ADVERTISEMENT

How guys are playing going into home stretch

Bleedinggoldandblack

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
The Watchtower
Edey has just seems to accelerate his game and leadership , just incredible, but he can't do it alone, need balance from other guys.

Braiden has been very much a constant leader , a lot of pressure on him and he takes it very personally.

Jenkins seems to finally be getting settled , we really need his role leadership shooting

Fletch is Fletch, like Braiden just keeps growing, steady Eddie, fearless. Needs strengthen his defensive game.

Gillis Furst seem to play their roles , we need their defense, rebounding and 3 pt shots

TKR seems kinda hot and cold as of late after that game he was great when Edey was out sick, but we need him in his role.

Morton , lead defender , glue guy could use more offense from him , even if just 2 3pt additional per game.

Newman , never sure what's cooking here , but when he is focused on team play he's great , seems to want to force his will at times which isn't.

What are your guys Gals thoughts ?

Reactions: tjreese
I figure we win against Iowa tonight, against Northwestern @ NU. At Maryland we could lose. Then wins against OSU, IU, @ Wisconsin, and we close out with a win at home against Illinois. 6-1 over the stretch.

i wish our role players were more consistant. Loyer and Furst disappear at times. Newman hasn't been that off the bench scorer we all thought he might be. Needed come tourney time.
Was really nice to see Gillis erupt, hopefully that spikes his confidence and he keeps shooting it.

Glad to see Furst as active as he was last night since he has seemed to disappear the past few games. He will be a critical piece for a deep tourney run especially on the offensive glass.

Jenkins has been really good as of late but seemed to be forcing his 3 ball last night and hope he will take more of his midrange shots because he can get in a flow.

Newman - still a head scratcher. I wish he would use more of his midrange as well and get something working before shooting 3s.

TKR - not too worried since his ability to score will be dependent on matchups and relief time for Zach.

Glad to see Furst as active as he was last night since he has seemed to disappear the past few games. He will be a critical piece for a deep tourney run especially on the offensive glass.

Jenkins has been really good as of late but seemed to be forcing his 3 ball last night and hope he will take more of his midrange shots because he can get in a flow.

Newman - still a head scratcher. I wish he would use more of his midrange as well and get something working before shooting 3s.

TKR - not too worried since his ability to score will be dependent on matchups and relief time for Zach.
Big Newman fan, but honestly speaking he just isn't very good with the ball in his hands. Most likely why he played sparingly against Iowa's press last night.

I'm cool with Newman being a part of the rotation, but he is definitely inconsistent. I suspect that Jenkins might take most of his minutes during the tournament.

Gillis has really been emerging in the last two weeks. He and Furst both had solid performances against Iowa.

It's really the same as last year. We don't have the depth we thought we had early. Newman, Waddell, TKR they aren't going to get many minutes in tournament. It's really a 7 man rotation (Gillis, Jenkins). If Edey has foul trouble obviously TKR will get more minutes, but that is the last thing we want to have happen.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Am I the only one that sees sort of an (uncanny) similarity between Smith/Loyer and Guy/Jerome?
other than Braden is a bit shorter and quicker than Jerome in my very limited viewings. I had previously considered that, but just never watched enough of Guy/Jerome

Reactions: clankhan
Big Newman fan, but honestly speaking he just isn't very good with the ball in his hands. Most likely why he played sparingly against Iowa's press last night.
It would help him if he didn't even consider shooting when entering unless he has about 8 feet of clearance of a clear drive to the basket. It would be nice if he just played D, rebounded and did NOT go on auto pilot when passing the ball. JUst be a positive for Purdue and after you get acclimated to teh game...possibly start looking to score just a bit more...just needs to get in the flow more

It would help him if he didn't even consider shooting when entering unless he has about 8 feet of clearance of a clear drive to the basket. It would be nice if he just played D, rebounded and did NOT go on auto pilot when passing the ball. JUst be a positive for Purdue and after you get acclimated to teh game...possibly start looking to score just a bit more...just needs to get in the flow more
The auto-pilot while passing is the best description I have read. Just needs to slow down and let the game come to him

The auto-pilot while passing is the best description I have read. Just needs to slow down and let the game come to him
That's always been his problem, he gets the ball and thinks shoot ( which would be great if he made them but inconsistent because its a panick shot not flow), I gotta score....struggles being part of a team....CMP knows.

That's always been his problem, he gets the ball and thinks shoot ( which would be great if he made them but inconsistent because its a panick shot not flow), I gotta score....struggles being part of a team....CMP knows.
He has shown he can be a great rebounder and has looked better on defense this year - thought he did well in his minutes against IU.

Hope he figures it out because having firepower off the bench is something we will need in the tourney.

It's really the same as last year. We don't have the depth we thought we had early. Newman, Waddell, TKR they aren't going to get many minutes in tournament. It's really a 7 man rotation (Gillis, Jenkins). If Edey has foul trouble obviously TKR will get more minutes, but that is the last thing we want to have happen.
SO true. I guess its the nature of the game that not everyone that seems to have scoring potential ends up scoring as much as we'd anticipated. Of course when one guy is getting 25 thats a lot less shots to go around.
I"m just dying for Newman to go in and bust his butt doing everything EXCEPT shooting and get into the flow with his rebounding and D. He'd be rewarded with minutes and maybe could slow down enough to be that guy we hoped for. Need he and/or Jenkins to be threats off the bench.

other than Braden is a bit shorter and quicker than Jerome in my very limited viewings. I had previously considered that, but just never watched enough of Guy/Jerome
Agreed - I think Guy has a couple inches on Smith though tbf. Will be entertaining watching them for the next few years.

Reactions: tjreese
Edey has just seems to accelerate his game and leadership , just incredible, but he can't do it alone, need balance from other guys.

Braiden has been very much a constant leader , a lot of pressure on him and he takes it very personally.

Jenkins seems to finally be getting settled , we really need his role leadership shooting

Fletch is Fletch, like Braiden just keeps growing, steady Eddie, fearless. Needs strengthen his defensive game.

Gillis Furst seem to play their roles , we need their defense, rebounding and 3 pt shots

TKR seems kinda hot and cold as of late after that game he was great when Edey was out sick, but we need him in his role.

Morton , lead defender , glue guy could use more offense from him , even if just 2 3pt additional per game.

Newman , never sure what's cooking here , but when he is focused on team play he's great , seems to want to force his will at times which isn't.

What are your guys Gals thoughts ?
Would be good if Newman played longer than 2-3 minutes. Only got 4 mins total against Iowa. Difficult to get into a nice rhythm. Painter takes him out for no good reason. Would be great if he got 8-10 mins at a time each half. He plays decent defense, rebounds well. Prob would do well playing with Smith, Loyer, Edey and Furst.

Morton is no lock down defender. Got abused in the second half against Iowa. Fly bye on Murray for a 3. Lost Mccaffery in the second half for a 3. Murray abused him 2-3 times off the dribble. Morton is mostly playing catch up off the dribble and picks. Wander what he would like if only playing 2-3 min at a time.

Jenkins is playing well, prob because getting more PT.

TKR is a question at times. Definitely a shoot first player. Very slow off his feet. One move, sixth grade dribble 5 times and flip over the left shoulder.

Would be good if Newman played longer than 2-3 minutes. Only got 4 mins total against Iowa. Difficult to get into a nice rhythm. Painter takes him out for no good reason. Would be great if he got 8-10 mins at a time each half. He plays decent defense, rebounds well. Prob would do well playing with Smith, Loyer, Edey and Furst.

Morton is no lock down defender. Got abused in the second half against Iowa. Fly bye on Murray for a 3. Lost Mccaffery in the second half for a 3. Murray abused him 2-3 times off the dribble. Morton is mostly playing catch up off the dribble and picks. Wander what he would like if only playing 2-3 min at a time.

Jenkins is playing well, prob because getting more PT.

TKR is a question at times. Definitely a shoot first player. Very slow off his feet. One move, sixth grade dribble 5 times and flip over the left shoulder.
Would be nice if Newman supporters grasped what good reasons really mean.
Reality is Newman frequently takes himself out for good reason. And the same reason, over and over.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT