ADVERTISEMENT

I have been posting about Spain through my wife's eyes. Well, I met the team!

Jul 1, 2016
I drove from Evansville to Indy to pick Kathy up at the airport. Kathy wanted to introduce me to the team, coaches, managers, and Morgan and Elliot. Kathy was near the back of the plane so before I saw her, Isaac walked off listening to music. He saw my Purdue shirt but just made eye contact. I reached out my hand and said "Hi Isaac. My wife Kathy was on the trip with you." He got a big smile on his face, took out his ear buds and shook my hand. Well, more accurately he shook my hand, forearm, and half my upper arm! I said thank you for taking care of Kathy. He said no problem and that he really liked her. As he then moved on towards baggage pickup I recognized Vince. He had his music in and hood up. I said the same thing to him, that my wife Kathy was on the trip. He said "Oh yeah. She said you would be here. You should have come along!" He flipped his hood down and reached out and shook my hand as well. A few passengers behind Vince was a college age man not much bigger than me. He saw my Purdue shirt and he reached out to shake my hand and say "Hi. I am Spike." He and I talked about his Dad's upcoming hip operations, one in September and one in November. I told him I am getting a knew knee next Monday and he said yes, he and Kathy had talked about it. Next person I recognized was Morgan Burke. Kathy must have shown him my picture because he walked right towards me with his hand straight out! He introduced me to Kate, who like me is a Pharmacist. I thanked him for his service to Purdue, and for steering Purdue athletes to success. We were still talking when Kathy walked up. Kathy and I hugged and kissed and continued to talk with the Burkes and another JPC couple. I had brought gifts for the Burkes and the other couple so I passed those out. We all needed to get to baggage claim because they had to catch the Purdue bus. At baggage I got introduced to Elliot and I thanked him for his guidance of the basketball program and for making this trip possible. The Burkes and the Blooms are charming, warm, energetic. I won't bore you with all the team introductions but I was introduced and shook hands with Basil, Caleb, Jon, Ryan, Jacquil, Tommy, Cowan, Nick, Jack Owen, Kenny Lowe. Unfortunately PJ, Carsen, and Dakota were on the other side of the baggage carousel and they slipped out before I could meet them. Not one player, coach or manager acted like they were too busy or too important to give me a handshake, a smile, and a few words about how they enjoyed Kathy on the trip. Kathy herself will probably post tomorrow, but I was so thrilled to find that her opinion is correct. This is a quality team or polite young men who look you in the eye. It made m day!

Thank you again for all the posts about Spain. I really enjoyed reading them and am looking forward to anything you and your wife post in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT