ADVERTISEMENT

How to influence the BOT

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
I think every fan realizes we need bigger investment in football. My concern is that the bot doesn't buy into this. And so how do we as fans influence them?

The new football complex is cool, but it seems like Purdue is always playing catch-up. That facility they're building gets us to middle of the pack b10 at best.

I think every fan realizes we need bigger investment in football. My concern is that the bot doesn't buy into this. And so how do we as fans influence them?

The new football complex is cool, but it seems like Purdue is always playing catch-up. That facility they're building gets us to middle of the pack b10 at best.

Shamelessly selfish bump

The BOT approves things, they don't create and give ideas for things. What you're complaining about is the athletic director.

I don't think the bot has a strong desire to be a powerhouse football program.

Without that desire, it's tough to actually get there.

How do we know that for years they haven't been approving budget increases and facility upgrades? Is that all public info?

I don't think the bot has a strong desire to be a powerhouse football program.

Without that desire, it's tough to actually get there.

How do we know that for years they haven't been approving budget increases and facility upgrades? Is that all public info?

They approved a $20 million baseball stadium and a new softball stadium - neither of which had much of any private fundraising.

They would have to approve massively increasing the coaching and recruiting budget, which is in order, and would also have to approve the long overdue investments in the stadium.

But that's exactly what I said - they don't give ideas, they approve ideas.

Burke has been reactive for decades. He's never been pro-active. Let's not ignore the fact that Purdue magically found the additional resources to improve the investment in football from Hope to Hazell, as well as providing additional salary and additional staff resources to the basketball program basically overnight.

If you don't try, someone else isn't gonna offer.

Read the following on the H&R website:

And this is where we come to the truly sad part. Here is what our university President had to say today before the game:

"On a relative basis, the number of football seats we sell has never been less important, financially"

That made it official: Those in charge at the highest levels simply do not care about Purdue football as long as the Big Ten welfare check keeps coming, and because of that Hazell will not only finish the season, there is a strong chance he will finish his contract.

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
But that's exactly what I said - they don't give ideas, they approve ideas.

Burke has been reactive for decades. He's never been pro-active. Let's not ignore the fact that Purdue magically found the additional resources to improve the investment in football from Hope to Hazell, as well as providing additional salary and additional staff resources to the basketball program basically overnight.

If you don't try, someone else isn't gonna offer.
We don't know that Burke didn't ask the BOT for those investments earlier, and that THEY were the ones being reactive. In fact, I have heard that's exactly what happened with MBB.

...and because of that Hazell will not only finish the season, there is a strong chance he will finish his contract.

Wanna bet? I think you're better off not reading H&R.

LBODEL - I always enjoy your thoughts on the athletic department. So you think the problem mostly lies with the AD?

Is there a precedent for an AD to decrease the number of varsity sports? Which of the non-revenue sports are most costly?

I just wonder if many people would complain if Purdue axed the track teams...would that cause a significant expenditure to just disappear?

Purdue already has the fewest varsity teams in the b10. Why not just go all-in on a handful of sports?

As an aside, I picked track because I assumed they were the most expensive (of non-revenue) due to having the largest rosters. I care about cross country the least of any varsity sport.

I'll bet that Daniels said that but as far as his other comments, no, that is just H&R's opinion which is as good as anyone else's short of MB2, Daniels, the BOT's and a very select few of high dollar donors...

And this is where we come to the truly sad part. Here is what our university President had to say today before the game:

"On a relative basis, the number of football seats we sell has never been less important, financially"

That made it official: Those in charge at the highest levels simply do not care about Purdue football as long as the Big Ten welfare check keeps coming, and because of that Hazell will not only finish the season, there is a strong chance he will finish his contract.
The 2017 season ticket emails should have this quote in the subject heading.

Oh, I thought those were your words. Yeah, yet another stupid opinion from H&R.

Daniels is a very one-dimensional thinker, just like Burke. He doesn't see that investing in football would pay for itself.

He is damaging the academic side with his one-dimensional thinking.

We don't know that Burke didn't ask the BOT for those investments earlier, and that THEY were the ones being reactive. In fact, I have heard that's exactly what happened with MBB.

Bless your heart if you think Burke was pro-actively trying to improve the investments in basketball. The fact of the matter is this - the athletic department budget is independent of the university's. If Morgan Burke had the money, could show the money exists and could be sustained - why would they reject it? At many schools, they endow the coaching salary from a private donor - why would the BOT reject that? The BOT doesn't have to cough up any of the university's money for coaching salaries.

In addition, when the Painter thing did go down, plenty of stories about Burke being cheap came out - none of which were mandated by the university, but his own department.

Bless your heart if you think Burke was pro-actively trying to improve the investments in basketball. The fact of the matter is this - the athletic department budget is independent of the university's. If Morgan Burke had the money, could show the money exists and could be sustained - why would they reject it? At many schools, they endow the coaching salary from a private donor - why would the BOT reject that? The BOT doesn't have to cough up any of the university's money for coaching salaries.

In addition, when the Painter thing did go down, plenty of stories about Burke being cheap came out - none of which were mandated by the university, but his own department.
LOL- Purdue has been cheap since way before 1992. Mark Montieth documented that in Passion Play, which came out in 1988.

LOL- Purdue has been cheap since way before 1992. Mark Montieth documented that in Passion Play, which came out in 1988.

I never said Purdue wasn't cheap prior to Burke. However, going back that far is slightly apples/oranges when you look at the collegiate sports landscape then and now.

I never said Purdue wasn't cheap prior to Burke. However, going back that far is slightly apples/oranges when you look at the collegiate sports landscape then and now.
Not really. Montieth (an IU grad) pointed out that the lack of facilities hurt Purdue in recruiting even back then.

Not really. Montieth (an IU grad) pointed out that the lack of facilities hurt Purdue in recruiting even back then.

Again, there are many, many significant differences between the 1980s and 2016. And PS, Purdue was actually at the fore-front of their indoor practice facility and was one of the nicest facilities in the country then. A school like Maryland today (and until very recently, Northwestern) doesn't even have an indoor facility...both have been better than us the last 10 years.

Again, there are many, many significant differences between the 1980s and 2016. And PS, Purdue was actually at the fore-front of their indoor practice facility and was one of the nicest facilities in the country then. A school like Maryland today (and until very recently, Northwestern) doesn't even have an indoor facility...both have been better than us the last 10 years.
And a lot hasn't changed. Like most of Ross-Ade, for one.

Look, I was one of Morgue's biggest critics on this board, but our problems went above and beyond him as well. And still may, time will tell.

And a lot hasn't changed. Like most of Ross-Ade, for one.

Look, I was one of Morgue's biggest critics on this board, but our problems went above and beyond him as well. And still may, time will tell.

Right on, my ol' pal New Pal! They've sacrificed the very expensive Scape Goat and are now giving the usual lip service everyone wants to hear, BFD.

PU_enemy_zpss7fttoeb.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT