ADVERTISEMENT

I had my doubts...

Cassidy Hardin - averaged 12 mpg in 20-21. 2.8 ppg on 29/28/75 shooting. 8/14 assists/turnovers.

That was my summary of her in the roster thread. Not a ton that suggests she would be a key contributor this season.

I don't think anyone who is not on/with the team had ever seen what she is capable of until this season. That's a testament to the coaching putting players in positions they can succeed.

Hardin is not the only player that's changed my opinion so far this season either. I now think Kyle is a future all-conference player who barely saw the court last season. I didn't have any prior notions of Terry but the first few games this season she really struggled with turnovers to the point I didn't want the ball in her hands and now she is proving to be a playmaker like CKG said she was at the beginning of the season. Woltman is proving to be a valuable rotation player and, frankly, proving to me that she could be a quality starter if our roster didn't require her and Kyle to be our main options in the post and therefore share that position. Lastly, I'm just now starting to see why Moore was a top rated recruit. She can get hot and carry us for stretches of a game like she did in the first half of the Maryland game. I think she is now in the perfect role for her and that Maryland performance may have been just the confidence boost she needed to thrive in that Vinnie Johnson role.

An additional "I was wrong" for me goes to CKG herself. I was not against hiring her but when it became apparent CSV was done I favored either the Marquette coach or Coach Parkinson just because of their D-1 experience as opposed to making the jump all the way from NAIA. In about 40 days and 11 games I've already come to the conclusion that she is the perfect person for this job. Reminds me alot of Coach Painter in that she is showing that she can coach what she has rather than just sit back and wait for "her players" to get here before taking major steps towards winning.

Cassidy Hardin - averaged 12 mpg in 20-21. 2.8 ppg on 29/28/75 shooting. 8/14 assists/turnovers.

That was my summary of her in the roster thread. Not a ton that suggests she would be a key contributor this season.

I don't think anyone who is not on/with the team had ever seen what she is capable of until this season. That's a testament to the coaching putting players in positions they can succeed.

Hardin is not the only player that's changed my opinion so far this season either. I now think Kyle is a future all-conference player who barely saw the court last season. I didn't have any prior notions of Terry but the first few games this season she really struggled with turnovers to the point I didn't want the ball in her hands and now she is proving to be a playmaker like CKG said she was at the beginning of the season. Woltman is proving to be a valuable rotation player and, frankly, proving to me that she could be a quality starter if our roster didn't require her and Kyle to be our main options in the post and therefore share that position. Lastly, I'm just now starting to see why Moore was a top rated recruit. She can get hot and carry us for stretches of a game like she did in the first half of the Maryland game. I think she is now in the perfect role for her and that Maryland performance may have been just the confidence boost she needed to thrive in that Vinnie Johnson role.

An additional "I was wrong" for me goes to CKG herself. I was not against hiring her but when it became apparent CSV was done I favored either the Marquette coach or Coach Parkinson just because of their D-1 experience as opposed to making the jump all the way from NAIA. In about 40 days and 11 games I've already come to the conclusion that she is the perfect person for this job. Reminds me alot of Coach Painter in that she is showing that she can coach what she has rather than just sit back and wait for "her players" to get here before taking major steps towards winning.
Pretty sure Coach Gearlds considers these young ladies "her players". Which is probably a big reason why some are overachieving so far.

That's a testament to the coaching putting players in positions they can succeed.” ..and..
“Reminds me alot of Coach Painter in that she is showing that she can coach what she has rather than just sit back and wait for "her players" to get here before taking major steps towards winning.”

THIS. Agree! Well said. Coupled with her fierce competitive DNA & enthusiasm, you get the feeling these players would go through a wall for her. How refreshing

Well said, TC4Three. Agree with everything you said. It is honest and ethical when we publicly admit to some of our previous posts and attitudes being wrong.

I think something that I've also noticed when watching during games is that CKG has the same staff minus CSV/TK. Every win from here on out is going to be an improvement from a year ago. I truly hope recruits see how much fun this team has on the floor and looks like they have away from the court. It'll be interesting to see how much Purdue goes up in the ncaa rankings once big ten gets going.

Des: Rickie Woltman is going to be the sleeper player of the year for Katie. Katie is giving her an opportunity to play, and she has taken full advantage of it in the first part of the season.
She was at a time a top 10 High School kid, she eventually dropped to the 25-35 range but it was odd that she couldn’t get off the bench here. Glad to see her playing well.

What about the impact the change has had in the highly ranked post player who Versyp virtually ignored for two years.
Lol. Couldn't resist coming back to take one last shot at Coach Versyp. Most of us fans and the team have moved on from the last era and are looking forward to the future.

I think it's great that Rickie Woltman has been playing well and is becoming a big contributor to the team. But you, nor I, have any idea the reason or reasons she didn't play much the past couple years. I do know the times she was on court the last two years she really didn't contribute much.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocRon and TC4THREE
Lol. Couldn't resist coming back to take one last shot at Coach Versyp. Most of us fans and the team have moved on from the last era and are looking forward to the future.

I think it's great that Rickie Woltman has been playing well and is becoming a big contributor to the team. But you, nor I, have any idea the reason or reasons she hasn't played much the past couple years. I do know the times she was on court the last two years she really didn't contribute much.
Given what was going on and wasn’t noticed until almost half the team went into the transfer pattern, we know we had a while bunch of unhappy players. Had it been discovered earlier termination for cause would have beeen the likely outcome and we might not had to hit bottom. Somebody who should have been watching did a very poor job.

Reactions: RBryant311

I think it's great that Rickie Woltman has been playing well and is becoming a big contributor to the team. But you, nor I, have any idea the reason or reasons she didn't play much the past couple years. I do know the times she was on court the last two years she really didn't contribute much.
It's like I said much of the past few years on this board. Those that were complaining the most don't even contribute very much during the season. You can see the people that actually follow the team game to game this season. Some of the biggest complainers are now rarely heard from.

Reactions: Russ Ford
ADVERTISEMENT