ADVERTISEMENT

How many more commitments can Purdue take? 8-10 Additional

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
I cursory went up and down the roster and noted 26 Sr. I don't know how many were on full scholarships or remained walk-ons. Sitting at 15, I'd guesstimate another 10. I'm also guessing that Brohm will reward a few walk-on contributors with scholies in fall 2019. Anyone with more insight, please share your thoughts.

I’m thinking they take 13, if my logic below is legal/correct

They have room for at least three midyear guys as only 22 of the 24 commits made it from last years class so they can back fill those spots (3) with midyear guys this go around. I saw that one of the O lineman is a midyear guy and I bet the staff pushes to get Piferi in here at term as well.

a different post said that Brian said we currently have room for 22. Alstott transferred.. OL Allen decided not to attend Purdue. and Jallow is attending Summer school to improve his academic eligibility/ standing.

I'm kind of optimistic about the academic standing of Purdue athletes. We had 5 senior basketball players who all graduated. I have to believe the attrition of football players due to academic reasons will be a lot less than forecasted. There maybe 1-2 more who may be encouraged like Alstott to transfer elsewhere. however, if a player was going to transfer, I'd think they'd already do it by now. and like last year, Purdue may see 1-2 academic casualties after the first semester. We did have 1-2 players who didn't play in the bowl game because they were academic casualties.

Brohm has worked his magic the last two years acquiring as many recruits as possible. There were also 4 recruits last year that committed that were encouraged later to sign elsewhere to make room for other recruits.

a question I have. If a senior graduates after his first semester, and decides not to attend Purdue the second semester, can his scholarship be used for an early incoming signee?

I've seen a lot of players now graduating after 3 years. I would believe if a player redshirted, he should be able to graduate at least 1 semester early.

a question I have. If a senior graduates after his first semester, and decides not to attend Purdue the second semester, can his scholarship be used for an early incoming signee?

I've seen a lot of players now graduating after 3 years. I would believe if a player redshirted, he should be able to graduate at least 1 semester early.

Yes. At no time can you have more than 85 scholarshipped players enrolled. So if 7 seniors graduate, 7 early enrollees can come in. If 4 graduate but the staff has 7, the staff has to decide which four they want on campus

I saw a study on reddit that showed the average attrition rate in the conference at around 30% (players that enroll as freshman who do not complete their eligibility at the same school). So if you start with 85 scholarship players in the fall of 2018, and have 20 seniors on roster, then out of the remaining 65 you'll lose on average 6-7 guys by the fall of 2019.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I saw a study on reddit that showed the average attrition rate in the conference at around 30% (players that enroll as freshman who do not complete their eligibility at the same school). So if you start with 85 scholarship players in the fall of 2018, and have 20 seniors on roster, then out of the remaining 65 you'll lose on average 6-7 guys by the fall of 2019.

did you just change that from 6.5 to 6-7 guys??

Dude. . . I was all ready to make a smart-@ss statement about that .5 guy.

to me, that seems rather high for BIG 10 athletes. I had thought the academic entrance requirements would be such that the normal BIG 10 athlete would not be the type to face academic attrition . and I know from factual experience, many SEC and BIG 12 teams really don't care if the player is a starter what their grades are.

to me, that seems rather high for BIG 10 athletes. I had thought the academic entrance requirements would be such that the normal BIG 10 athlete would not be the type to face academic attrition . and I know from factual experience, many SEC and BIG 12 teams really don't care if the player is a starter what their grades are.

Grades aren’t the only reason a player leaves

Grades aren’t the only reason a player leaves

I would agree. Basketball's Taylor transferred, and he graduated. Alstott transferred. grades were not an issue for either.

I was just thinking Brohm has kind of already cleaned house and those who wanted to leave would have already left.

I would agree. Basketball's Taylor transferred, and he graduated. Alstott transferred. grades were not an issue for either.

I was just thinking Brohm has kind of already cleaned house and those who wanted to leave would have already left.

It will be yearly. Kids will come and will tire of sitting

There are still a handful of players that will probably be at Purdue their last season or at least last as a member of the fball team. A couple likely graduate with a year of eligibility remaining and do not return.

This is why I think the early signing date is good because as guys end up leaving due to attrition as you pointed out, programs can find guys to fill those gaps. It's also why I think the 2019 class ends up being about 23 guys.

I think you can have up to 30 commits provided 5 are early enrollees (if you have the space). But I suspect we will get closer to 25. Everyone freaked out last year about how far over we were but these types of things have ways of working themselves out. Maybe we are over-signed and then a few prospects don't end up coming here like was the case last year.

I think you can have up to 30 commits provided 5 are early enrollees (if you have the space). But I suspect we will get closer to 25. Everyone freaked out last year about how far over we were but these types of things have ways of working themselves out. Maybe we are over-signed and then a few prospects don't end up coming here like was the case last year.

the case last year was that three prospects wanted to come to Purdue, but were encouraged to sign elsewhere. after they had committed to us.

a different post said that Brian said we currently have room for 22. Alstott transferred.. OL Allen decided not to attend Purdue. and Jallow is attending Summer school to improve his academic eligibility/ standing.

I'm kind of optimistic about the academic standing of Purdue athletes. We had 5 senior basketball players who all graduated. I have to believe the attrition of football players due to academic reasons will be a lot less than forecasted. There maybe 1-2 more who may be encouraged like Alstott to transfer elsewhere. however, if a player was going to transfer, I'd think they'd already do it by now. and like last year, Purdue may see 1-2 academic casualties after the first semester. We did have 1-2 players who didn't play in the bowl game because they were academic casualties.

Brohm has worked his magic the last two years acquiring as many recruits as possible. There were also 4 recruits last year that committed that were encouraged later to sign elsewhere to make room for other recruits.

Where did you see that Jadlow was still in the program?

Where did you see that Jadlow was still in the program?

There was a post on this board that said he was not being counted toward our 85 scholarship because of academics. but that he was attending Summer school at Purdue to try to regain his eligibility.

The question is if he successfully regained his eligibility, would he be back on the team? Purdue has had other players in a similar situation that were re-instated to the team once they regained their eligibility. Purdue has also had a couple of players who tried to go this route, and failed once more and said, just forget it.

there was also some discussion as to whether Brohm really wanted him back as his skills and actual performance were not as great as hoped.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT