ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson

I guess he felt this is a totally different subject / angle ? and worthy of a new thread ? or he didn't see the other thread about Charlton Heston parting the waters of Lake Michigan by Evanston?

or he wanted me to reply twice to his posts in two separate threads?

Oh no the mighty Duke program has entered the sweep steaks. I'm sure his path to the NFL flows through Durham.

Short sighted

He has 6 qbs that have taken snaps in the nfl including both Manning’s

Hell of a coach.

Short sighted

He has 6 qbs that have taken snaps in the nfl including both Manning’s

Hell of a coach.
That's when Cutcliff was the offensive coordinator and not the head coach. May not have the same drive today as he's a lot older now. Brohm is a lot younger and has the drive and knows what it takes to get in the NFL.

Not as short sighted as you believe.

That's when Cutcliff was the offensive coordinator and not the head coach. May not have the same drive today as he's a lot older now. Brohm is a lot younger and has the drive and knows what it takes to get in the NFL.

Not as short sighted as you believe.

It is. He has done well at duke.

Age is one thing, but he is still and sharp mind and hasn’t shut it down on the recruiting trail like our own legend

It is. He has done well at duke.

Age is one thing, but he is still and sharp mind and hasn’t shut it down on the recruiting trail like our own legend

NU fan here. Agree he has done well at Duke. His best recruiting class was 2016, which makes sense given the 10-win season in 2014, and the typical two-year difference between good season and good class.

The benefit NU has is that its 2019 class is shaping up to be one of its better ones, given the 10-win season in 2017. Kirtz exemplifies that. I think Jirehl Brock is currently Iowa-bound, but Johnson's decision could change that.

Obviously Purdue's recruiting is on an upward trajectory too.

NU fan here. Agree he has done well at Duke. His best recruiting class was 2016, which makes sense given the 10-win season in 2014, and the typical two-year difference between good season and good class.

The benefit NU has is that its 2019 class is shaping up to be one of its better ones, given the 10-win season in 2017. Kirtz exemplifies that. I think Jirehl Brock is currently Iowa-bound, but Johnson's decision could change that.

Obviously Purdue's recruiting is on an upward trajectory too.

Purdue's greatest pitch is that we have a former professional quarterback that runs one of the most prolific offenses that happens to be a pro style. Couple that with a young core of wide recievers (2 four stars and two high three stars) there is a lot to love. The argument is that Brohm will leave before he plays a snap. Well, coach just got an extension and is locked in for the foreseeable future. The AD has showed the willingness to spend money and Ourdue has recently got the night lights and brand new practice facilities. No to mention he would be about 40/50 minute drive from home.

Purdue is on the rise. What coach did last year shows his genious and how good that whole staff is. Once he gets his players, he will be right there competing for a Big Championship. The way this class is shaping up, that could be 3 years. They land Johnson and they will be ranked and have a shot to compete for a Big Championship. This '19 class started off stronger than any class in the last 8 years. If Purdue finds a way to land a few more top targets, they will be scary good. Now is the time to jump on the train. This staff truly gets the absolute best out of their players. There aren't many coaching staffs out there that I would say are better. Especially for a quarterback.

Purdue's greatest pitch is that we have a former professional quarterback that runs one of the most prolific offenses that happens to be a pro style. Couple that with a young core of wide recievers (2 four stars and two high three stars) there is a lot to love. The argument is that Brohm will leave before he plays a snap. Well, coach just got an extension and is locked in for the foreseeable future. The AD has showed the willingness to spend money and Ourdue has recently got the night lights and brand new practice facilities. No to mention he would be about 40/50 minute drive from home.

Purdue is on the rise. What coach did last year shows his genious and how good that whole staff is. Once he gets his players, he will be right there competing for a Big Championship. The way this class is shaping up, that could be 3 years. They land Johnson and they will be ranked and have a shot to compete for a Big Championship. This '19 class started off stronger than any class in the last 8 years. If Purdue finds a way to land a few more top targets, they will be scary good. Now is the time to jump on the train. This staff truly gets the absolute best out of their players. There aren't many coaching staffs out there that I would say are better. Especially for a quarterback.

Nice post. I guess my question is -- do you think it's fair to make all these claims based on one season? I realize 7-6 was a big step up (and frankly Purdue was not far off from even more wins), but are you concerned that teams are going to "figure out" Brohm more than they were able to last year? There's also a lot of new blood in the Big Ten West -- Frost and Fleck come to mind -- so won't they be making the same claims about how they were able to get the best out of their players at their previous destinations? And "once they get their players," it'll be Big Ten Championship time?

I wish NU had gotten over the hump in the West during Fitz's tenure, but two 10-win seasons in the past three, and three in the last six, are a track record I'm very comfortable with the staff recruiting with.

Reactions: TheGunner
Nice post. I guess my question is -- do you think it's fair to make all these claims based on one season? I realize 7-6 was a big step up (and frankly Purdue was not far off from even more wins), but are you concerned that teams are going to "figure out" Brohm more than they were able to last year? There's also a lot of new blood in the Big Ten West -- Frost and Fleck come to mind -- so won't they be making the same claims about how they were able to get the best out of their players at their previous destinations? And "once they get their players," it'll be Big Ten Championship time?

I wish NU had gotten over the hump in the West during Fitz's tenure, but two 10-win seasons in the past three, and three in the last six, are a track record I'm very comfortable with the staff recruiting with.

Fleck took a team that won 10 games the year before and couldn't make a bowl. Frost seems like the real deal, we shall see.

As for teams figuring out Purdue, they haven't shown much. That offense was vanilla because they didn't have the talent and it was the first year for players to learn the system and unlearn their last four years. They should be better on offense next year, but it may be two years from now before he really opens up the playbook. And even if they do figure it out, as Purdue continues to add high talent weapons it will still be very difficult to stop when that happens.

The defense is the most concerning looking at what they lost this year. Almost their entire front 7 and two starting CBs. That will be the hold up. Their offense will be better and their Oline will be better. The question is do they have enough on defense to fake it til they make it. They have some talented young DBs and are adding a few play makers on defense, but they will be young and some not fully developed physically. It's why adding guys like JJ Weaver and Cam Williams is so important. They get those type of players and that rebuild become almost overnight.

Adding a player like Johnson to go with the four star guys they already have shows that Purdue is back. It really helps recruiting just as much as it helps the team on the field. Landing Johnson to go with the current players would be a moment where everybody could point to and say "that is when they became an elite program". Being a part of something that special is tough to turn down.

As far as figuring Brohm out, I don’t think he’s near to busting out the full playbook yet. Really limited by talent last year that made him reign it in a bit.

the big question about Brohm can be answered in Purdue's last 4 games. it's easy to pull off an upset early in the year, or to beat some creampuffs on your non-conference schedule. but by the 7-8th game, other teams should have game film and know how to prepare to beat your team. And it was in those last 4 games where Purdue excelled against some very good teams. if IU had won, they would have been a bowl team. if our receivers could catch a pass, Purdue would have won 2 additional games last year. As I look forward, we now have new receivers who look like they can actually catch a pass. and in this offense, that will make a tremendous difference.

Admittedly, our defense is a huge question mark. but we didn't lose everybody. and it's not like the players we had play last year were all future NFL stars either. We had a stellar defense with what could be described as mediocre players who vastly over-achieved. I'm not certain if our defense's talent level has improved. But one thing I saw in our defense last year that I hadn't seen in the past 5 years, is that they actually tackled their opponent. in the past, all they did was hit the player, and the player would bounce around for another 5-10 yards and just break away. And our dbacks were not burned by mistakes as often as they were in the past. and our coverage and placement was a lot better. in other words, our mediocre talent was molded into a very effective defense. The hope is that will be able to happen again.

Fleck took a team that won 10 games the year before and couldn't make a bowl. Frost seems like the real deal, we shall see.

As for teams figuring out Purdue, they haven't shown much. That offense was vanilla because they didn't have the talent and it was the first year for players to learn the system and unlearn their last four years. They should be better on offense next year, but it may be two years from now before he really opens up the playbook. And even if they do figure it out, as Purdue continues to add high talent weapons it will still be very difficult to stop when that happens.

The defense is the most concerning looking at what they lost this year. Almost their entire front 7 and two starting CBs. That will be the hold up. Their offense will be better and their Oline will be better. The question is do they have enough on defense to fake it til they make it. They have some talented young DBs and are adding a few play makers on defense, but they will be young and some not fully developed physically. It's why adding guys like JJ Weaver and Cam Williams is so important. They get those type of players and that rebuild become almost overnight.

Adding a player like Johnson to go with the four star guys they already have shows that Purdue is back. It really helps recruiting just as much as it helps the team on the field. Landing Johnson to go with the current players would be a moment where everybody could point to and say "that is when they became an elite program". Being a part of something that special is tough to turn down.

NU’s offense is going to be fake it till they make it, if Thorson isn’t ready to go for the opener. Should be a very interesting game 1 on that side of the ball for both teams.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
As far as figuring Brohm out, I don’t think he’s near to busting out the full playbook yet. Really limited by talent last year that made him reign it in a bit.
Adding to this, an offense is only “figured out” when the offensive play caller becomes stale and predictable, lining up in the same and/or similar formations for each play. The one thing that stood out about Brohm’s play calling was his innovation in disquising the play call with his formations as well as the audibles he implemented for a simple draw or a home run shot down the field.

I am glad that Brohm has been putting energy into upgrading the secondary in '18 & '19 classes. Improved as it was last year, it was still a liability at times late in games. We needed to be deeper than we were and Brohm is addressing that. We are on the right path and I agree it will a few years but we will be competing at the top of the Big. I really, really want to see some big time O & D lineman commit. We are on some really good OG's for '19 and I am hoping we can recruit some really good ones in 2020.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I am glad that Brohm has been putting energy into upgrading the secondary in '18 & '19 classes. Improved as it was last year, it was still a liability at times late in games. We needed to be deeper than we were and Brohm is addressing that. We are on the right path and I agree it will a few years but we will be competing at the top of the Big. I really, really want to see some big time O & D lineman commit. We are on some really good OG's for '19 and I am hoping we can recruit some really good ones in 2020.

It was a dual problem of having an inconsistent (to put it kindly) pass rush and an average secondary. This year Purdue's secondary will be more talented, but also younger and probably worse overall. The pass rush will likely be the same. Teams should still be able to pass against us with relative ease, it will be needed however to keep up with what should be a significantly improved offense.

Reactions: LonestarBoilerFan
a question in mind. to cover for a weaker defense, do you believe brohm would revert to a ball control offense to take time off the clock, rather than a more vertical oriented quick strike offense?

1) His buyout is far from expensive if a team from a P5 conference really wants him:

Buyout if Brohm leaves before:

Dec. 5, 2018: $4.4 million

Dec. 5, 2019: $3.3 million

Dec. 5, 2020: $2.2 million

Dec. 5, 2021: $1.1 million

Dec. 31, 2024: $1 million

Note: Buyout would also include the remaining balance of an interest-free loan given to Brohm by Purdue to terminate his contract with Western Kentucky. The original $900,000 loan is reduced by $150,000 each year.

Source: https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...ceives-two-year-contract-extension/552018002/
2) Us Northwestern fans say pretty much the same thing about our team, but we're even a little further along (27 wins the last three years, Lakefront facility fully operational by the end of June, Wrigley game scheduled, 2019 recruiting strong and likely even better in 2020, etc.), which could be more appealing to a guy in a "win now" situation like Johnson. McCall is also pretty underrated as a QB developer, having put Kafka (4th round, now a coach with the KF Chiefs) and Siemian (7th round, part-time starter in Denver now Cousins' backup in Minnesota) in the NFL during his time at NU (with Thorson soon to join) and guys like Omar Jacobs (5th round) and Josh Harris (6th round) during his time at Bowling Green.

as far as buyouts go......Northwestern is also not without coaches who leave for better programs. Unfortunately, Alex Agase left Northwestern for Purdue. Ara Parseigian left Northwestern for Notre Dame. And even Charlton Heston "parted" and left Northwestern..... for Hollywood. What became of Barnett ? Did he leave? it's not like Northwestern has a coach who's been at Northwestern for over 10 years either

and Brohm, Holt and company have a lot of players they could take credit for as NFL draftees from their previous and also current coaching positions. Purdue did have a couple of players drafted last year and this year. and amazingly, also in previous years as well.

a question in mind. to cover for a weaker defense, do you believe brohm would revert to a ball control offense to take time off the clock, rather than a more vertical oriented quick strike offense?
Nope....I think Brohm has acknowledged that he needs to be more aggressive on offense in close games. Losing the Rutgers and Neb games trying to play ball control with leads resulted in a seismic shift in philosophy the final 4 games against IA, NW,IU & AZ. I would be surprised if we aren't a 55-45 pass/run team or better this year

as far as buyouts go......Northwestern is also not without coaches who leave for better programs. Unfortunately, Alex Agase left Northwestern for Purdue. Ara Parseigian left Northwestern for Notre Dame. And even Charlton Heston "parted" and left Northwestern..... for Hollywood. What became of Barnett ? Did he leave? it's not like Northwestern has a coach who's been at Northwestern for over 10 years either

and Brohm, Holt and company have a lot of players they could take credit for as NFL draftees from their previous and also current coaching positions. Purdue did have a couple of players drafted last year and this year. and amazingly, also in previous years as well.

You're not really helping your case...

1) Agase left Northwestern in 1972 and Parseghian in 1963. Not exactly recent history.

2) Barnett left for Colorado (where he had been an assistant from 1984-1991 in addition to 20+ years as a high school and DII head coach in the state), which he openly admitted was his dream job. Barnett also left NU one year into a 12-year contract, which kind of undercuts the whole premise that Brohm is somehow "stuck" at Purdue because he has a seven-year deal.

3) This will be Pat Fitzgerald's 13th season as head coach at Northwestern, plus another nine years as player or assistant coach. So yeah, Northwestern "has a coach who's been at Northwestern for over 10 years." In fact, before three guys with previous NU ties as coaches or players were hired this offseason, our shortest-tenured assistant had been at NU for seven years; the next-shortest before him was nine years. So we even have assistant coaches who have "been at Northwestern for over 10 years."

You're not really helping your case...

1) Agase left Northwestern in 1972 and Parseghian in 1963. Not exactly recent history.

2) Barnett left for Colorado (where he had been an assistant from 1984-1991 in addition to 20+ years as a high school and DII head coach in the state), which he openly admitted was his dream job. Barnett also left NU one year into a 12-year contract, which kind of undercuts the whole premise that Brohm is somehow "stuck" at Purdue because he has a seven-year deal.

3) This will be Pat Fitzgerald's 13th season as head coach at Northwestern, plus another nine years as player or assistant coach. So yeah, Northwestern "has a coach who's been at Northwestern for over 10 years."

I'm sorry. the three coaches I mentioned were the only coaches whose names I remember as being from Northwestern. And the y did all leave for greener football fields. the other coaches never made an indent on my memory. I also have no memory of any recent or previous Northwestern basketball coach. I'm sure they've had one. they've just not been very memorable. And what was Collins coaching gig before he came to Northwestern? Northwestern can really reel them in.

I'm sorry. the three coaches I mentioned were the only coaches whose names I remember as being from Northwestern. And the y did all leave for greener football fields. the other coaches never made an indent on my memory. I also have no memory of any recent or previous Northwestern basketball coach. I'm sure they've had one. they've just not been very memorable. And what was Collins coaching gig before he came to Northwestern? Northwestern can really reel them in.

(I honestly can't tell if you're trolling at this point... this is almost too easy. But I'll take it as legitimate until told otherwise.)

We at Northwestern refer to the 1970s and 1980s as the "Dark Ages" for a reason. The Administration essentially tried to run the athletic program into the ground at the behest of the then-President of the University. Even then, I think you may have heard of Dennis Green? Northwestern was his first head coaching job from 1981-1985, which was a very big deal at the time because he was only the second black head coach in NCAA D1 history and the first in a traditional "power conference;" even though he only went 10-45(7-37) at Northwestern, he was actually named Big Ten Coach of the Year in 1982 for a 3-8(2-7) season because the program was in such a bad place. For reference, the coach he replaced had a career 1-31-1 record. Green left for Stanford to work for Bill Walsh, then went on to be a Super Bowl-winning head coach.

Collins was an assistant coach at Duke for 13 years before becoming head coach at Northwestern, including seven years as Coach K's Associate Head Coach. Perhaps you've heard of Duke basketball?

(I honestly can't tell if you're trolling at this point... this is almost too easy. But I'll take it as legitimate until told otherwise.)

We at Northwestern refer to the 1970s and 1980s as the "Dark Ages" for a reason. The Administration essentially tried to run the athletic program into the ground at the behest of the then-President of the University. Even then, I think you may have heard of Dennis Green? Northwestern was his first head coaching job from 1981-1985, which was a very big deal at the time because he was only the second black head coach in NCAA D1 history and the first in a traditional "power conference;" even though he only went 10-45(7-37) at Northwestern, he was actually named Big Ten Coach of the Year in 1982 for a 3-8(2-7) season because the program was in such a bad place. For reference, the coach he replaced had a career 1-31-1 record. Green left for Stanford to work for Bill Walsh, then went on to be a Super Bowl-winning head coach.

Collins was an assistant coach at Duke for 13 years before becoming head coach at Northwestern, including seven years as Coach K's Associate Head Coach. Perhaps you've heard of Duke basketball?

He's not trolling. He's just a little slow.

I think this "NW vs PURDUE" argument is silly.

NU’s offense is going to be fake it till they make it, if Thorson isn’t ready to go for the opener. Should be a very interesting game 1 on that side of the ball for both teams.
We’re going to beat NW at home. Fitz’s teams have a bad habit of stumbling out of the gate. They tend to get better as the season goes on. If Thorson is out, NW could be in for a long day.

No. His MO will be to open up the offense and try to outscore the opposition.

1) His buyout is far from expensive if a team from a P5 conference really wants him:

Buyout if Brohm leaves before:

Dec. 5, 2018: $4.4 million

Dec. 5, 2019: $3.3 million

Dec. 5, 2020: $2.2 million

Dec. 5, 2021: $1.1 million

Dec. 31, 2024: $1 million

Note: Buyout would also include the remaining balance of an interest-free loan given to Brohm by Purdue to terminate his contract with Western Kentucky. The original $900,000 loan is reduced by $150,000 each year.

Source: https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...ceives-two-year-contract-extension/552018002/
2) Us Northwestern fans say pretty much the same thing about our team, but we're even a little further along (27 wins the last three years, Lakefront facility fully operational by the end of June, Wrigley game scheduled, 2019 recruiting strong and likely even better in 2020, etc.), which could be more appealing to a guy in a "win now" situation like Johnson. McCall is also pretty underrated as a QB developer, having put Kafka (4th round, now a coach with the KF Chiefs) and Siemian (7th round, part-time starter in Denver now Cousins' backup in Minnesota) in the NFL during his time at NU (with Thorson soon to join) and guys like Omar Jacobs (5th round) and Josh Harris (6th round) during his time at Bowling Green.
HC Jeff Brohm (former NFL QB) + QB Coach Brian Brohm >> Fitz + McCall at developing QBs

We’re going to beat NW at home. Fitz’s teams have a bad habit of stumbling out of the gate. They tend to get better as the season goes on. If Thorson is out, NW could be in for a long day.

Fitz has also actually been quite good in openers. The Cal loss in 2014 and WMU in 2016 are his only career opening week losses and that includes wins over Stanford, Vanderbilt, Syracuse (twice), BC, and Cal along with some lesser opponents (Northeastern, Towson, etc.). Our bigger problem seems to be laying a clunker in what’s supposed to be our “easier” non-conference game (Illinois State, Army, etc.).

HC Jeff Brohm (former NFL QB) + QB Coach Brian Brohm >> Fitz + McCall at developing QBs

I don't disagree, and that expertise plus a more wide-open pro-style offense are likely Purdue's biggest selling points in this process. Just pointing out that McCall has a pretty solid track record of his own, so "QB development" is not completely in Purdue's favor... just very strongly. ;)

Reactions: SDBoiler1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT