ADVERTISEMENT

Hummel on Purdue's Loss and Fans Getting on Painter

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
I thought this article was relevant, since Robbie played for us, and he is a beloved Boilermaker. I think several of the things that he said has been mentioned on here at nauseum over the last few days.

We all know about our shooting woes, and that was mentioned in the article multiple times. The one question I have though is why we stopped recruiting sharpshooters. We would get a sharpshooter in each recruiting class every year, like we get a QB in each football recruiting class. Painter stopped doing that. Maybe that has something to do with COVID and the roster numbers. I don't know.

The press comment was the most confusing though. Do we have locker room issues, because that problem, which could cause shooting issues too, sounded like players didn't care? At least, that is how I took this reaction wise below from the article statement.

"The press-break stuff, that's a different story," Hummel said. "I don't understand why the press gives them so much trouble. Sometimes, at the Big Ten tournament, Bruce Weber and I were sitting there watching, and it was guys were catching (the ball) refusing to turn to actually break the press."

Here is the article:

I thought this article was relevant, since Robbie played for us, and he is a beloved Boilermaker. I think several of the things that he said has been mentioned on here at nauseum over the last few days.

We all know about our shooting woes, and that was mentioned in the article multiple times. The one question I have though is why we stopped recruiting sharpshooters. We would get a sharpshooter in each recruiting class every year, like we get a QB in each football recruiting class. Painter stopped doing that. Maybe that has something to do with COVID and the roster numbers. I don't know.

The press comment was the most confusing though. Do we have locker room issues, because that problem, which could cause shooting issues too, sounded like players didn't care? At least, that is how I took this reaction wise below from the article statement.

"The press-break stuff, that's a different story," Hummel said. "I don't understand why the press gives them so much trouble. Sometimes, at the Big Ten tournament, Bruce Weber and I were sitting there watching, and it was guys were catching (the ball) refusing to turn to actually break the press."

Here is the article:

Loyer has been called by many the best shooter out of Indiana since Rick Mount. He won the HS 3 pt contest.

Here is the article:

thanks for posting this , I was going to ask the board today if anyone knows the reactions of Hummel and Raphael about the disturbing loss

Shooting Guards Recruits over the last 10 years
2014 Mathias
2015 Cline
2016 Edwards
2017 Sasha
2018 Hunter
2019 Newman
2020 Ivey (more of a slasher than a deep threat)
2021 None in the class
2022 Loyer
2023 None in the class

Reactions: BoilerAndy

Here is the article:

It was pretty obvious what was happening. A deadly combination of horrible shooting "where" they were shooting and turnovers. Once Mason did in fact turn and dribbled the ball quickly towards the basket and an FDU player came from behind and stole it. ;)

Reactions: BoilerAndy
"People are crushing coach Painter. I get it. The buck stops with him. … As a player, if you're getting wide-open shots, your coach is doing something right."

Great point here.
A simple game can't be that simple can it? I mean make easy shots and you probably win that game?

bob knight lost first round games to richmond and cleveland state both double digit seeds. iu also lost to kent state under davis, another double digit seed. then there is the period of 17-21 where iu missed the ncaat. just a bit of perspective

Last edited:

Here is the article:

This short piece is a reminder that Painter tried to add guards in the portal last year, but was unable to compete financially:

Reactions: RossMackey
Make easy open shots at a higher rate and you will probably find yourself not that wide open very much longer. If that occurs then your AA won’t have 3 guys hanging on him. Simple, it is.
See many threads list everything under the sun, but making those easy shots could make a huge difference. FDU made contested shots. :(

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
Make easy open shots at a higher rate and you will probably find yourself not that wide open very much longer. If that occurs then your AA won’t have 3 guys hanging on him. Simple, it is.
they took their only shot of making it a game and that was to dedicate the entire team to not letting Zach get the ball and make any other player from Purdue beat them. Sure there were other warts Purdue had like turnovers, over helping and such, but make just a couple more and still a bad percent and we are talking about getting the bad game behind us...

I agree, but hoping and planning for an improved shooting % after clanking them the last 15-20 game was a foolish strategy, imo. He needed to make a change on the other end.

bob knight lost first round games to richmond and cleveland state both double digit seeds. iu also lost to kent state under davis, another double digit seed. then there is the period of 17-21 where iu missed the ncaat. just a bit of perspective
1976 National Champion
1981 National Champion
1987 National Champion
1992 Final Four

Just a bit of perspective.

they took their only shot of making it a game and that was to dedicate the entire team to not letting Zach get the ball and make any other player from Purdue beat them. Sure there were other warts Purdue had like turnovers, over helping and such, but make just a couple more and still a bad percent and we are talking about getting the bad game behind us...
Good bet. Purdue has been shooting about 20% from three quite often in recent games. Probably about 40% chance of success since Purdue had no player who could mix it up and get their own shot.

just proves my point when even a coach like knight could lose to double digit seeds 2 of 3 years.
Nobody said great coaches never got upset. Just most of them have some tournament success to balance things out.

Also, Knight is not really a great example since he took the IU job in 1971 and 5 years later had a national championship. Might have had back to back in 75 and 76 if Scott May doesn’t break his arm. Painter is in year 18 and has one Elite 8 appearance as his best finish. I’m not even in the Fire Painter camp and I can see this isn’t a great defense of losing to a 13/15/16 consecutively.

2018 - hunter (no)

2019 Newman was supposed to be a great shooter.

2020- ivey (not a great shooter but I’ll give CMP a pass)

2021- Kaufman and Furst
And what's supposed to be a good shooting team our FT Shooting is horrible....

Not quite on-topic, but I heard Robbie on SXM before the tournament,talking about the morons within the Purdue fanbase who laid into him for not being more “pro-Purdue” during his broadcasts….

One douchebag actually told Robbie he was glad Robbie blew out his knee in college, since he was not a “loyal Boilermaker”…..

I’m ashamed that I follow the same team as a subhuman POS like this.

Goodman talks about how lute Olsen lost to double digit seeds in 3 out of 4 years when he was a student. He then wins a natty and is in the hall of fame.

Good bet. Purdue has been shooting about 20% from three quite often in recent games. Probably about 40% chance of success since Purdue had no player who could mix it up and get their own shot.
They had a lot of players that could get their own shot, but they would probably shoot as poorly as they did when wide open and not needing anything to get the shots they already had...just make a few that is all. Then, Purdue could move on to another problem. You hope the coach can help create a situation that produces good looks with the idea that if you get enough good looks or at least better than the opponent you win. Obviously, that didn't work out.

Not quite on-topic, but I heard Robbie on SXM before the tournament,talking about the morons within the Purdue fanbase who laid into him for not being more “pro-Purdue” during his broadcasts….

One douchebag actually told Robbie he was glad Robbie blew out his knee in college, since he was not a “loyal Boilermaker”…..

Was it Blowfish, who hopes Colvin and Catchings go elsewhere so that Painter gets fired?

"People are crushing coach Painter. I get it. The buck stops with him. … As a player, if you're getting wide-open shots, your coach is doing something right."

Great point here.
If you are getting bounced by double-digit seeds every year, then the coach is doing something wrong. How can anyone still defend this clown?

Reactions: BoilerDeac

To say that about one of the most dedicated and selfless players that has ever worn the uniform is pretty ridiculous. In fact, rooting for or being happy about an injury to any player on any team is just plain wrong.

Bingo.

This is it, in a nutshell. However, this has been the case since Robbie played (remember that Kansas game?).
Players just complacent and refusing to break the press is insanity, but when it happens year after year, the coach is not doing something right. It's next level bizarre.

Reactions: Gesysp and Dryfly88
Bingo.

This is it, in a nutshell. However, this has been the case since Robbie played (remember that Kansas game?).
Players just complacent and refusing to break the press is insanity, but when it happens year after year, the coach is not doing something right. It's next level bizarre.
Yes, it is bizarre. I think that one factor is we don't try to break the press to score. I think that leads to players being slow and methodical and then they get up against the 10 second count and they panic. If you watched Miami Sunday night, IU tried to put some pressure on them and they immediately attacked the press for scores and it blew the game wide open. Maybe with Edey gone next year, CMP will address that and go for the score and turn guys loose. This year you could see we were just trying to get across the line and then start the weave 25 feet from the basket.

Yes, it is bizarre. I think that one factor is we don't try to break the press to score. I think that leads to players being slow and methodical and then they get up against the 10 second count and they panic. If you watched Miami Sunday night, IU tried to put some pressure on them and they immediately attacked the press for scores and it blew the game wide open. Maybe with Edey gone next year, CMP will address that and go for the score and turn guys loose. This year you could see we were just trying to get across the line and then start the weave 25 feet from the basket.
If we had Miami’s 4 guards, we would have shredded the FDU press also.

It’s the Jimmie’s and the Joes, not the Xs and the Os. CMP needs to swallow his pride and just buy some ball handlers out of the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT