ADVERTISEMENT

I hope I'm wrong, but all things considered....

Boiler Mike

Gold Member
Aug 23, 2001
I recognize Brian has already commented on this as a possibility, but the stars further aligned today adding fuel to the speculation for the Brohm's to head south. Louisville is 4-3 and will only be projected to win one more game likely finishing 5-7.....head coach is likely fired. Louisville makes another run at the Brohm family. Jeff takes a look at the 2023 schedule just released today (needless to say gets much tougher relative to this year) and sees us as an underdog in at least half the games if not more.....with a young QB. Looking at Louisville's 2023 schedule, it's a heck of a lot more manageable than ours. I would hate to see it, but all things considered I believe the chances of Jeff heading to Louisville just went up.

Brohm has been one of the longest serving Purdue coach. He’s taken Purdue to three bowl games and won 2 of them! At the end of this year, he may even have an overall record over .500. If he beats Iowa and Illinois and nw and Indiana, Purdue will be in the big 10 championship game. You can’t ask for or expect too much more!

he’s opened recruiting pipelines and brought back a winning attitude. And he has Purdue headed to a 4th bowl game this year! He basically has nothing more to prove at Purdue.
there will be many schools besides just Louisville interested in him. If he leaves, he leaves behind a legacy that is better than 95% of the previous Purdue coaches.

saying all that, if he goes 8-4 or 9-3 with a bowl victory, I wouldn’t give him a new contract or get in a bidding war to keep him. Going 8-4 is sort of the expectation for the salary He is receiving. Going 8-4 at a school like Auburn is grounds for being fired!

looking at this team. And with it being AOC’s last year, timing would be right to move elsewhere. Maybe Nebraska will come calling. Who knows!

I recognize Brian has already commented on this as a possibility, but the stars further aligned today adding fuel to the speculation for the Brohm's to head south. Louisville is 4-3 and will only be projected to win one more game likely finishing 5-7.....head coach is likely fired. Louisville makes another run at the Brohm family. Jeff takes a look at the 2023 schedule just released today (needless to say gets much tougher relative to this year) and sees us as an underdog in at least half the games if not more.....with a young QB. Looking at Louisville's 2023 schedule, it's a heck of a lot more manageable than ours. I would hate to see it, but all things considered I believe the chances of Jeff heading to Louisville just went up.
And so what should we do? Petition the BIG 10 for an easier schedule? Join the MAC? Give Brohm a $3 million raise? It’s a free marketplace. If he leaves it’s our opportunity for a coaching upgrade? Brohm may just may have hit his ceiling.

I hold fast to the school of not scheduling multiple P5 OOC opponents

Bowl eligibility is the lifeblood of a P5 also ran program
I said that about 100 times but others here disagreed and started calling me names! They wanted to see Purdue play tough opponents. In bathe end, bowl games look at your record , not your strength of schedule. And most 18 year old recruits choose a school based on their bowl game appearance rather than their strength of schedule.

but there are many die hard posters here that would rather see Purdue play tougher opponents and lose than participate in a better bowl game! Playing a tougher schedule does nothing for the future of your program!!! Look at some of the losers Alabama and Georgia play! A smart Ad would follow their example/lead.

many here criticized IU and Minn for their weak non conference schedules. Look at the bowl games they got and their improved recruiting classes! Teams need to win. The casual fan and 18 year old recruit doesn’t care against who.

it’s like the Packers. Just win and you’ll make the super bowl and nobody cares who you played to get there. Who did cincy beat last year to get in the super bowl? Nobody other than stupid fantasy fans care!

Reactions: WarrenCoBoiler
He's a fighter that lives and plays for the challenge. Dude played a week after a concussion. He sees that schedule and says "Where's Notre Dame?"

I don’t want to lose Jeff but would we hire his brother, Brian, as the HC? Try to keep Hagen as DC with a bump in salary. That would keep some continuity with the players and recruits.

Reactions: Bippus33 and Roeder
I don’t want to lose Jeff but would we hire his brother, Brian, as the HC? Try to keep Hagen as DC with a bump in salary. That would keep some continuity with the players and recruits.
I like it. And I assume you wouldn’t have to pay Brian Jeff’s salary. But you get the same playbook. Between that and buyout money you ought to have a nice assistant coach pool. Go out and get 3 more Hagens.

If he wants to leave, why would you want him to stay?

He either wants to stay and continue to try to achieve at Purdue, or, to your point, he feels that he has hit the ceiling at Purdue and the thought of going home is more meaningful.

If he leaves...he at least brought Purdue to a point where whoever comes in has something to work with, unlike what he inherited largely.

It would be a significant blow to Purdue likely, and, unfortunately, but again...if he wants to leave...then it is irrelevant as to our hopes or thoughts on the matter.

Let's just say hypothetically we win the west and Louisville goes 5-7. I just can't see a competitor like Jeff go to a below average Louisville team after working so hard to build up Purdue, even if it is his hometown.

It would make more sense if Louisville was good to great and the coach left leaving the door open for someone to step into a winning situation. That to me would be much more enticing.

Let's just say hypothetically we win the west and Louisville goes 5-7. I just can't see a competitor like Jeff go to a below average Louisville team after working so hard to build up Purdue, even if it is his hometown.

It would make more sense if Louisville was good to great and the coach left leaving the door open for someone to step into a winning situation. That to me would be much more enticing.
Is that how you would feel about the Purdue job if you were a coach?

It’s well documented all the reasons why Purdue is a better school, and is situated for more success, than Louisville. But if a school is in your blood, then throw logic out the window.

i do like the thought of Brian brohm being the successor. Remember he beat Iowa in 2020.

"if" Jeff Brohm does leave, maybe the new coach would get better assistants, i have always felt a coach can only do well with good assistants. While there have been good assistant coaches here, there are also some that aren't good when it comes to results

"if" Jeff Brohm does leave, maybe the new coach would get better assistants, i have always felt a coach can only do well with good assistants. While there have been good assistant coaches here, there are also some that aren't good when it comes to results
I've often wonder if there are some good assistants out there that won't work with Jeff because of this personality. He seems like not the easiest guy to work for.

Brohm is NOT going to use the schedule next season as a reason to leave, IF he does. If anything, Brohm seems to prefer challenging schedules.

And so what should we do? Petition the BIG 10 for an easier schedule? Join the MAC? Give Brohm a $3 million raise? It’s a free marketplace. If he leaves it’s our opportunity for a coaching upgrade? Brohm may just may have hit his ceiling.
Yes, you do throw more money at him to keep him. He's brought Purdue out of the depths of football hell. He's been a savior for the program and you need to keep a guy like that. Yes, he's got to improve the DB play, get more playmakers on O, but with NIL and the portal, he's got a good story to tell to transfers who can make in immediate impact. (probably the entire secondary could be replaced with new starters from the portal on day 1)

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?

It's also important to consider where Purdue will be financially with the new B10 TV deal and the fact that Lville could be left in no mans land.

Just kind of looking on Brohm to Louisville rumors. Saw some recent comments from Ville fans and I'm not all that sure that Brohm would be their #1 choice.

One poster showed Satterfields record over the first 4 years at Louisville and compared to Brohms first 4 at Purdue. Neither one is good.

Mentioned the OC at Atlanta being a good choice. Think I may have seen ole Coach O's name as well, who actually might be a guy pretty interested in Louisville. Brian Brohm may be higher on their list than Jeff as well.

In any event, my opinion (Purdue biased) is the time for CJB to Louisville was back a few years when both parties had equally high interest and you could say the Louisville football team was in better shape than Purdue's. My guess is that the interest has waned on both sides since then. I think the only way Jeff Brohm goes to Louisville is if its more of a last stop at the end of his coaching career.

WF had 8 TO’s and I believe 6 in the 3Q where Louisville put up 35 points.
the UofL D punished the Wake QB.
A small nugget if you watched that game also. Wake had the ball in the red zone with 2 seconds left in the half. They decided to go for the TD instead of taking 3. They missed of course. Who knows what kind of momentum got flipped based on that play alone. I don't understand what coaches are thinking these days in those types of situations.

A small nugget if you watched that game also. Wake had the ball in the red zone with 2 seconds left in the half. They decided to go for the TD instead of taking 3. They missed of course. Who knows what kind of momentum got flipped based on that play alone. I don't understand what coaches are thinking these days in those types of situations.

Teams are just a lot more reckless it appears. I don't think I've ever seen what happened in that third quarter from Wake Forest - six turnovers. Then, two more in the 4thQ......here's Wake's first nine possessions of the second half:

Interception (returned for TD)
Fumble
Fumble
Interception
Fumble
PUNT!
jump4joy.gif

Interception (returned for TD)
Fumble
Interception

For those thinking the overall college game has been somewhat diluted.....some evidence yesterday.....two top 10 teams go on the road and get beat badly in Wake's loss and Oklahoma State (#9) getting shut out 48-0 @ #22 Kansas State in a complete embarrassment for the Cowboys.

Reactions: pboiler18
thought Day should have took the 3 before half of the psi game yesterday, didn't hurt at he end though

Rumor is Brohm went to Kentucky after the game on Saturday. My guess we are looking for a coach by end of this week. I'm told there isn't much of an appetite to give him more to stay.

Rumor is Brohm went to Kentucky after the game on Saturday. My guess we are looking for a coach by end of this week. I'm told there isn't much of an appetite to give him more to stay.
He has extended family living there. Dozens of reasons he could have gone there for the weekend. Ig he leaves, he leaves, but I don't think that is evidence of anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT