ADVERTISEMENT

I love this team.

enjoy any Purdue team
but have not had this "feel" since maybe the baby boiler teams.
They seem to click and gel so well.

This team/train has some soul

TFfrw6.gif

enjoy any Purdue team
but have not had this "feel" since maybe the baby boiler teams.
They seem to click and gel so well.

This team/train has some soul

TFfrw6.gif
What amazes me with this team is the chemistry for such a young team with so many newcomers. The ball movement last night was as good as I have seen at Purdue. Not only are they always moving, but they are moving and passing intelligently and making it almost impossible to guard Zach Edey.

I loved the Baby Boilers like every other PU fan. But this team has me feeling like I did for the 94-95 team. Big Dog was gone and there were a lot of questions about what that team would be able to do. A collection of good players came together and won the B1G and ended the season ranked #12 in the country. That has always been my favorite PU team and I'm starting to get some of those same feelings for this group.

Still early in the year and we will take our lumps. But this teams potential for growth is so exciting. Two starting freshman guards are winning against strong competition. Not many teams can say that.
Yeh, I wonder how many grasp that unusual state of their game. You expect a freshman backcourt combo to struggle at times (and they will) but you absolutely do in their first big games against top competition.
Instead they came out and played top flight ball. Wowsa......

I agree partly in that we had a really great team that I loved (my freshman year) so this is no knock. However, you look at that team’s forwards after Zo. JJ and and Herb Dove. They were two of my favorite players but there weren’t going to be great three point shooters for you. Great defenders they were. Awesome athletes yes, but you didnt have to worry about them lighting you up from outside. Every position besides edey has an outside shooter who can just light you up. I absolutely loved our 94/95 team, but i think this one is to be loved in a similar way but it is different. I honestly do not think we have seen a team like this. Even baby boilers. Top to bottom we are stacked in a way I havent seen in my lifetime. More specifically, players who get off on defense who can also score all the way around.
I loved the Baby Boilers like every other PU fan. But this team has me feeling like I did for the 94-95 team. Big Dog was gone and there were a lot of questions about what that team would be able to do. A collection of good players came together and won the B1G and ended the season ranked #12 in the country. That has always been my favorite PU team and I'm starting to get some of those same feelings for this group.I loved the Baby Boilers like every other PU fan.

I agree partly in that we had a really great team that I loved (my freshman year) so this is no knock. However, you look at that team’s forwards after Zo. JJ and and Herb Dove. They were two of my favorite players but there weren’t going to be great three point shooters for you. Great defenders they were. Awesome athletes yes, but you didnt have to worry about them lighting you up from outside. Every position besides edey has an outside shooter who can just light you up. I absolutely loved our 94/95 team, but i think this one is to be loved in a similar way but it is different. I honestly do not think we have seen a team like this. Even baby boilers. Top to bottom we are stacked in a way I havent seen in my lifetime.
The depth of this team will be the difference maker this year. When you bring guys like Newman, Furst, and TKR off of the bench, you know you have a stacked team...

The depth of this team will be the difference maker this year. When you bring guys like Newman, Furst, and TKR off of the bench, you know you have a stacked team...

Stacked for sure.......Smith and Edey are keys....our depth allows different people a chance to be their third wheel scoring wise. Smith doesn't even have to score to bring his importance. Our depth also tires out our opponents, Gonzaga was gassed at the end.

Last edited:
The other thing I love about this team, I think I will get to unignore a bunch of people this year because every one of us on this board is seeing that this team is full of hard working kids with no ego and are feeling great about every one of them. I think optimists and pessimists alike all love this team.

I am amazed at all of our guards. Morton has been playing amazing. Newman is so quietly good in every way. Loyer shocked me because he can drive too. And smith, he was born to run point and I think he will be our best point guard ever, even surpassing porter roberts when done.

All our guards were lost & sped up for the first 9 minutes. Just played awful to start doing everything at a Helter skelter pace. Took them awhile to adjust to Gonzaga's athletism.

Once Smith & Loyer slowed down we were fine.

I was more impressed by Morton in half 2. In the first half he did not look like he belonged on the floor.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I agree, and also think it might be the most fun team to watch since the Baby Boilers... Good call
I might add a resemblance to another team that I saw back in 78, 79, and 80 Duke. They were a young team w/ Gminski at C, Banks, Spanarkel, and Dennard. They had a chemistry, play D, and dove for any loose ball.

The other thing I love about this team, I think I will get to unignore a bunch of people this year because every one of us on this board is seeing that this team is full of hard working kids with no ego and are feeling great about every one of them. I think optimists and pessimists alike all love this team.
bunch of talented kids w/ no prima donnas. Like back in the day when I watch the Suns, were fun to watch because they played team ball, then they thought acquiring Charles B would put them over the top. It didn't

Reactions: Ashaath2016
I am amazed at all of our guards. Morton has been playing amazing. Newman is so quietly good in every way. Loyer shocked me because he can drive too. And smith, he was born to run point and I think he will be our best point guard ever, even surpassing porter roberts when done.
Newman needed the PT, Smtth is already good Porter was solid.

Not sure i have seen a purdue team that plays with this much intensity on defense and also have offense. Always before, we have had players who played great defense but their offense was sub standard. Our guards are making all the difference in the world because they are pressuring.
Haven't had a team like it since Kramer. This team fights hard the entire game. With our depth we will wear down a lot of teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT