep. Even if teams find a 3-5 minute defensive answer and/ or Whizzo cries enough to get a key player in foul trouble, our depth could still overcome all of it. Gonzaga and Duke players were dead tired at the end of our games. This team is different. Hopefully Paint let’s them all play, as he has to date.

The players are buying into their roles, and they hustle and play defense.

We had horrible 3 point perimeter defense last year, even if we played a semi zone defense from time to time (I know a Painter bad word). We were slow to defensive assignments, which left shooters to pick us apart.

Duke was like 2 out of 19 on 3s. Sure, some of that was missing shots, but a lot of that was getting into position to contest shots or put a hand or body in their face, so they were not left completely wide open.

The 3 point defense is one of the biggest positive things I have noticed so far in the first few games year over year.

It has more to do with Painter than anything. Ivey is easily one of the most talented players to put on a Purdue jersey. I don't think Painter is comfortable having a star like that. There is a difference in coaching one. This roster just fits Painter a lot better. You give a guy like Ivey the keys, you'll get somewhere. He did it with Edwards and finally got to an Elite 8.
I don’t think it’s so much that Painter is uncomfortable with a star as much as it is that Painter does really well with players who stay true to their assignments and the game plan. This year’s team is very well connected because they are all on the same page offensively and defensively.

I hate to say it, but I think we have a team that Bob Knight would have had in championship teams of the 80’s. We have all the indiana Mr. Basketballs who aren’t superstars maybe but all with really good basketball understanding. They play hard nosed defense and can score. We were never in this position with Keady because we just never won the best in state talent but now we are getting it and they know how to win. Then you have painter who knows how to coach with that and it makes for something special. Hopefully it translates into the tournament.

I don’t think it’s so much that Painter is uncomfortable with a star as much as it is that Painter does really well with players who stay true to their assignments and the game plan. This year’s team is very well connected because they are all on the same page offensively and defensively.
As far as college, Carsen a was more versatile player than Jaden and every bit as important as Jaden in "college". Jaden did not go high in the draft based upon his basketball results, but his potential in a slightly different game. In USA basketball Matt has coached a lot of talent, but last year would have been a nightmare for any coach if the coach desires the team to reach its potential. Sometimes, that is the way it is...

ADVERTISEMENT