ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll take my crow medium-rare.

Literally no one considers Purdue to be a top ten program and most don't consider it a top fifteen program. Painter's on court performance has exceeded any realistic expectations.
You're right, Purdue is a solid Top-20-35 program.
Are you happy with that?
Do you think Purdue could/should do better?
How much of that is on Painter?

Gets pretty circular doesn’t it? Painter is making progress but it’s pretty hard to hire the next Coach K.
I agree that Painter has improved his recruiting, but he's been at Purdue for 18 years now. Has he hit his ceiling?

"Ability"? Please elaborate.
Sure;

It seems that because of a variety of factors; style of play (not much NBA-style iso offense), lack of quantity and quality of NBA success (Ivey may help), lack of $$ to players, maybe campus, a lack of good marketing as a 'cool' place to play, or personality, Painter has had very little success getting official visits and commitments from top 50 players. Swanigan had a Barnes direct delivery connection to Purdue - he was the exception. Colvin is a direct delivery too.

After this many years in my opinion Painter recognizes this and has wisely stopped trying to spend much time and travel with national recruits. Hence Waddell, Smith, Furst, Gillis, Loyer, Benter. Painter tries to get in early and hope a 100-150-ish kid overperforms.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Sure;

It seems that because of a variety of factors; style of play (not much NBA-style iso offense), lack of quantity and quality of NBA success (Ivey may help), lack of $$ to players, maybe campus, a lack of good marketing as a 'cool' place to play, or personality, Painter has had very little success getting official visits and commitments from top 50 players. Swanigan had a Barnes direct delivery connection to Purdue - he was the exception. Colvin is a direct delivery too.

After this many years in my opinion Painter recognizes this and has wisely stopped trying to spend much time and travel with national recruits. Hence Waddell, Smith, Furst, Gillis, Loyer, Benter. Painter tries to get in early and hope a 100-150-ish kid overperforms.
Very well said. I agree completely.

The meme that incapsulates this thread with Bone.

255.gif

When Purdue popped into the top 25 earlier this week it marked the eighth straight year that Purdue has been ranked in the top 25. The last time Purdue was ranked in the top 25 for eight straight years? Never. Coach Keady (and Coach Painter in his earlier years) had good teams. But in between the good teams, there were down years. As in finished in the lower half of the B1G and not make the NCAA Tourney down years. What Coach Painter has done in the last decade, in my opinion, is elevate the program. With what we lost from last year's team, arguably this is a "down" year. This team is really enjoyable to watch. If this is a down year, sign me up for all-in fandom of this program.

I remember watching the 1969 team in the NCAA tourney with my father, who was the first in our extended family - of what is now more than 50 from three generations - that have attended Purdue (and many of us met our spouses at Purdue). I was a junior at Purdue in 1980. The professor that I was a TA for offered me his FF tix. I turned him down. Do I regret that decision? Yes. Would I like to see us get to another FF? Of course. But that is not the litmus test for me.

Coach Painter has made us a relevant program. Year in and year out. Coach Painter represents our university with class and dignity. By all accounts, he is highly respected by his peers. By all accounts, he is recruiting young men that are also outstanding representatives of our university. And we are winning at a high level.

For me, it's the journey, not the destination. While some of you chose to complain unless and until Coach Painter gets us to a FF - I'm going to enjoy the ride. And from where I'm sitting, it's a mighty enjoyable ride.

P.S. - I grew up 40 minutes from the Loop. My father and I went to countless games at Wrigley. When the Cubs won in 2016 I was elated. I penned a note to my father and put it, along with a towel from one of the WS games, on his gravesite. My fondest memories as a Cubs fan? The 1969 team. Then the 1984 team. The 2016 team is third, at best. It's the journey, not the destination. Enjoy the ride. Life is too short, and precious, not to.

You're right, Purdue is a solid Top-20-35 program.
Are you happy with that?
Do you think Purdue could/should do better?
How much of that is on Painter?
1) My feelings as a fan have zero impact on reality
2) Could - anything is possible; Should - absolutely no reason to expect the program to be better than it is right now, in fact, unless MP can break through we'll likely look back at this period as a high water mark
3) I have no way to put a percentage on that

Reactions: Do Dah Day
When Purdue popped into the top 25 earlier this week it marked the eighth straight year that Purdue has been ranked in the top 25. The last time Purdue was ranked in the top 25 for eight straight years? Never. Coach Keady (and Coach Painter in his earlier years) had good teams. But in between the good teams, there were down years. As in finished in the lower half of the B1G and not make the NCAA Tourney down years. What Coach Painter has done in the last decade, in my opinion, is elevate the program. With what we lost from last year's team, arguably this is a "down" year. This team is really enjoyable to watch. If this is a down year, sign me up for all-in fandom of this program.

I remember watching the 1969 team in the NCAA tourney with my father, who was the first in our extended family - of what is now more than 50 from three generations - that have attended Purdue (and many of us met our spouses at Purdue). I was a junior at Purdue in 1980. The professor that I was a TA for offered me his FF tix. I turned him down. Do I regret that decision? Yes. Would I like to see us get to another FF? Of course. But that is not the litmus test for me.

Coach Painter has made us a relevant program. Year in and year out. Coach Painter represents our university with class and dignity. By all accounts, he is highly respected by his peers. By all accounts, he is recruiting young men that are also outstanding representatives of our university. And we are winning at a high level.

For me, it's the journey, not the destination. While some of you chose to complain unless and until Coach Painter gets us to a FF - I'm going to enjoy the ride. And from where I'm sitting, it's a mighty enjoyable ride.

P.S. - I grew up 40 minutes from the Loop. My father and I went to countless games at Wrigley. When the Cubs won in 2016 I was elated. I penned a note to my father and put it, along with a towel from one of the WS games, on his gravesite. My fondest memories as a Cubs fan? The 1969 team. Then the 1984 team. The 2016 team is third, at best. It's the journey, not the destination. Enjoy the ride. Life is too short, and precious, not to.
Wow, I don't have the words to express how much I love this post. Thank you for sharing.

Not true.
You might have 5 teams consistently landing loaded classes and those are the bluest blue bloods. The other 15 of the top 20 come and go.
If you can't think of, at a minimum, 10 to 15 programs that recruit better than Purdue, regardless of their coach, I don't know what to tell you.

Overall I agree. I would point out that in 19'-20' we were only ranked in the preseason poll and finished tied 10th in conference. We do have rebuilding years, but they are few and far between.

Overall I agree. I would point out that in 19'-20' we were only ranked in the preseason poll and finished tied 10th in conference. We do have rebuilding years, but they are few and far between.
Finished tied for 10th / 11th that year, but two games out of being tied for 5th and were still an OT choke against Rutgers away from likely making the NCAAT anyway (had it not been cancelled). My only point being that starting in 2014/2015 even the rebuilding years have not been that bad.

Finished tied for 10th / 11th that year, but two games out of being tied for 5th and were still an OT choke against Rutgers away from likely making the NCAAT anyway (had it not been cancelled). My only point being that starting in 2014/2015 even the rebuilding years have not been that bad.
Any time you aren’t in line to make the tournament it’s a bad year. Painter figured out a way to keep that from happening very often though.

Any time you aren’t in line to make the tournament it’s a bad year. Painter figured out a way to keep that from happening very often though.
I don't disagree, but for Duke, Kansas and UNC it's a bad year if you don't win the conference and compete for a FF. It's all relative. I think I'm saying the same thing as you in that if the bar is that in a rebuilding year you still expect to compete for an NCAAT bid, that's pretty good.

Every single one of those things is on Painter. Style, perception, etc.

Here’s a simple question. If Calipari or Izzy or Drew came to Purdue, would recruiting change?

Different people have different expectations. Some people want to reach the top of Everest and will accept nothing else, some are just happy to say they tried.

If you can't think of, at a minimum, 10 to 15 programs that recruit better than Purdue, regardless of their coach, I don't know what to tell you.
Here, I’ll make it easier on you; list the B10 teams who recruit better than Purdue regardless of coach.

Well, now that it's legal, hopefully some billionaire or multimillionaire that's a fan of the program can help us out.
If some billionaire wanted to help us out he would have already been doing it under the table. Eastern’s mom eluded to all the financial incentives her son received

Here, I’ll make it easier on you; list the B10 teams who recruit better than Purdue regardless of coach.
Dude, you are so lazy, htf is that making it easy on me? You're the one saying that the only thing that matters in recruiting is the coach with literally zero facts (as usual) to back it up. If you want to take the approach of looking at the BT, cool, you're the one making the argument, who do you think recruits better than Purdue regardless of coach? There are three obvious ones and in reality at least five.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Dude, you are so lazy, htf is that making it easy on me? You're the one saying that the only thing that matters in recruiting is the coach with literally zero facts (as usual) to back it up. If you want to take the approach of looking at the BT, cool, you're the one making the argument, who do you think recruits better than Purdue regardless of coach? There are three obvious ones and in reality at least five.
I tend to agree. IU, Michigan, OSU, Illinois, and Maryland are probably the easiest Big Ten schools to recruit to. I left out MSU, but only because I give Izzo most of the credit for making MSU a top 10 national recruiting destination. Prior to Izzo, it was overshadowed by Michigan and probably on the same tier as Purdue. I now see Purdue as being on the next tier with Wisconsin and Minnesota. Iowa and Rutgers are probably next, with Penn State, Nebraska, and Northwestern being the hardest Big Ten schools to recruit to.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
A question for you. Do you believe Painter would be a better recruiter at IU or Michigan or would he still recruit the same type of players and run the same type of offense and defense and always have a slow big man at center and run the motion offense and man to man defense that turns all the best players away?

Pa

Inter I think learned something from the 12-13 and 13-14 season. 2 rough years. Although they finished 7th in the B1G in 12-13, they ended up in the CBI tourney. Though they would have missed the tourney in 2020 as well before everything was cancelled. But making the tourney 7 of 10 years is pretty good for Purdue I would say and Painter has figured out what works. Get a dude that's 12 feet tall to help change games.

Michigan, IU, MSU, Illinois, Maryland… just to get the ball rolling.
So, no matter who the head coach is at Purdue, he’ll never put recruit these other schools?
That’s a depressing realization.
Let’s take MSU for example; other than Izzy, what’s their advantage over Purdue?

A question for you. Do you believe Painter would be a better recruiter at IU or Michigan or would he still recruit the same type of players and run the same type of offense and defense and always have a slow big man at center and run the motion offense and man to man defense that turns all the best players away?
I think Painter would be Painter. He seems pretty set in his ways by now. He’d run the offense through the post, play man D, and underachieve in the tourney.
It’s probably why no blue bloods have ever thrown a pile of money at him.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
So, no matter who the head coach is at Purdue, he’ll never put recruit these other schools?
Let’s take MSU for example; other than Izzy, what’s their advantage over Purdue?
Uh. Ever heard of Mat Ishbia or Dan Gilbert?

What a lame response. Your argument that started this conversations was that the only thing that matters in recruiting is the coach. Obviously that's ridiculous, the coach has a huge impact but other factors matter as well, so you try to flip the argument and of course pick an example of a team that wasn't even on the original list of that starts with OSU, IU and UofM and continues with IL and Maryland.

We all say stupid shit sometimes but grow a pair and either stop throwing out outlandish statements that have no basis in fact or admit when you're wrong rather than trying to change the narrative in an unsuccessful attempt to appear 'right'.

Will TKR be the best player tonight and send Edey to the bench or is that coming next week? Asking for a friend.

What is your basis for saying that Painter's system 'turns all the best players away'? I think Ivey and Carsen were pretty decent. Your friend TKR had a UNC offer. Furst had offers from UVA, MSU and IU. There's zero evidence to indicate that the top / lottery pick type players (although obviously Jaden was a lottery pick) are choosing places like Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc. because of Painter's system.

Jud Heathcoat. Remember that “Magic” guy? He had a solid team around him too.

Will TKR be the best player tonight and send Edey to the bench or is that coming next week? Asking for a friend.

What is your basis for saying that Painter's system 'turns all the best players away'? I think Ivey and Carsen were pretty decent. Your friend TKR had a UNC offer. Furst had offers from UVA, MSU and IU. There's zero evidence to indicate that the top / lottery pick type players (although obviously Jaden was a lottery pick) are choosing places like Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc. because of Painter's system.
Wait, don’t be cruel to Wolly. He has his mantra and no amount of facts can change it.

Your statement is so full of fallacies that I don’t know where to start. I get tired you spouting the same shit in every thread. Man-to-man does not “turn the best players away”. Yes, given a stronger support system and the resources at, say OSU or UM, Painter would recruit better. Doesn’t that seem freaking obvious?

Painter works within the Purdue athletic departments constraints. He has an average budget for recruiting, and very little, let’s call it “help”, on the outside. He has average facilities, that are comparatively smaller than the big budget schools. Purdue sits in an environment significantly inferior to places like AnnArbor, Columbus, Iowa City, etc. Painter simply does not deal with middle men, posies, or finders. He has to recruit kids that want to come to Purdue.

:cool:

Your statement is so full of fallacies that I don’t know where to start. I get tired you spouting the same shit in every thread. Man-to-man does not “turn the best players away”. Yes, given a stronger support system and the resources at, say OSU or UM, Painter would recruit better. Doesn’t that seem freaking obvious?

Painter works within the Purdue athletic departments constraints. He has an average budget for recruiting, and very little, let’s call it “help”, on the outside. He has average facilities, that are comparatively smaller than the big budget schools. Purdue sits in an environment significantly inferior to places like AnnArbor, Columbus, Iowa City, etc. Painter simply does not deal with middle men, posies, or finders. He has to recruit kids that want to come to Purdue.

:cool:
Where the hell did that come from?? Have you ever been to Iowa City? I'm thinking not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT