ADVERTISEMENT

I know this is a FB forum, but...

Jul 9, 2015
Did anyone watch last night's Carmel-Ben Davis HS BB Championship? Most of you may already know this, but Ben Davis has a MASSIVE 6'8" center, Jones. Reportedly going to OSU to play O-Line. 2 questions: How did we let him get away? (2) Can he be a 2-Sport stud? He sure looks the part to me. Sort of a cross between Orlando Pace and Courtney James (Ben Davis, class of '95 BB and U Minnesota recruit.)

Sometimes I am confused by Purdue's philosophy in recruiting offensive linemen. Here is a guy who is coveted by Ohio st, and we're not even interested? OSU has a passing attack and a running attack. What about this guy makes him somebody who would not fit into Purdue's system?

This is not the first time Purdue has seemed to pass on really huge offensive lineman that other top 10 teams covet. If they're good enough for a different top 10 team, why not us? I'd sure like to be a top 10 team. I'd sure love to have OSU recruits.

Sometimes I am confused by Purdue's philosophy in recruiting offensive linemen. Here is a guy who is coveted by Ohio st, and we're not even interested? OSU has a passing attack and a running attack. What about this guy makes him somebody who would not fit into Purdue's system?

This is not the first time Purdue has seemed to pass on really huge offensive lineman that other top 10 teams covet. If they're good enough for a different top 10 team, why not us? I'd sure like to be a top 10 team. I'd sure love to have OSU recruits.

....we destroyed OSU.

Just sayin'.

I get where you're coming from, but I would defer to Brohm's staff to determine best fit.

Reactions: Flot and ChuckJr
Combining this thread with the other one, I will be extremely disappointed if Cronk leaves IU and goes somewhere else besides Purdue.

What evidence do you have that neither CMP or CJB did not try to recruit him and what evidence do you have that he was even open to consideration of Purdue?

What evidence do you have that neither CMP or CJB did not try to recruit him and what evidence do you have that he was even open to consideration of Purdue?
My evidence is second hand based on the comments made here by posters who claim to be experts with inside connections and knowledge.

Should I challenge their knowledge?

There were several elite lineman last year that received offers from other big ten schools but not Purdue. When I asked why not, the experts here informed me they did not fit the mold of what Brohm was looking for. He was too big or not mobile enough or various other reasons.

My conclusions are if a player does not receive an offer, the coach is not really interested as there are many players we give offers out to.

And this creates my confusion. If a player is good enough for OSU, Iowa, and UW, shouldn't Purdue also be interested?

I trust the opinions of some when expressed on this board. My inside information comes from them. If my conclusions are wrong, they are based on what I read from others. And the the conclusion you can draw from that is maybe the people I trust on this board as being experts are no more knowledgeable than myself.

My evidence is second hand based on the comments made here by posters who claim to be experts with inside connections and knowledge.

Should I challenge their knowledge?

There were several elite lineman last year that received offers from other big ten schools but not Purdue. When I asked why not, the experts here informed me they did not fit the mold of what Brohm was looking for. He was too big or not mobile enough or various other reasons.

My conclusions are if a player does not receive an offer, the coach is not really interested as there are many players we give offers out to.

And this creates my confusion. If a player is good enough for OSU, Iowa, and UW, shouldn't Purdue also be interested?

I trust the opinions of some when expressed on this board. My inside information comes from them. If my conclusions are wrong, they are based on what I read from others. And the the conclusion you can draw from that is maybe the people I trust on this board as being experts are no more knowledgeable than myself.

We beat Ohio State the only time we played them with CJB at the helm. We beat Iowa both times we played them with CJB as our Head Coach. We lost to Wisconsin by 8 points two years ago and in overtime last year.
I think CJB has earned the right to decide what players he chooses to recruit without being second guessed by fantasy football wannabe’s on a forum who post anonymously!

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
We beat Ohio State the only time we played them with CJB at the helm. We beat Iowa both times we played them with CJB as our Head Coach. We lost to Wisconsin by 8 points two years ago and in overtime last year.
I think CJB has earned the right to decide what players he chooses to recruit without being second guessed by fantasy football wannabe’s on a forum who post anonymously!

I recall Purdue also beat Michigan back in the 70's in a major upset. I still have that Exponent ! To say that Purdue was better than Michigan that year would be a gross overstatement. Was Purdue better than OSU last year? or was it another major upset?

for 2 years, I kept being told, give hazell a chance. he needs time, the cupboard is bare. I refused to accept those excuses.

All I'm saying is brohm has taken this program to new heights that hope and hazell never did, but we're still not a top 25 team yet.

and all I'm asking is if a lineman is good enough for a team like iowa, UW, OSU, mich who have been perennial top 20 teams, shouldn't he be good enough for Purdue? My goal for Purdue is not to see a team with 5,000 yards passing. my goal is to see a team consistently win 9-10 games a year. To me, a win is more exciting than the score or generating 500 yards of offense. Going 6-6 every year is nice, but....

and some of you are starting to sound just like you did during the Hope era, and the first two years of the hazell era.

I prefer to NOT compare Brohm's accomplishments to previous Purdue coaches. I prefer to compare him to his contemporaries and his opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT