ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Nicole

BoilerMadness

All-American
Jul 7, 2004
I've been in my house riding out Hurricane Nicole all day. It's been largely a nonevent, with only a one hour power outage in the mid morning. Constant wind and rain persist, which creates the biggest problem I'll face today - coaxing my dog into going outside to take care of his business.

Fortunately, I live in the Jacksonville area and for some reason all the hurricanes seem to skirt around this area. The last time I had one impact me was in 2004, when the wind blew down two elm trees in my front yard and my neighbors weeping willow. It's one of the heaviest rainfalls I've ever seen and the ground got so saturated that the roots couldn't hold the trees against the wind. On the plus side, they fell parallel to the street, so I avoided having my house crushed.

I believe I've seen the worst of it, so let the people of Georgia enjoy a good dousing.

Boiler Up!!

I've been in my house riding out Hurricane Nicole all day. It's been largely a nonevent, with only a one hour power outage in the mid morning. Constant wind and rain persist, which creates the biggest problem I'll face today - coaxing my dog into going outside to take care of his business.

Fortunately, I live in the Jacksonville area and for some reason all the hurricanes seem to skirt around this area. The last time I had one impact me was in 2004, when the wind blew down two elm trees in my front yard and my neighbors weeping willow. It's one of the heaviest rainfalls I've ever seen and the ground got so saturated that the roots couldn't hold the trees against the wind. On the plus side, they fell parallel to the street, so I avoided having my house crushed.

I believe I've seen the worst of it, so let the people of Georgia enjoy a good dousing.

Boiler Up!!
I was visiting friends on the gulf coast near Charlotte Harbor when Nicole hit the Atlantic side. Winds picked up and we got quite a bit of rain Wednesday night into Thursday morning but that was it. I was planning to begin driving home to Indiana on Thursday, but delayed my departure until Friday on my Florida friends’ advice and drove thru Florida and Georgia with no problem.

ADVERTISEMENT