ADVERTISEMENT

I know this sounds cheap and dishonest, but.....

Jul 9, 2015
I saw the title in the premium forum about some of the most important running back recruits we have landed. Just wondering what some of the names were. Was Jimmy Smith on the list, or did they not go back that far? Seems an interesting topic.

Why would you ever think this post would be a good idea?

For the life of me, I cannot begin to understand....
Multiple choice ?

The number of posts on all GBI forums since its inception that weren't a good idea:

a) less than 10,000
b) between 10,001 - 50,000
c) between 50,001 - 100,000
d) a whole bunch
correct answer: d)

Multiple choice ?

The number of posts on all GBI forums since its inception that weren't a good idea:

a) less than 10,000
b) between 10,001 - 50,000
c) between 50,001 - 100,000
d) a whole bunch
correct answer: d)
And regardless of the answer, your earlier post clearly belongs...

Reactions: Purdue85
If you would be so kind as to post a list for me of the unwritten rules of posting on college football internet forums, the do's and don'ts, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I suppose I might be running the risk of having to deal with a " x 3 ". Thx again.

Reactions: bananabucket
background: there's only a few yrs. to go b-4 we have the 50th anniversary of Jimmy Smith's brief Purdue career. At that time, I had 3 frat brothers who were on the team. Word privately got around eventually that Jimmy was found to have about 4th grade reading skills, together with an SAT score that was,perhaps, record-breaking for a Purdue scholarship earner. This info. made it into the public domain, to an extent, later on. Jimmy, of course, also possessed tremendous ball-carrying skills, so it was obviously a shame that his inability to do academic work brought his career to an end. So it is with profound regret that I offer you and Purdue85 my apologies for bringing this story up again, after all of these years, in my post. I know Purdue85 expressed his absolute incredulity that I would post in this manner, so I'll be extra careful going forward.

Incorrect.

Don't be so dramatic.

It was in bad taste. Just own it and move on. No need to trash the dude.

Reactions: 70boiler
If you would be so kind as to post a list for me of the unwritten rules of posting on college football internet forums, the do's and don'ts, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I suppose I might be running the risk of having to deal with a " x 3 ". Thx again.

Can't do that.

As you wrote, they're unwritten. Rightfully so. But, there's good news. Those rules aren't hard to find. Just search for the following: Common Sense; Discretion; Prudence; Discernment; Decency ... Wisdom.

Incorrect.

Don't be so dramatic.

It was in bad taste. Just own it and move on. No need to trash the dude.
I just DID own it, did I not ?? I'm trying to figure out what you meant by "incorrect"...that was in reference to what, may I ask ? 85, maybe I should just go back & read each & every one of your 14,188 posts. I have no doubt that common sense, discretion, prudence, discernment, decency and wisdom will be on infallible display for me and for all of us who ever needed your guidance.

Your humble Free Board/football contributor

I just DID own it, did I not ?? I'm trying to figure out what you meant by "incorrect"...that was in reference to what, may I ask ? 85, maybe I should just go back & read each & every one of your 14,188 posts. I have no doubt that common sense, discretion, prudence, discernment, decency and wisdom will be on infallible display for me and for all of us who ever needed your guidance.

Your humble Free Board/football contributor

If being a smart ass means you owned it, then you owned it.

Congrats on owning it.

Since no one will hint at some of the names, and I, not knowing how far back the article referenced, will say Armstrong, Dierking, Pruitt, Augie, Smith, Alstott, Joey Harris, Hunt, Bolden....just off of the top of my head.

Good taste is not just restricted to message board posts....Pretty simple concept.

Good taste is not just restricted to message board posts....Pretty simple concept.
Yeah, pretty simple. I think we can all agree on that. Lots of positive human attributes are likewise not confined to message boards. More agreement.

background: there's only a few yrs. to go b-4 we have the 50th anniversary of Jimmy Smith's brief Purdue career. At that time, I had 3 frat brothers who were on the team. Word privately got around eventually that Jimmy was found to have about 4th grade reading skills, together with an SAT score that was,perhaps, record-breaking for a Purdue scholarship earner. This info. made it into the public domain, to an extent, later on. Jimmy, of course, also possessed tremendous ball-carrying skills, so it was obviously a shame that his inability to do academic work brought his career to an end. So it is with profound regret that I offer you and Purdue85 my apologies for bringing this story up again, after all of these years, in my post. I know Purdue85 expressed his absolute incredulity that I would post in this manner, so I'll be extra careful going forward.

Wish they had a dislike button. You would own the record!

You never trash a Boilermaker for in doing so it is trash you become!
In reading an almost incalculable number of posts, over the years, on GBI boards that have had their share of vicious and vile personal destructive attacks on people, I suppose I'm still a little surprised that a half-century ago SAT reference apparently hit the one nerve ending that brings about your all-time worst rating for my post.

Last edited:
You never trash a Boilermaker for in doing so it is trash you become!

make sure you inform Gold member Hunk Golden of that concept ! he loves to trash other Boilermakers! A personal attack is NEVER warranted.

You've exceeded the time limit for responding to a dumb post.

15 yard penalty and loss of down.
Plus, I'm just about ready to post a story from a Purdue student who enrolled in 1869 after confessing to lying on his entrance application !! Second worst post ever !!!

Responding to a post from June 17 ? Thx. Maybe someone should double-check all your posts from 6/17/19 on to make sure they're all ON-point and ON-topic.
Relax. You didn't commit a crime. There's no statute of limitations. For reasons only you know you just made a pointless and thoughtless comment. As I read the rest of the thread, I see that others pointed it out.

Relax. You didn't commit a crime. There's no statute of limitations. For reasons only you know you just made a pointless and thoughtless comment. As I read the rest of the thread, I see that others pointed it out.
And two weeks, I guess, wasn't a long enough period of time to point out pointless and thoughtless. Sooo,...I should maybe expect the last of the criticism what, next February, or so ? No problem.

I rarely back off.

I never "rolled over".
Surely you haven't even begun to bring out the heavy artillery in responding to the June 17 post. Like you just mentioned....this won't be the rare occasion that you'll back off b-4 the job is done.

Thanks for the article IndySouthsider. As a 90's Purdue guy, I knew little to nothing about the Jimmy Smith story before this thread really. Sad tale but at least this article shows that some people can and do work to turn their life around for the better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT