ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll take my crow medium-rare.

Where the hell did that come from?? Have you ever been to Iowa City? I'm thinking not.
I have been to Iowa City, and it’s really nice. Great downtown, wonderful restaurants, and great public schools. They have done a nice job developing the River area, and integrating the city center with the university campus. The city is growing nicely, and seems to lack the typical ring of poverty that many Midwest rust-belt cities have. Yes, it is surrounded with corn fields, but the ambiance is substantially better than Lafayette.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
What a lame response. Your argument that started this conversations was that the only thing that matters in recruiting is the coach. Obviously that's ridiculous, the coach has a huge impact but other factors matter as well, so you try to flip the argument and of course pick an example of a team that wasn't even on the original list of that starts with OSU, IU and UofM and continues with IL and Maryland.

We all say stupid shit sometimes but grow a pair and either stop throwing out outlandish statements that have no basis in fact or admit when you're wrong rather than trying to change the narrative in an unsuccessful attempt to appear 'right'.
Sure, other things matter, but nothing matters as much as the head coach.

I have been to Iowa City, and it’s really nice. Great downtown, wonderful restaurants, and great public schools. They have done a nice job developing the River area, and integrating the city center with the university campus. The city is growing nicely, and seems to lack the typical ring of poverty that many Midwest rust-belt cities have. Yes, it is surrounded with corn fields, but the ambiance is substantially better than Lafayette.
Non of which matter to a kid going to a program to play basketball.

When’s the last time you were actually in these cities?

West Lafayette is at least as nice as Iowa City. With better weather.

Sure, other things matter, but nothing matters as much as the head coach.
Coach matters a lot but you’re wrong again. If the coach mattered more than anything you wouldn’t see a coach recruiting higher level players when he moved to a bigger job, which happens all the time. Shrews is an excellent recruiter but he’ll be limited in what he can do in recruiting at PSU. Little Archie wasn’t great at anything but landed much higher profile recruits at IU than he did at Dayton.

Lived there for 5 years. What you describe makes it sound much better than it is. Especially in the context of this discussion. Which is recruiting and location of the school. I'm not suggesting that WL is any sort of destination city, but neither is Iowa City. It's hard in the midwest but I think Madison and Columbus are the best. East Lansing is easily the worst.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Lived there for 5 years. What you describe makes it sound much better than it is. Especially in the context of this discussion. Which is recruiting and location of the school. I'm not suggesting that WL is any sort of destination city, but neither is Iowa City. It's hard in the midwest but I think Madison and Columbus are the best. East Lansing is easily the worst.
How long ago we’re you there? It’s really nice now. In fact, I was pretty impressed. My oldest daughter moved there this summer with her family. We visited, and I was blown away by how nice it was.

How long ago we’re you there? It’s really nice now. In fact, I was pretty impressed. My oldest daughter moved there this summer with her family. We visited, and I was blown away by how nice it was.
We moved back to Indiana 4 years ago and have been back to visit friends since. To each his own. I hope your daughter enjoys it there. Iowa as a rule is a pretty friendly state. Good tailgate for football even with PU gear on. Basketball is pretty mediocre environment especially compared to Mackey. With no pro sports, they really follow their college teams. Wrestling is king, if you don't have cauliflower ears you stand out!

Coach matters a lot but you’re wrong again. If the coach mattered more than anything you wouldn’t see a coach recruiting higher level players when he moved to a bigger job, which happens all the time. Shrews is an excellent recruiter but he’ll be limited in what he can do in recruiting at PSU. Little Archie wasn’t great at anything but landed much higher profile recruits at IU than he did at Dayton.
Look at Rick Barnes at UTenn. I believe he’s landed a 5 star every year he’s been there.
Is he recruiting well because of UT or because he’s Rick Barnes?

Reactions: titaniumbolt
You guys are looking at a location through the view of a grown person, not an 18 year old going to school to play basketball. The 18 yo full ride player in a P5 program doesn’t care about weather, cornfields or flowery meadows to walk through.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Look at Rick Barnes at UTenn. I believe he’s landed a 5 star every year he’s been there.

Both, IMO. He didn't have the same level of recruiting @ Providence or Clemson as Texas or Tennessee.
headscratch.gif

Your statement is so full of fallacies that I don’t know where to start. I get tired you spouting the same shit in every thread. Man-to-man does not “turn the best players away”. Yes, given a stronger support system and the resources at, say OSU or UM, Painter would recruit better. Doesn’t that seem freaking obvious?

Painter works within the Purdue athletic departments constraints. He has an average budget for recruiting, and very little, let’s call it “help”, on the outside. He has average facilities, that are comparatively smaller than the big budget schools. Purdue sits in an environment significantly inferior to places like AnnArbor, Columbus, Iowa City, etc. Painter simply does not deal with middle men, posies, or finders. He has to recruit kids that want to come to Purdue.

:cool:
You just proved my point! Look at the last 20 years! How many top 20 recruits wanted to actually come to Purdue to play for Painter? He’s a well known and respected coach, yet the very best players have zero interest in play for him! Look at all the players he has given offers to that decided to go elsewhere. Without Rosevelt Barnes, would biggie have come to Purdue? Carsen and Obie were nice players but they were not elite players in high school. It comes to a point where Painter doesn’t even try to recruit most of the top players because he knows they have zero interest? And why is that? Purdue’s academic? I doubt it. Purdue’s sororities? I doubt. Not enough money under the table? Players were getting money long before the nil was created. The red bricks? The fan base? The Indiana culture and politics? He coached what’s his face on the world team and he still decided to go to IU. I

I have to believe it’s Painter and his coaching style that turns off the elite athletes! He does the best he can with the athletes he has. But I doubt he will ever be a successful recruiter consistently signing 1-3 top 20 prospects .

Part of that is on Painter. He doesn’t want Purdue to become like UK or mich with a bunch of 1 and done players. He would rather have 4 year players and play team ball. Elite players want to be showcased.

Will TKR be the best player tonight and send Edey to the bench or is that coming next week? Asking for a friend.

What is your basis for saying that Painter's system 'turns all the best players away'? I think Ivey and Carsen were pretty decent. Your friend TKR had a UNC offer. Furst had offers from UVA, MSU and IU. There's zero evidence to indicate that the top / lottery pick type players (although obviously Jaden was a lottery pick) are choosing places like Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc. because of Painter's system.

Wait till the end of the season. Are you going to post that same sentence after every single game? It’s becoming clear the offense Painter wants to employ! He wants it to revolve around Edey! And now reread my original post! When players who come to schools with high expectations do not receive the playing time they expect, they look to the transfer portal at the end of the year. It happened with Haarms, stephens, eastern and Martin. It happened to all the players who transferred to Purdue. It will happen again

Wait till the end of the season. Are you going to post that same sentence after every single game? It’s becoming clear the offense Painter wants to employ! He wants it to revolve around Edey! And now reread my original post! When players who come to schools with high expectations do not receive the playing time they expect, they look to the transfer portal at the end of the year. It happened with Haarms, stephens, eastern and Martin. It happened to all the players who transferred to Purdue. It will happen again
These guys were not the "top players" you are so worried about recruiting. Haarms, Stephens, Eastern, and Martin all transferred to smaller, lesser schools (in terms of basketball) and made almost no impact on the teams they played for. Painter recruited better players in their place. Hence, no big loss. Not the point you are struggling to made here.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
You just proved my point! Look at the last 20 years! How many top 20 recruits wanted to actually come to Purdue to play for Painter? He’s a well known and respected coach, yet the very best players have zero interest in play for him! Look at all the players he has given offers to that decided to go elsewhere. Without Rosevelt Barnes, would biggie have come to Purdue? Carsen and Obie were nice players but they were not elite players in high school. It comes to a point where Painter doesn’t even try to recruit most of the top players because he knows they have zero interest? And why is that? Purdue’s academic? I doubt it. Purdue’s sororities? I doubt. Not enough money under the table? Players were getting money long before the nil was created. The red bricks? The fan base? The Indiana culture and politics? He coached what’s his face on the world team and he still decided to go to IU. I

I have to believe it’s Painter and his coaching style that turns off the elite athletes! He does the best he can with the athletes he has. But I doubt he will ever be a successful recruiter consistently signing 1-3 top 20 prospects .

Part of that is on Painter. He doesn’t want Purdue to become like UK or mich with a bunch of 1 and done players. He would rather have 4 year players and play team ball. Elite players want to be showcased.
What is it? two or three Indiana Mr. Basketballs in a row. I think it's three. Plus the best player in Pennsylvania one year. I don't know what you are so worried about.

What is it? two or three Indiana Mr. Basketballs in a row. I think it's three. Plus the best player in Pennsylvania one year. I don't know what you are so worried about.

Two - Braden Smith (2022) and Caleb Furst (2021)

Pennsylvania (2020) - Ethan Morton

you never know what I'm talking about even when i spell it out for you! I'm talking about top 20 ranked high school athletes. They avoid Purdue like the plague. Painter doesn't even bother recruiting them.

that's great we got a mr. basketball, but what was his ranking? was it even in the top 50? it's great we got Furst and Tkr. were they top 20?

let me spell it out. if a player thinks he's good and has NBA aspirations, and finds himself sitting on the bench or not highlighted on his team, he will look to play for a different team. I provided you four examples of purdue players who knew what their future at Purdue was going to be. Throw in hunter and IT. that's 6. It's not my fault, they all flopped at the schools they transferred too. and that's not my point either.

Look at Kyle Macy. he didn't like sharing guard duties with Eugene parker and Schichting, so he left.

history backs me up. I could provide many examples of players from other teams. if they don't feel the love, they transfer. Duke, Kansas and Uk all lose players .

What I said is Painter will never be able to recruit the top 5 star players. Where's lebron's kid going? It's not Purdue. Did he even think about Purdue? NOOOOOOOOOOOO. and why is that? We're not even in his top 10.
how abou Zion? surely he wanted to come to Purdue, right?
where did tyger campbell go? it wasn't Purdue.

where did Oscar Robertson go? it wasn't Purdue.

Painter recruits a certain type of player. and the vast amjority of the big name recruits don't give him the time of day. And it's NOT about the NIL. Guys like pack negotiated their own NIL deal, as do all the other players bringing in millions. Look at Manning. his dad negotiated his NIL deals, not Texas. stop blaming Purdue for NIL. as eastern's mom said, the money is out there, it always has been . ask the fab 5. sometimes people get caught.

painter does a great job with what he brings to purdue. Is Miles a top 20 prospect? Did any top 20 prospect even consider Purdue. why is that?

you can argue with my spelling and my spacing, and my grammar and the legnth of my posts but you can't argue with history or the facts. even the top 20 prospects Painter tried to recruit signed elsewhere.

look at the past 20 years, and give me 5 names of players who were in the top 20 of their recruiting class when we signed them. and then take a look at NCAA basketball outside of Purdue and see how may unhappy players who didn't get starting time trnsferred. In most cases, transferring was a bad decision. but that's not my point, my point was unhappy players who have aspirations of playing pro ball who are not getting significant minutes, look to transfer to someplace else. LOok at martin going to Notre dame. he would have been a 6th man at purdue and he knew it.

my original post about TKR made two points. the first was i expected him to be Purdue main #1 scoring option this year. he's not. I thought Edey would be like haas and Tre and complement him. that hasn't happened. I thought Gillis would make a great 6th mn and TKR would start. that hasn't happened either. the second point I made was that players who were high profile players out of high school who are not starting and playing significnt minutes tend to look toward transferring to a different school. we've seen it happen at Purdue. Haarms, stephens, and eastern all had pro aspirations when they left Purdue.

I'm just speculating what the future will hold. Players that only play 10 or less minutes tend to move on.

as for top 20 talent, i recall painter was one of the first to recruit Holgrem. I felt sure he was going to come to purdue. that was until another school made him an offer. did he even give us a visit?

it is what it is.

I'm not talking about Indiana Mr basketball or mr Football. I'm talking about real top 20 players. I recall one year a mr Indiana football player didn't receive any division 1 scholarships. You can talk all day about getting a mr beasketball. that doesn't mean they are a top 20 player. Smith will probably play all 4 years at purdue, and that will make purdue fans happy. loyer will play all 4 years at purdue. and this board will sing his praise. this is furst and TKR's second year. One would think if they were so awesome they'd be able to beat out Gillis for playing time.

I'm talking about the real high school prospects. I'm talking about the top 20 prospects. I'm talking about the 5 stars. admittedly, many don't live up to their billing. But most of them do. And the facts remain, they don't even consider Purdue as a choice.

Last edited:
He tied Brian cardinal and Bruce Parkinson at 7 I believe. Not bad for his first game.
I’m just glad we have a guard who can break the press and bring the ball up Jenkins can also i wouldn’t recommend full court pressing against this team

Recruiting is 100% on the head coach, it's got nothing to do with location, weather, co-eds, etc.
And in terms of recruiting skill issue....that's the name of the game. You're either get a majority of your plan A players because you're a great recruiter or you end up with your plan B, C and D because you're an average recruiter.
Nope. Not with NIL. A big part of recruiting can now be in the hands of the people who have always complained the Purdue doesn't get the players that schools with a history of cheating have gotten.

I'm not talking about Indiana Mr basketball or mr Football. I'm talking about real top 20 players. I recall one year a mr Indiana football player didn't receive any division 1 scholarships. You can talk all day about getting a mr beasketball. that doesn't mean they are a top 20 player. Smith will probably play all 4 years at purdue, and that will make purdue fans happy. loyer will play all 4 years at purdue. and this board will sing his praise. this is furst and TKR's second year. One would think if they were so awesome they'd be able to beat out Gillis for playing time.

I'm talking about the real high school prospects. I'm talking about the top 20 prospects. I'm talking about the 5 stars. admittedly, many don't live up to their billing. But most of them do. And the facts remain, they don't even consider Purdue as a choice.
No way I'm reading that entire post, but explain how you think Purdue doesn't get top players because Painter doesn't play NBA style offense, yet you want him to play zone defense. That's bipolar.

Wolegib is a fool who thinks painter can’t recruit because we don’t get 5 star athletes. Paint doesn’t recruit some elite players by choice (such as Langford) and the bigger reason is he is brutally honest with his recruits and doesn’t kiss their arse. This has worked well for him as his guys come in with a hunger to win and prove themselves. This is in contrast to the prima donnas who get their egos stroked in bloomington.

Reactions: mathboy
No way I'm reading that entire post, but explain how you think Purdue doesn't get top players because Painter doesn't play NBA style offense, yet you want him to play zone defense. That's bipolar.

Just ignore him. Makes life here so much better. Trust me, you’re missing nothing but methhead-like drivel.

I’ve been forum tronning since 04 and he’s the one and only person I’ve ever ignored.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Also - petition to change “Bonefish” to “Bonehead”! Harharhar.

Jk Bro-iler, but gottdamm Branden Smith is the T. R. U. T. H.!!! Painter can find those rough diamonds - year in and out.

What a win v the annoying Zags. Half stunned over here. Now let’s take out the d00kies!

Reactions: BoilerAndy
It will be interesting to see if Jenkins fills the void of the 2nd point guard. Smith has a bunch of energy and fitness, but nagging injuries happen during the year. We need a reliable option and I'm hoping Jenkins fits that role. Time will tell.
March success is all about guard play. Who said that Dicky V? Last year we had dysfunctional guard play including you know who. Replace four with two heady basketball smart talents and everything changes. This year will be fun and next year even more so with Furst and TKW getting real minutes this year.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Also - petition to change “Bonefish” to “Bonehead”! Harharhar.

Jk Bro-iler, but gottdamm Branden Smith is the T. R. U. T. H.!!! Painter can find those rough diamonds - year in and out.

What a win v the annoying Zags. Half stunned over here. Now let’s take out the d00kies!
You drunk?

I probably won't post it after every game, maybe every other. Of course if you just admitted that your hot take that TKR will be Purdue's best player as a rs freshman is very unlikely to be right, I'd stop altogether. Trying to position TKR's performance as a result of Painter's preference and not Trey's current level of development is just silliness.

I expect TKR to be an excellent player, so your post about Haarms, Nojel, Stephens, etc. and has little to no relevance for Trey. Other posters have already correctly stated that those players are only relevant comparisons if you think that TKR is not actually that good. All transferred because they wanted a bigger role and all went to lower level schools and still failed to be star players. MP has already said that he expects TKR to be an all conference performer at Purdue and I agree with his assessment.

Do you have an answer for my question as to 'What is your basis for saying that Painter's system turns all the best players away'? Again, Ivey, Carsen, TKR, Furst were all either elite players at Purdue or had very high level offers as recruits and there's zero evidence to indicate that the lottery pick type players are choosing places like Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc. because of Painter's system.

Just ignore him. Makes life here so much better. Trust me, you’re missing nothing but methhead-like drivel.

I’ve been forum tronning since 04 and he’s the one and only person I’ve ever ignored.
He doesn't think before he posts. Stream of consciousness from a scrambled brain.

A question for you. Do you believe Painter would be a better recruiter at IU or Michigan or would he still recruit the same type of players and run the same type of offense and defense and always have a slow big man at center and run the motion offense and man to man defense that turns all the best players away?
Hey Rip Van WInkle - heard of Jujuan Johnson? How young are you that you only remember the past 10 years? Fact is, for MANY years we never had a 7'er of any talent.

you never know what I'm talking about even when i spell it out for you! I'm talking about top 20 ranked high school athletes. They avoid Purdue like the plague. Painter doesn't even bother recruiting them.

that's great we got a mr. basketball, but what was his ranking? was it even in the top 50? it's great we got Furst and Tkr. were they top 20?

let me spell it out. if a player thinks he's good and has NBA aspirations, and finds himself sitting on the bench or not highlighted on his team, he will look to play for a different team. I provided you four examples of purdue players who knew what their future at Purdue was going to be. Throw in hunter and IT. that's 6. It's not my fault, they all flopped at the schools they transferred too. and that's not my point either.

Look at Kyle Macy. he didn't like sharing guard duties with Eugene parker and Schichting, so he left.

history backs me up. I could provide many examples of players from other teams. if they don't feel the love, they transfer. Duke, Kansas and Uk all lose players .

What I said is Painter will never be able to recruit the top 5 star players. Where's lebron's kid going? It's not Purdue. Did he even think about Purdue? NOOOOOOOOOOOO. and why is that? We're not even in his top 10.
how abou Zion? surely he wanted to come to Purdue, right?
where did tyger campbell go? it wasn't Purdue.

where did Oscar Robertson go? it wasn't Purdue.

Painter recruits a certain type of player. and the vast amjority of the big name recruits don't give him the time of day. And it's NOT about the NIL. Guys like pack negotiated their own NIL deal, as do all the other players bringing in millions. Look at Manning. his dad negotiated his NIL deals, not Texas. stop blaming Purdue for NIL. as eastern's mom said, the money is out there, it always has been . ask the fab 5. sometimes people get caught.

painter does a great job with what he brings to purdue. Is Miles a top 20 prospect? Did any top 20 prospect even consider Purdue. why is that?

you can argue with my spelling and my spacing, and my grammar and the legnth of my posts but you can't argue with history or the facts. even the top 20 prospects Painter tried to recruit signed elsewhere.

look at the past 20 years, and give me 5 names of players who were in the top 20 of their recruiting class when we signed them. and then take a look at NCAA basketball outside of Purdue and see how may unhappy players who didn't get starting time trnsferred. In most cases, transferring was a bad decision. but that's not my point, my point was unhappy players who have aspirations of playing pro ball who are not getting significant minutes, look to transfer to someplace else. LOok at martin going to Notre dame. he would have been a 6th man at purdue and he knew it.

my original post about TKR made two points. the first was i expected him to be Purdue main #1 scoring option this year. he's not. I thought Edey would be like haas and Tre and complement him. that hasn't happened. I thought Gillis would make a great 6th mn and TKR would start. that hasn't happened either. the second point I made was that players who were high profile players out of high school who are not starting and playing significnt minutes tend to look toward transferring to a different school. we've seen it happen at Purdue. Haarms, stephens, and eastern all had pro aspirations when they left Purdue.

I'm just speculating what the future will hold. Players that only play 10 or less minutes tend to move on.

as for top 20 talent, i recall painter was one of the first to recruit Holgrem. I felt sure he was going to come to purdue. that was until another school made him an offer. did he even give us a visit?

it is what it is.
I for one, am perfectly happy, with the Bronny James of the world , not wanting to come to Purdue.

Hey what’s his head to head record against Painter in the NCAA tournament?

Both, IMO. He didn't have the same level of recruiting @ Providence or Clemson as Texas or Tennessee.
headscratch.gif
Nailed it, the Barnes illustration makes no sense.

As you stated, Barnes hasn't recruited at the same level at all his stops. He actually illustrates that the school has a huge impact on recruiting and coaches leave even P5 schools to go to places that are 'all in' in supporting basketball.

Will TKR be the best player tonight and send Edey to the bench or is that coming next week? Asking for a friend.

What is your basis for saying that Painter's system 'turns all the best players away'? I think Ivey and Carsen were pretty decent. Your friend TKR had a UNC offer. Furst had offers from UVA, MSU and IU. There's zero evidence to indicate that the top / lottery pick type players (although obviously Jaden was a lottery pick) are choosing places like Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc. because of Painter's system.
I have Woley blocked, but thank you! Great reply

I will take my crow as well. I was super hard on Painter after last season. Well this team he put together this year is soooooo fun to watch. So glad we can drive the ball and play defense again.

ADVERTISEMENT