ADVERTISEMENT

Hurray for Matt Painter & cheering for Brandon Newman!!!

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001

Kudos to Matt Painter. Last couple of paragraphs says it all. Do it the right way.

I'll remain in the camp If NCAA has no balls to guard rail the buying of players by boosters, then create two leagues (Pro and Amateur Leagues). Let the buying of players go somewhere else (i.e. Miami and others) - to get no education and no discipline either as grades and classes don't matter. A good percentage of these players will not go pro and where will they be? McDonald's at $15/hr asking if you want fries with that sandwich?
The Amateur league where I see Purdue and many other universities will have student athletes that can make some NIL coin, get degrees by: Go to class, pass tests and socially interact with students, professors and administrators within the University to come out ahead.

Let time and space determine which will be better for the longevity of health and safety of the athletes.

He made the comment that a kid could be at 3 schools in 4 years. That is only possible if the kid is sitting out a year between schools 2 and 3. I don't think that is going to be very common.

I really like CMP on the whole. But I think he is going to really struggle with transfers and NIL. Old school guys like him were in a much stronger position when they could hold a kid at their school once they signed. Now that they can transfer without sitting out, the coach doesn't have nearly as much power as he once had. NIL will also continue to be a struggle for him and PU.

Maybe 2 leagues is a good idea. Maybe I'm wrong and PU will find a way to navigate this and come out still competitive. I really hope that is the case.

He made the comment that a kid could be at 3 schools in 4 years. That is only possible if the kid is sitting out a year between schools 2 and 3. I don't think that is going to be very common.

I really like CMP on the whole. But I think he is going to really struggle with transfers and NIL. Old school guys like him were in a much stronger position when they could hold a kid at their school once they signed. Now that they can transfer without sitting out, the coach doesn't have nearly as much power as he once had. NIL will also continue to be a struggle for him and PU.

Maybe 2 leagues is a good idea. Maybe I'm wrong and PU will find a way to navigate this and come out still competitive. I really hope that is the case.

Schools/booster were already paying players. Kids were already transferring. Nothing really changed, Purdue will be fine.

The player could grad transfer after his 3rd year in order to play at 3 schools in 4 years.

Purdue won't be going to a different league. They aren't going to be walking away from the nearly 100 mil/yr BTN money.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU and BBG
The player could grad transfer after his 3rd year in order to play at 3 schools in 4 years.

Purdue won't be going to a different league. They aren't going to be walking away from the nearly 100 mil/yr BTN money.
You're right they could do the grad transfer. But that would mean they already have a degree and would take away his argument for being concerned about a kids education by transferring so much. I agree about the B1G money, we aren't going to turn that away.

Schools/booster were already paying players. Kids were already transferring. Nothing really changed, Purdue will be fine.
NIL and the portal are not the same as it's always been. That said, I hope you're right about PU being fine. Starting with this coming year and our guard situation.

I like Painter but he comes across a little arrogant in interviews like these. His interests as a coach cloud his impartiality on these subjects like the portal and NIL. I am sure he is being genuine when he says his desire for guard rails on transfers are in the best interest of the student athletes, but part of that "what's in their best interest" package has to be the freedom as young adults to make their own decisions and mistakes.

Reactions: SCBoiler1

I find it interesting that in an article that is generally negative about the new transfer rules and the NIL, Neubert's prime example of how the new rules have hurt Purdue was that Purdue missed out on a transfer. Am I the only one who sees the irony?

To date Purdue has neither been hurt or helped by the combination of the NIL/transfer rules. They have lost two players. One was a graduate transfer who could have transferred anyway and I doubt IT left for NIL money.

IT is the only player in the last two years to transfer under the new rules. That's actually as good or better then Painter has faired over the course of his tenure at Purdue.

I really don't care how much these guys get paid and I'm not going "to worry" about it until we start loosing recruits or impact players because of it.

I like Painter but he comes across a little arrogant in interviews like these. His interests as a coach cloud his impartiality on these subjects like the portal and NIL. I am sure he is being genuine when he says his desire for guard rails on transfers are in the best interest of the student athletes, but part of that "what's in their best interest" package has to be the freedom as young adults to make their own decisions and mistakes.
Yeah, its kind of like the players and their parents/mentors don't take the decision seriously. Maybe some don't but I'm sure there are plenty that do (Stephens, Haarms, IT, Hunter, Wheeler, Taylor ect)

Reactions: DannyGranger

Kudos to Matt Painter. Last couple of paragraphs says it all. Do it the right way.

I'll remain in the camp If NCAA has no balls to guard rail the buying of players by boosters, then create two leagues (Pro and Amateur Leagues). Let the buying of players go somewhere else (i.e. Miami and others) - to get no education and no discipline either as grades and classes don't matter. A good percentage of these players will not go pro and where will they be? McDonald's at $15/hr asking if you want fries with that sandwich?
The Amateur league where I see Purdue and many other universities will have student athletes that can make some NIL coin, get degrees by: Go to class, pass tests and socially interact with students, professors and administrators within the University to come out ahead.

Let time and space determine which will be better for the longevity of health and safety of the athletes.
I think you have bias against U of Miami, my friend had an EE degree from there and he is doing very well now. But of course, U of Miami school ranking is much lower than Purdue's. Life is just not fair, obviously.

I understand what you're saying.

In that context, I don't think he was suggesting that young adults shouldn't have the freedoms to make mistakes. It was more directed that in the interest of the education aspect of student athletes that there should be some safeguards. If I remember correctly, he reiterated that he was all for a single immediate transfer.

Anyway, all the quotes to this article can be viewed on YouTube. Someone posted this last month. A great video for those that haven't seen it!

Field of 68 podcast

Last edited:
I understand why you're saying.

In that context, I don't think he was suggesting that young adults shouldn't have the freedoms to make mistakes. It was more directed that in the interest of the education aspect of student athletes that there should be some safeguards. If I remember correctly, he reiterated that he was all for a single immediate transfer.

Anyway, all the quotes to this article can be viewed on YouTube. Someone posted this last month. A great video for those that haven't seen it!

Field of 68 podcast
Fair response. For what it’s worth I listened to the entire interview earlier today and skipped the article. His “father knows best” style connects with a majority of his base, if not with some recruits. He has the Purdue/Indiana family values culture coursing through his veins. I do like that he corrected Brian and said that Purdue will adapt to change. The biggest challenge he will face is getting bench guys to stick around. If he can keep finding the Brandon Newman mentality he will do ok.

Reactions: NG.q15
Every bad team has to have a leading scorer. What was Kansas state, 5-23

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT